What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wes in trouble... again

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[SIZE=+1]Dragons issue statement on Naiqama[/SIZE]
18/12/2006
Naiqama_Wes_2005-040905.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons were today made aware that Wes Naiqama was involved in an alleged incident in the city overnight.

The Club is investigating the details, which are separate to the judicial process that is under way regarding his driving while disqualified offence.

“The Club is very concerned to learn that Wes has allegedly been involved in a public incident overnight,” said Dragons Chief Officer Peter Doust.

“We take such matters very seriously and it is important we investigate the matter thoroughly before determining our position”.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WWW.JUBILEEAVENUE.COM.AU[/FONT]

Dave Q

Coach
The Decline and Fall of Wes as we post is a little disconcerting.

An "incident" is not very descriptive and we shouldnt jump to conclusions.

But once again, the club is falling into the same trap of announcing an investigation.

Wes is turning into a one-man Royal Commission.

He's under stress, I can understand him wanting to party.

Lets hope its nothing too serious.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There is an other thread about it now. The update is that the club investigated it, and said that the ruckus was not Wes's fault.

Meanwhile, he is still under review for the other driving matter, pending the outcome of sentencing in February.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[SIZE=+1]Naiqama sentenced to periodic detention[/SIZE]

February 28th 2007 04:38 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons winger Wes Naiqama was sentenced today to 12 months periodic detention, with a six-month non-parole period, for driving while disqualified.

Its understood Naiqama will serve his periodic detention on weekdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, leaving him free to play on the weekends.

In November 2006, the 24-year-old was photgraphed in Surry Hills (Sydney) in the driver's seat of a motor vehicle. Naiqama had just left a cafe with his girlfriend, Australian Idol star Paulini Curuenavuli.

A Daily Telegraph photographer was interviewed by police and Naiqama was later charged.

In December 2006, Naiqama pleaded guilty in Waverley Court.

Naiqama was already suspended from driving until 2013. The most recent incident was the fourth time he had been charged with driving while disqualified.

Magistrate Chris Longley today suspended Naiqama's driving licence for a further two years until 2015 and handed down 12 months' periodic detention, with a six-month non-parole period.

In addition, Naiqama could still face the sack from St George Illawarra with club officials previously indicating that they would consider any further action following today's court appearance.

Born 19 Oct 1982 in Sydney to Fijian parents, Naiqama has starred for the Dragons and Fiji.

In 2002, the Arncliffe Scots (St George) junior secured an all grades club record by scoring 38 points against North Sydney while playing Jersey Flegg (third grade). Naiqama crossed for five tries and kicked nine goals from as many attempts to surpass the joint record of 36 points held by Les Griffin and post-war legend Jack Lindwall.

Also in 2002, Naiqama played for the Dragons in the Jersey Flegg Grand Final.

In 2003, Naiqama was selected for Fiji in the Sydney Rugby League World Sevens tournament.

In a career hampered by injury, the young Naiqama was temporarily employed by St George Leagues Club as a bartender.

In 2004, Naiqama was the Dragons best player in the Premier League (second grade) Grand Final.

In 2005, Naiqama finally debuted in the top grade. In the same year, he scored nine tries and 25 goals for a personal tally of 86 points, the club's second highest scorer for the season.

Naiqama was recently named developing nations player of the year after helping guide the Pacific Island nation to the 2008 World Cup.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WWW.JUBILEEAVENUE.COM.AU[/FONT]

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's an appeal happening.

St George Illawarra Dragons Comment – Wes Naiqama

The St George Illawarra Dragons were today advised that Wes Naiqama appeared in Waverley Local Court on a driving while disqualified charge and was sentenced to periodic detention.

The Club was also advised that an appeal to the Sydney District Court against the severity of the sentence has been filed and is due to be heard on May 22, 2007.

At this stage, Wes will continue to train and play with the Dragons.

