What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
That 2014 home jersey is basically that isn't it?

Like this but maybe scarlet red cuffs and collar

eddie_proudler_wa_motm_d2assrl09_s600L.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is this years version. Just think black and yellow or gold would be quite uinque in NRL (and SL) and just add a dash of red for a linkage to the Reds and the logo. Or just keep black and yellow and have a red and balck alternate kit.
11692509_390051797866685_2545877402187483415_n.jpg

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
The relocation of a team to Perth from NSW is an option being investigated by the NRL’s head of strategy Shane Richardson, who supports the idea of a side in WA. Richardson’s review is expected to be released in about 12 months when the WANRL will know whether their West Coast Pirates franchise will be admitted to the competition in 2018 when a new television deal starts.

Hindmarsh was in Perth for a coaching clinic for 300 young players.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...end-says-wa-based-team-would-attract-players/

The more I think about it the more I think WA will get a team but it'll be a team from the East Coast relocated. The article about the new TV deal earlier in the week didn't seem to give much hope of extra team but what im reading, the NRL know they'd be fools if they didn't put a team in WA. A 17-team competitionn with a move to 18 sometime after 2020 would give time to grow more first grade players.

The NRL now, isn't like the NRL of old, they wouldn't be concerned about stepping on toes and looking after the old boys if a team moved west. I'd really laugh if the NRL just wanted to f**k over the ARU and buy the Western Force for cheap and turn it into a RL team

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The more I think about it the more I think WA will get a team but it'll be a team from the East Coast relocated. The article about the new TV deal earlier in the week didn't seem to give much hope of extra team but what im reading, the NRL know they'd be fools if they didn't put a team in WA. A 17-team competitionn with a move to 18 sometime after 2020 would give time to grow more first grade players.

Yeah the longer it takes for an announcement to be made about expansion the more I start to think that the NRL are planing a relocation or regulation instead of expansion, which is a good thing in my opinion.

All the comments from Shane Richardson over the past year have indicated rationalization is on the agenda to me as well.

The NRL now, isn't like the NRL of old, they wouldn't be concerned about stepping on toes and looking after the old boys if a team moved west. I'd really laugh if the NRL just wanted to f**k over the ARU and buy the Western Force for cheap and turn it into a RL team

I know that you're not being serious but, wouldn't the ARU have to approve the sale of the Force?
And do you really think that there's any value in the Force's brand that the NRL could capitalizes on?

I don't think that the Force have anything that the NRL want in a brand that they couldn't get more easily simply by creating a new brand and I reckon that the Force would probably carry quite a few negatives that the NRL would want to avoid in a new club.

But hey you never know, maybe the NRL are stupid enough to spend stupid money to buy a relatively worthless RU club just as a political uppercut to RU, and maybe because the ARU are sinking like they've been thrown overboard with a cannonball strapped to their legs they'd be willing to sell the Force to the NRL for one last breath before they sink into the nether, but somehow I doubt it.

Seriously though, if (and it's a big if IMO) the ARU do ever go under then the NRL should look into either trying to convince some of the Super Rugby clubs to jump ship and play RL in the NRL or buying them to own teams that the new RU (that would inevitably form) would need to survive.
I mean the Reds brand would be a great pick up for the NRL we need another team in Brisbane and it's a respected and well recognized brand, and though we don't really need more teams in Canberra or Sydney, the Waratahs and the Brumbies are both valuable brands as well and the NRL could benefit from ownership of them.

For many reasons I seriously doubt that any of that would ever happen though.

RoosTah

Juniors
This is this years version. Just think black and yellow or gold would be quite uinque in NRL (and SL) and just add a dash of red for a linkage to the Reds and the logo. Or just keep black and yellow and have a red and balck alternate kit.

It's a nice design, but thinking long term I reckon you'd be better off steering clear of WA's straight rep colours so you can allow for further expansion in the west. Having one side that wears the state's colours would sorta detract from another side in my view.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lo, l I don't think we need to be worrying about a second club anytime this century! We aren't the afl!

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's a nice design, but thinking long term I reckon you'd be better off steering clear of WA's straight rep colours so you can allow for further expansion in the west. Having one side that wears the state's colours would sorta detract from another side in my view.

Lo, l I don't think we need to be worrying about a second club anytime this century! We aren't the afl!

I'd save the design but not for a second NRL team, I'd save it for Origin.

