What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes in trouble... again

Dave Q

Coach
Mr Preacher, theres no moral high horse here.

I am as evil, cruel and twisted as the next bloke.

I am just trying to value-add to your fine forum.

Gunna you call yourself a chef. Nutritious food is ordinary!

I care not that the paper bag that wraps around the burger when I bought it is more nutritious and better for me than the burger is inside. Call me an idiot (the sharks do) but food tastes better than paper last time I tried food.

Now I get a sense here that people are giving up on young Wesmond.

I suppose the thread will explode again when he gets time. He will appeal, so with a bit of luck it could be Round 8 before he finally gets sentanced.

If he is found guilty or pleads same and the beak sends him down, I'd be asking that any full time gaol sentance be served by way of home-detention.

Somebody pass me a menu.

(burp!)

gunnamatta bay

Referee
2 True Blues said:
Look, it's not that I wish to watse much more of my time with ya but just so youll know for the future. The P/Association is self funded by serving members who pay THE highest association memberships in the entire country. If legal service is required funds are taken from that pool. :crazy: :sarcasm: :crazy:

You love your emoticons I see. Good stuff.

Lets back track a bit. You were the one who scoffed at the idea of wez being legally represented. I simply pointed out to you that your fellow police are not averse to seeking legal assistance when required.

BTW sorry to have wasted your valuable time. You must be extremely busy.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
drake said:
C'mon 2TB, gunna is a CHEF! Of course he knows more about your job than you; I mean, he cooks for a living.

Everyone knows that cooking gives you insight into the mysteries of the universe. The freemasons were going to be the freechefs, but wanted to throw everyone off the scent.

Of course he may just be a know it all with a hankering for anti-establishment propaganda.

I might be getting a bit touchy in me old age but are you implying only police can comment on police matters with any authority? Are you saying plumbers can't comment on what politicians get up to?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Dave Q said:
Mr Preacher, theres no moral high horse here.

I am as evil, cruel and twisted as the next bloke.

I am just trying to value-add to your fine forum.

Gunna you call yourself a chef. Nutritious food is ordinary!

I care not that the paper bag that wraps around the burger when I bought it is more nutritious and better for me than the burger is inside. Call me an idiot (the sharks do) but food tastes better than paper last time I tried food.

Now I get a sense here that people are giving up on young Wesmond.

I suppose the thread will explode again when he gets time. He will appeal, so with a bit of luck it could be Round 8 before he finally gets sentanced.

If he is found guilty or pleads same and the beak sends him down, I'd be asking that any full time gaol sentance be served by way of home-detention.

Somebody pass me a menu.

(burp!)

Dave thinks Wez's goose is cooked without seeing the brief. I am inclined to agree however. The photographer must have been agog with excitement when he reported back to his masters his exclusive observation. I assume he has dutifully supplied a statement to the police and handed over said photographic exhibits so provided he gives a compelling testimony, if required, I assume Wez's counsel can only plea for leniency.

However lets not forget we have not seen the brief of evidence. How strong is it? Dave is an expert on the law. Is there anyway out of this Dave? I know you haven't seen the brief Dave but just try and speculate.

Oh and Dave nutritious food does not have to be bland. A simple test would be to buy yourself a carton of eggs and a good cook book. The gaol kitchens use lots of eggs.

Dave Q

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
Dave thinks Wez's goose is cooked without seeing the brief. I am inclined to agree however. The photographer must have been agog with excitement when he reported back to his masters his exclusive observation. I assume he has dutifully supplied a statement to the police and handed over said photographic exhibits so provided he gives a compelling testimony, if required, I assume Wez's counsel can only plea for leniency.

However lets not forget we have not seen the brief of evidence. How strong is it? Dave is an expert on the law. Is there anyway out of this Dave? I know you haven't seen the brief Dave but just try and speculate.

Oh and Dave nutritious food does not have to be bland. A simple test would be to buy yourself a carton of eggs and a good cook book. The gaol kitchens use lots of eggs.

I havent seen the brief but I cam imagine what is inside:

1. Details of charges
2. Alleged facts
3. Statement of Richard Head (photogrpaher)
4. Statement of Mr X or other witnesses
5. Copies of photographic exhibits

But Wes has the chance to plead guilty early on the basis on the facts.
In that case he scores up to 25% discount on sentancing.