Given that this is still a judicial matter before the Courts it is not appropriate for the Club to make any further comment.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=12927

Collateral

Coach
Missing 2 days of training a week will majorly hamper his ability to keep a spot in the Premiership. Hopefully the appeal goes well for him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You seemed obsessed.

You're not too bright, so I don't expect you to follow the logic....

If Saints sack Wes, I have no doubt supporters from other clubs will be falling over each other to have him signed to their club. For example, Sharks supporters have already expressed as much. The only way to avoid this is if the NRL deregister Naiqama altogether, that is stop the vultures from the shire swooping in.

If the NRL don't intervene, then its the club's call, not the call of trolls like you.

Now rack off.

BWNB

First Grade
Willow said:
You seemed obsessed.

You're not too bright, so I don't expect you to follow the logic....

If Saints sack Wes, I have no doubt supporters from other clubs will be falling over each other to have him signed to their club. For example, Sharks supporters have already expressed as much. The only way to avoid this is if the NRL deregister him, that is stop the vultures from the shire swooping in.

If the NRL don't intervene, then its the club's call, not the call of trolls like you.

Now rack off.

Ok then in that case, in your opinion do you recon the NRL should deregister him?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Can't say I've given it much thought. I'm not particularly outraged or surprised by the verdict if that's what you mean. We'll see what happens.

Seems to worry you though.

Would you like to see Wes playing at the Sharks?

BWNB

First Grade
Willow said:
Can't say I've given it much thought. I'm not particularly outraged or surprised if that's what you mean. We'll see what happens.

Seems to worry you though.

Would you like to see Wes playing at the Sharks?

No, not me personally, but i know other members would. I wounder if the board would want him.

Well, yes it does worry me. I don't think its right to have someone like him running around every weekend.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
As long he sticks to running and doesn't drive onto the footy pitch, I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Pumba

First Grade
Collateral said:
Missing 2 days of training a week will majorly hamper his ability to keep a spot in the Premiership. Hopefully the appeal goes well for him.

WHAT!!!! The bloke will never learn maybe this will teach him a hard lesson you can't break the law over and over.

sharknows

Bench
Following the stance the Sharks took over the Latu incident I don't think they would be interested in taking on more trouble. Latu made one mistake whilst Naqaima seems to be a serial offender. Maybe the NRL should be more assertive on what constitutes bringing the game into disrepute and make the decision rather than leaving it to the club. He has been sentenced so a decision should be made now. To say it is still a judicial matter before the courts is simply a cop out. Should his appeal be upheld I would have no issue with him being re-instated in the NRL.

dimitri

First Grade
sharknows said:
Following the stance the Sharks took over the Latu incident I don't think they would be interested in taking on more trouble. Latu made one mistake whilst Naqaima seems to be a serial offender. Maybe the NRL should be more assertive on what constitutes bringing the game into disrepute and make the decision rather than leaving it to the club. He has been sentenced so a decision should be made now. To say it is still a judicial matter before the courts is simply a cop out. Should his appeal be upheld I would have no issue with him being re-instated in the NRL.

what about the 2 sharks thatbashed each other? what happened to them

Dave Q

Coach
Wesmond's been sentenced now.

He got a good draw from the available magistrates, Longley, and in my view, based on my understanding, he got off very lightly indeed with periodic detention.

Which made me wonder, why did he appeal?

Was it a knee jerk reaction or a face saving exercise?

There could be some truly meritorious aspect. I dont know.

But listen up Wes, sentences can be increased on appeal.

On appeal, Wes will be sentanced before a single judge of the District Court.

S/he can gaol people for several years. In that case, Wes may find himself liable to the maximum that the penalty provides for.

But if the judge is thinking of increasing the penalty (ie upgrading it to full time), s/he must give Wes a warning first, in which case, Wes can then drop the appeal.

In practice, this would occurr virtually before the appeal starts.

The judge reads the facts and then gives his warning (if he choses to)

The warning doesnt mean that the judge will definately upgrade the penalty, but only that s/he might do it.

