What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

flippikat

First Grade
You can't really drag the netball into this, as the contraction of Australian and NZ competitions was done to enable a 10 team trans-Tasman competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What has any of that to do with being the only professional sport not to have a team in a major capital city? In fact two if you count Adelaide.
I fail to see the link between a failed soccer club in a regional city like Townsville and a major code not having a team in a major city like Perth when every other sport is managing it?

What has any of that to do with being the only professional sport not to have a team in a major capital city? In fact two if you count Adelaide.
I fail to see the link between a failed soccer club in a regional city like Townsville and a major code not having a team in a major city like Perth when every other sport is managing it?

You whinge they are myopic but other codes are in the same boat to differing degrees.

If and when Perth get a team, I truly hope you find some happiness.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You whinge they are myopic but other codes are in the same boat to differing degrees.

If and when Perth get a team, I truly hope you find some happiness.

Not when it comes to Perth they're not. Like I said NRL is the ONLY professional sport without a team here, if that's not telling of how poor our code has been over the decades in growing itself into new markets nothing is. In 100 hundred years we've managed to get a team in one non traditional RL market, UK hasn't even managed that. Great game run by merkins just about sums up RL.

I am very happy with or without a Perth NRL team thanks for your concern, in my hotel suite enjoying an expensive glass of red before going for dinner in Melbourne after enjoying a cracking Origin game last night lol.

RoosTah

Juniors
Perth has to be the next place to get a team, no question. They have an appetite for the sport, it's a city with only a couple football teams - far less saturation than Melbourne who got a team so long ago - and it would add benefits with the prospect of later time slots for games.

Perth joining the NRL seems to make a lot of sense. It's a pity that Perth Red has acted like such an irritating jerk over the years which has made me actively support against their inclusion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Kiwis and Kangaroos could play a test in Perth next year before heading to the UK for the 2016 Four Nations.

The West Australian newspaper has reported that the NRL is in talks with the State government about playing the trans-Tasman test at nib Stadium.

The New Zealand Warriors recently played the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the same venue, with the game attracting a crowd of 20,272. The NRL are keen to grow the game in Western Australia and that game showed there was an appetite for it, especially from the large New Zealand ex-pat population in Perth.

The game would be played en-route to the Four Nations in October and November, which will be played in England and Scotland.

"We're always looking to markets outside of traditional rugby league areas and Perth is certainly an option to host test matches in the future," an NRL spokesman said.

There is a push in Perth for the West Coast Pirates to be part of an expanded NRL competition in 2018 and games will be played there during the 2017 World Cup.

If the Kiwis do head to Perth at the end of next season, there may have been some bartering between the NRL and New Zealand Rugby League over where the 2016 Anzac test is played.

The NZRL were bitterly disappointed that the NRL didn't agree to play the fixture at Eden Park this year.

The game was played in Brisbane, with the Kiwis winning 26-12 to record their third straight victory over Australia.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/69671977/nrl-looking-at-kiwis-playing-kangaroos-in-perth-in-2016

Perth Red

Post Whore
A trans-Tasman rugby league Test looks set to be played in Perth in October next year.

The NRL is in talks with the State Government about staging an Australia-New Zealand clash at nib Stadium and they took a big step forward when NRL chief executive David Smith was in Perth for the South Sydney-New Zealand Warriors game earlier this month.

Smith was among the record-breaking 20,272-strong crowd for the Rabbitohs’ 36-4 win and had talks with representatives from VenuesWest and nib Stadium.

Australia and New Zealand would use the game as part of their build-up to the Rugby League Four Nations tournament in England and Scotland in October and November.

The NRL wanted to bring a trans-Tasman Test to Perth three years ago but it is understood the State Government stalled over the decision. The game ended up in Townsville.

The NRL have confirmed there are plans to schedule rugby league World Cup games in 2017 in Perth and have signalled its intention to take the showpiece State of Origin to Perth and New Zealand.

An NRL spokesman confirmed Perth was on their radar to host the Test next year.

“We’re always looking to markets outside of traditional rugby league areas and Perth is certainly an option to host Test matches in the future,” he said.

The decision to play the game at the 20,500 capacity stadium would also be a coup for the WANRL, which is pushing for West Coast Pirates to be part of an expanded competition. A decision should be made next year whether they will be admitted to the 2018 competition.

Support for a Perth franchise has come from Melbourne’s international full-back Billy Slater, who said the Pirates would succeed if they followed the Storm’s expansion template.

The Australian Rugby Union has played 14 Tests in Perth, always at Domain Stadium, but that is expected to change next year with the Wallabies playing Argentina at nib Stadium. Four 2003 World Cup games were also played at the Subiaco venue.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28534177/perth-earns-rugby-league-test/

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
That would be awesome if they played each other over here, unfortunately I think it would favour the Kangaroos but would be good to see an international game live.

jargan83

Coach
I reckon this will an away game for the Kangaroos because of the large Kiwi population over here.

I hope it happens though!

Perth Red

Post Whore
State Government support is crucial to Perth hosting 2017 Rugby League World Cup matches.

Newly appointed tournament chief executive Michael Brown said he was keen to showcase the game across the country but the WA Government would need to show willingness to be involved.

Brown was in charge of soccer’s Asian Cup and has overseen Perth Glory’s selection process for a new chief executive.

He said governments would not get “something for nothing” from the tournament that will be played in October and November 2017 in Australia and New Zealand.

“You cannot hope to hold international sporting events in this country without government support, but you’ve got to be competitive and no one gets the right to host something for nothing,” Brown said.

“We’ll certainly be keen to talk to the Government. I’ll certainly be talking to them about whether there is an interest to participate and play games in Perth.

“I will ask whether there is an appetite and if so then these are the sort of packages we are offering and this is the support we’ll need.

“Governments are central because fundamentally they represent people and it’s not about making profits. It’s about putting on great events. They are not cheap and you need lots of support.

“You’ve got to have broadcasters, governments, commercial partners and the support of rugby league.

“Whatever you can do to take games around the country, we should be doing that but you’ve got to do it with willing partners. You’ve all got to work together.”

Tourism WA executive director of events Gwyn Dolphin said discussions with the NRL were at an early stage.

Brown said the success of NRL games in Perth, and in particular the successive record- breaking matches staged by the Rabbitohs at nib Stadium, showed there was an appetite for the game.

“There is a real culture of sport in Perth and rugby league is a part of that,” he said.

“We want to make this tournament as big as we can and make as big a splash as we can to get people to engage in rugby league. This event should be the biggest and best rugby league event ever.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28541479/government-must-come-to-world-cup-party/

Perth Red

Post Whore
11537243_10207312993041878_2894098662094571288_n.jpg

gallagher

Juniors
More expansion teams mean more teams winning their maiden premiership before Cronulla. Scary stuff for the bouncy castle brigade.

Latest posts