What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

alien

Referee
West Coast Pirates sounds better than "Western Reds" or "Perth Reds" anyway. It also doesn't make much sense for a side that won't even be all red like the Rugby Union "Reds" and it doesn't really mean anything either.

"reds" as in red kangaroos

reds-logo-l.jpg

i always thought the kangaroo would be better than a pirate, but a lot of people see it differently.

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
"reds" as in red kangaroos

reds-logo-l.jpg

i always thought the kangaroo would be better than a pirate, but a lot of people see it differently.

Well that's problematic in of itself - can't have an NRL club team with the symbol of the national team.

Pirates is a better name, aligns more with the whole "coast" thing and their logo is more well conceived and designed. Western Reds just feels derivative and adds the confusion of people having to specify the NRL Reds over the Super Rugby Reds.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well that's problematic in of itself - can't have an NRL club team with the symbol of the national team.

Pirates is a better name, aligns more with the whole "coast" thing and their logo is more well conceived and designed. Western Reds just feels derivative and adds the confusion of people having to specify the NRL Reds over the Super Rugby Reds.

Rubbish....it's purely marketing, that's it. It's easier to make kiddie things with pirates then kangaroos.

RoosTah

Juniors
Rubbish....it's purely marketing, that's it. It's easier to make kiddie things with pirates then kangaroos.

Well if you wanted to make it less about "marketing" wouldn't you go with something significant and representative of WA - like calling them the Western Swans and give it a black swan emblem? Certainly less "marketing driven" that "Reds" or "Pirates" - which are on par on terms of not being very representative of WA

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Well if you wanted to make it less about "marketing" wouldn't you go with something significant and representative of WA - like calling them the Western Swans and give it a black swan emblem? Certainly less "marketing driven" that "Reds" or "Pirates" - which are on par on terms of not being very representative of WA

Reds represented the Red Kangaroo which found throughout WA, similar to black swans.

strong_latte

Juniors
Reds represented the Red Kangaroo which found throughout WA, similar to black swans.

That doesn't really make any sense ... Red Kangaroos are found in almost every state and territory, so it's no more symbolic of WA than a dingo.

All these names can't help but be manufactured and it's been so long since the Super League team that I think going back to them would be a little pointless at this stage.

If you were going to revive an old rugby league brand, you'd be better served making them the West Coast Bears. You'd have instant traveling support for them in Sydney and their colors almost match.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That doesn't really make any sense ... Red Kangaroos are found in almost every state and territory, so it's no more symbolic of WA than a dingo.

All these names can't help but be manufactured and it's been so long since the Super League team that I think going back to them would be a little pointless at this stage.

If you were going to revive an old rugby league brand, you'd be better served making them the West Coast Bears. You'd have instant traveling support for them in Sydney and their colors almost match.

Or Jets, Magpies, etc. Yep, of all of the brands to bring back, Reds would be no more valuable than a new brand.

Personally, id like to see the Tigers moved to Perth and the Balmain image revived, while putting a Magpies team in Adelaide. (3 birds, 1 stone: reduce the Sydney congestion, provide an immediate Sydney interest for these teams and justify it all by saying "we're bringing back these 2 foundation team")

Having said that, Pirates is a pretty cool name....

strong_latte

Juniors
Or Jets, Magpies, etc. Yep, of all of the brands to bring back, Reds would be no more valuable than a new brand.

Personally, id like to see the Tigers moved to Perth and the Balmain image revived, while putting a Magpies team in Adelaide. (3 birds, 1 stone: reduce the Sydney congestion, provide an immediate Sydney interest for these teams and justify it all by saying "we're bringing back these 2 foundation team")

Having said that, Pirates is a pretty cool name....

Yeah I have to say I'm a fan of what they've done with the whole pirates thing

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here is how the Pirates jerseys have been evolving so far. Glad we got rid of the horrible tangerine side panels!

11251724_10207456969321195_8261133822648418782_n.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd prefer it we went with the WA state black and gold jersey and just added a splash of Crimson on it somewhere. A slightly reworked Warriors Wellington Jersey would work great for a WA team.

RoosTah

Juniors
I'd prefer it we went with the WA state black and gold jersey and just added a splash of Crimson on it somewhere. A slightly reworked Warriors Wellington Jersey would work great for a WA team.

That 2014 home jersey is basically that isn't it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rugby league legend Nathan Hindmarsh believes an NRL club based in WA would have no problem attracting players from the Eastern States.

But Hindmarsh, a one-club player at Parramatta Eels for 15 years and 330 games, warned the NRL had to ensure there were enough quality players to make an expanded competition viable.

“Players would come, it would be no different from a player moving from Brisbane to Melbourne to follow a dream of playing NRL,” the former Australian and State of Origin second-rower said.

“There would be no dramas in getting players across but have we got enough quality players to facilitate another top side?

“That is one of the questions we have to answer before we even think about facilitating expansion.”

The relocation of a team to Perth from NSW is an option being investigated by the NRL’s head of strategy Shane Richardson, who supports the idea of a side in WA. Richardson’s review is expected to be released in about 12 months when the WANRL will know whether their West Coast Pirates franchise will be admitted to the competition in 2018 when a new television deal starts.

Hindmarsh was in Perth for a coaching clinic for 300 young players.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...end-says-wa-based-team-would-attract-players/