What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

jim_57

Staff member
Yeh have to agree, block gold rarely looks good, mainly black, with yellow or or gold and dash of scarlet red if we are the pirates, screw dolphins. Or black and silver With dash’s of red or yellow.

red, black, dash of yellow if we end up bears

anything but blue and white if we end up jets

green silver and black if we end up with something totally different.

Blue & Black might be different enough to make it work. Jets existed the same time as Bulldogs previously though I guess.

Found this for a Blue & Black Jets jersey.
images

And of course there is the classic Inter Milan.

images

D454196E-987B-4309-9DAB-1D9BC295FA4F-COLLAGE.jpeg

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don’t mind yellow and black for a club, it’s unique in nrl. Just my personal preference, how much yellow clothing do you have in your wardrobe?
May seem a strange decision point but merch sales can be a major source of revenue, but not if you pick a colour people don’t want to wear. LiKew ise if we use black athe main colour, it’s bloody hot in perth most of the year and wearing black polos or tshirts is not the done thing. Having said that at this point if we get a club they can wear yellow with pink and purple dots for all Id care lol.
How much lime green, purple, orange, etc, even vibrant blues and reds, are in your wardrobe? And I don't see any evidence that the West Coast Eagles struggle to move their merch with yellow in it either. . .

Off field merch doesn't have to directly reflect on field kit anyway (the raiders most popular off field stuff has never been green, but they keep moving green jerseys all the same), not that there's anything wrong with yellow and black merch anyway. Look up any major team and they'll have ranges of merch in neutral tones and all sorts of other colours.

Secondly, it's absolute nonsense on face value to suggest that people in Perth don't wear black or dark colours, and Perth's average highs aren't really that much hotter than most of the rest of Australia. It's average summer is definitely comparable to Penrith's, and guess what the Panthers main colour is...

These are completely nonsense non-issues masquerading as "just my opinion man", which is especially insane considering that the Western Reds jersey and merch were heavy in black and all your mock-ups of Pirates jerseys have been majority black...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeh have to agree, block gold rarely looks good, mainly black, with yellow or or gold and dash of scarlet red if we are the pirates, screw dolphins. Or black and silver With dash’s of red or yellow.
The only people you'd be screwing would be yourselves if you copy the Dolphins colour scheme.

They got in first, it is what it is, adapt and move on.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Not that it's exactly the same, but each new iteration of a Gold Coast team, was a new corporation, new entity, new monicker, and new colors. And Perth would be similar from Reds to Pirates. Will be a new corp/entity, already will be a new name, so colors might well be different....instead of black, red, yellow....could be say black, grey, blue.

Bukowski

Juniors
How much lime green, purple, orange, etc, even vibrant blues and reds, are in your wardrobe? And I don't see any evidence that the West Coast Eagles struggle to move their merch with yellow in it either. . .

Off field merch doesn't have to directly reflect on field kit anyway (the raiders most popular off field stuff has never been green, but they keep moving green jerseys all the same), not that there's anything wrong with yellow and black merch anyway. Look up any major team and they'll have ranges of merch in neutral tones and all sorts of other colours.

Secondly, it's absolute nonsense on face value to suggest that people in Perth don't wear black or dark colours, and Perth's average highs aren't really that much hotter than most of the rest of Australia. It's average summer is definitely comparable to Penrith's, and guess what the Panthers main colour is...

These are completely nonsense non-issues masquerading as "just my opinion man", which is especially insane considering that the Western Reds jersey and merch were heavy in black and all your mock-ups of Pirates jerseys have been majority black...
This is true. I have plenty of black shirts, you don't wear them playing golf in summer or any place where your in the sun all day. But summer is just a few months anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Red & Yellow would be a good colour combo, no black needed, maybe white for trim or alternate kits. That or PNG could go with something totally unique to the national team. PNG Hunters & Port Moresby Viper would both be playing in the same city with Red, Yellow & Black as well.
Yeh Catalans have some of the best jerseys in SL using just red and yellow.

Nuke

Staff member
I was going to post about these exact jerseys. I'm a Huddersfield supporter primarily, but I LOVE those two Catalans jerseys on the left (red one, white one) with the 'gold' gold. So much so that I ordered them at the time. Yes, they look better on professional athletes, but they still look damn good in a wardrobe in Western Australia!

