What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors vs Wests. First trial for 2024.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
"see Mai’u got marched, I assume he’ll have an early holiday
Scorline seems respectable for 12 vs 13"

Was a penalty at best.

Good run for the young guys, RTS was keen as.
I thought it was an awful tackle. Pretty reckless, clear contact to the head, when I saw it on replay I thought it was red all day.

The kid Fainu did a similar thing, need to be better than that in first grade

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
And yeah I agree, I thought we were up for the contest. Great to see some youngsters show a lot of heart and our defensive structure looked pretty good.

RTS looked dangerous, made a lot of metres, I'm looking forward to this roving role they've got slated for him.

Matua

Bench
Nah, was pretty brutal with no real mitigating factors
The same shot was only a sin bin in the All Stars game.

@sup42
Crowd were going nuts in the final seconds and you can bet every man woman and their dog went home very happy with that.
Bro, we lost. I was at home and I was very much not happy. If I was there I would have kicked the annoying dog and the annoying owner who brought the dog. ;)

And yeah I agree, I thought we were up for the contest. Great to see some youngsters show a lot of heart and our defensive structure looked pretty good.

RTS looked dangerous, made a lot of metres, I'm looking forward to this roving role they've got slated for him.
RTS looked good, my not into rugby mate said that playing in the midfield seems to have improved his front on defence ... if I'd have said the same thing he would have bit my head off.

idunno

Juniors
I thought it was an awful tackle. Pretty reckless, clear contact to the head, when I saw it on replay I thought it was red all day.

The kid Fainu did a similar thing, need to be better than that in first grade
I know 2 wrongs don't make a right but a tiger got one of our guys earlier which was a worse shot and he had intent..

Consistency..

"see Mai’u got marched, I assume he’ll have an early holiday
Scorline seems respectable for 12 vs 13"

Was a penalty at best.

Good run for the young guys, RTS was keen as.

Agreed
The attacker changed direction last minute when the warriors defender went low. Mai'u was set for contact. He cant unset in 1/3 of a second

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Haven’t seen any footy at all, but just saw a clip of that send off

pretty clear cut he leaves the field, he made no effort at all to bend his back and lower any impact point

sup42

Juniors
The same shot was only a sin bin in the All Stars game.

@sup42

Bro, we lost. I was at home and I was very much not happy. If I was there I would have kicked the annoying dog and the annoying owner who brought the dog. ;)

RTS looked good, my not into rugby mate said that playing in the midfield seems to have improved his front on defence ... if I'd have said the same thing he would have bit my head off.

Come on bro. We had 12.

It used to be rare to see a Warriors top side dig in with 12 men.

Now we have B teams at this club fighting to win till the last second with 12 Reggies and almost pulling it off.

Got to be happy about the changes.

Top four is a good chance again this year with that attitude and if we get lucky with injury.

Webster looks like he has picked up right where he left off last season with a team keen to play for each other.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s a trial, the score doesn’t matter, the intent shown on the field by the players who needed a hit-out does. By the sound of it they passed the test in that respect.

ozenzud

Juniors
It was a trial. Would still like to have won it against a wooden spoon contender. Take what you will from it. What I saw is RTS going OK against modest opposition and the team looking quite fit. Laban looks like somebody to get excited about.

Rich102

Staff member
For a trial I thought the structures of both sides looked good. The defences looked solid.
I didn't think the Wah's opening halves worked very well together. Farr had a good dig when he came on.
Geronimo Doyle took his chances.
Roger looked sharp.
I expect a step up for trial two.

Just on the send off, I thought it was unneccesary. I thought it was a head clash and not intentional. He wasn't going to do it again. Still, hopefully a lesson learned.

Great crowd and a lot of Tigers support.
Go the Wahs!

Meth

Staff member
Basically, when you make contact with the head like that, there's a decent chance you're going off. Just glad it was a trial (and not an AFB level player)

All in all, pretty happy. Always better to win, but it doesn't really matter so much. Round 1 is the true test- this is just prep.

RTS was good, which isn't great news for Pompey...although, let's be real, could just as easily be bad news for Berry.

I thought Afoa and Ale went good.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Maiu'u went in too high, and the fact he went in with force is aggravating.

However, there was also an obvious mitigating factor in that the first tackler created a late change in direction by the ball-carrier. That made all the difference between a shoulder/arms tackle into the chest/collarbone area, versus a shoulder/chest collision with the attacking player's chin.

I'm not arguing for a particular outcome or saying it wasn't foul play, just saying that a fair assessment of the tackle would recognise both the aggravating and mitigating factors.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

However, there was also an obvious mitigating factor in that the first tackler created a late change in direction by the ball-carrier. That made all the difference between a shoulder/arms tackle into the chest/collarbone area, versus a shoulder/chest collision with the attacking player's chin.

I'm not arguing for a particular outcome or saying it wasn't foul play, just saying that a fair assessment of the tackle would recognise both the aggravating and mitigating factors.
Yeah that was how I saw it, he aimed for a legit hit before the first tackler altered the tackled player’s position and failed to correct and caught him high. Clumsy, maybe careless. Not malicious or deliberate.

Rubbish

He was bracing for impact and the Wests player went lower than expected after getting tackled low by the Warriors 1st defender

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Rubbish

He was bracing for impact and the Wests player went lower than expected after getting tackled low by the Warriors 1st defender
That doesn't marry up with what I've just watched on the replay. The Wests player really doesn't go lower much at all. Yes, the first contact with the Warriors defender changes his direction, but height doesn't look like the issue to me. I think you can expect a ball carrier to be in this position as a general rule:

1708360594162.png

To me it's careless technique (not reckless) where Mai'u charges into contact and leads with his shoulder, and because the tackled player's direction is changed by the initial contact, makes full contact with shoulder on chin. Lights out.

It's a classic young man's mistake, very eager to impress in a trial. I think he deserves 3-4 weeks because it's too dangerous to get it that wrong when we're protecting the head. We can't have 110+kg blokes sticking their shoulders at pace into opposition's chins.