What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes in trouble... again

gunnamatta bay

Referee
2TB here's an idea. Get a hold of the NSW Police Association annual report and have a look at how much was spent last financial year on legal support for cops. It may be enlightening.

Oh and lets not forget the association retains the right to refuse legal support for those cops deemed to be well and truly bent. You know. The drug dealers etc exposed all to often by the PRC and PIC.

Dave Q

Coach
The first people cops turn to when they are in trouble are lawyers.

In spite of their enforcement function, at the end of the day, the cops are just another public service.

It can be a tough and dangerous job but they are well-paid for it. They do deserve our respect and co-operation in our dealings with them at all levels, especially on the streets.

Theres a few bad apples in every cart. The Police service is no different, theres bad lawyers too.

Due to heir unique powers, the cops are closely scrutinised, that is right and proper. It is not overly difficult to weed out the bad cops. The Commisioner himself is a person particularly interested in getting rid of bad cops (their own boss).

Both Lawyers and cops are needed by society to assist it function. Lawyers are good check on cops and we need cops to keep the peace and enforce laws.

The rule of law is fundamental to developed societies. Cops and Lawyers operate under it's unmbrella. Both are answerable to the Courts.

As is Wes.

At present, he is still innocent.

Always seek legal advice before talking to the cops in an interview situation.

Wicks

Juniors
Follow Me Up To Carlton said:
No, those where seperate incidents.

Gasnier did not break his leg getting out of a car The two incidents involving a car are the refractured collarbone and the broken wrist

I still dont see how you can say the man broke his leg getting out of a car (which didnt happen) means you can say that players and others think he is a dickhead

Mong

Post Whore
Dave Q said:
I present McCracken who made $30m following his career ending injury. .

Didn't he just successfully sue the players who tackled him? Couldn't have been a pay out for any future economic loss if the above is true. And why sue anyhow? Just to get back at them? Certainly doesn't appear he needed the money.

brendothejet

First Grade
Wes has been training with the dragons as per usual and saints will not be sacking him even if he goes to gaol.

Doust may be a dickhead, but he's not letting go a 400,000 dollar player who we pay peanuts for.

Dave Q

Coach
Mong said:
Didn't he just successfully sue the players who tackled him? Couldn't have been a pay out for any future economic loss if the above is true. And why sue anyhow? Just to get back at them? Certainly doesn't appear he needed the money.

Correct, he sued 2 players and was awarded 90K for injuries. He didnt suffer any economic loss, thats right. He actually made more money off-feild.

You are right with your assumption, he would have been told that any claim he had for economic loss was cactus before the case started.

I suppose he sued them because he wanted some recognition that the tackle was illegal. He was in some initial pain (maybe he still is). he had a point to make.

Yeah, I dont think it was a money thing at the end of the day.

People are motivated by more than just cashish, particularly if they can afford to enforce their rights. Its a human-nature thing.

The law recognised that he was wronged and the two players have to pay something.

McCracken still has principles I suppose.

Rugby League is not a free-for-all at these esteemed levels.

Dave Q

Coach
brendothejet said:
Wes has been training with the dragons as per usual and saints will not be sacking him even if he goes to gaol.

Doust may be a dickhead, but he's not letting go a 400,000 dollar player who we pay peanuts for.

I expect there might be a behaviour clause in his contract with Saints.

I suppose its arguable if he brought the club into any disrepute. I wouldnt think so myself, but I haven't done a poll and cant otherwsie offer any evidence that his behaviour has detracted from the good and wholesome reputation of the club.

But the NRL might have something to say about it. Its not a good look for the game. His multiple offences have now come to light too. People dont like it. They dont like to see famous people get away with things when they get pulled over for driving a couple of kms over the limit.

These guys are supposed to be role models. Thats still the predominant view.

In reality, as we all know here, some are and some are not. Footballers these days are more a reflection of society as a whole. Theres a great range of interests, professions and other skills they hold beyond their merit in the game.

But Justice, she is blind.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
Dave Q said:
Correct, he sued 2 players and was awarded 90K for injuries. He didnt suffer any economic loss, thats right. He actually made more money off-feild.

You are right with your assumption, he would have been told that any claim he had for economic loss was cactus before the case started.

I suppose he sued them because he wanted some recognition that the tackle was illegal. He was in some initial pain (maybe he still is). he had a point to make.

Yeah, I dont think it was a money thing at the end of the day.

People are motivated by more than just cashish, particularly if they can afford to enforce their rights. Its a human-nature thing.

The law recognised that he was wronged and the two players have to pay something.

McCracken still has principles I suppose.

Rugby League is not a free-for-all at these esteemed levels.

Dave, I think he decided to sue due to the fact they prematurely ended his career. Although money can never replace the love or passion you have for the game as a player, to have that taken away illegally does deserve compensation. My personal view is for serious offences, such as his was then the offenders should get the same amount of time on the sidelines. ...Break a guys jaw intentionally (aka Bugden v Rogers), get suspended for the 14 weeks it takes him to recouperate, tip a bloke on his head and end his career - find yourself another job.