There could also be some plea-bargaining, but the charge is pretty light anyways so I dont know what they might offer him. Littering? Cross Road Awkwardly? Season with Easts? I dunno.

Of course, the brief wont get produced in full form unless he pleads guilty. We cant have the investigating officers actually working on statements when there's a McDonalds open somewhere! I hear they pay now. They just cant get a perk these days. It was better in the old days, more respect shown to them.

Statement of Richard Head

1. I am X ys old.

2. I am currently and have been a photographer in the employ of News Ltd since X Date

3. On the xth day of Y I was assigned to take photographs at...

and so forth.....

If he was driving, by way of an excuse, he needs a pretty good one and hey, its not just about what he says, he needs some actual admissable evidence to support it.

So if his uncle was on his death bed at Carringbah District Hospital, he might be able to produce medical records etc, sworn statements from others who saw him there. Courts dont tend to beleive people these days. Ask the cops, theyve heard every lie ever uttered.

In that (unlikely) case, he might even score a bond.

Anyway its all speculation, like whats inside the modern burger patty.

Wes remains innocent.

In the old days of policing, many years ago, well, the matter might well be resolved by now. A quiet word (with the photographer!) may have sufficed.

Declared Idiot 142.

Father Ted

First Grade
Dave Q
Juniors wrote Anyway its all speculation, like whats inside the modern burger patty.

I don't know Dave Macca's have sent a couple young generation Y's on a X files quest to find the truth about the humble patty . Perhaps we will one day find out the truth about news ltd and private ownership of football teams etc .

Dave Q

Coach
What truth are you searching for father? Do confess.

And those errant youngsters, well they better have a current drivers licence on them!

I hope they find that their drink containers are from free-range sauces.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Dave Q said:
I
Of course, the brief wont get produced in full form unless he pleads guilty. We cant have the investigating officers actually working on statements when there's a McDonalds open somewhere! I hear they pay now. They just cant get a perk these days. It was better in the old days, more respect shown to them.

Ummm I think you better seek legal advice Dave. The prosecution has to produce a full brief of evidence for the perusal of the defence team by a date stipulated by the court. Usually well before any hearing dates. You don't get to hold back any horrible nasty bits these days until it suits you. Failure to do so may result in said evidence being ruled inadmissible.

BTW good to see Maccas discouraging our police from becoming fat blobs.

Dave Q

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
Ummm I think you better seek legal advice Dave. The prosecution has to produce a full brief of evidence for the perusal of the defence team by a date stipulated by the court. Usually well before any hearing dates. You don't get to hold back any horrible nasty bits these days until it suits you. Failure to do so may result in said evidence being ruled inadmissible.

BTW good to see Maccas discouraging our police from becoming fat blobs.

(cough)

The Police dont supply a full brief to the defence, until after he pleads not guilty. My apologies to the forum if people acted in reliance on the previous representation I made to their detriment.

Yes, the defence team get to see the brief in full or they can object to any evidence tendered by the prosecution that was not included within it.

So as you say, they cant hold back any nastys as you say, (I agree).

Jeez, I'm glad we cleared that up!

Can you reccommend a good eatery for Wes's last meal?

Section 89B(a)(iii) It is an offence to grate a carrot without a licence.

Wesmond remains innocent.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
MEDIA RELEASE​
December 12, 2006​
St George Illawarra Dragons
The St George Illawarra Dragons were today advised that Wes Naiqama pleaded guilty in Waverley Court for driving while disqualified last month and that he is due to appear in court again in February next year.

The Dragons recognise the seriousness of this offence however; we still believe the full judicial process should be completed and all findings handed down before the Club makes any official comment.​

Dave Q

Coach
Yes, now its drive whilst disqualified and we can say that he is guilty allright. I think I gave the maximums previously. He's in trouble.

He gone dun it.

The club is however right to keep a respectful distance.

If he goes down, they can write directly to him about their termination of his contract. Far more comfortable than a face-to-face.

A regrettable business and Wes really should have known better, especially if he has form.

I'll say six months, depending on his exact form, just a taster mind you but pretty awful nonetheless.

