What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Nuke

Staff member
I don't like to be a repeat-poster, but plenty of other people do it, so bugger it, here goes again!

For mine, Dolphins stay as red, sandy yellow, and white.
WC/WA/Perth team (Pirates or otherwise) should go with 'old gold', black, and red trim.
Attached are quick mockups I've done in the past (last year maybe?) utilising these colours. Mainly black kits and mainly gold kits can easily form main and alternate kits without clashing with hardly any other clubs' kits. If absolutely required, a third kit (a mainly red one) can fill that gap ... but I doubt it'd be needed.
For the fun of it, a Western Reds heritage-inspired kit was also designed at the time.

WCP rebrand idea.jpg

MugaB

Coach
I don't like to be a repeat-poster, but plenty of other people do it, so bugger it, here goes again!

WC/WA/Perth team (Pirates or otherwise) should go with 'old gold', black, and red trim.
Attached are quick mockups I've done in the past (last year maybe?) utilising these colours. Mainly black kits and mainly gold kits can easily form main and alternate kits without clashing with hardly any other clubs' kits. If absolutely required, a third kit (a mainly red one) can fill that gap ... but I doubt it'd be needed.
For the fun of it, a Western Reds heritage-inspired kit was also designed at the time.

View attachment 78533
The away gold looks like teeth from the skull of the logo

Colk

First Grade

View attachment 78533

They are really good

The Great Dane

First Grade
Indigo/violet and orange for Adelaide
Something like the phoenix suns
Places like Adelaide are interesting because they're going to be forced to be unorthodox by Australian sporting standards. By the time they come in they'll have been completely crowded out of their traditional colour schemes (blue, yellow, and red), and there won't be any colour schemes that are conventional in the Australian sports culture left.

They'll either have to go very unique or be forced to accept that they're going to clash badly with some of the other clubs, which is inevitable to an extent once a competition grows beyond a certain size.

Maybe they can get away with black and white depending on other teams, but purple and orange or blue and orange are fair shouts if they choose to go for a somewhat unique look (by NRL standards). If they're really ballsy they'll go for pink or brown.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

View attachment 78533
These look good on paper, but like the Dolphins jerseys, they'd suffer from an overabundance of gold if they were ever physically produced.

The 'old gold' in those jerseys will look like mustard unless metallics are put into the materials to make it shine (which is difficult to do with the form fitting material used for rugby jerseys these days, and another issue the Dolphins have had with their gold BTW), and they'd look over the top gaudy if they were metallic.

In other words they'd end up looking something like this-

1692975261949.jpeg
images

or this-
1692975346762.jpeg1692975382301.jpeg

I don't think you're going for the dull mustard look (at least I hope you're not lol), and the shiny gold look is okay for a Las Vegas Golden Knights alternate that's used sparingly, but Perth probably isn't going to be able pull it off as their main brand.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
Smarter people with a lot more experience and knowledge of these kinda things than I can work out how to achieve the best possible results, should they choose to go down my suggestion path..!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Smarter people with a lot more experience and knowledge of these kinda things than I can work out how to achieve the best possible results, should they choose to go down my suggestion path..!
The best possible result looks something like that Golden Knights jersey or an obscure third kit from soccer, and I can't see that sticking from a branding perspective.

Perth Red

Post Whore
These look good on paper, but like the Dolphins jerseys, they'd suffer from an overabundance of gold if they were ever physically produced.

The 'old gold' in those jerseys will look like mustard unless metallics are put into the materials to make it shine (which is difficult to do with the form fitting material used for rugby jerseys these days, and another issue the Dolphins have had with their gold BTW), and they'd look over the top gaudy if they were metallic.

In other words they'd end up looking something like this-

View attachment 78534
images

or this-
View attachment 78535View attachment 78536

I don't think you're going for the dull mustard look (at least I hope you're not lol), and the shiny gold look is okay for a Las Vegas Golden Knights alternate that's used sparingly, but Perth probably isn't going to be able pull it off as their main brand.
Yeh have to agree, block gold rarely looks good, mainly black, with yellow or or gold and dash of scarlet red if we are the pirates, screw dolphins. Or black and silver With dash’s of red or yellow.

red, black, dash of yellow if we end up bears

anything but blue and white if we end up jets

green silver and black if we end up with something totally different.

Colk

First Grade
Yeh have to agree, block gold rarely looks good, mainly black, with yellow or or gold and dash of scarlet red if we are the pirates, screw dolphins. Or black and silver With dash’s of red or yellow.

red, black, dash of yellow if we end up bears

anything but blue and white if we end up jets

green silver and black if we end up with something totally different.

1693036777245.jpeg

What’s wrong with this? It looks fine to me.

The other option is like a red dust colour.

Colk

First Grade
M

id say that’s yellow not gold

Fair enough with gold, I would probably agree. However yellow and black is a great combination and you’re saying that you don’t like it either.

If you try and use red, it’s no longer unique.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair enough with gold, I would probably agree. However yellow and black is a great combination and you’re saying that you don’t like it either.

If you try and use red, it’s no longer unique.
I don’t mind yellow and black for a club, it’s unique in nrl. Just my personal preference, how much yellow clothing do you have in your wardrobe?
May seem a strange decision point but merch sales can be a major source of revenue, but not if you pick a colour people don’t want to wear. LiKew ise if we use black athe main colour, it’s bloody hot in perth most of the year and wearing black polos or tshirts is not the done thing. Having said that at this point if we get a club they can wear yellow with pink and purple dots for all Id care lol.

Colk

First Grade
I don’t mind yellow and black for a club, it’s unique in nrl. Just my personal preference, how much yellow clothing do you have in your wardrobe?
May seem a strange decision point but merch sales can be a major source of revenue, but not if you pick a colour people don’t want to wear. LiKew ise if we use black athe main colour, it’s bloody hot in perth most of the year and wearing black polos or tshirts is not the done thing. Having said that at this point if we get a club they can wear yellow with pink and purple dots for all Id care lol.

I get what you’re saying but I think if you get to 20 sides and even 18, it will become more and more harder to find a distinctive colour palette.

For instance if black works and sells well for the Dolphins then that makes it difficult to use red and/or black for Perth and PNG; at least for it to be unique within the NRL.

So I guess it becomes a decision: do PNG and Perth use red if they get in (if they both get in then that decision is even harder) or do they try and find another colour and be distinctive?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get what you’re saying but I think if you get to 20 sides and even 18, it will become more and more harder to find a distinctive colour palette.

For instance if black works and sells well for the Dolphins then that makes it difficult to use red and/or black for Perth and PNG; at least for it to be unique within the NRL.

So I guess it becomes a decision: do PNG and Perth use red if they get in (if they both get in then that decision is even harder) or do they try and find another colour and be distinctive?
Yeh agree, personalky I’d go with it, dolphins can go back to red and white or change to red and grey if they have a problem with it. Changing the gold to yellow is probably enough especially if dolphins stick with predominantly red as main colour and pirates or png go with predominantly black. It’s not like we don’t have a plethora of clubs in nrl using blue and white in their kits or red and white in SL.

jim_57

Staff member

Red & Yellow would be a good colour combo, no black needed, maybe white for trim or alternate kits. That or PNG could go with something totally unique to the national team. PNG Hunters & Port Moresby Viper would both be playing in the same city with Red, Yellow & Black as well.