What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Canard

Immortal
Perth's biggest problem is it's two hours behind the east coast and has a tiny supporter base. The Eagles and Dockers generated 74k and 69k on Ch7 in Perth this year. Games not featuring Eagles or Dockers generated just 45k. That's terrible.

Broncos generated 170k in Brisbane on Ch9. Cowboys and Titans generated 131k. Dolphins generated 126k. Games not featuring Queensland teams generated 98k in Brisbane. It's why Ch9 publicly stated they want another team in Brisbane. There's more money to be made from Brisbane 3 than Perth.
Thankfully Ch9 three games a week mean they aren't in much position to demand anything, especially if we go to 9 games a round.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thankfully Ch9 three games a week mean they aren't in much position to demand anything, especially if we go to 9 games a round.
Fta pays a minor or part of the deal, and last deal offered zero increase. I wouldn’t be basing the future growth of the game in what ch9 want or don’t want.

our 2 hours time difference makes us THE perfect candidate for the sunday 6pm game. Big crowds, day time rl, good audiences in east. Sorted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ARLC isn't required to recklessly spend money on pissant markets that don't show much demand for the game. Perth already gets more money than smaller markets like Adelaide. What Perth gets is based on how much demand there is for the game.

If it's not as strong as Queensland and NSW then a Perth-based NRL team will need to field its lower division teams in the NSW or Qld competitions. No point wasting money on the Perth competitions if they will never be strong enough to prop up an NRL team.

Adding a team in Melbourne that has been on a golden run hasn't done much for junior RL in Victoria. There's no reason to think things will be any better for the game in Perth.

You just admitted that RL will never be as strong in Perth as it is in Brisbane and Sydney. Players will need to relocate to the east coast to develop their skills against Queenslanders and New South Welshmen.

Why waste money on a pissant market that doesn't have the infrastructure to produce a regular supply of quality NRL players?
parachuting a club in in isolation of grassroots growth strategy is incredibly dumb.
Perth isn’t melbourne. It has always had a much stronger footprint for RL. It comes as no surprise now the storm, arlc and Vic govt are final,y working together j rs in Vic are growing significantly in men’s and women’s game. .shame it’s taken 25 years!

10k registered payers in a city half its current size, there’s the opportunity for rugby league right there.

Fta pays a minor or part of the deal, and last deal offered zero increase. I wouldn’t be basing the future growth of the game in what ch9 want or don’t want.

Ch9 lost four Broncos games. It's why they didn't pay extra. This has been pointed out to you by me and Wookie.

You ignore any fact that doesn't fit your agenda.

our 2 hours time difference makes us THE perfect candidate for the sunday 6pm game. Big crowds, day time rl, good audiences in east. Sorted.

Big crowds?

The club will be lucky to draw 15k at Perth Rectangular Stadium. Clubs on the east coast will have no trouble getting something similar. If they can get that on a Thursday night at 8pm then 6pm on Sunday will be fine.

Playing all 12 home games in the 6pm Sun AEST will mean none are broadcast on FTA. Sponsors will pay less for signage.

parachuting a club in in isolation of grassroots growth strategy is incredibly dumb.
Perth isn’t melbourne. It has always had a much stronger footprint for RL. It comes as no surprise now the storm, arlc and Vic govt are final,y working together j rs in Vic are growing significantly in men’s and women’s game. .shame it’s taken 25 years!

10k registered payers in a city half its current size, there’s the opportunity for rugby league right there.

Do you have any evidence that Perth had 10k players in 1995?

You're a proven liar. I won't believe the 10k figure unless you can substantiate it.

One thing I do agree with is "Perth isn't Melbourne". It's why News Ltd axed the Reds and brought in the Storm. The shit TV ratings in Perth for fumbleball and rugby league justify their decision.

4k registered RL players in WA says it all. Fumbleball has 20-25k across Queensland.

mongoose

Coach

You're a proven liar. I won't believe the 10k figure unless you can substantiate it.

One thing I do agree with is "Perth isn't Melbourne". It's why News Ltd axed the Reds and brought in the Storm. The shit TV ratings in Perth for fumbleball and rugby league justify their decision.

4k registered RL players in WA says it all. Fumbleball has 20-25k across Queensland.
They axed the crushers and chargers too. I guess News ltd knew SEQLD was only worth having 1 team....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch9 lost four Broncos games. It's why they didn't pay extra. This has been pointed out to you by me and Wookie.

You ignore any fact that doesn't fit your agenda.

Big crowds?

The club will be lucky to draw 15k at Perth Rectangular Stadium. Clubs on the east coast will have no trouble getting something similar. If they can get that on a Thursday night at 8pm then 6pm on Sunday will be fine.

Playing all 12 home games in the 6pm Sun AEST will mean none are broadcast on FTA. Sponsors will pay less for signage.
And gained how many dolphins games? Or are they not of any value to ch9?

huge crowds, hbf won’t be big enough Lol.

ah that old chestnut re sponsors again. That’s ok all our away games can be on ch9, loads of covg then lol
how many cowboys home games are on fta a year? They have one og the biggest sponsorship portfolios in nrl. Being a supposed cowboys fan I’d have thought you’d know that?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Only those who were involved in the game at the time and the current nrlwa gm lol

"Back in the days of the Reds there was over 10,000 registered players in Western Australia but with the exit of the Reds from the landscape here back around 2010 we were below 2,000 in registration numbers.

