What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Have Enough Cap Space to Buy Quality

getsmarty

Immortal
So Hunt and Norman were top line Dally M quality performers under their previous coaches?

Not what I said...love how people misquote in order to advance an argument

Question...Out of the 16 pairs of halves in the comp, how many are selected for Daily M Awards....

Answer,...not all of them ( in fact very few )...so does that make guys like DCE/C.Walker/ etc all rubbish players....

A totally irrelevant argument...I get it...you don't rate Hunt and Norman...that's your opinion...they are far from the worst in the comp...Rep honours would state that they are towards the top eschelon of halves...

That's FACT...not my opinion..FACT.

at the time the club signed them they were the best available off contract halves....get a coach with a clue and it all changes.

possm

Coach
Must be that no one wants Dufty, Aitken and Lafai and the club is reluctant to offload Pearson, Pereira and Ravalawa.

In my opinion we would be better to also let either Norman or Hunt go in an effort to re-unite Holmes and Flanigan. To me there must be a better balanced side before we can start moving up the premiership ladder. I would be happy to move on many of our first grade side and as much as necessary of our reserve grade side, to play the following top 17 in 2020:
1. Holmes - on Hunt money
2. Saab -
3. Lomax
4. Ramien or BJ Leilua
5. Oats
6. Clune
7. Taylor
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Fifita - on Norman money
13. De Belin / Frizell - either one

14. K Sims
15. Lawrie
16. L Leilua
17. Ford

So if we let go Dufty, Ravalawa, Pearson, Pereira, Norman, Hunt, Maranta, Masters, Graham, Robson, Timm, Latimore, Allgood and if either De Belin or Frizell moves on we should have enough cap to field the above team. After signing the above players, I'd back fill reserve grade side with our juniors juniors and the players we could not move on..

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Must be that no one wants Dufty, Aitken and Lafai and the club is reluctant to offload Pearson, Pereira and Ravalawa.

In my opinion we would be better to also let either Norman or Hunt go in an effort to re-unite Holmes and Flanigan. To me there must be a better balanced side before we can start moving up the premiership ladder. I would be happy to move on many of our first grade side and as much as necessary of our reserve grade side, to play the following top 17 in 2020:
2. Saab -
3. Lomax
4. Ramien or BJ Leilua
5. Oats
6. Clune
7. Taylor
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims

14. K Sims
15. Lawrie
16. L Leilua
17. Ford

So if we let go Dufty, Ravalawa, Pearson, Pereira, Norman, Hunt, Maranta, Masters, Graham, Robson, Timm, Latimore, Allgood and if either De Belin or Frizell moves on we should have enough cap to field the above team. After signing the above players, I'd back fill with SGI reserve grade with our juniors juniors.

Is that Jason Taylor you have at 7 ?
sorry mate , just having a giggle.

Walpole

Juniors

2. Saab -
3. Lomax
4. Ramien or BJ Leilua
5. Oats
6. Clune
7. Taylor
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims

14. K Sims
15. Lawrie
16. L Leilua
17. Ford

So if we let go Dufty, Ravalawa, Pearson, Pereira, Norman, Hunt, Maranta, Masters, Graham, Robson, Timm, Latimore, Allgood and if either De Belin or Frizell moves on we should have enough cap to field the above team. After signing the above players, I'd back fill with SGI reserve grade with our juniors juniors.
How many team lineups do you reckon you post per season, possm?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Holmes wont be back in the NRL anytime soon, possibly until 2021 at the earliest. His dream is still alive in the NFL.
Hunt, i doubt would leave voluntarily and if he was shopped we would be up for a major salary cap hit for a few years. The Broncos are close to signing Croft and are looking at Aiden Sezer as their half back moving forward.
Oates is reportedly very close to re-signing with the Broncos as well.
Ash Taylor, no thanks. Has too many issues.
Grahan has a player option, if we ketvhim go and he takes that option we gave to pay him, which is another salary cap hit.
If we are promoting Saab and Ford from the DS then they would have to be added into the cap as well as would Clune.
There is also Blacker, Lovodua and even H. Lomax to consider and the new boy (name escapes me) from the Cherrypickers, where does he slot in considering he's already been playing 1st grade against men. Sullivan and Wishart to be added to the DS as well.
As far as I know Ravalawa may not be here next year, but thats unconfirmed atm.
Theres a lot more to consider and its more complicated than just letting players go and replacing them.

