What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Given that the OP is quoting from something called the Lurker Rumour File, does anyone have anything more concrete. All I can find is where he has expressed an interest in playing NRL in Australia with Burgess and the usual suspects. Auckland does not appear to be in his sights.

I'm calling BS on this one. Love to be proved wrong though.
shhh, he might not know we're a different island.

vvvrulz

Coach
If any of the top 2 or even top 3 teams were somehow transplanted down here for an NRL season, sure they would not win the thing but they wouldn't "be thrashed by the worst NRL teams" or whatever it was you said.

Wigan are supposed to be the best team in the ESL? They have Hame Lauaki as a starting prop and as others mentioned guys like Rangi Chase are huge in the ESL. Yes I reckon most NRL teams would beat Wigan, and there are typically 2-3 top teams in the ESL and the rest are mostly fodder. The difference between the two leagues is huge.

Pure stupidity. I assume with that attitude you would have spouted the same bullshit if in the last few years we were talking of getting Burgess, Ellis or Graham

Actually I stand corrected there, but I still don't think it means Tomkins will be an automatic success. That's still a *big* assumption. I don't have a problem with signing him, I have a problem with getting ultra excited about an ESL player and being ready to give up three players for him when instead we should be investing in a top class NRL #6. Locke is fine at fullback.

And then you made it out we would be crazy to get rid of who will be a 33 year old injury prone Nathan Friend if it meant getting a 24 year old talent who could absolutely be anything, .... And not to mention we have a readymade replacement sitting right there in Thomas Leuluai.

Leuluai is an extremely average player, there's no way he replaces Friend.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Actually I stand corrected there, but I still don't think it means Tomkins will be an automatic success. That's still a *big* assumption. I don't have a problem with signing him, I have a problem with getting ultra excited about an ESL player and being ready to give up three players for him when instead we should be investing in a top class NRL #6. Locke is fine at fullback.

Yeah I guess it would be hard to get excited about a player you've never watched or know anything about at all.

Leuluai is an extremely average player, there's no way he replaces Friend.

Average NRL half, good NRL hooker without a doubt. Watch some League outside of Warriors games.

If it anything it solves our problem, we have Leuluai on the books for three years, I'd much rather see him playing hooker which he goes well at with a gun fullback and maybe Locke at 6 (or vice versa) rather than keep Friend for an extra year, keep Leuluai at 6 and no Sam Tomkins. :lol: Step back and actually think about what you're saying.

vvvrulz

Coach
Average NRL half, good NRL hooker without a doubt. .

Based on? Please don't say success at ESL. Maybe he is? We don't know.

And again I'm not bagging on Tomkins and I haven't seen anything of him, but even if he was as good as Billy Slater I'm being mindful that he hasn't played 26 weeks of NRL standard footy. How good he will go is an unknown not a given.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Based on? Please don't say success at ESL. Maybe he is? We don't know.

International Rugby League. Against the best players in the world. Tough defender, can make some decent meters out of dummy half, good service and also provides a kicking game as well. So based on knowing the guys skills and watching him use them against Australia and England.

And again I'm not bagging on Tomkins and I haven't seen anything of him, but even if he was as good as Billy Slater I'm being mindful that he hasn't played 26 weeks of NRL standard footy. How good he will go is an unknown not a given.

I give up. If you can't get excited about even the slight possibility of signing someone like Sam Tomkins than your loss.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
And you also make out that trying to get Sam Tomkins is/would stop us from getting a top quality 6, as it's simple as that. Apparently we have offered Todd Carney huge money, the fact of the matter is quality Australian players are willing to take less to stay in Australia. Outside of Carney what other top quality 6's, (I'm guessing top quality means top 3-4 in the game?) are there available that we could realistically sign?

Good ol Moley is full-o-crap.

All of a sudden now we're not going to get Tomkins, and according to him we are chasing a "QLD centre" and are "65%" of the way towards signing him.

Take anything that gay little rodent says with a heavy dose of salt.

Diesel

Referee
Tate's getting slow, I hope it's not Tonga and it won't be Inglis or Hodges. Probably Winterstien ...who the f**k knows

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8572800/Warriors-take-interest-in-Sam-Tomkins

Warriors coach Matt Elliott has confirmed the club are interested in England's Sam Tomkins for next season, while he will look at bringing in a replacement for Steve Rapira for this year.
The Wigan Warriors fullback is one of the biggest names in the English Super League and has represented his country on 18 occasions.
He has been named as an official ambassador for the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, which confirms his stature in the English game.
Tomkins is believed to also have the Cronulla Sharks showing interest in him as well as rugby union side Saracens.
Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah and Dean Bell, the general manager of football operations both recently made a trip to the UK and there have been rumours emanating from England that Tomkins was on their shopping list.
Elliott was quizzed about this after Warriors training today and confirmed that he is one of a number of players they're talking to.
"There is always truth to rumours," Elliott said.
"We are in the market for players and he's a player that is possibly on the market.
"He is not the only player we're speaking to, obviously there is attention around him because he's got some profile in the UK.
"We are certainly not the only club talking to him as well. I am really focussed on who we've got here at the moment.
"The one thing about having belief is having it questioned and we're certainly having it questioned at the moment with some of the things that are happening around our performances.
"I feel like our efforts allow us to win games, but our concentration got in the way."
Signing a player like Tomkins for the 2014 season would send a signal to the rest of the NRL that the Warriors should be considered as serious Grand Final contenders.
"It is our responsibility to our members and our stakeholders to make sure that when players of high quality come on the market that we're in the game of trying to get them to come to this fantastic club," said Elliott.
"As I said, there are a lot of players we're talking to at the moment, that's not because we're dissatisfied with who we've got here, it's because we want to bolster our stocks and we want to do the right thing by our members and stakeholders."
Meanwhile, it was confirmed today that Steve Rapira is gone for the season. The younger of the Rapira brothers ruptured the ACL in his right knee playing for the Auckland Vulcans in the NSW Cup last weekend.

"It is disappointing for Steve, the poor guy has had a plethora of injuries," Elliott said.
"When you get soft tissue injuries like hamstrings and groins you can take a bit of responsibility about what happens to your players but when it's broken jaws and fractured limbs, it's a by product of the sport.
"But I wish someone else was getting the by product as much as we are at the moment."
Elliott said he will look at bringing a player into the club for the rest of the season to replace Rapira, but admitted that might be tough to do.
"Clubs aren't looking to offload this year, but they normally do around this time of year.
"The salary cap has gone up and everyone is already under contract, clubs tend to have a bit of space, but it's something we are going to have to consider to bolster our numbers."

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Apparently we're looking at young UK props while we're over there.

Would prefer we worried about getting a back rower who can actually break the line or hit a gap on occasions.