SOO will most likely go one of three ways over the next century-

. It'll either stay as Queensland vs NSW and slowly become more and more irreverent as RL grows outside of NSW and Queensland and large amounts talent starts to be produced outside NSW and Queensland at which point the relative quality of the games will drop significantly and interest will wane until SOO isn't worth contesting.

. It'll stay as NSW vs Queensland but states and territories outside of NSW and Queensland will be aligned to one or the other in an attempt to keep all of the best talent in SOO, at which point SOO will no longer be SOO and will have turned into a meaningless All Stars match.

. Or in an attempt to keep SOO relevant it'll be expanded to include more States and territories, which will give short term boosts in interest every time a team is added until there're no more teams to add, at which point the quality of the games will be very diluted and it'll take up so much of the calendar that it'll become stale and time consuming and it'll go the way of the AFL's SOO.

I reckon that the third possibility is the most likely as it has the potential to keep SOO relevant and interesting the longest (as long as it isn't rushed and forced like the AFL's was), and to create the most income.

So apart from having to wait 20-30 years before it's actually used (as IMO no state or territory will be able to field a reasonably competitive team before then, except the ACT which could probably field one now if it we were given areas such as Queanbeyan, Goulburn and Cooma which are in the ACT's area of influence and all participate in the ACT competitions, but that will never happen because it's not in NSW's interests and everybody in RL outside of Canberra treats the ACT as if it doesn't exist), I'd save the WA jersey for the WA State of Origin bid.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'd prefer it we went with the WA state black and gold jersey and just added a splash of Crimson on it somewhere. A slightly reworked Warriors Wellington Jersey would work great for a WA team.

This is one of the reasons i think the BalmainTigers would go well in Perth.

They were "Black and Gold" (though a different shade)...

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No sydney clubs will relocate

Roosters - no

Souths - no

Parra - no

Penrith - no

Cronulla - no, not with development going on there which ensures cash flow and their future

Manly - no

Saints - no

Bulldogs - no

Tigers - doubt it

LeagueXIII

First Grade

. It'll either stay as Queensland vs NSW and slowly become more and more irreverent as RL grows outside of NSW and Queensland and large amounts talent starts to be produced outside NSW and Queensland at which point the relative quality of the games will drop significantly and interest will wane until SOO isn't worth contesting.

. It'll stay as NSW vs Queensland but states and territories outside of NSW and Queensland will be aligned to one or the other in an attempt to keep all of the best talent in SOO, at which point SOO will no longer be SOO and will have turned into a meaningless All Stars match.

. Or in an attempt to keep SOO relevant it'll be expanded to include more States and territories, which will give short term boosts in interest every time a team is added until there're no more teams to add, at which point the quality of the games will be very diluted and it'll take up so much of the calendar that it'll become stale and time consuming and it'll go the way of the AFL's SOO.

I reckon that the third possibility is the most likely as it has the potential to keep SOO relevant and interesting the longest (as long as it isn't rushed and forced like the AFL's was), and to create the most income.

So apart from having to wait 20-30 years before it's actually used (as IMO no state or territory will be able to field a reasonably competitive team before then, except the ACT which could probably field one now if it we were given areas such as Queanbeyan, Goulburn and Cooma which are in the ACT's area of influence and all participate in the ACT competitions, but that will never happen because it's not in NSW's interests and everybody in RL outside of Canberra treats the ACT as if it doesn't exist), I'd save the WA jersey for the WA State of Origin bid.

Maybe origin will become a one off game way down track

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I think youre overstating the risk Origin faces....

Origin isnt just about NSW v QLD, the great draw of the contest is that it brings together all of the rivalry and parochialism that has been lost in the NRL/VFL/any franchise league.

Whereas, in the NRL, a player could run out for Souths one year, Dragons the next and Easts the next (reducing the apparent rivalry between the clubs) we will never see a NSW player run out in Maroon or a QLD player in sky blue.

It doesnt really matter where a players was born as long as the stick with the team that makes them famous, and i think fans in states outside of NSW/QLD can watch and enjoy for this alone...

gallagher

Juniors
11692509_390051797866685_2545877402187483415_n.jpg

Geez wests tigers could relocate and keep the colours and name quite easily.

Atleast we have one thing in common. Just because it opens another tv viewing spot whoopppeee, how about develop some players because if WA do get in all it'll have playing for them are imported NSW and QLD players not to mention former english super league players looking for a quick dollar. You may develop your 1st home grown NRL after your first 15 years in the competition like Melbourne did.

Last edited: