What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Iafeta

Referee
i spoke with the same Jurno today who maintains that Wigan want Hurrell...

interesrtingly he was also adamant that any transfer fee is NOT included under the salary cap.

he used Sam Burgess as an example... i googled it and came up with the following...

from: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-up-a-salarycap-minefield-20101108-17kic.html

interesting if you ask me... i would say the Warriors will just pay the fee directly to wigan to buy out his contract.

nevemind any trades...

Exactly the way I would do it. Finding three chaps who want to go to Wigan would be tough enough, but my feeling is have as much as having a top player is great, having experienced depth putting pressure on the first graders is crucial.

Is that you Ivan ????????

Not really. I don't think we can make the 8. But the last say 3 weeks are not the efforts of a team that will stay at a 1 and 6 level. We've also had bad starts before and come home strong before.

Diesel

Referee
This year is getting used to Elliott's game plans and style. Some players of our under 20's have had 4 coaches in 3 years, Aukland (u20's), then Ivan (2011), Bluey (2012) and now ME this season, and that's gotta be difficult to adjust and undo what you have been working on.

Once we get a few games at home we should start clicking and avoid the spoon, the finals are goneski for us.

We've also had going against us;
Round 1 Parra needing to prove a point with their new coach
Round 2, nearly got the win, just wasn't our night
Round 3, walking into an ambush at Cronulla with their suspened coach reinstated
Round 4, win v Cows
Round 5, vs Souths, no one gave us a chance and it was a intercept run away try the difference
Round 6, vs Canberra in Canberra, even our best sides since we started have struggled there plus dodgy refs.
Round 7, vs Melbourne in Melbourne who have won 15 straight.

Jakob loko aye... Very interesting rumour, although I'd think chambers was more our cup of tea.

The recruitment of a centre would lend weight to the hurrell trade

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
In fairness, you take out some very dubious home charlie refereeing in Canberra and Melbourne, and a couple of run away tries against the run of play against Souths, all of a sudden we're 3 and 4 and on good momentum. I don't think we're that far off. I fully expect us to win at least the next 2.

I'm totally with you on this, with a bit of luck we'd probably be on the fringes of the top 8 by now. We are *definitely* better than wooden spooners, we're just a team who's failing to close out games and winning the small 50/50 moments that make or break a match. Its like we've forgotten how to win, once we get a few under the belt we'll be right.

Elliott has gone through the phase of undoing all the crap Bluey brought into the side, and we're hovering just below the surface of becoming a team that can beat most in the NRL.

I'm happy with our side apart from Leuluai and Taylor (JBro is injury cover only). And at least Thomas defends ok.

Diesel

Referee
Maybe it's my phone but that link is just bringing up a Bigpond site and searches on spam.

I'll do the old fashion Google search

Rich102

Staff member
The Parramatta Eels are fighting to retain gun centre Jacob Loko, who has landed a mammoth offer from cashed-up New Zealand Warriors.
We can reveal that Loko – included in this year’s Emerging Blues squad after missing 1 1/2 seasons because of a double knee reconstruction – has been in the Warriors’ sights for months.
The Kiwi offer is believed to be around $500,000 a season – huge money for a kid who’s only played 16 NRL games.
Although they’re on the verge of a roster shake-out, Eels officials desperately want to stop the 20-year-old from becoming the latest junior prodigy to jump ship.
Loko is extremely close to his mother and Parramatta hope her influence will persuade him to stay.
Loko’s centre partner Ryan Morgan is also a free agent and has attracted interest closer to home, with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Manly Sea Eagles making recent inquiries.

http://www.nospam9/nrl/eels-fighting-to-retain-young-centre-pair-9303/

Illiterate

Juniors
We need to sign a winger but that is way to much for loko. If we have to pay crazy money for tomkins I hope we don't get him.we have got a decent squad and it looks like they are starting to click we should be spending all this money we have under the cap on retaining our squad and signing them to long term deals.

spear tackle

Juniors
We need to sign a winger but that is way to much for loko. If we have to pay crazy money for tomkins I hope we don't get him.we have got a decent squad and it looks like they are starting to click we should be spending all this money we have under the cap on retaining our squad and signing them to long term deals.

I think thats been one of our problems for years is squad retention,going right back to the day the club was created.
More often than not we have to pay over true market value to sign proven players and signing up emerging players is a bit hit and miss. The ones that don't measure up disapear back into obscurity while the other get a big cash offer that we either can't or wont match and they shoot through.

Rich102

Staff member
The Parramatta Eels are fighting to retain gun centre Jacob Loko, who has landed a mammoth offer from cashed-up New Zealand Warriors.

