What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors vs Wests. First trial for 2024.

Rich102

Staff member
Saturday 17th Feb. Christchurch 2PM.

Well the season is just about on us.
First trial - who will play where?
Who will stand out?

This from Fox Sports:
The Warriors had a campaign to remember in 2023 and have one of the most settled teams in the competition barring spots on the bench. Jackson Ford is set to lose his backrow spot to Kurt Capewell, meaning he will join Dylan Walker on the pine. Tom Ale, Bunty Afoa and Jazz Tevaga are obvious remaining options. However a trio of rising stars could force their way into the equation in pre-season. Demitric Sifakula played three NRL games in 2023 and the 19-year-old is an impressive backrower, weighing in at 104kg. Sifakula is highly rated at the New Zealand club and has been signed until the end of 2025, first joining the Warriors as a 15-year-old. He caught the eye in last year’s pre-season challenge, starting in a 48-12 win over the Tigers. His season was cut short in 2023 due to an ACL injury, meaning he will be hungry to return to the NRL side this season. Jacob Laban is another backrower who could push for selection and played 17 games for the Warriors’ NSW Cup side. At only 19-years of age and standing at 189cm, weighing in at 110kg, he will almost certainly earn a first grade debut in the future if he continues to improve. Laban will also likely feature in the pre-season challenge, giving Andrew Webster a good chance to take a look at his talents. Selumiela Halasima is yet another forward who is highly rated at the Warriors and he played 18 NSW Cup games in 2023 at only 18-years of age. He forced his way into the starting team, starting off the bench before finishing the year with seven 80-minute stints in the backrow and one in the centres. Webster certainly isn’t short of talent in his forwards and fans of ‘Wahs’ will get a good glimpse of the next gen ahead of the 2024 season.

Anyone want to guess at a team?

Izz

Bench
EDIT: This is my round 1 team, not my trial team. Think I misread the question, sorry, Rich.

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. RTS
5. Montoya
6. Metcalf
7. SJ
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Capewell
12. Ford
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Niukore
16. Tevaga
17. TMM

Webby seems to really like Tevaga so I've given Jazz a bench spot. I'm still picking Niukore to play in the middle rather than on the edge. Ford is either an 80-min player or not in the team, as he doesn't have any impace off the bench, imo. I'm also thinking we'll see TMM on the bench due to his overall versatility and the fact that he could probably cover hooker pretty adequately.

This is the bench I'd prefer seeing, but I doubt we will:

14. Walker
15. Niukore
16. TMM (with CHT next cab off the rank)
17. Ale (with Bunty next cab off that rank, then Maiu'u)

One Warrior

Bench

Trial Team named:​

Trial Team List: RTS, CHT back​

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Chanel Harris-Tavita will wear One New Zealand Warriors colours again after long absences when they line up in Sunday’s Preseason Challenge clash against the Wests Tigers at Apollo Projects Stadium in Christchurch (4.00pm kick-off).
Former captain Tuivasa-Sheck (30) has been named to start in the centres and the 24-year-old Harris-Tavita at halfback in a squad which includes 13 players with first-grade experience.

Tuivasa-Sheck’s last NRL appearance – his 111th for the club – was against Penrith on July 18, 2021, at Suncorp Stadium before he was granted an early release to switch to rugby union.
Harris-Tavita stepped away from the NRL after his 54th career outing, the season-ending loss against Gold Coast at Go Media Stadium on September 3, 2022.
Tuivasa-Sheck’s rugby league comeback was heralded in April last year when he signed a three-year contract to become a Warrior again while Harris-Tavita’s return to the One New Zealand Warriors after a year away from the game was announced just a month later in May.
Tuivasa-Sheck is paired alongside left winger Marcelo Montoya – named captain for this game – while Harris-Tavita is teamed in the halves with Luke Metcalf.

Match: Warriors v Wests Tigers​

ROUND 1 - SUNDAY 18TH FEBRUARY
4:00pm
Warriors
home Team
Warriors
Wests Tigers
away Team
Wests Tigers

TEAM LISTS​

BACKS​

• Fullback for Warriors is number 1Taine Tuaupiki
    Fullback for Wests Tigers is number 1Jahream Bula
  • Winger for Warriors is number 2Setu Tu
    Winger for Wests Tigers is number 2Charlie Staines
  • Centre for Warriors is number 3Ali Leiataua
    Centre for Wests Tigers is number 3Solomona Faataape
  • Centre for Warriors is number 4Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
    Centre for Wests Tigers is number 4Declan Casey
  • Winger for Warriors is number 5Marcelo Montoya
    Winger for Wests Tigers is number 5Junior Tupou
  • Five-Eighth for Warriors is number 6Chanel Harris-Tavita
    Five-Eighth for Wests Tigers is number 6Jayden Sullivan
  • Halfback for Warriors is number 7Luke Metcalf
    Halfback for Wests Tigers is number 7Aidan Sezer

