What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors 'Close' to deal with Matai - in talks with White & Blair

One Warrior

Bench
Matai given deadline by Warriors
Newstalk ZB - July 29, 2010, 2:45 pm
As negotiations with Kiwis centre Steve Matai drag on, the Warriors may be ready to move on.

It's understood club management has told Matai and his manager Gavin Orr they have until tomorrow to make a decision on whether he will come to Auckland or not.

Matai's has been wavering for weeks, over moving to Auckland or sticking with Manly for another two seasons.

The Warriors turned their interest to Matai once Brent Tate announced he had signed to play next season at the North Queensland Cowboys.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/nrl/news/article/-/7668745/matai-given-deadline-warriors

Martli

Coach
Interesting. I don't reckon he'll make the decision that quick personally, but we'll see.

joseph1

Juniors
Good. If not we can use this money to buy another off contract player. Possibly a Tuiaki or a Pritchard or a Ben Farrar or an Eric Grothe.

Micistm

Bench
Matai given deadline by Warriors
Newstalk ZB - July 29, 2010, 2:45 pm
As negotiations with Kiwis centre Steve Matai drag on, the Warriors may be ready to move on.

It's understood club management has told Matai and his manager Gavin Orr they have until tomorrow to make a decision on whether he will come to Auckland or not.

Matai's has been wavering for weeks, over moving to Auckland or sticking with Manly for another two seasons.

The Warriors turned their interest to Matai once Brent Tate announced he had signed to play next season at the North Queensland Cowboys.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/nrl/news/article/-/7668745/matai-given-deadline-warriors

Good on them. About time. If you've got a couple of offers on the table, the only reason to get some more in is an attempt to bump up the price. Fair enough, but the risk is run that you'll price yourself out of the market. I reckon after all is said and done he'll stay where he is and where he wants to be, if he's taking that long to think about an offer odds are he doesn't really want it all that much IMO

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Good. If not we can use this money to buy another off contract player. Possibly a Tuiaki or a Pritchard or a Ben Farrar or an Eric Grothe.

I'd be keen on Tuiaki, but I think he has an injury similar to Price's.

It must be bad, if the Tigers aren't interested in re-signing him.

I personally think we should leave Brown in the centres and have Mateo as the other centre.

Iafeta

Referee
I'm guessing now we can finally put this one to bed. If we're still looking for decent go forward up front, I believe Bryan Norrie is off contract. He's a willing competitor up front.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Ben Farrar.

He is a quality little player, but no hope for the Warriors mate. I would bank on him being in Newcastle next season

The reason he switched from Nth Qld to Manly last season, was to be closer to his mum in Newcastle who was battling cancer, so NZ would certainly be out of the equation. Sadly I think he will be the sacrifce to retain Matai at Manly but he hasn't let us down in any position he has been asked to play

ozbash

Referee
hows about...........

DRAGONS fans should enjoy watching Jeremy Smith over the next few weeks as they'll be his last for the club.
Smith will announce his future after Sunday's clash against Brisbane: a line-ball decision between Newcastle and Cronulla.

The Knights have already tabled a three-year offer for the Kiwi hardman, while Cronulla are willing to upgrade from two to three seasons to round-out what would rank as one of the NRL's most intimidating back-rows alongside skipper-in-waiting Paul Gallen.

St George Illawarra always needed to shed players to accommodate Mark Gasnier's return and Smith, under contract for another year, could be the first of several to go prematurely. Take it as fact that he's being released with a heavy heart by Dragons coach Wayne Bennett, who made Smith a priority signing before he arrived at Wollongong

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-ponders-future/story-e6frexnr-1225898707586

Meth

Staff member
hows about...........

DRAGONS fans should enjoy watching Jeremy Smith over the next few weeks as they'll be his last for the club.
Smith will announce his future after Sunday's clash against Brisbane: a line-ball decision between Newcastle and Cronulla.

The Knights have already tabled a three-year offer for the Kiwi hardman, while Cronulla are willing to upgrade from two to three seasons to round-out what would rank as one of the NRL's most intimidating back-rows alongside skipper-in-waiting Paul Gallen.

St George Illawarra always needed to shed players to accommodate Mark Gasnier's return and Smith, under contract for another year, could be the first of several to go prematurely. Take it as fact that he's being released with a heavy heart by Dragons coach Wayne Bennett, who made Smith a priority signing before he arrived at Wollongong

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-ponders-future/story-e6frexnr-1225898707586

No.

A good player, but not what we need

Iafeta

Referee
hows about...........

The three areas I would entertain thoughts of going for are hooker (although I'm kinda against it because I don't want obstacles placed in front of Mara and Nafe), front row and centre. Backrow should be the last area of priority, we're very strong there.

By the way, how good is Lewis Brown going? For a back rower he has awesome instinct.

Micistm

Bench

Ditto. I mean, FFS, how long does it take to decide yes or no? If you get a job offer for more money, you may go to your employer to see if he'll match it, then you decide within a week. This has dragged on far too long and been more trouble than it's worth IMO

Martli

Coach
And when I think about it, when this whole thing started Matai was wanting to sort his future out quickly. It's now dragged on for at least a month. Bit of a joke really.

FYI - We've withdrawn our offer to Steve. They haven't even bothered giving us an answer and the deadline has now passed.

Time waster of the highest order.