What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

MugaB

Coach
The ARLC's mandate is to support and funn the game at all levels across Australia. Its literally why they exist..

I cant people believe some people dont understand the difference between participation in a sport and elite pathways development for the top tier in a sport. They are two very different things.
All Bullshit!!
Grassroots funding is another form of hand out, yes its nessesary, but not at the amount you wish you had it at... elite pathways are a must, without them this sport dies, the clubs run them, you want an NRL club in your local area? Get your WA govt to fund a leagues club or grassroots and build an elite comp, then they'll come, otherwise continue being part of the participating park footy crew...

..And heres where you post that dumb pic with a kid standing on a fkn crate

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its reductive thinking to expect a region, that has been ignored by the ARLC for decades to have 30,000 juniors, have ratings of 150,000 per game, and be a passionate RL area.

Surely the point of expansion, is to aim for this sort of thing, not start with it from Day 1.
Yep dumbest argument ever. From day 1 it needs to be sustainable, and I have no doubts there is enough interest in NRL in WA for that to happen. Do it well and the club and the game here could be anything over the next 20 years.

Touch isnt a form of rugby league?

Touch football is a distinct sport that originated from rugby league. Calling it rugby league is as daft as saying rugby league is rugby union because of its origin.

In England it is promoted by the RFU and RFL under the name "Touch Rugby".

Up until a few years ago the ARLC and Touch Australia weren't affiliated.

Eagles arent a bigger club than Broncos?

Reread what I said and knock off the strawman. You sound as dumb and desperate as the illiterate simpleton from Cairns.

Eagles make more money from game day because they have more supporters attending games.

Broncos are watched by twice as many people on television.

Not all supporters can attend games. It doesn't mean they're not supporters.

You've been arguing that TV viewing figures in Perth for Origin and the GF are indicative of a large active RL supporter base. Now you're dismissing television ratings because they aren't favourable to your argument.

So television aren't important anymore?

Most Clubs havent significantly increased their crowds compared to 1997?

I never said anything of the sort. I pointed out that the Broncos have grown since the introduction of the Titans and Dolphins. People on here predicted the new clubs would weaken them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bullshit!!
Grassroots funding is another form of hand out, yes its nessesary, but not at the amount you wish you had it at... elite pathways are a must, without them this sport dies, the clubs run them, you want an NRL club in your local area? Get your WA govt to fund a leagues club or grassroots and build an elite comp, then they'll come, otherwise continue being part of the participating park footy crew
Strawman alert, no one said elite pathways arent importantfor the top tier, and they are the responsibilty of the 17 NRL clubs . But equally important is the funding to have a vibrant and growing grass roots scene for the game beyond just producing 600 players for the NRL. Its not a 'hand out' its an investment in the health of the game. Same way as the NRL grant to clubs isnt a hand out, its an investment in the strength of the clubs.

Why would a govt fund an elite competition? Can you name me one anywhere in word that does?
WA govt does contribute to grassroots through its healthy options sponsorship of NRLWA.

mongoose

Coach
I wasn't comparing the Brisbane and Perth Government Areas you moron. I was comparing the metropolitan areas of Brisbane and Perth.
You're trying to make the point that Brisbane is more spread out and therefore its harder for people to get to Suncorp? well it isn't. Perth is actually more spread out from North to South and has less density than Brisbane, especially in the inner city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Touch football is a distinct sport that originated from rugby league. Calling it rugby league is as daft as saying rugby league is rugby union because of its origin.

In England it is promoted by the RFU and RFL under the name "Touch Rugby".

Up until a few years ago the ARLC and Touch Australia weren't affiliated.

Reread what I said and knock off the strawman. You sound as dumb and desperate as the illiterate simpleton from Cairns.

Eagles make more money from game day because they have more supporters attending games.

Broncos are watched by twice as many people on television.

Not all supporters can attend games. It doesn't mean they're not supporters.