The Great Dane

First Grade
I was going to post about these exact jerseys. I'm a Huddersfield supporter primarily, but I LOVE those two Catalans jerseys on the left (red one, white one) with the 'gold' gold. So much so that I ordered them at the time. Yes, they look better on professional athletes, but they still look damn good in a wardrobe in Western Australia!
Those Catalans jerseys are exactly what Dolphins jerseys will/should end up looking like once they get a half decent designer. . . The red and gold niche has been filled, WA should look to find their own niche.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Those Catalans jerseys are exactly what Dolphins jerseys will/should end up looking like once they get a half decent designer. . . The red and gold niche has been filled, WA should look to find their own niche.
Nah we’ll get in whilst they faf around with black and red lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
yeh because a jersey colour is going to make or break the the success of NRL in WA lol.
That attitude of ignoring the best interest of the league and sport as whole to work towards your own agrandisment will inevitably extend beyond the branding, and bad branding could massively impact the success of an NRL side in WA, and you're beyond naive if you think otherwise. Just look at the Firehawks; they had the best bid without a doubt, but it fell apart in no small part because of the fact that people didn't understand or like the mascot. Their brand totally failed to translate with their target audience, and public support for their bid disintegrated as a result.

Good administration and back of house stuff like that is infinitely more important than results on the footy field, and normally the former leads to the latter. You're probably going to struggle with the more complex elements of managing a football business and team if you can't get basic things like good branding down, and you need look no further than the successive clubs on the GC if you need evidence of that.

Bukowski

Juniors
That attitude of ignoring the best interest of the league and sport as whole to work towards your own agrandisment will inevitably extend beyond the branding, and bad branding could massively impact the success of an NRL side in WA, and you're beyond naive if you think otherwise. Just look at the Firehawks; they had the best bid without a doubt, but it fell apart in no small part because of the fact that people didn't understand or like the mascot. Their brand totally failed to translate with their target audience, and public support for their bid disintegrated as a result.

Good administration and back of house stuff like that is infinitely more important than results on the footy field, and normally the former leads to the latter. You're probably going to struggle with the more complex elements of managing a football business and team if you can't get basic things like good branding down, and you need look no further than the successive clubs on the GC if you need evidence of that.
100% agreed. That's why I worry if they choose the bears as a mascot.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Haha what tosh. A sports team name doesn’t make or break it, firehawks not getting in and nothing to do with their name and everything to do with news ltd. Two teams playing in similar colours makes not a jot of difference to the sport or the success of each club. Neither your or mine opinion on a website will make any difference what so ever to what a perth bid will choose So really not worth getting so upset about lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
Haha what tosh. A sports team name doesn’t make or break it, firehawks not getting in and nothing to do with their name and everything to do with news ltd.
You're beyond naive if you truly believe that the massive backlash to the Firehawks brand didn't have significant negative impacts on their bid, and you're truly a f**king moron if you believe branding, marketing, and advertising, isn't important and that bad branding can't significantly harm a business's prospects, even be a contributing factor in their failure.
Two teams playing in similar colours makes not a jot of difference to the sport or the success of each club.
Depends on the circumstances.

It would speak to the quality of the people in charge of the club if, for example, a club was to forgo an opportunity to build a unique brand identity backed by solid marketing rational to effectively ape another brand because 'f**k them', especially considering all the broader issues a decision like that creates.

It'd also speak volumes to the attitude they're going to hold towards doing business with the rest of the league when their attitude is 'f**k them, look after ourselves first'.
Neither your or mine opinion on a website will make any difference what so ever to what a perth bid will choose So really not worth getting so upset about lol
That's not necessarily true.

You'd be surprised how often unsolicited input from the public can influence these decisions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Congrats to WA jnr Josh Rogers who will make his debut for Broncos this weekend. First WA jnr to make Broncos first grade team.

josh played jnrs for north beach then graduated into pirates sg ball team before joining the intrust cup. He was 5/8th if the year in that comp.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're beyond naive if you truly believe that the massive backlash to the Firehawks brand didn't have significant negative impacts on their bid, and you're truly a f**king moron if you believe branding, marketing, and advertising, isn't important and that bad branding can't significantly harm a business's prospects, even be a contributing factor in their failure.

Depends on the circumstances.

It would speak to the quality of the people in charge of the club if, for example, a club was to forgo an opportunity to build a unique brand identity backed by solid marketing rational to effectively ape another brand because 'f**k them', especially considering all the broader issues a decision like that creates.

It'd also speak volumes to the attitude they're going to hold towards doing business with the rest of the league when their attitude is 'f**k them, look after ourselves first'.

That's not necessarily true.

You'd be surprised how often unsolicited input from the public can influence these decisions.
You’re beyond naive if you think easts not getting in had anything to do with the name firehawks and everything g to do with who news ltd/broncos saw as the least competition. !

you’re talking nonsense re impact of branding. I mean the biggest club in rugby league chose a name that had nothing to do with their location and was just a quick nfl rip off!

do you honestly think any rl fan in wa won’t support a new club because of colours or name they choose? Please.

as for this:

it did give me Laugh, well done

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Dolphins ticked a number of boxes for the ARLC, strong likable brand, distance from the Broncos and their strong asset base. They have their own stadium, pokie club, fitness centre with pool and shopping centre.

Latest posts