What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

MugaB

Coach
What’s the relevance of the Force… we are talking about a successful sporting competition here with several other options for expansion … the Perth NRL bid is competing with other bids … the Force had a walk up start into that 2nd rate comp…

PVL loves money… so if you don’t want to show him the green then enjoy the wait
PVL doesn't love money, he loves getting something for nothing... saving money... buy him a team plane, or get him a whole heap of talented juniors to spread across the other clubs, useful shit... and he'll be knocking on your door, ...not you on his

money he can get from gambling, leagues clubs and sponsorships... money is worthless for these expansion bids

BuffaloRules

Coach
PVL doesn't love money, he loves getting something for nothing... saving money... buy him a team plane, or get him a whole heap of talented juniors to spread across the other clubs, useful shit... and he'll be knocking on your door, ...not you on his

money he can get from gambling, leagues clubs and sponsorships... money is worthless for these expansion bids

But the only way PNG is being considered is because of the money

mongoose

Coach
Perth will be competing with 16 NRL clubs from eastern Australia for talent that's produced in eastern Australia. That's much harder than the Dolphins competing with the Broncos in Brisbane.

Gilbert left the Cowboys for the Dolphins because he wanted to be close to home.

A Perth-based team will only attract unwanted players. The only marquees they will get are hasbeens on inflated contracts.

I know what the clubs are generating. I've read the annual reports. I made a post about it last year.

A Perth-based team will need to spend like the Melbourne Storm to carve out a niche in a hostile fumbleball market. If it operates on a small budget then it will end up like the Melbourne Rebels. Spin it all you like, but the Storm spent more than every club bar the Broncos to carve out a niche in Melbourne. You've deluded yourself into thinking a Perth-based team can operate on Cronulla's budget and still draw similar support to the Storm.

Lack of juniors and tyranny of distance will work against a Perth-based team in the player market. It'll have to pay overs to lure players west.

Touch football isn't rugby league.

Western Australia only has 4k players competing in rugby league competitions.

Soccer and netball aren't dangerous contact sports like rugby league.

Perth won't have pokies to bail them out. If they're not making enough from football operations then they'll end up like the Titans.

I brought it up because you're always going on about the Eagles being the biggest club in the country. The ratings don't support your claim.

If the Eagles are so well supported then why are do their games draw lower ratings in Perth than NRL games in Brisbane that don't feature Queensland teams?

You do realise that Brisbane (15,842 km2) is more than twice the size of Perth (6,417.9 km2), right?

Not everyone can get to Lang Park.

They've got a large fanbase in SEQ. That's something a Perth-based team will never have.

some doozies here...

touch footy isn't League? what is it then?

Perth shouldn't have a team because it doesn't have pokies

The West Coast Eagles are not well supported lol

The f**k does the size of the Brisbane LGA compared to Perth LGA have to do with anything? Brisbane LGA covers a lot of outer suburbs whereas Perth LGA is mainly just the CBD and inner suburbs.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
But the only way PNG is being considered is because of the money
Its not real money tho is it, its not like they can use it to buy more assets and spread it around the clubs, as they do with the broadcast money.... its a write off, thats not the same thing

Canard

Immortal
You have to be a cooked unit to believe that the West Coast Eagles aren't one of the biggest, if not the biggest, supported sports organisations in the country.

Bukowski

Juniors
some doozies here...

The f**k does the size of the Brisbane LGA compared to Perth LGA have to do with anything? Brisbane LGA covers a lot of outer suburbs whereas Perth LGA is mainly just the CBD and inner suburbs.
He's on fire this morning. Raging

Bukowski

Juniors
Whose said any of those things?

ina 20k capacity stadium it’d be something special to avg 25k crowds lol

no one has said rl is enormous in perth, never will be, doesn’t have to be.

but yes I do believe the majority of people that watch nrl watch it on fox or kayo here.
No one said this things. He's making shit up, again. He's a boring that.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Its not real money tho is it, its not like they can use it to buy more assets and spread it around the clubs, as they do with the broadcast money.... its a write off, thats not the same thing

I dont think it’s enough … but the Govt money gets them a free team for 10 years … supposedly …

Canard

Immortal
Its reductive thinking to expect a region, that has been ignored by the ARLC for decades to have 30,000 juniors, have ratings of 150,000 per game, and be a passionate RL area.

Surely the point of expansion, is to aim for this sort of thing, not start with it from Day 1.

mongoose

Coach
Its reductive thinking to expect a region, that has been ignored by the ARLC for decades to have 30,000 juniors, have ratings of 150,000 per game, and be a passionate RL area.