McCraken did loose quite a bit of money from potential earnings as a league player as did the tigers who had a superstar player on the sidelines unavailable. The fact he has a decent business brain and made money outside of RL is irrelevant in my book and he should have been awarded compensation for every dollar he could have potetially made in RL and Kearney and his mate should have been lining up at centrelink shortly after!

Dave Q

Coach
Steelers4eva said:
Dave, I think he decided to sue due to the fact they prematurely ended his career. Although money can never replace the love or passion you have for the game as a player, to have that taken away illegally does deserve compensation. My personal view is for serious offences, such as his was then the offenders should get the same amount of time on the sidelines. ...Break a guys jaw intentionally (aka Bugden v Rogers), get suspended for the 14 weeks it takes him to recouperate, tip a bloke on his head and end his career - find yourself another job.

McCraken did loose quite a bit of money from potential earnings as a league player as did the tigers who had a superstar player on the sidelines unavailable. The fact he has a decent business brain and made money outside of RL is irrelevant in my book and he should have been awarded compensation for every dollar he could have potetially made in RL and Kearney and his mate should have been lining up at centrelink shortly after!

In that case, broadly speaking, I think you agree with me and I with you.

McCracken would have had plenty of time to call off his suit before it reached hearing stage but elected to keep going. Thats why I said he had prinicples.

I dont know how much he lost by the shortening of his career, but I doubt it would have exceeded $30m. He may have used a few extra hundred thou to make $35m.

But maybe he would have had less time to consider those astute investments he made and did profit from.

Anyway, its a hypothetical. Justice has determined he was wronged.

I wonder what she will say of Wes?

2 True Blues

Coach
Gunamatta bay must be a uni lawyer student LMFAO !!!! Your facts are wrong and far from accurate though mate. The amount of corrupt cops when compared with the population percentage is so low it is absolutely laughable. They are the best blokes and girls I have ever met in Aus ( which I consider to be the best countr in the world ) and all risk their lives without question for the stupid of society.

Which unfortunately are in a much higher percentage per capita general populace, by a dangerously higher degree than those admist the Police Force.

Good luck with your legal studies.May you makeyour riches from the miseries and lies of other people and sleep well at night while doing so

gunnamatta bay

Referee
LOL. I'm a chef and have often stated so on other forums. I just happen to know quite a few cops and ex cops, good ones, who tell me lots of stories. I know quite a few lawyers and crooks too. It goes with the territory I'm afraid.

Back on track though. Do you agree that your union, the nsw police association, pays out large sums of money each financial year paying lawyers to defend police accused of criminal activity?

2 True Blues

Coach
The Police association is an absolute joke in itself. The only way it can ever work is for the so called " association " to be made up of independant non serving Police members. As currently it is merely a feather for promotion from those that are not a coppers left nut, and hide ( without making the necessary waves ) within it for personal reasons alone, rather than those of the majority. kinda like politics actually. LOl..........

JOKE in itself and as soft as piss !!!!

Dave Q

Coach
If one is a cop and one hates all lawyers one shouldnt be in the job.

If one is a lawyer and one hate all cops one should not be permitted to practice.

Such extreme views detract from both of these fine and important occupations.

If one is chef, one should make scrumptious food we can enjoy eating at any time of day.

I hear the food is pretty ordinary in gaol.

Wes has the right to remain silent. If he's pleaidng not guilty I think the lawyer will have to call him to the stand and after his evidence in chief (where he tells his side of the story). Then I expect we shall get a vibrant and most interesting cross-examination from Seargeant Prosecutor.

Being a higher profile case, the cops will spare no effort.

A win for the cops (us) may discourage other people.

He remains entirley innocent at the moment.

If he pleads not guilty, I imagine 4 weeks for the brief, 2 weeks for reply, so a hearing in February sometime. Just in time for kick off.

The Preacher

First Grade
FMBD Dave, don't ever fall off that high horse you're on. The moral heights you've raised yourself to would make make it a bloody long way down to bring you back to earth. ;-)

gunnamatta bay

Referee
2 True Blues said:
The Police association is an absolute joke in itself. The only way it can ever work is for the so called " association " to be made up of independant non serving Police members. As currently it is merely a feather for promotion from those that are not a coppers left nut, and hide ( without making the necessary waves ) within it for personal reasons alone, rather than those of the majority. kinda like politics actually. LOl..........

JOKE in itself and as soft as piss !!!!

I take it you agree they pay out huge amounts each year for legal assistance. Ta.

And dont believe what ya here from ex lads, they couldnt hack it anyway !!! LOL......

Oh the old disgruntled ex cop theory.

2 True Blues

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
I take it you agree they pay out huge amounts each year for legal assistance. Ta.

Oh the old disgruntled ex cop theory.

Look, it's not that I wish to watse much more of my time with ya but just so youll know for the future. The P/Association is self funded by serving members who pay THE highest association memberships in the entire country. If legal service is required funds are taken from that pool. :crazy: :sarcasm: :crazy:

drake

First Grade
C'mon 2TB, gunna is a CHEF! Of course he knows more about your job than you; I mean, he cooks for a living.

Everyone knows that cooking gives you insight into the mysteries of the universe. The freemasons were going to be the freechefs, but wanted to throw everyone off the scent.

Of course he may just be a know it all with a hankering for anti-establishment propaganda.