What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

The Great Dane

First Grade
The WA jnr development system is really starting to produce talent. Great to see Curtis Rona score a double last night, Waqa Blake tipped as the next big thing and jnrs coming through all sorts of systems like this

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...s-nines-tournament-title-20150225-13ocmz.html

Another WA jnr made his debut in the titans u20's this week. Good signs for a future perth nrl team.

I was just going to post that a couple of WA boys were playing at Erindale, but you beat me too it.

Erindales Rugby League programs is one of the better ones in the ACT, players like Michael Weyman, Brett Finch, Brent Kite and Jack Wighton (among plenty of others) all came through Erindale.

If they're playing at Erindale it almost certainly means that the Raiders have a hand in their development (and if they don't already they will soon enough), which probably means that the Raiders have started to scout juniors in WA (SA and NT) for talent, which means that they see those juniors nurseries as good enough to potentially invest in.

They've probably picked them up to see if it is worth investing in RL in WA, SA and the NT to replace the juniors system we lost in Logan, so if these blokes do well expect to see partnerships between clubs in WA, SA and the NT and the Raiders and CRRL (official or not) start to pop-up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wake up NRL!

PERTH is the fastest-growing capital city in Australia and the fourth to hit two million people, data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows.

Perth’s population grew by 2.5 per cent in the 12 months to June 2014 – an extra 48,400 people – with 2.02 million people now calling Greater Perth home.

Phil Browning, from the ABS, said this was a significant milestone, given just 30 years ago Perth’s population lagged behind Adelaide.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...ialSF&utm_source=PerthNow&utm_medium=Facebook

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the jnr battle of the expansion bids the WC Pirates have done the SG Ball double over the Bears, beating CC then beating the NS Bears. Go the Pirates!

Wild Wild West

Juniors
Don't get to keep to date much with NRL news here in the west, so has there been any developments recently as to when a decision will be made expansion or not? Cheers in advance.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rugby-league-by-accident-20150410-1mi46x.html

When Panthers rookie sensation Waqa Blake arrived in Australia from Fiji as a nine-year-old, his mother registered him to the local rugby union team - at least that's what they thought.

The 20-year-old made his debut in last Monday night's loss to the Cowboys, but it's a career that might have taken a different path had his mother realised the Brighton Seagulls were actually a rugby league club.

"Mum asked me if I wanted to play rugby. I thought it was rugby like we watched in Fiji," Blake said.

Advertisement

"When we got there I looked at it and thought what are they doing getting tackled and playing the ball. When they signed me up to league, I didn't even know the rules."

From Fiji to Sydney to Perth and back to Sydney - the journey Blake has endured on the road to the NRL, via rugby union and AFL, has thrown up its challenges.

For the first nine years of his life, Blake saw his mother Louise Lesley a couple of times a year and never had a close relationship with his father.

Blake was brought up by his grandparents Filimina and George Lesley, while his mother sent money back to the family after moving to Sydney to work at St George Bank in Kogarah.

"Mum was working here by herself to look after me and my brother still in Fiji," the Panthers centre said.

"When she could afford to get us a permanent residency, we moved over and so did my grandparents. My grandparents raised me up until I was nine until we moved over. She used to come over for a holiday but she was in Sydney most of the time to pay the bills and help the family. That was really hard. Seeing your mum once or twice a year wasn't easy, but she was working full-time. She was always the something to look forward to. When you haven't seen her in ages, you get excited when you find out she's coming home.

"In Fiji, we didn't have a lot of stuff there. We always used to look forward to mum coming home because she'd always bring us stuff home. Things didn't work out with my dad. I grew up with him but I was closer to my grandparents. I kind of looked to my grand parents more as my mum and dad. My grandmother passed away last year. My grandad is still in Western Australia with mum and my stepdad."

In Sydney Blake's rugby league career was starting to blossom.

He earned a scholarship at Endeavour Sports High, but he lasted just a single term before his mother and stepdad took his family to Perth.

"Mum just said 'We have to pack up and go, dad's got a job in the mines and we need the money'," Blake said.

"I was pretty shattered leaving all my family and friends here. I didn't know anyone in Perth. I got used to it, went over and played rugby union over there. League is not that big. It's AFL then rugby union.

