What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Skinner

Coach
Given that the OP is quoting from something called the Lurker Rumour File, does anyone have anything more concrete. All I can find is where he has expressed an interest in playing NRL in Australia with Burgess and the usual suspects. Auckland does not appear to be in his sights.

I'm calling BS on this one. Love to be proved wrong though.

Big man

Juniors
All I will say is WOW! I've watch this kid from the start of his career and he is the real deal, at fullback, he will be as influential in games as Inglis is for Souths, you can quote me on this comment in 12 months time.

Diesel

Referee
I'll see what The Game Plan says tonight, last week we were offering big money to Carney, lets see if we are mentioned two weeks in a row for a 5/8th

shiznit

Coach
Ahhhh the old "mate" source, backed up by the mole - fabulous
the first i heard about this was from this thread yesterday... so of course i called someone i know who's close to the club for a catch up...

he didn't know anything about it... he said as far as he was aware the club didn't have any pending deals before bell left for the UK...

so if there is actually something to this... its been completely off bells back while he's been away.

the only thing i could find about it online was from the Mole on Twitter...

warrior poet

Juniors
Don't think it would happen. But..

1 Locke
2 Fishiahii
3 Hurrell
4 Nielson
5 Laumepe
6 Tomkins
7 Johnson
8 Rapira
9 Leuluai
10 Matulino
11 Mateo
12 Mannering
13 Lowrie

14 Godinet
15 Vatuvei
16 Lillyman
17 Packer

That's a mean team. They can have friend, Tupou and steve raps.

whats with all the love for fish that some fans have... he has never done anything great for the warriors (and probably never will). he has speed but other than that he's crap... one of the worst wingers in the nrl and he's not an nrl level fullback. It would be best if he was one of the players we trade... if rangi chase can make it in the superleague anyone can!

give them fish, peyroux (who probably wont play for us much) and packer (whose lost much of his impact and skill as his size has increased)

shiznit

Coach
and its pretty tough to take Mole's tweets seriously when they range from...

@BrandonSpooner 4h
@RLW_Mole Get up the Mole! Never fails by far my favorite ozzy on the pulse as usual. Any good news for the mighty warriors?

‏@RLW_Mole 4h
@BrandonSpooner Tomkins... Close.

to this...

‏@RLW_Mole 17 Apr
@HDiddyNZ SBW passed gas at training the other day and FOX Sports put out a news alert

Iafeta

Referee
I find him to be fairly accurate compared to other pundits.

Is it just me, or would we rather the Warriors stump up for a transfer fee than necessarily trade off players?

Diesel

Referee
Well they are that far under the cap they could do it.

Being under the cap, and paying overs for the above average players, it makes you realise some of our players aren't up for it and wouldn't get a start at other clubs and why the Warriors don't go for players they are in a chance for. Price and Wiki are good examples of what we can do

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
whats with all the love for fish that some fans have... he has never done anything great for the warriors (and probably never will). he has speed but other than that he's crap... one of the worst wingers in the nrl and he's not an nrl level fullback.

Totally agree with this, unless you gift wrap him some space to run through he's hopeless.

vvvrulz

Coach
Wigan vs Wakelfield from about a week ago... this is a highlight package for the whole game... not a Tomkins fan trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCs4IJ2Eozc

tomkins is the fullback.

he's a f**king upgrade from Locke...

That was impressive, but carving up an average-at-best ESL team that was playing with 12 men doesn't convince me as an "upgrade from Locke". Locke is a bit up and down but he's never been total rubbish and has great potential, in 2011 was right up there with the best of the NRL.

Tomkins *could* be great when he comes here, but lets not magically count him as the next Billy Slater based on smashing the Wakefield Wildcats.

Lets see him do that to the Melbourne Storm during regular NRL season.

shiznit

Coach
That was impressive, but carving up an average-at-best ESL team that was playing with 12 men doesn't convince me as an "upgrade from Locke". Locke is a bit up and down but he's never been total rubbish and has great potential, in 2011 was right up there with the best of the NRL.

Tomkins *could* be great when he comes here, but lets not magically count him as the next Billy Slater based on smashing the Wakefield Wildcats.

Lets see him do that to the Melbourne Storm during regular NRL season.
ive seen him tear up the Kangaroos

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Have ESL players who made the move down here been just as good as they were there? Barring few exceptions, no.

Do you dispute that?

Yes. Every current English international who has come here in the last 5 or so years has been great. You''re making out that Tomkins is just some run of the mill ESL player, for starters he is an international (ie Ellis, Burgess, Graham), very highly rated (ie Ellis, Burgess, Graham)

The NRL players head over there in their career twilights or when they can't make the first cut into an NRL team. These guys make the starting 13 of the likes of Leeds and Wigan.

The world club challenge is a one off exhibition match almost always held in the UK and after the NRL grand final, that's not a basis for comparison between the leagues.

If any of the top 2 or even top 3 teams were somehow transplanted down here for an NRL season, sure they would not win the thing but they wouldn't "be thrashed by the worst NRL teams" or whatever it was you said.

Maybe he's had strong games at the international level and is an ESL superstar, but that's not 26 weeks of high quality NRL standard footy. I'm making a very simple point here and that is however good he is there, it doesn't automatically equate to how good he will be here.

Never said he'd struggle, but he won't magically be another Slater. That's a huge assumption.

I'm not about to jump on the bandwagon for pulling ESL players no matter how good they are there.

Pure stupidity. I assume with that attitude you would have spouted the same bullshit if in the last few years we were talking of getting Burgess, Ellis or Graham :lol:. "Oh but all they've done is carve up a weaker competition and go really well in Internationals, you know against the best players the NRL has to offer" Hell even George Burgess has shown that England have some great young players. And Jamie Lyon almost fits that criteria as well.

And then you made it out we would be crazy to get rid of who will be a 33 year old injury prone Nathan Friend if it meant getting a 24 year old talent who could absolutely be anything, and at worst will be a good to very good fullback/half in the NRL, a player you know absolutely nothing about. :lol: Somehow I think if you asked the 16 NRL coaches if they would be willing to get rid of Nathan Friend to get Sam Tomkins, they would. But then again they have probably actually watched the bloke play and see what he can do instead of making terrible assumptions based on the competition he's been playing in. And not to mention we have a readymade replacement sitting right there in Thomas Leuluai.

He'll probably end up going to the Titans or something, and in a season or two will be carving up ala Ben Barba and you'll be going on about how we should have made a better effort at signing him. :lol:

Last edited: