What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Brian potter

First Grade

Nuke

Staff member
I suppose my only real issue withe the West Coast Pirates brand, is that the logo is, and the name suggests, a male character. If you look at the game today, female participation rates are soaring, and the NRLW will, one year in the relatively near future, have the same teams as the NRL.

I'm not one of these new-age types who goes for all this 'gender neutral', "I feel like I should have been a woman so treat me as such and call me Francene, and if you don't, you're just ignorant" type of stuff, however for sporting clubs, particularly the professional ones, I do feel that logos/names should take into consideration that both men and women will be playing.

As I've said elsewhere on these forums before, Canberra missed a golden opportunity to call their womens side the Valkyries, or at the least, using that logo (as they already have it designed). I don't know too many teenage girls aspiring to play League would be dreaming of having a hairy bearded bloke sitting on her left chest.

When I redesigned the Joondalup Giants logo in 2018, the above points were at the forefront of my mind, and they were (and still are) very well received by our clubpeople and the heirachy of the game here.
images.jpeg-1.jpgScreenshot_20230814-084625_Drive.jpg

bazza

Immortal
I suppose my only real issue withe the West Coast Pirates brand, is that the logo is, and the name suggests, a male character. If you look at the game today, female participation rates are soaring, and the NRLW will, one year in the relatively near future, have the same teams as the NRL.
The Pirates mascot could be Geena Davis

The Great Dane

First Grade

I'm not one of these new-age types who goes for all this 'gender neutral', "I feel like I should have been a woman so treat me as such and call me Francene, and if you don't, you're just ignorant" type of stuff, however for sporting clubs, particularly the professional ones, I do feel that logos/names should take into consideration that both men and women will be playing.

As I've said elsewhere on these forums before, Canberra missed a golden opportunity to call their womens side the Valkyries, or at the least, using that logo (as they already have it designed). I don't know too many teenage girls aspiring to play League would be dreaming of having a hairy bearded bloke sitting on her left chest.

When I redesigned the Joondalup Giants logo in 2018, the above points were at the forefront of my mind, and they were (and still are) very well received by our clubpeople and the heirachy of the game here.
View attachment 78055View attachment 78056
I don't have strong feelings on the West Coast Pirates brand, but everything you've said there is plain wrong.

Pirate isn't a gendered term, it's used universally for both male and female pirates, and there were, and still are, both male and female pirates. In fact some of the most successful and famous pirates of all time were female, Anne Bonny (whom ironically was one of the major inspirations for both Keira Knightley and Geena Davis' characters) is probably the most famous example.
The West Coast Pirates logo is a cartoon skull as well, which is also gender neutral. In other words the Pirates' logo and name doesn't suggest a male character in the slightest.

The NRL requires shared branding as part of the license agreement for an NRLW side. In other words it was the NRL that missed the Valkyrie opportunity, not the Raiders.

In fact, as far as we know publicly, the Raiders can be proud of the fact that they were the only club to try and go about branding and launching their NRLW side as a genuine attempt at introducing their women's side as an alternate product instead of a largely tokenistic publicity stunt that exists primarily for political reasons. It's also not their fault that the out of touch old men in Sydney whom run this sport prevented them from doing that.

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
I think they should go for "West Coast..." whatever moniker they may use.

I think using it would not only be reflective of WA but also possibly help in engaging the West Coast (Capetown) region in South Africa.

Perth Red

Post Whore

View attachment 78055View attachment 78056
It’s a skull, it’s gender neutral lol.
still there’s No reason there couldnt be a female pirates badge for nrlw in same way.

Nuke

Staff member
Nope, you're both right. It's a skull! For some reason when I was typing it, I had Canberra's logo in my head but looking like a pirate like Blackbeard or something. I dunno where my head was at in that moment!!

The old Hunter Pirates NBL basketball logo I'd seen very recently, so I'll blame that...

How many fans will flock to Perth Oval to support a Perth-based NRL club?

Less than 7k turned up to Perth Oval to watch the Force play against the Rebels (6,885) and Pasifika (6,497). That's without competition from the NRL. Crowds aren't much better for the Queensland Reds in Brisbane and Townsville, but they've got competition from the NRL.

Surely an NRL club in Perth should be able to average 12k or more?

flippikat

Bench
How many fans will flock to Perth Oval to support a Perth-based NRL club?

Less than 7k turned up to Perth Oval to watch the Force play against the Rebels (6,885) and Pasifika (6,497). That's without competition from the NRL. Crowds aren't much better for the Queensland Reds in Brisbane and Townsville, but they've got competition from the NRL.

Surely an NRL club in Perth should be able to average 12k or more?
To be fair, from an Australian perspective, Super Rugby mustn't be a very attractive prospect - 80 minutes of stop-start crap, then (if the opposition is from across the ditch) 9 out of 10 times the NZ team wins.

To be fair, from an Australian perspective, Super Rugby mustn't be a very attractive prospect - 80 minutes of stop-start crap, then (if the opposition is from across the ditch) 9 out of 10 times the NZ team wins.

If the Pirates are able to average 12k or more over 12 home games each season then it will put the Force between a rock and a hard place.