Surely the point of expansion, is to aim for this sort of thing, not start with it from Day 1.
yeah its a strange mentality to have... like expecting a girl in a bar to go home with you when you didn't pay her any attention or strike up a conversation.

MugaB

Coach

So are you saying PNGs santos stadium will become something bigger and better later on, not from day 1? How about when those juniors start getting contracts at other NRL clubs will that be day 1 too..

Strange indeed

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have to be a cooked unit to believe that the West Coast Eagles aren't one of the biggest, if not the biggest, supported sports organisations in the country.
Hes literally scrambling around making himself look stupid to try and justify why he doesnt want perth in lol. Touch isnt a form of rugby league? Eagles arent a bigger club than Broncos? Most Clubs havent significantly increased their crowds compared to 1997? That'll do me lol

some doozies here...

Quite a few strawman arguments on your behalf.

It's touch football.

In many parts of the world it is affiliated with rugby union.

It's definitely a disadvantage to not have gambling revenue. Melbourne Storm used them before they were sold by News Ltd.

Reread what I said.

I wasn't comparing the Brisbane and Perth Government Areas you moron. I was comparing the metropolitan areas of Brisbane and Perth.

MugaB

Coach
Ahh that's the one... yeah, 10 years and theeeeeen???
And No and then!!!.... sink or swim, the bears are always knocking, i wouldn't worry about these pet projects to cozy upto the PM, as long as we get these pathways built, the rest can fall apart, wont cost them a cent to transfer a licence over to another bidder, PR keep crapping on about the oily rag that their handful of WA scouts are given, would it be nice to see a something built, then feed it money, instead of the other way round, we all talk about putting funds into grassroots, but its not doing anything other than helping the rural teams stay afloat to play reserve grade or park footy, when the NRL is a business, it wants a real tangible return of that money it puts into grassroots, its why all the clubs are only now starting up their own reserve grade teams, development HAS to be done by the Clubs, it was too reliant on only a handful of clubs and cup sides to do it, and i dont care what PR says about its the ARLCs charter, thats not conducive, and it hasn't yielded the amount of juniors that a club like Penrith Souths or Wests does on their own, simply because the clubs invest and have a killer instinct to want to win, whether they do is another question, but every club has that want.. as opposed to handing or gifting out some cash to random league comps all over the country, then never seeing a return, except for more handouts

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
And No and then!!!.... sink or swim, the bears are always knocking, i wouldn't worry about these pet projects to cozy upto the PM, as long as we get these pathways built, the rest can fall apart, wont cost them a cent to transfer a licence over to another bidder, PR keep crapping on about the oily rag that their handful of WA scouts are given, would it be nice to see a something built, then feed it money, instead of the other way round, we all talk about putting funds into grassroots, but its not doing anything other than helping the rural teams stay afloat to play reserve grade or park footy, when the NRL is a business, it wants a real tangible return of that money it puts into grassroots, its why all the clubs are only now starting up their own reserve grade teams, development HAS to be done by the Clubs, it was too reliant on only a handful of clubs and cup sides to do it, and i dont care what PR says about its the ARLCs charter, thats not conducive, and it hasn't yielded the amount of juniors that a club like Penrith Souths or Wests does on their own, simply because the clubs invest and have a killer instinct to want to win, whether they do is another question, but every club has that want.. as opposed to handing or gifting out some cash to random league comps all over the country, then never seeing a return, except for more handouts
The ARLC's mandate is to support and fund the game at all levels across Australia. Its literally why they exist. There's more to rugby league than just NRL. The big problem with it being reliant on the clubs is what about the areas that dont have a club? You are literally confining it to limited geographical areas if you put sole responsibility for jnr participation at the feet of NRL clubs. Thankfully even the ARLC isnt that dumb.

I cant people believe some people dont understand the difference between participation in a sport and elite pathways development for the top tier in a sport. They are two very different things.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quite a few strawman arguments on your behalf.

It's touch football.

In many parts of the world it is affiliated with rugby union.

It's definitely a disadvantage to not have gambling revenue. Melbourne Storm used them before they were sold by News Ltd.

Reread what I said.

I wasn't comparing the Brisbane and Perth Government Areas you moron. I was comparing the metropolitan areas of Brisbane and Perth.
Haha doubling down on your stupidity. Touch football is variant of RL. It was started by RL, it has PoTB, it has six tackle sets . Holy moly you are way stretching on this one. Its literally called "NRL Touch Football" lol

1698202921522.png