What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
The one big thing that knockers of Perth ignore is that Perth offers a new timezone - one that's sure to interest TV executives.

All of a sudden 9:30pm (East Coast time) kickoffs on Friday or Saturday night become an option.

Also game days produce better crowds and better games. Saturday or Sunday 4 is great for a Perth game, live at 5:30 or 6 on East Coast.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Perth must be the 17th team and it's a crying shame they weren't the 16th. The games taken to Perth are proof that there is a market for a league team and it'd be better run than the ill-fated Reds franchise (which could have survived if they didn't focus on the Storm).

alien

Referee
They should forget that AFL dump called Perth.

Expand where there are really league followers.

Another Queensland side and a second NZ team.

Perth is a waste of time

at one point, weren't all the aussie rules fans in victoria??? having teams around the country gets more people involved and creates new fans. i do agree with another brisbane team aswell though

alien

Referee
Not much publicity for the game,e this year which makes the crowd even more impressive. Game was a sell,out pre kick off and they were turning people away. The fans have spoken, give us a club you NRL merkins!

would it be possible for the capacity at that stadium to be increased to maybe around 25,000??? it looks like a nice stadium, but it would be good to increase the capacity a bit. . .

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh there are phase 2 plans. The West stand at the moment is smallish and the phase 2 would see that replaced with something similar to the new big East stand but with more corporate boxes. The final bit will see the south "shed" end replaced with a seating stand same as the new north end. I think all up it would take it to around 27,500. if the Govt would spend another $125mill on it anytime soon though is debatable given the smallish Force and Glory crowds and the new Burswood stadium being reconfigurable to rectangular for big games.

Personally I'd like to see the shed terracing extending right across the top southern end with a big roof covering it all. Would create a great atmosphere and add around 2000 GA's to the capacity for not a lot of cost. there is actually very little GA space at nib.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the new east and South stand

slide-nib-stadium.jpg

The current West stand which needs replacing

NIB_launch_10.jpg

and the south Shed end which is a mix of terracing, small bit of grass and front section seating.

BhEu2O3CEAAH3Ip.jpg:large

Stadium:

nib-may-29-13-170_opt1.jpg

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
Perth needs a team without a doubt. These games have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Question is how do you fix the sydney problem?

alien

Referee
yeh there are phase 2 plans. The West stand at the moment is smallish and the phase 2 would see that replaced with something similar to the new big East stand but with more corporate boxes. The final bit will see the south "shed" end replaced with a seating stand same as the new north end. I think all up it would take it to around 27,500.

perfect!

if souths keep playing a game in perth i might fly there 1 year. not just for the game but a look around the city too. i've never been to perth

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
yeh there are phase 2 plans. The West stand at the moment is smallish and the phase 2 would see that replaced with something similar to the new big East stand but with more corporate boxes. The final bit will see the south "shed" end replaced with a seating stand same as the new north end. I think all up it would take it to around 27,500. if the Govt would spend another $125mill on it anytime soon though is debatable given the smallish Force and Glory crowds and the new Burswood stadium being reconfigurable to rectangular for big games.

Personally I'd like to see the shed terracing extending right across the top southern end with a big roof covering it all. Would create a great atmosphere and add around 2000 GA's to the capacity for not a lot of cost. there is actually very little GA space at nib.

the nrl should make its completion a requirement for getting the licence...

Is the north end getting a roof?? or is it going to stay uncovered?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's been designed to take a roof during next stage and have corners filled in.

Tbh the state govt ok'd the phase 1 refurb in part because they were led to believe an nrl team would play there from 2013. Little hope of any goodwill at this time unfortunately.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In other good news the WA men's team just won the affiliated States championship for the 6th year on a row!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/national/sta...xpand-into-perth/story-e6frfkp9-1227401096822

State of Origin 2015 Game 2: Maroons fullback urges NRL to expand into Perth

by: PETER BADEL @badel_cmail
June 16, 2015 9:00PM

MAROONS fullback Billy Slater has urged NRL boss Dave Smith to issue rugby league’s next licence to Western Australia as part of the code’s push to play State of Origin in Perth.

On the eve of Origin II tonight at the MCG, Slater believes the NRL can succeed with a 17th team in the wild west if the governing body follows the Melbourne Storm expansionary template.

Evidence of the NRL’s successful venture into Melbourne will be witnessed tonight when an estimated 90,000 fans flock to the hallowed MCG in a city besotted with the rival AFL code.

NRL chief executive Smith has flagged the prospect of taking Origin games to Perth – and Slater says the code should go a step further by establishing a permanent home in the west.

Reared in Innisfail, Slater’s heart says Queensland is ready for a fourth NRL team, but his head is adamant rugby league will be a smash hit in Perth after his 10-year tenure in Melbourne.

“I think Perth is the way to go,” Slater told The Courier-Mail as he prepares for his 27th game for Queensland on Wednesday night.

“The NRL should take what Melbourne have done and take that model to other parts such as WA (Western Australia)

“It’s been great to be a part of rugby league’s success in Melbourne and I’d like to see us really expand our game.”

Prospective franchises are hoping the NRL will call for applications in December and the Perth public are voting with their feet, with 20,727 fans attending the Souths-Warriors clash at nib Stadium a fortnight ago.

Slater travelled across the Nullarbor with Melbourne for last year’s clash against the Bulldogs and was impressed with rugby league’s footprint in Perth.

“There is a real market over there,” he said.

“I’ve got no doubt that the code could benefit from another team in Queensland and New Zealand, but I really think Western Australia is the area we should explore.

“We had an NRL game there the other week between Souths and the Warriors and it generated 20,000 people. I have played over there in the past with the Storm and they’ve had upwards of 18,000 in attendance.

“Travel could be an issue but the AFL teams seem to handle it fine.

“I don’t know the ins and outs of the numbers but that’s an area we should look into.

“If we want a truly national game, the NRL needs a team Western Australia.”

Slater said running on to a near-packed MCG tonight will be another crowning moment in a glittering career that has featured Origin, Test, premiership and Dally M Medal triumphs.

“I have been fortunate to watch some big AFL games at the MCG and to think we can create a similar atmosphere with an Origin game is incredible,” he said.

“Living down here, you realise just how many big games this venue does hold.

“I know Origin was held at the MCG 20 years ago but the Melbourne public understand our code a lot more now. They will take to it a lot better than they have in the past and that has a lot to do with what the Storm has done for the game.”

Soccer had teams in Nth Qld and on the Gold Coast...and they died off too. Are they myopic?

Netball used to have more teams and contracted from 8 teams to 5 teams and got rid of their Canberra / ACT side and Newcastle/Hunter and merged two Melbourne teams in to one. Are they myopic too?

The State ODI cup had an ACT side for a couple of years and booted them. How myopic was that?

And AFL don't have a Canberra side or a Nth Qld side or a NZ side. How shit is their expansion? No team in Tasmania either and that's heartland.

And let's not get started on the National Basketcase League.

Last edited:

Latest posts