"I played union and a bit of AFL. Then in 2012, when union wasn't working out, I thought I might as well give it a shot. The SG Ball had a team West Coast Pirates. I did a pre-season there and then got my manager Sam Ayoub from there. From that, in our last game, Jim Jones the recruit manager at Penrith saw me and asked me to come over."

Blake joined the Panthers at the end of 2012 as an 18-year-old, training in the pre-season with the club's under-20 squad.

He is considered one of the most promising juniors in the game, a game that saved him from a troubled childhood.

"If I didn't have this, I don't know what I'd be doing," Blake said.

"I wasn't very bright in school. I used to always get in trouble. So as soon as this worked out for me I put my head down. I struggled for a bit. The first year was really tough, not being able to see my grandparents. They are the ones that kept me in line."

Let's hope the Pirates can alter that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
SOUTH Sydney CEO John Lee says he’s confident rugby league can successfully co-exist with AFL in Perth ahead of the Rabbitohs’ now-customary game in WA this winter.
A crowd of 20,267 packed the stadium for last season’s fixture, with ticket sales for this year’s event tracking at an all-time best rate.
NRL WA CEO John Sackson said he would look for more direction from the NRL later in the year as to the prospects of the state getting its own franchise.

Sackson praised the commitment from South Sydney to continue to host games in Perth, with the broader goal of a permanent franchise in the balance ahead of the league’s new TV deal, slated for 2018.

Sackson said having former Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson working for the NRL’s strategy and development unit and making recommendations on expansion would be a boost to WA’s chances of securing an NRL club.

“He’s an advocate for rugby league in Western Australia,” Sackson said of Richardson.

“Shane probably knows more about rugby league in this state than arguably anyone else at rugby league central right now, because he’s experienced it here.

“For seven years now, the club that he formerly was the CEO of saw fit to bring home games successfully to WA.

“Shane will be a good voice of support for the prospects of having a franchise here.”

Sackson said he was confident a WA franchise could kick off with a membership of close to 10,000 in its first year, citing the state’s appetite for the game, government and corporate support, and the newly-developed nib Stadium as positives.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ib-stadium-clash/story-fni3fbgt-1227324907628

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't get to keep to date much with NRL news here in the west, so has there been any developments recently as to when a decision will be made expansion or not? Cheers in advance.

Join our Facebook page, we post all expansion news on there. Just search West coast pirates

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh they've bumped all the prices up around $10. I guess they are confident of 20k regardless of price.

gallagher

Juniors
Am i right to think they have only done this for the Stadiums best seats though??

not exatly carving the heart out of the average supporter.

All prices by the look of it. $140 for two adults and two kids anywhere along the sideline. Probably 90% of public seatimg

Perth Red

Post Whore
With booking fee.
Adult $54 Jnr $39 gold reserved seat
Adult $44 Jnr $32 tryzone seating
Adult $37 Jnr $30 GA

Of nibs capacity of around 23k
14k reserved seating
4k silver seating
5k GA

Price for kids is too much and the fact they class sitting on the 10m/try line in the East or west stands as gold seating is what is a rip off. also the seats with no protection from elements shouldn't be same as gold in East stand that keep you dry.

Its supply and demand and will still get 20k but I wont be buying tickets for my mates like I normally do at these prices.

gallagher

Juniors
With booking fee.
Adult $54 Jnr $39 gold reserved seat
Adult $44 Jnr $32 tryzone seating
Adult $37 Jnr $30 GA

Of nibs capacity of around 23k
14k reserved seating
4k silver seating
5k GA

Price for kids is too much and the fact they class sitting on the 10m/try line in the East or west stands as gold seating is what is a rip off. also the seats with no protection from elements shouldn't be same as gold in East stand that keep you dry.

Its supply and demand and will still get 20k but I wont be buying tickets for my mates like I normally do at these prices.

I wouldnt be surprised if those prices affected the crowd size.
The pirates will need to have better prices than that if and when they come in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Force have suffered by having silly ticket prices. Mind you basketball is equally expensive. No such thing as a cheap ticket in perth!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Harden up fellas.

I paid $35 to stand on the hill at Leichhardt last month...

I assume you actually get a seat in Perth for your money...

Latest posts