You've been arguing that TV viewing figures in Perth for Origin and the GF are indicative of a large active RL supporter base. Now you're dismissing television ratings because they aren't favourable to your argument.

So television aren't important anymore?

I never said anything of the sort. I pointed out that the Broncos have grown since the introduction of the Titans and Dolphins. People on here predicted the new clubs would weaken them.
Sure, like nines isnt a format of RL, or 7's a format of Union, or 20/20 a format of cricket lol. RL's stupidity in not owning touch from the get go isnt the same as touch not being a variant of RL. And sure if League had kept the fundamental Union rules then Id agree, but we havent and are a very different sport now, all be it we are both variants of the original "rugby" from the 1800's.

Eagles beat Broncos in every metric bar one. Its the dumbest of dumb to suggest Broncos are a bigger club than Eagles. And Broncos have had the advantage of being the only team in town for decades and a state population 2.5 times the size of WA..

I've argued that there are 30-40k active RL fans in WA. 100k watching RL on FTA is just one metric of proof along with 34k playing RL variants and 40-60k going to RL games here.

MugaB

Coach
Strawman alert, no one said elite pathways arent importantfor the top tier, and they are the responsibilty of the 17 NRL clubs . But equally important is the funding to have a vibrant and growing grass roots scene for the game beyond just producing 600 players for the NRL. Its not a 'hand out' its an investment in the health of the game. Same way as the NRL grant to clubs isnt a hand out, its an investment in the strength of the clubs.

Why would a govt fund an elite competition? Can you name me one anywhere in word that does?
WA govt does contribute to grassroots through its healthy options sponsorship of NRLWA.
So how is it that your players aren't upto the east coast standards then, if they are getting govt sponsorships,
2ndly your govt wont let pokie dens exist in WA, so each of your clubs dont have a chance to fund themselves into creating any elite players, or any form of pathway, you talk about elite programs, but no one is doing shit on their own to create any... players need to leave WA to get a shot at professional development or training, its not going just exist, just coz the ARLC are mandated to look after them... you dont really have any to look after, you get them built and they come in and fund it

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're trying to make the point that Brisbane is more spread out and therefore its harder for people to get to Suncorp? well it isn't. Perth is actually more spread out from North to South and has less density than Brisbane, especially in the inner city.
Yeh Perth runs about 150kms north to south. Brisbane around 100kms. We just dont go very far inland as everyone wants to live near the beach lol

Haha doubling down on your stupidity. Touch football is variant of RL. It was started by RL, it has PoTB, it has six tackle sets . Holy moly you are way stretching on this one. Its literally called "NRL Touch Football" lol

View attachment 81158

Reread what I said. I don't doubt touch football is a variant of rugby league. It's also a distinct sport that appeals to a different type of athlete. There are no scrums or kicking in Touch. If the ball hits the ground it's an automatic turnover. The PtB doesn't isn't the same. In Touch the ball is placed on the spot. In rugby league it is played backwards with the foot. A try in Touch is worth one point.

Touch football and the NRL weren't affiliated under the same banner until 2013.

The only reason you're lumping Touch with RL is so you can say Perth has 34k "participants". Only 4k of those "participants" play rugby league.

MugaB

Coach
Funding Grass Roots is a "handout"

f**k me, some people are cooked AF
Well its become one... the game was never professional before yet we've had clubs and comp all around Australia, all of a sudden game is professional since the NRL era, maybe just before then and clubs are needing fulltime staff to run leagues clubs, for what? ..park footy

Perth Red

Post Whore
So how is it that your players aren't upto the east coast standards then, if they are getting govt sponsorships,
2ndly your govt wont let pokie dens exist in WA, so each of your clubs dont have a chance to fund themselves into creating any elite players, or any form of pathway, you talk about elite programs, but no one is doing shit on their own to create any... players need to leave WA to get a shot at professional development or traning, its not going just exist, just coz the ARLC are mandated to look after them... you dont really have any to look after, you get them built and they come in and fund it
By the simple fact there is no elite pathway or NRL club to fund it and the best kids go east at 16. Its a simple equation when it come to producing NRL talent.
Number of jnr particpants + elite training opportunity + elite training quality + luck = NRL first graders

