What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to Sign Sam Tomkins

Rich102

Staff member
We have Lillyman, Packer, Matulino, Sam Rapira & Gubb as props. What use would Tolman be? :?

This year meters per game (average):

Sam Rapira 55
Matulino 107.5
Lillyman 101.5
Packer 51.5

Tolman 126. More meters per game than Rapira & Packer combined.

This is where our problems start IMO.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
:lol: nice stats. Tolman is not a bad metre eater but

Tolman 58 mins a game.

Packer 29 mins

Rapira 40 mins

Iafeta

Referee
The other thing to factor into the equation is the possession rates. How many games this year have we had 40-45% possession? Fairly hard to make ground in that situation for two reasons - 1 you're tired from defending, 2 they don't have as much of a chance to get their hands on the ball.

I'd rather look at error rates by props per game at the moment. IMO, if we clean up our unforced errors in the forwards we'll be a long way to fixing our issues.

TheDMC

Bench
The other thing to factor into the equation is the possession rates. How many games this year have we had 40-45% possession? Fairly hard to make ground in that situation for two reasons - 1 you're tired from defending, 2 they don't have as much of a chance to get their hands on the ball.

I'd rather look at error rates by props per game at the moment. IMO, if we clean up our unforced errors in the forwards we'll be a long way to fixing our issues.

Agreed

vvvrulz

Coach
I've been trolling through Youtube vids to get an idea of Tomkins, he's definitely creative on attack and has a good burst of speed. If he's given space to run he will make things happen.

But still question marks around his defensive reads, covering tackles, defusing bombs and such. Yes he did well internationally on attack, but England lost every game they played against Australia and easily. And a few test matches is not a full NRL season, he'll need to do it week in and week out with very few 'easy beats'.

If we do sign him I hope it doesn't turn into another Fish situation where suddenly the gaps are gone and he's a bit clueless. Of course that's only an analogy, he's obviously better than Fish.

Tomkins might work better as a #6 over here, but again I'm not counting my chickens about him.

Iafeta

Referee
I still think Fisiiahi's got value TBH. A couple of games this year I thought he was quite solid. I watched the Tongan/Samoan game, and I saw Carlos Tuimavave throw a beautiful cut out pass to his wing man, right on the chest... its a pity the likes of Fisiiahi never seem to get that type of pass from Leuluai. I'm hoping we don't create a situation where Carlos doesn't get time to come through into first grade at the Warriors to settle - I think he could be a good ball player on the edges and it would certainly help out the finishers like Fisiiahi.

vvvrulz

Coach
I see some merit in that, I remember a couple of times Mateo set him up beautifully early last year. Sounds like he's a McKinnon type player who can lurk behind our hookers and halves waiting for that half chance to run into a hole. Once he's through he's pretty much off.

Trouble is on defence he's absolutely awful which means we need to stick him on the wings, where he sits around doing nothing unless you lay it to him on a silver platter.

Why isn't there any announcements from our club about Tomkins, anyone seen or heard anything yet? Or just plain B.S to give everyone false hope (That's if he lives up to his hype)

tangalife

Juniors
I still think Fisiiahi's got value TBH. A couple of games this year I thought he was quite solid. I watched the Tongan/Samoan game, and I saw Carlos Tuimavave throw a beautiful cut out pass to his wing man, right on the chest... its a pity the likes of Fisiiahi never seem to get that type of pass from Leuluai. I'm hoping we don't create a situation where Carlos doesn't get time to come through into first grade at the Warriors to settle - I think he could be a good ball player on the edges and it would certainly help out the finishers like Fisiiahi.

Carlos did a couple of good moves end of last year from full back with cut out balls, thought it was quite good having a halvy type player come in from FB on attack near the edges.

One Warrior

Bench
This is the strongest hint yet.

That will include superstar full-back Sam Tomkins, who is expected to move to New Zealand Warriors.

Lenagan said: “I don’t have a problem with it. It might be next year or the year after but he will certainly go.

“There is a chance it could be at the end of this season. We have long contracts with our players and I could do exactly the same with Sam as Lee and Gareth, the only difference is the fee would be bigger.

“Sam is at the top of his game and he’s won everything there is to win here.

“He could win a few more over here but the challenge is not that strong.

“If he goes over at 24 or 25-years-old and spends three years there, there’s a good chance he’ll come back to Wigan at 28.

“It will be the right thing to let Sam go to the NRL.

“We spent a lot of time with New Zealand Warriors recently and there is a special relationship there.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ns-for-Wigan-but-Sam-Tomkins-could-leave.html

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Sounds imminent!

Here's a hypothetical for you all. If Tomkins does sign with us and becomes a revelation in the NRL. Will the restore some faith in Dean Bell???

Iafeta

Referee
I gotta say, I'm still sceptical about trading 3 players. We're miles under the salary cap, and I doubt Wigan want duds. Unless they're the likes of say Bill Tupou and say Alehana Mara who have either had infrequent chances or not taken advantage of their chances, if Tomkins goes down injured we've traded off 3 players who could take his place. Watson and Glenn have the dough, why not offer the equivalent of their worth to Wigan in finance and keep the depth?

Even then, if we look at it, it has to be a player technically who is contracted next year. Most of our best are already under contract. The ones I'm aware of who aren't who are of a good quality are Locke, Friend and Mateo. The rest of our best like Johnson, Matulino, Mannering, Hurrell, technically you'd suspect Wigan would want one of those. That's an awfully big risk IMO.

Diesel

Referee
It's a risk worth taking IMO as we need to be able to lure players to NZ. The 3 we swap would be 2 fringe and one FG'er. Hopefully Tuopu, Ro and ?

Latest posts