We can reveal that Loko ? included in this year?s Emerging Blues squad after missing 1 1/2 seasons because of a double knee reconstruction ? has been in the Warriors? sights for months.
The Kiwi offer is believed to be around $500,000 a season ? huge money for a kid who?s only played 16 NRL games.
Although they?re on the verge of a roster shake-out, Eels officials desperately want to stop the 20-year-old from becoming the latest junior prodigy to jump ship.
Loko is extremely close to his mother and Parramatta hope her influence will persuade him to stay.
Loko?s centre partner Ryan Morgan is also a free agent and has attracted interest closer to home, with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Manly Sea Eagles making recent inquiries.​

The danger with this, as I see it, is the huge sum for a player with only 16 first grade games.
It sets a benchmark for other players we recruit.
How much will we pay our graduating juniors? $500,000 after 16 games?
Then how much to re-sign a proven player?

Fast Eddie

First Grade

That's part of the problem with Warriors fans, they overate a bunch of players in the squad who are just average NRL players, or down the road will just be solid NRL players. I look at this this squad and see plenty of dead wood or players who I couldn't care less if they walked at the end of the season. Case and point Elijah Taylor, was never a fan. Thought he brought very little on attack and while he racked up tackle numbers that meant little with the amount of poor reads, rushing out of the line and missed tackles from shirt grabbing he did. But most Warriors fans would have been furious if you said last year he was gonna leave the club, now no one couldn't care less he's going. There is a only a few players we have to worry about retaining and without looking atthe contract list Shaun Johnson is the only one of contract in the next year or two I think. I'd like to keep Mateo but also wouldn't be too bothered if he went, and I think it would be best for Vatuvei and the club if he went to the ESL/Jap Union

Abdullah

Juniors
I'm happy they realise they need another centre to partner nielsen but i think the money offer for Loko is too much....why not try and get Chambers from Storm who is already proven star...as the Warriors sadly found out. No need to get expensive wingers...lots of wingers with good basic speed, good pair of hands, and brains on defence. Maybe they need to turn Hurrell into another Tuiaki...he has speed and blockbusting strength to be the next star winger of NRL.

Iafeta

Referee
Jakob loko aye... Very interesting rumour, although I'd think chambers was more our cup of tea.

The recruitment of a centre would lend weight to the hurrell trade

I'm honestly not trying to be a smart alec, but who is Jacob Loko? I know he plays for Parra, but their style for years has bored me to tears (nice rhyme, it whats I do).

That sounds like a ridiculous offer. Is he any good?

Hurrell going would be a disaster. There are two backs in our squad who have the potential to be game winners - Johnson and Hurrell (when fit Locke too). You don't trade those players. You add to them. You add a Tomkins to that, you don't take away from it.

I'm totally with you on this, with a bit of luck we'd probably be on the fringes of the top 8 by now. We are *definitely* better than wooden spooners, we're just a team who's failing to close out games and winning the small 50/50 moments that make or break a match. Its like we've forgotten how to win, once we get a few under the belt we'll be right.

Elliott has gone through the phase of undoing all the crap Bluey brought into the side, and we're hovering just below the surface of becoming a team that can beat most in the NRL.

I'm happy with our side apart from Leuluai and Taylor (JBro is injury cover only). And at least Thomas defends ok.

Well, that's exactly where I'm coming from. I know where we sit in the table currently, but we are far better than a wooden spoon contender. I'm not picking a top 8 now this year, but I certainly am next year.

Scott

Bench
Jacob Loko is exactly the same type of player as Hurrell. Big, strong, dumb, not much chop on defence and has hands like feet.

If we were to through money at a young centre, Dylan Walker is the kid i'd be buying. He'd come at half the price of Loko, has serious gas and is an exceptional goal kicker. He hasn't yet player NRL, but it is only a matter of time. He is only 18 years old, but i'd say he is light years ahead of any of our junior backs.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/nycplayerprofiledisplay/Rabbitohs-NYC/Dylan Walker/6301

ozbash

Referee
That's part of the problem with Warriors fans, they overate a bunch of players in the squad who are just average NRL players, or down the road will just be solid NRL players.

Its an average team with a few above average players.

Iafeta

Referee
I think we my need to pull the pin on this one. Tomkins is after $900k-$1m per year apparently. That's MASSIVE overs for a guy who's never played in the NRL.

shiznit

Coach
I think we my need to pull the pin on this one. Tomkins is after $900k-$1m per year apparently. That's MASSIVE overs for a guy who's never played in the NRL.
meh... why not IMO...

the Warriors never spend close to the cap... and no one half decent wants to come to the club.

why not pay massive overs for a guy who is a risk, and untried in the NRL.. but has a massive upside.

IMO your better off spending 900K on a player like tomkins than be a million under the cap or even worse... spend 900K on a couple of journeymen from other NRL clubs.

sometimes you gotta take a risk...

if it fails... ohh well... you can always go back to paying overs on solid journeymen.

jamaman

Juniors

The guy will adapt to the nrl no worries! I remember they said the same about Ellery Hanly

shiznit

Coach
i actually think this will help Locke...

i could see kevin locke playing the best football of his career in the 2nd half of this season.

IMO the competition for positions only helps the side...

and its not just fullback... he's a half as well...