Home detention if hes very very lucky.

yes, porridge.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Is the presiding beak a hanging variety or bleeding (Parrots fav) heart? The variables in sentencing are amazing sometimes. Does Wez have a family to support? I know he comes from a pretty extended Fijian clan many who will now be in dire financial strife thanks to El Presidente Banarama. Wez losing his only source of income (he used to tend the gardens round the Taj Mahal so I doubt he has any other skills) may be disastrous for them. I say play the heartstrings card.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
gunnamatta bay said:
Is the presiding beak a hanging variety or bleeding (Parrots fav) heart? The variables in sentencing are amazing sometimes. Does Wez have a family to support? I know he comes from a pretty extended Fijian clan many who will now be in dire financial strife thanks to El Presidente Banarama. Wez losing his only source of income (he used to tend the gardens round the Taj Mahal so I doubt he has any other skills) may be disastrous for them. I say play the heartstrings card.
I think he worked the bar at the Taj? He has come right through the St George ranks in the old fashioned way. A junior nutured at the local level and given a job to keep him there.

The Club certainly has invested a lot of time into Wes, so they'll do what they can while keeping a discreet distance.

I recall reading that he was the main breadwinner in the family. That being the case, the sentence may not not be too bad. Hopefully he'll get away with community work, and will be stocking up on brown cords between now and February. Silly lad.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
You have to ask what good it does the community to take the 'sole breadwinner' away. What does the family do? Someone ends up paying. And I am sure, like most Islander families, he would be expected to send money to the rels back in Fiji. The tourist industry has been hit for six with the coup and many are now feeling the pinch.

Dave Q

Coach
A brave submission my learned french stick toasting friend and fellow idiot.

He can tender affidavits from his family, tender his bank account showing transfers to Bank of Suva, all of that.

But the beak may say "Well you should have thought of them before you got into the car and drove."

Just because you have dependants doesnt mean you can break the law.

I'd be a Ned Kelly every day if that was the case!

His charity work should be evidenced, references from his employer and if he has a story, he might even take the stand to explain it. The court would have to give leave. He'd want a compelling reason and with paulini next to him in the photo, well, the going might get tough.

Nah, he's going down I'd say, but then he can appeal. He will need to get bail in the interim. He should get that.

Does anybody know if the beak ordered a pre-sentance report?

On occasion, they'll just slot guys without them.

Ive seen a bloke bring his kids and get slotted with the kids left in the caring hands of the prosecutor who was told by the beak to ring Doc's during the morning break. So much for playing the dependants card.

To help Wes, the club should sack him now so he can tender it as evidence of his loss of job over the incident.

If they care, they will sack him. Strange irony.

Wes is guilty.

I dont think being a player should interfere with the sentance. Justice must be blind.

Life is very hard in prison. As I said, maybe home detention. If he breaches that then hes off to goal. He cant drink alcohol during home detention.

I think he's beyond the benefit of community service.

He will need a hell of a good reason.

A pyschiatric report is a must.

The beaks have heard every excuse under the sun and a few from distant galaxies to boot. No benefit pushing their patience too hard.

As I said, its regrettable, but the law is there to protect us.

The Police have done their job properly in this instance, but their earlier media comments were unhelpful.

Its a bit of a stretch to say that the military coup should be a factor in his sentancing. Just a touch. But full marks for creativity. Wes's lawyers better PM you.

The Preacher

First Grade
If the self rightous Telegraph with the multi offending she-man hadn't told the police they'd be none the wiser.

"Done their job properly" :lol: What was it that Meatloaf said, one outta three ain't bad, bet the police envy that record. :lol: :lol:

Dave Q

Coach
I must say that I'm not entirely comfortable with the manner in which the offence was detected, reported, evidenced and then publicised.

Wes's lawyer will say that the detection of the crime was more commercially related than anything remotely concerned with law enforcement. He can tender copies of the papers etc and argue that his detection and subsequent apprehension was a stage-managed event targeted to sell papers instead of arising out of any concern for public safety.

Even the cops appeared to be barking off to the press early on. Ridiculous.

The Crimes Sentancing Proceedure Act will tell us what the court will take into account-cant remember the section 22 or 23. Gunnamatta bay would know.

But I reckon, he's still going down -at least initially, on appeal maybe not.

The defence will need to make a big splash about damage to his repuation, suspension from job etc. There might be some cases they can use to assist.

But at the end of the day, he just shouldnt have been driving.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Has anyone heard the latest rumour about Wez? Something about a Kings Cross nightclub and someone getting punched? It was mentioned a short time ago on a popular Sydney radio station 2gb home of the parrot.