What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walsh to Replace Mullen

roopy

Referee
Walsh has some seriously good attributes.
He is lightning off the mark and is as fast as many wingers.
He runs at the line and draws defenders really well. He has this move where he runs at an angle and draws two defenders, then does a Gidley no-look flick to a guy (often Mullen) running straight through the gap he has created. It is a beautiful move and i've not seen anyone else other than Dureau come close to getting it right.
He has a really powerful boot for a little guy - can kick a forty twenty like shelling peas.

In defence - he goes hard. He doesn't always stop them, but he slows them down enough for others to get there.

He defends out on the wing and can pull down a winger and run with them if he has to.

I think the biggest issue is whether or not he will be injury prone. I think he will rarely be tackled in posession because he moves the ball around - although he does challenge the line a lot - and the props will do well to find him in defence, because he moves right out to the wing pretty quickly.

Big Tim

First Grade
keeney said:
But they are still considerably bigger than Walsh, and it seems that boundary of weight is generally the key to succesful NRL playing sizes. I'm not putting the kybosh on the kid, I've never seen him play, but it seems with how injury prone he is, his weight is likely a factor. A factor that will impact more detrimentally at NRL level.

I'll be watching eagerly when he plays, we need another half. But, while being large doesn't make you a good footballer, being too small will discount you regardless of skill.

He has struggled with the same types of injuries Abraham has.... I dont think size is an issue in that department considering Abes is the biggest 5/8 at the moment. Your size does not make you injury prone.

I will say he has had some niggling injuries, but when he plays Smith will have something in place to preotect him.

Wait till you see the boy play.... you will most likely change your point of view on him.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Which may not be until late this year or perhaps even next year (if we keep him). When Walshy comes back from injuries IMO he comes back too early, making him even more likely to get re-injured. Depending on the severity of the injury sustained on Friday night, he might be best off to wait an extra week or two when he thinks he's right to ensure he is 100% fit.

roopy

Referee
bluesbreaker said:
Any word yet on his injury?
In the paper today he said he rolled the ankle a bit and came off as a precaution 10 minutes into the second half - but feels he will be fit for the weekend if chosen.

macavity

Referee
would be nice to see him in FG this week, but...

not so sure about Thorn, Carrol etc etc running at him, and would it be too big a change to our defensive structure?

Big Tim

First Grade
Like the Dogs need a half.......

Sherwin, Roberts and Holdsworth. Change clubs and play Reggies.... great idea.

Frederick

Staff member
macavity said:
would be nice to see him in FG this week, but...

not so sure about Thorn, Carrol etc etc running at him, and would it be too big a change to our defensive structure?
Doesn't matter which team he plays against, he's always gonna have the big men running right at him, unless Smith chooses to hide him out on the wing ala Preston Campbell at Penrith. If he's right to play, then I say let him play, let him have his chance to try and strike up a formidable combination with Mullo, Bedsy and Kurt.