FORWARDS​

• Prop for Warriors is number 8Bunty Afoa
    Prop for Wests Tigers is number 8Stefano Utoikamanu
  • Hooker for Warriors is number 9Freddy Lussick
    Hooker for Wests Tigers is number 9Apisai Koroisau
  • Prop for Warriors is number 10Tom Ale
    Prop for Wests Tigers is number 10David Klemmer
  • 2nd Row for Warriors is number 11Jackson Ford
    2nd Row for Wests Tigers is number 11Isaiah Papali'i
  • 2nd Row for Warriors is number 12Jacob Laban
    2nd Row for Wests Tigers is number 12Asu Kepaoa
  • Lock for Warriors is number 13Kalani Going
    Lock for Wests Tigers is number 13Alex Seyfarth

INTERCHANGE​

• Interchange for Warriors is number 14Eddie Ieremia-Toeava
    Interchange for Wests Tigers is number 14Lachlan Galvin
  • Interchange for Warriors is number 15Zyon Maiu'u
    Interchange for Wests Tigers is number 15Josh Feledy
  • Interchange for Warriors is number 16Tanner Stowers-Smith
    Interchange for Wests Tigers is number 16Fonua Pole
  • Interchange for Warriors is number 17Leka Halasima
    Interchange for Wests Tigers is number 17Samuela Fainu

RESERVES​

• Reserve for Warriors is number 18Patrick Moimoi
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 18Kit Laulilii
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 20Etuate f**kof**ka
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 19Sione Fainu
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 21Toni Tupouniua
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 20Jake Simpkin
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 22Ben Farr
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 21Tallyn Da Silva
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 23Luke Hanson
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 22Heath Mason
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 24Moala Graham-Taufa
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 23Alex Lobb
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 25Geronimo Doyle
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 24Tony Sukkar
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 26Quinnlan Tupou
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 25Navren Willett
  • Reserve for Warriors is number 27Paul Roache
    Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 26Nick LUI TOSO

Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 27Reuben Porter

Reserve for Wests Tigers is number 28Sione Latoa-Vaihu

Match Officials​

• Referee: Chris Sutton
  • Senior Review Official: Gerard Sutton
Last updated: 05:58 pm Tuesday 13th February 2024
Also included in the backline are 2023 NRL rookies fullback Taine Tuaupiki and centre Ali Leiataua with New South Wales Cup regular Setu Tu on the right wing.
The 129-game NRL veteran Bunty Afoa leads the starting pack alongside hooker Freddy Lussick, prop Tom Ale and second rower Jackson Ford, all of whom featured strongly during the One New Zealand Warriors’ memorable 2023 season.
Completing the starting forwards are the exciting Jacob Laban (19) and 2023 NRL rookie Kalani Going. Both represented the New Zealand Kiwis A against Mate Ma’a Tonga A last October.
Among those on the extended bench are NRL top 30 squad member Zyon Maiu’u plus five players on development contracts in Leka Halasima, Tanner Stowers-Smith, Ben Farr, Etuate f**kof**ka and Patrick Moimoi. Also named is promising playmaker Luke Hanson, who has been brought to the club from Penrith’s Jersey Flegg Cup side.

Tries aplenty as One New Zealand Warriors launch season

The match will be especially poignant for Christchurch-born and raised Stowers-Smith as he faces the prospect of playing in front of family and friends.
The 19-year-old St Bede’s College product and Halswell Hornets junior had a remarkable 2023 season. He started by captaining the club’s SG Ball Cup (under-19) side, stepped up to become a regular with the New Zealand South Wales Cup team and finished the year by being brought into the New Zealand Kiwis A squad.
As a side note, 14 of the squad named for this weekend's trial were also used in the corresponding Preseason Challenge encounter with the Tigers at Go Media Stadium last February.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Is it gonna be streamed on any websites? I’m in Japan at the moment and it’ll be 10am here. Wouldn’t mind checking it out

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I see Mai’u got marched, I assume he’ll have an early holiday
Scorline seems respectable for 12 vs 13

sup42

Juniors
I see Mai’u got marched, I assume he’ll have an early holiday
Scorline seems respectable for 12 vs 13

Great hit out, one of the best trial games the Warriors have ever played in.

Crowd were going nuts in the final seconds and you can bet every man woman and their dog went home very happy with that.

As expected RTS is a beast back in his natural game, Montoya was really fired up next to him.

Metcalf had a good game, CHT went alright too.

Bunty played well, a lot of guys did.

You could not tell we were playing with twelve, as soon as Zyon was sent off the Warriors fired up and shut the Tigers out till Webster pulled all of his NRL Stars.

Even our NSW cup side that played the last quarter were out performing the Tigers.

We really have a lot to get excited about this year, all the young kids out there looked like they knew what they were doing.

idunno

Juniors
"see Mai’u got marched, I assume he’ll have an early holiday
Scorline seems respectable for 12 vs 13"

Was a penalty at best.

Good run for the young guys, RTS was keen as.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
"see Mai’u got marched, I assume he’ll have an early holiday
Scorline seems respectable for 12 vs 13"

Was a penalty at best.

Good run for the young guys, RTS was keen as.
Yeah I just watched the replay of it. Just loooks like he messed up his timing, nothing intentional or even really careless.