What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd love to see Perth and Adelaide sides added, but wasn't there a review saying the depth just doesn't exist?

No that was genius brad fittler 's opinion!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eague-identities/story-fni3fbgz-1226862253588

You could pluck 60 players from outside the current NRL pool and have a competitive teams, only salary cap is preventing it. The add in new program's for development of players in png, PI and WA. May be a reason the NRL is considering a draft?

A starting side made up,of players who won't be in the NRL next year (plus our developed player).

1. K. Hunt
2. I. Folau
3. K. Rona
4. R. Hall
5. K. Sio
6. L. Hohaia
7. L. Walsh
8. M. Weyman
9. T. Burns
10. A. Sims
11. $BW
12. B. Teo
13. S. Burgess

14. M. Minichello
15. M. Masoe
16. S. Soliola
17. M. Dobson

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rugby league 'must do homework'
Dual international and for-mer Western Reds winger Barrie-Jon Mather believes WA Rugby League should learn from other codes if they are granted a National Rugby League expansion licence.
Mather, the first player to represent England in both rugby codes is now NSW Rugby League football manager. He said a Perth NRL team was viable but the WARL needed to tread carefully.
Expansion talks will be held at the end of the NRL season although any changes are unlikely before 2018 when a new television deal is struck.
“Perth is a great sporting city. You’ve got the Dockers and Eagles and now the Force. The only thing that’s missing is a rugby league team,” Mather said.
“A rugby league team in Perth is certainly viable, it’s definitely do-able, but they must learn from the Force and Dockers. They must learn from the other codes.
“WA is doing a good job of keeping itself on the radar but if a decision is made it has to be done with plenty of notice. It takes money and time.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/25065560/rugby-league-must-do-homework/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting little snippet from ex WARL chairman (he quit after the NRL refused to give the WARL governance and management responsibility for the game in WA). I was aware the Pirates branding was fast tracked after they got wind of Elias/Sage launching a bid but interesting to see how much cash they got together quickly to launch the bid brand.

Most memorable board or executive moment?
Certainly being the former chairman of WA Rugby League and helping to set up the West Coast Pirates franchise — which is an NRL franchise — that was very exciting. We only had one month to put it together and there was talk of another bid being put forward so we fast-tracked the launch of the Pirates and raised $200,000 in four weeks. We got $450,000 in support from just about every media outlet.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/business/a/25004252/david-hobbs/

FlameThrower

Bench
Well done WA, really hope you guys get a team in NRL, the game needs expansion, there's plenty talent around, as many players are in Super League, who would rather be playing in NRL - but were pushed out when they could have played another 3 years more in NRL?
Expansion and a revamped broadcast model with NRL needing more input into what and how is broadcast and scheduling of games. Ch9 has done the NRL no favours with zero promotion of the game into other states or if they do show the game is on at midnight!

BuffaloRules

Coach
144K for Perth watching the NRL GF...

Think that is considerably up on Origin and previous GF numbers which have been around 90-100K.

I don't think they can get much better without their own team to grow interest...

On the back of the three highest ratings shows in the country this year (first time) you would think that the next NRL contract will be pushing $300 mil per year.

The NRL really needs to announce a Perth team as the 17th Franchise over this off season, to commence in the 2017 season.

17 teams in 2017
18 teams in 2018

Show some balls NRL...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, the finals and soo origin crowds have grown from 50k to this in just a few years. Now need a team and ch9 to advertise the game is on!

In other good news WA jnr waqa Blake has been named in the jnr kangaroos today!

Perth Tiger

Bench
I didn't know Waqa Blake was a WA Jnr. He looks like he is going to be something special.

What is his background? Born and Bred WA or an eastern stater/kiwi who move over and played in the juniors?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know he played sg ball for jnr Reds, got a feeling he is from northern suburbs and played for joondalup. Jnrs but notn100% sure.

pHyR3

Juniors

Think that is considerably up on Origin and previous GF numbers which have been around 90-100K.

I don't think they can get much better without their own team to grow interest...

On the back of the three highest ratings shows in the country this year (first time) you would think that the next NRL contract will be pushing $300 mil per year.

The NRL really needs to announce a Perth team as the 17th Franchise over this off season, to commence in the 2017 season.

17 teams in 2017
18 teams in 2018

Show some balls NRL...

thought its the 2nd time, SOO 3, 2 and 1 being the top 3 shows last year. but may AFL GF took 3rd place, cant remember.

there will be 16 teams in 2017 as per the TV deal and 18 in 2018. Putting 1 in at a time messes up scheduling BIG time. Do you have a rolling bye system? then what happens during origin???

All big scheduling changes must happen in 2018. Until then, gather data play around a little bit in order to make the best decision. Which, imo, is reduce rounds to 20. Have 9 normal home games a team. 1 Regional round, 1 rivalry round.

Remove rep weekend. Put in 3 standalone weeks for SOO and other international stuff, U20s rep and City Country.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Greg Bird knows where the NRL needs to expand to:

Should 16 teams expand to an 18-team competition?
“I definitely think there is a market over in WA,” Bird said. “I have spoken to a lot of people who love rugby league over there.
“They have the Pirates team going over there. I think there is a position in the game for them. Maybe a couple of years down the track.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-xiii-on-sunday/story-fni3fbgz-1227087474599

BuffaloRules

Coach

Gave them a wrap for the GF ratings, but only 21K watching in Perth for the Aus v NZ game...

Thats poor...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Absolutely zero promotion or media covg of the tournament by ch9 or the west media. If you don't tell people something is on how do you expect them to know tune in to a digital channel on a Saturday afternoon?

The NRL once again missed a massive opportunity. The AUs v nz game would have got 40k plus at suncorp and they could have played the eng v samoa game at nib. Would have likely sold out, england could have been based in Perth for the week leading up and would Have provided massive exposure and media interest for RL here. Our game sucks so badly at expansîon it isnt funny.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Just checked those Perth ratings for the England v Samoa game on FTA TV...

Can't believe they didn't actually play the game there based on that sort of interest.

Would have sold out for sure, and maybe Adelaide would have sold out Adelaide Oval on the back of the 5,000 that tuned in as well...

Perth is just crying out for international RL.