Carlton

Juniors
Holmes wont be back in the NRL anytime soon, possibly until 2021 at the earliest. His dream is still alive in the NFL.
Hunt, i doubt would leave voluntarily and if he was shopped we would be up for a major salary cap hit for a few years. The Broncos are close to signing Croft and are looking at Aiden Sezer as their half back moving forward.
Oates is reportedly very close to re-signing with the Broncos as well.
Ash Taylor, no thanks. Has too many issues.
Grahan has a player option, if we ketvhim go and he takes that option we gave to pay him, which is another salary cap hit.
If we are promoting Saab and Ford from the DS then they would have to be added into the cap as well as would Clune.
There is also Blacker, Lovodua and even H. Lomax to consider and the new boy (name escapes me) from the Cherrypickers, where does he slot in considering he's already been playing 1st grade against men. Sullivan and Wishart to be added to the DS as well.
As far as I know Ravalawa may not be here next year, but thats unconfirmed atm.
Theres a lot more to consider and its more complicated than just letting players go and replacing them.

We also have the Feagai twins, Cody Ramsay, Ty Wishart, Jayden Sullivan coming through. They are not ready yet but if they are the future we need to make sure that their pathway isn't blocked and that there is a smooth transition for them.

And before you jump down my throat, I know this is SGI and, if history is anything to go by, they will not get a look in.

Old Timer

Coach

Question...Out of the 16 pairs of halves in the comp, how many are selected for Daily M Awards....

Answer,...not all of them ( in fact very few )...so does that make guys like DCE/C.Walker/ etc all rubbish players....

A totally irrelevant argument...I get it...you don't rate Hunt and Norman...that's your opinion...they are far from the worst in the comp...Rep honours would state that they are towards the top eschelon of halves...

at the time the club signed them they were the best available off contract halves....get a coach with a clue and it all changes.
Sally M votes are in a 1,2,3 basis e

You are misinterpreting my post
Dally M quality is where 1,2 or 3 points are awarded by independent judges
Hunt 12 & Norman 6 points in the voting and they are supposed to be high quality players?
Even allowing for the dud coach the points are poor for the money these blokes are payed.
You keep harping about the coach and we all know he is a dud but Hunt & Norman both played for high quality coaches before they got to us.
Those high quality coaches saw their club’s future in those positions was not with Hunt or Norman.
The fact is high quality coaches exited them from their rosters you have to ask yourself why and then ask why we signed them with the coach we have and for the money they were paid.
Changing coaches will not instantly make Hunt or Norman great players as they just aren’t good enough but somehow our supporters want to make some arguments to defend players because of the coach.
At their pay rates I expect much more than they give us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
To be fair to our mob, they do have a good track record when it comes to throwing out the odd lifeline, eg Dugan, Packer. A fit Ash Taylor would be a tremendous asset.

TruSaint

Referee
To be fair to our mob, they do have a good track record when it comes to throwing out the odd lifeline, eg Dugan, Packer. A fit Ash Taylor would be a tremendous asset.

At least Dugan gave us 5 years, played for State and Country... Packer was thrown a lifeline by us and at first opp pissed off for the $$$. Yes he did his time, but I think he could have shown a little more loyalty. His crimes make Dugan look a choir boy.

Ash Taylor, with all his talent, has been shown up to be a multimillion dollar waste. It aint just fitness, according to his coaches, although fitness may be a result of of other issues. Big money risk for a kid turning 25 and seems too carefree for mine.

PS, I don't mind our Club giving players a 2nd chance under the right circumstances.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well Tru, I was referring to Ash Taylor's mental fitness. The reasons why the Gold Coast gave him time off have been fairly well documented.

TruSaint

Referee
Well Tru, I was referring to Ash Taylor's mental fitness. The reasons why the Gold Coast gave him time off have been fairly well documented.

Yeah, and I wish him all the best with his mental health. I believe that time off was this season just past. He should look after himself. I am referring to his career overall. Overrated and very self absorbed IMHO.

When you enjoy being called Cash Taylor and giggle about your earnings, as he did in an interview a few years back, tells me something is amiss.

If its related to his mental state then he / his manager / family should make that a priority. Right now, he is not ready for footy.

Last edited:

Latest posts