All players move around. Dolphins signed 34 players from other NRL clubs for years1 and continue to sign established NRl players for yr 2-5, and they have one of the best jnr set ups in the world.
It will take time and money for WA but there is a commitment to do it right and a strong enough jnr foundation to make that start. Like other clubs there will also be partnerships with east coast clubs for east coast jnr development into a WA clubs pathways.

And Im glad theres no pokie dens here, that amount of social misery creation is not offset by a long way by having stronger sports clubs. WA is smart, and lucky it gets billions in mining royalties so doesnt need pokies to fund the govt like other states.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reread what I said. I don't doubt touch football is a variant of rugby league. It's also a distinct sport that appeals to a different type of athlete. There are no scrums or kicking in Touch. If the ball hits the ground it's an automatic turnover. The PtB doesn't isn't the same. In Touch the ball is placed on the spot. In rugby league it is played backwards with the foot. A try in Touch is worth one point.

The only reason you're lumping Touch with RL is so you can say Perth has 34k "participants". Only 4k of those "participants" play rugby league.
Touch footy is a form of RL. You're literally the only person on here who doesnt think so lol.
Harmony nines this weekend, are they playing RL or not? Id better go tell them before they get started.

mongoose

Coach

there is kicking in TRL i think or some version of touch....

scrums? who cares, there are barely scrums in 13 man tackle League.

I've also played touch where the ball is played backwards under the foot. Touch is clearly a variant of Rugby League, definitely more so than Union

You're trying to make the point that Brisbane is more spread out and therefore its harder for people to get to Suncorp? well it isn't.

Perth is actually more spread out from North to South and has less density than Brisbane, especially in the inner city.

Wrong on both accounts dickhead.

Brisbane's area is 15,842 km2 with a population density of 159/km2.

Perth's area is 6,418 km2 with a population density of 341.5804/km.

You need to brush up on your geography.

there is kicking in TRL i think or some version of touch....

Touch Rugby League was invented in Logan.

scrums? who cares, there are barely scrums in 13 man tackle League.

Now you're just ignoring any fact that doesn't support your position.

Rugby league has scrums. Touch doesn't.

I've also played touch where the ball is played backwards under the foot.

The official codified version of Touch doesn't.

Touch is clearly a variant of Rugby League, definitely more so than Union

It began as a variant and morphed enough to become a distinct sport. There's also form of Touch that simulates a rugby union ruck.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It doesn't change the fact Brisbane is almost two and a half times greater in size with a lower population density.

There's room for Brisbane to grow. Perth is pretty much at its limit. I know which city I'd be investing in.
eh? we are literally the city that has more land mass to grow into than any other, probably in the world! Have you seen how empty WA is?

A for population growth. predictions remain that we will be around 3.5mill in 20 years, sadly. I miss the quiet 'rush hour' roads! WA's population in the '21 census was 2.7million.

The ABS data has confirmed WA has the nation’s highest population growth rate at 2.3 per cent, compared to a national average of 1.9 per cent.
But what this new data also shows is that WA’s population is even bigger than what experts thought.
Overall, there are approximately 50,000 more people living in WA than forecast and the new data shows the number of people who moved to WA during the COVID period was higher than previously estimated.

What all this means is that WA is growing, it is growing larger than projected and the growth has come quickly.

mongoose

Coach
Wrong on both accounts dickhead.

Brisbane's area is 15,842 km2 with a population density of 159/km2.

Perth's area is 6,418 km2 with a population density of 341.5804/km.

You need to brush up on your geography.
and what is your point? if you think most Brisbane residents live out in the sticks far away from Suncorp you are an idiot, simple as that. Get out more.