I really dont give a sht what you do or dont believe, you’re a proven idiot.

haha so what you’re saying is afl invested in queensland and got bigger tv audiences and massive growth in participation. Great, nrl just need to do the Same in wa. Thanks for your evidence backing our case for admission and investment lol.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brilliant weekend for rugby league out west last weekend with over 5000 players taking part in the harmony nines. WA premier and NRL bid advocate Roger Cook on hand to kick off proceedings

IMG_1570.jpeg

They axed the crushers and chargers too. I guess News ltd knew SEQLD was only worth having 1 team....

News Ltd were looking out for the Broncos and Storm.

Support for the game nosedived when News Ltd axed the Crushers and Chargers. Hence the reason we now have the Titans and Dolphins.

Convenient. So your theory, “perth will only support winning clubs” is bs, thought so.

Nope. I always said Perth is a rusted on fumbleball state. V'landys pointed that out in 2020. You spat the dummy because he dared to say what everyone in the country knows.

The Glory and Force aren't well supported in Perth. Neither club has been dominant on the pitch.

Wildcats went 35 years before they missed the finals. Scorchers have won 5 of the BBL's 12 titles.

Do you see the pattern?

And gained how many dolphins games? Or are they not of any value to ch9?

huge crowds, hbf won’t be big enough Lol.

ah that old chestnut re sponsors again. That’s ok all our away games can be on ch9, loads of covg then lol
how many cowboys home games are on fta a year? They have one og the biggest sponsorship portfolios in nrl. Being a supposed cowboys fan I’d have thought you’d know that?

Why are you comparing Perth with Cowboys?

The Cowboys are the only major professional sports club in Townsville. The nearest competitor in FNQ is a basketball club based out of Cairns. Rugby league is by far the most popular sport in NQ. The local media in NQ provide the Cowboys with saturation coverage. Sponsors saddle up because they know how much the club means to people from Mackay and up.

Rugby league is a minority sport in Perth. It'll never garner much attention from the Perth media. In Perth it's Eagles first. Dockers second. Daylight third.

Bukowski

Juniors
Nope. I always said Perth is a rusted on fumbleball state. V'landys pointed that out in 2020. You spat the dummy because he dared to say what everyone in the country knows.

The Glory and Force aren't well supported in Perth. Neither club has been dominant on the pitch.

Wildcats went 35 years before they missed the finals. Scorchers have won 5 of the BBL's 12 titles.

Do you see the pattern?
Well have a look at the wildcats expert . When did they change their name from the Heat?

Only those who were involved in the game at the time and the current nrlwa gm lol

"Back in the days of the Reds there was over 10,000 registered players in Western Australia but with the exit of the Reds from the landscape here back around 2010 we were below 2,000 in registration numbers.

I really dont give a sht what you do or dont believe, you’re a proven idiot.

haha so what you’re saying is afl invested in queensland and got bigger tv audiences and massive growth in participation. Great, nrl just need to do the Same in wa. Thanks for your evidence backing our case for admission and investment lol.

The soapdodger is too dumb to realise there's been a high amount of interstate migration from Victoria to Queensland over the last 40 years. Especially in SEQ.

Good luck getting the ARLC to spend tens of millions on grassroots RL in Perth over the next 30 YEARS. AwFuL provides money to schools throughout the state to build fumbleball fields. At one stage -- around 2010 or 2011 -- they were giving juniors a free pair of boots and dirt cheap registration fees. The AusKick program is promoted and established at a wide range of schools. Rugby league has trouble matching what they offer in Queensland and NSW. It's insane to think the ARLC is going to invest heavily in Perth when junior RL in Queensland and NSW operates on a strict budget.

Bukowski

Juniors
The soapdodger is too dumb to realise there's been a high amount of interstate migration from Victoria to Queensland over the last 40 years. Especially in SEQ.

Good luck getting the ARLC to spend tens of millions on grassroots RL in Perth over the next 30 YEARS. AwFuL provides money to schools throughout the state to build fumbleball fields. At one stage -- around 2010 or 2011 -- they were giving juniors a free pair of boots and dirt cheap registration fees. The AusKick program is promoted and established at a wide range of schools. Rugby league has trouble matching what they offer in Queensland and NSW. It's insane to think the ARLC is going to invest heavily in Perth when junior RL in Queensland and NSW operates on a strict budget.
Why is league having trouble matching the AFL in Qld and NSW? Why do we have a strict budget in the heartland states?
Youoouur deathriding of the code is getting a bit ridiculous and boring.

Well have a look at the wildcats expert . When did they change their name from the Heat?

What the f**k are you on about?

I pointed out that the Wildcats made the finals for 35 years in a row. It's easy for a team to build a supporter base when it's had 35 years of sustained success. Good luck getting a Perth-based NRL club to have that sort of success from day one!

The costs of operating an NRL club are light years ahead of what is needed to be dominant in the NBL. Perth Wildcats have been playing out of great arenas since the 1990s. A Perth-based NRL club will be playing out of a shithole.