As a defendant, if you kick on, you are rolling the dice.

You would want some extraodinary reason.

Getting away from the legals for a minute.

As far as the club is concerned, there are some reputational issues at stake, but I imagine that some people would feel that his continued service (even at a reduced level) is in the club's best interests.

He is a player of considerable playing merit and on-field calibre and I would consider that the board is duty bound to take such measures they feel appropriate to secure a spot in the finals. They need to consider the fans, members and sponsers.

The fact any number of clubs would be quite smitten with his obvious talents and ready to sign him at the drop of a hat is of lessor consideration.

As for the NRL, they could make a grand stand over him but he is not the only player to fall foul of the law.

I could appreciate however that some fans might hold the beleif that he wholly failed to conduct himself in a manner befitting the lofty status of a Saint George Illawarra player.

As I understand it, Saints have always held themselves out as a club that is very serious about people's integrity, morals, ethics and upholding high personal standards across all levels. Its been a historical theme. A lot of upstanding real life hero's have slung on that jersey. It means a lot more than a uniform.

Some people may see his continued engagement as offensive to these notions and their feelings on the issue should be given appropriate weight in any discussion of his future.

Dave Q

Coach
sharknows said:
. Should his appeal be upheld I would have no issue with him being re-instated in the NRL.

He's appealing the severity of the sentence, not the actual finding of guilt.

He admitted to the wrong-doing.

Its a question of whether the number of days or the very fact that he got periodic detention is too harsh in the circumstances.

He might say he deserves a bond or a fine or something. A few hundred hours of community service etc.

Subject to what I said earlier, he has to convince a court that his sentence is too harsh.

If he doesnt get a warning and goes ahead, its only then that we will see the grounds for this.

I have an initial view on the first instance sentencing, but I am always open to be convinced otherwise.

The court may not be so merciful.

sharknows

Bench
Some good points Dave. I for one do not profess to have the wisdom to make a decision which would have such an impact on both the man and his team. I do understand that any decision about his eligibility to play will seriously impact on his future and well being. Should he be disqualified it could lead to a degeneration in his off field behaviour or it might be the wake up call for him to get himself together. Regardless we need to have some guidelines that are consistent. All players should be bound by the same rules of conduct.

Dave Q

Coach
sharknows said:
Some good points Dave. I for one do not profess to have the wisdom to make a decision which would have such an impact on both the man and his team. I do understand that any decision about his eligibility to play will seriously impact on his future and well being. Should he be disqualified it could lead to a degeneration in his off field behaviour or it might be the wake up call for him to get himself together. Regardless we need to have some guidelines that are consistent. All players should be bound by the same rules of conduct.

Thanks, I tried to present a balanced view.

The conduct issue is a tough one.

Sentancing in courts provides some room for movement in most cases (conduct) but there are a select group of offences that are strict liability. Under age sex is one such category. As I understand it, there is no defence. The law says you did it and now you have to explain why "looked 16" may be a favourite I suppose-but it wont get you off the charge. Its easy to do time for it. Very harsh time too.

So can we apply the strict liability to players?

As a practical measure I suppose the NRL could draw up a table, insist on affixing it to all contracts as a term of their employment.

I got the chance once to see an NRL player contract but I was too busy (damn!).

Then the next step would be affixing penalties for proven breaches.

That could be done too.

But sometimes players would have defences. For example, would a player be justified in driving whilst disqualified if he was taking his critically ill mate to a hospital. Lets say he could evidence the illness with hospital notes, other witnesses etc. Hes breached the code but he had a very good reason. It might even be a good reason in law but not the NRL!!

It can get very legalistic and complicated especially to cover all prospective 'NRL offences'

But I take your point, justice must be seen to be done as well as be done.

Interesting challenge.

borat

Bench
IMO I would be happy if the NRL de-registered him until his sentence is served. To me this is far better than the saints having to sack him becuase he will only be snapped up by the sharks or Raiders saying he deserves a second chance.