What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's clear additional clubs are the watto go. Be it : Brisbane 2, West Coast Pirates , Central Coast Bears or NZ2. Two of those areas should be planned and announced sooner rather than later. Time is ticking & these clubs would gain the NRL revenue on top of increasing junior numbers and overall interest. It's fairly obvious but something or someone is intent on holding such progress up!

Well three of the four you listed would gain the NRL additional revenue. The Bears on the other hand can't come near what the others bring and offer nothing new to the game that it doesn't already have.

Stallion

First Grade
Well three of the four you listed would gain the NRL additional revenue. The Bears on the other hand can't come near what the others bring and offer nothing new to the game that it doesn't already have.

The Bears would gain the Central Coast and recapture lost Bears fans that you seem to think don't exist! They are in there 100000s but you can't register this. It's a recapture and consolidation of damage done. And a much easier addition. Infrastructure and junior players already in place just like Brisbane 2.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you please take your Bears chatter elsewhere, not like there arent a 1/2 dozen other threads on the Bears readmission!

Vee

First Grade
Some decent talk here about the Pirates brand.

While the traditionalist in me loves a good animal mascot and would prefer to see the old Reds back, I can see the appeal Pirates has for the younger generation.

But I find it very difficult to get behind these broad, featureless location brandings like "West Coast". Yeah it might seem more inclusive but are you losing some international branding and recognition by not anchoring to a real place name? And are you throwing in some avoidable branding confusion with West Coast Eagles?

Imo Perth Pirates or WA Pirates are better names.
Id prefer WA, we are having great success growing the game in regional WA and we need and want them on board with the NRL club so need to keep it inclusive.
I'm not much of a fan of the old Reds name to be honest definitely prefer Pirates. Im the same as you guys on the 'West Coast' name (probably because I hate the Eagles in the AFL haha) I'd say Perth Pirates has a better ring to it than WA Pirates.
I much prefer the Western Reds, an iconic animal with the Western uniting WA. A big red kangaroo would engage the kids every bit as well as a pirate IMO.

jim_57

Staff member
I always find the "they already produce junior players" argument a funny one. Yeh sure, Central Coast, Ipswich and Redcliffe produce juniors but it's not like those juniors need an NRL club on their doorstep to get a shot if they're good enough.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I have to admit, the NRL made a bit of a blunder introducing the GC in 2007 over a WA team.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that the GC have a team and SE QLD has a second club but would it really have been better for the game than a WA team at the time?

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I prefer the West Coast or WA name over Perth. The previous 2 are more inclusive than just Perth. The club could always go with a name change later on if a second WA was ever to come in to play.... much like the Roosters, Warriors, Bulldogs, Tigers have all done previously.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have to admit, the NRL made a bit of a blunder introducing the GC in 2007 over a WA team.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that the GC have a team and SE QLD has a second club but would it really have been better for the game than a WA team at the time?

They were heading off afl and Tbf Queensland is under represented. Also in 2007 the game was pretty much dead here. It was only from 2008 did it start to gather momentum and get life breathed back into it. I think possibly the expansion of GC actually started the momentum that one day perth might get a team again and from that time the game has grown year in year in W.A..

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
They were heading off afl and Tbf Queensland is under represented. Also in 2007 the game was pretty much dead here. It was only from 2008 did it start to gather momentum and get life breathed back into it. I think possibly the expansion of GC actually started the momentum that one day perth might get a team again and from that time the game has grown year in year in W.A..
Yeah, I see the point. As someone whose never lived in WA it’s hard for me to determine the support climate. I also agree that SE QLD is underepresented but still would have been cool to have a team in a market with 0 representation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’ll happen some day.

Back in 2007 we used to be lucky to get the ch9 game on at 1am, if they felt like showing it, thats how poor game was travelling here. John Sackson has done an amazing job as ceo on the smell of an oily rag and really deserves the credit for getting the game off Life support in W.A. and now at the point where we have the biggest participation growth % in the country, origin in front of a sell out stadium and genuine opportunity for an nrl club once again.

Vee

First Grade

WA weren't an option at the time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha they couldn't afford me!
We have 5 development officer positions in WA. Would like to see much greater investment, every time we get a new DO position our participation rates jump significantly. If the NRL ever got serious about funding the game in WA I'd like to see annual funding of:

$300k for running SG ball and elite jnr pathway improvements
$500k for a U20's team in NSW comp
$1million for a NSW cup team
$300k for 3 new DO positions and increased schools comp

Annual increase to NRLWA $2.1million. The NRL has committed to spend an extra $54million on grassroots over the next 4 years.

This would really give us strong foundations for an eventual 2023 admission of the Pirates into the NRL. You can but wish!

Last edited:

Cdd

Juniors
Haha they couldn't afford me!
We have 5 development officer positions in WA. Would like to see much greater investment, every time we get a new DO position our participation rates jump significantly. If the NRL ever got serious about funding the game in WA I'd like to see annual funding of:

$300k for running SG ball and elite jnr pathway improvements
$500k for a U20's team in NSW comp
$1million for a NSW cup team
$300k for 3 new DO positions and increased schools comp

Annual increase to NRLWA $2.1million. The NRL has committed to spend an extra $54million on grassroots over the next 4 years.

This would really give us strong foundations for an eventual 2023 admission of the Pirates into the NRL. You can but wish!

Hopefully a sold out stadium in Perth for Origin will make them think seriously about extra funding for Western Australia.

Would be the perfect time to announce extra investment leading to a new team in 2023. The feel good factor around Origin would win a lot of fans for the Pirates straight away if the NRL announced they were coming in.

ReddFelon

Juniors
More expansion of the game in Perth. Today marks the founding of the Mundijong Rugby League club, filling the void in one of Perth's biggest population regions (City of Armadale/Serpentine jarrahdale shire) approximately 106,000 residents with potential growth to 130,000 by 2028.

This region hasn't had a League club since 2007 when the Armadale Warriors closed down.

https://www.facebook.com/Mundijong-Rugby-League-Sporting-Club-278173666446780/

More expansion of the game in Perth. Today marks the founding of the Mundijong Rugby League club, filling the void in one of Perth's biggest population regions (City of Armadale/Serpentine jarrahdale shire) approximately 106,000 residents with potential growth to 130,000 by 2028.

This region hasn't had a League club since 2007 when the Armadale Warriors closed down.

https://www.facebook.com/Mundijong-Rugby-League-Sporting-Club-278173666446780/
Great news that's for sure. That's my local area so good to see them start up a new club as the local union club has gone from strength to strength since moving to a new facility. So hopefully they capture some of those kids as well.

Latest posts