What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

tangalife

Juniors
@ the doubters: Tomkins owned us and the Aussies at the last four nations. He has a good reputation and many ppl say he would be one of the top fullbacks in the NRL if he came over.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tomkins would command a big pay packet, so Warriors would have to lose three pretty big names to accommodate him.

Which may not be all bad if Vatuvei is one of them.

He's quite fast and has a very good passing game. His combination with Josh Charnley has been unbeatable.

2010 - Tomkins 1 try, Charnley 1 try (in 1 game)
2011 - Tomkins 33 tries, Charnley 27 tries
2012 - Tomkins 36 tries, Charnley 36 tries
2013 - Tomkins 14 tries, Charnley 11 tries (after 11 games)

Give Tomkins one good winger to work with.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
How can we trade them for 2014 when they're not contracted to us yet for 2014?

It would be like us trying to offer Taylor as a trade.

:o:o:eek: My bad.
Can we do that anyway :crazy:

So that pretty much rules out anyone off-contract, unless we are intending to re-sign them and trade them straight off which seems bizarre

chrisD

Coach
@ the doubters: Tomkins owned us and the Aussies at the last four nations. He has a good reputation and many ppl say he would be one of the top fullbacks in the NRL if he came over.

People are wrong, he's not up there with the likes of Slater, GI, Hayne, Stewart, Bowen, Barba.

He's down there with Boyd, Locke and Gordon.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I've never seem him play and yet I'll still blindly vouch for this.

I don't care how good he is in the ESL, the NRL is so far above it to the degree that almost every NRL club would comfortably thrash the best ESL club.

I expect him (if he comes here) to be decent at best, pretty much where Locke is. And if not that, worse.

You are so naive and ignorant that you should really not try discuss this topic. You obviously have no knowledge on that matter.

shiznit

Coach
Cant see any truth behind this.

If there is, you'd be looking at 3 of the star names of those off contract, Vatuvei probably, Mateo perhaps? Locke?

I find it funny people are suggesting Ropati, Mara, Steve Raprira and Fish.
You really think they'd let an international player go for either an injury prone centre and 2 bit part, non-regular 1st graders?

it can definitely happen... and its happened before...

a promising young player from the Warriors(Henry Paul) swapped with an international Representative(Andy Platt) from Wigan.

that was shithouse for the Warriors... but it worked out pretty awesomely for Wigan...

so you can definitely see value for Wigan if they get the right young player. a guy like Fishiahi could be highly appealing for them considering how talented he is.

there could also be interest in a guy like Vatuvei who is an established international who would bring fans through the gate for Wigan.

so if you combine the right players you could make a decent package for Wigan.

personally i cant see it happening... trade deals are very tough to get through because there are so many extra variables that can go wrong...

shiznit

Coach
to be honest though... i reckon if anyone would likely do some trade like this it would be South Sydney.

Michael Maguire got the best out of him at Wigan... the english players already there... the fact they are a higher profile sydney team.

they have a few older players they could trade like Asotasi and Crocker... maybe move Sutton to lock and have Tomkins in the halves...

shiznit

Coach
and one more thing that came to mind... Would Kevin Locke even be an option to trade considering the likes of Michael Crocker couldn't get a working visa because of previous convictions.

Locke would have a few red flags...

vvvrulz

Coach
You are so naive and ignorant that you should really not try discuss this topic. You obviously have no knowledge on that matter.

Ok lets simplify then, is the NRL a tougher competition than the ESL? Yes.

Have ESL players who made the move down here been just as good as they were there? Barring few exceptions, no.

Do you dispute that?

The NRL players head over there in their career twilights or when they can't make the first cut into an NRL team. These guys make the starting 13 of the likes of Leeds and Wigan.

The world club challenge is a one off exhibition match almost always held in the UK and after the NRL grand final, that's not a basis for comparison between the leagues.

Maybe he's had strong games at the international level and is an ESL superstar, but that's not 26 weeks of high quality NRL standard footy. I'm making a very simple point here and that is however good he is there, it doesn't automatically equate to how good he will be here.

Never said he'd struggle, but he won't magically be another Slater. That's a huge assumption.

I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon for pulling ESL players no matter how good they are there.

shiznit

Coach
Ok lets simplify then, is the NRL a tougher competition than the ESL? Yes.

Have ESL players who made the move down here been just as good as they were there? Barring few exceptions, no.

Do you dispute that?

The NRL players head over there in their career twilights or when they can't make the first cut into an NRL team. These guys make the starting 13 of the likes of Leeds and Wigan.

The world club challenge is a one off exhibition match almost always held in the UK and after the NRL grand final, that's not a basis for comparison between the leagues.

Maybe he's had strong games at the international level and is an ESL superstar, but that's not 26 weeks of high quality NRL standard footy. I'm making a very simple point here and that is however good he is there, it doesn't automatically equate to how good he will be here.

Never said he'd struggle, but he won't magically be another Slater. That's a huge assumption.

I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon for pulling ESL players no matter how good they are there.

i dispute that... they are not exceptions... they are the majority. there haven't been many who have made the big decision to come down to the NRL.

but when they have they have been a wild success.

when in the last 10 years has a UK player come down from the ESL in they're prime and failed??

a very young Chris Thorman almost 10 years ago?? and you could barely say he was in his prime... nor would call him an elite player from the ESL

in that time we've had Adrian Morley, Gareth Ellis, Sam Burgess & James Graham.

that tells you that elite rugby league players are the same across the world.

Last edited:

Scott

Bench
I like Sam Tomkins as a player. He is pure quality. Is he a better option than Locke as the Warriors fullback? I'm not so sure. I would probably prefer Locke.

Tomkins is a fullback, not a half/five-eighth. Forget about seeing him in 6 or 7. If he comes, he plays at fullback, simple as that.

Could Locke play in the halves? More than likely, but lets face it, he is a pure fullback. We haven't seen the best of Locke yet. Lets not pension him off somewhere like we did with Motu Tony, lets back him!!

shiznit

Coach
meh... Locke seems like he's too comfortable at the moment... i could see both the Warriors and Locke benefit from him going elsewhere.

and Sam Tomkins is on another f**ken planet to Kevin Locke... Kevin Locke is hardly anything special... he lacks in far too many areas to be in the top echelon of fullbacks.

Tomkins is definitely in that class...

Scott

Bench
it's Wakefield. Please. Clint Greenshields was a world class player in ESL. Rangi Chase is a man of steel winner.

As said previously, I'm a fan of Tomkins, I have no doubt he would be a star in the NRL. He would however take at least half an NRL season to find his feet imo. I would applaud his signing if we got him.

Part of me is wondering whether or not this is a big beat off, to help in someway justify Dean Bell as a valuable employee of the club!

Rebel

First Grade
Don't think it would happen. But..

1 Locke
2 Fishiahii
3 Hurrell
4 Nielson
5 Laumepe
6 Tomkins
7 Johnson
8 Rapira
9 Leuluai
10 Matulino
11 Mateo
12 Mannering
13 Lowrie

14 Godinet
15 Vatuvei
16 Lillyman
17 Packer

That's a mean team. They can have friend, Tupou and steve raps.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
His defense is pretty pathetic, but there's no doubting he's a world class player.

Would like to know who or what we're giving up for him before I give an opinion on it being a good or bad signing.

vvvrulz

Coach
Don't think it would happen. But..

1 Locke
2 Fishiahii
3 Hurrell
4 Nielson
5 Laumepe
6 Tomkins
7 Johnson
8 Rapira
9 Leuluai
10 Matulino
11 Mateo
12 Mannering
13 Lowrie

14 Godinet
15 Vatuvei
16 Lillyman
17 Packer

That's a mean team. They can have friend, Tupou and steve raps.

:crazy:

Exactly the sort of madness I don't want happening to sign up Tomkins.