What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Your ignorance again, the only actual affiliate states are nsw and queensland. The rest are not affiliates, they are actually part of the arlc lol

You're playing BS semantics because you don't have an actual argument.

I just saw an article from 2015 about Perth not having the money or players to field a reserve grade team in Shane Richardson's Platinum League:

“To take on such a project would be around $1.5 million a year.

“We have to know whether there would be seed funding.

“Would it be administered by NRLWA? And if that was the case then we would need to be resourced adequately.

“Another option could be to see if there was a private consortium interested with a possible vision of using it as a stepping stone to an NRL franchise.

Where would players come from? Would we be a feeder club? What would the model be and what would be the expectations?

The Perth business community cannot find $1.5m to run a reserve grade team.

How the f**k will it find $25m to run an NRL team?

it funds states outside of nsw and queensland a pittance and the outcome of that is clear for all to see. You reap what you sow .

You've not provided any evidence that the game's low profile outside of NSW and Queensland is due to a scarcity in funding.

I'll ask you again.

What do you want the ARLC to fund?

What do you think can be achieved from providing more funding to the WARL?

Perth Red

Post Whore
1. development officers
2. increasing the schools scholarship program
3. improving coaching and facilities of grassroots clubs
4. offsetting some of the costs to play like insurance and kit so rl is more affordable than other sports
5. Sg ball side
6 nrl license
just a few things off top of my head more funding could do that would be for the growth of rugby league. It was well proven increased funding leads to increased participation

on the second tier thing, no one, and I mean zero, without a pokies den or a nrl club is running a second tier club. So you’re asking for perth to do something that literally isn’t happening anywhere else in the country.

if you can’t see the difference between getting enough fans and sponsors for second tier club compared to in nrl I really can’t help you!

Last edited:
1. development officers
2. increasing the schools scholarship program
3. improving coaching and facilities of grassroots clubs
4. offsetting some of the costs to play like insurance and kit so rl is more affordable than other sports

9C3D57BC-75C5-46B0-AE6B-74913CA2CA7B.jpegIn 2021 it cost $180 for a junior to play for the Joondalup Giants.

In Brisbane it costs $235 to play rugby league.

In Perth it cost $230 to play fumbleball. Over $500 to play soccer.

Another of your lies exposed.

just five things off top of my head more funding could do that would be for the growth of rugby league

It's cheaper to play RL in Perth than it is to play fumbleball, basketball, soccer, netball. Signing up to play basketball for the Joondalup Lakers will set you back $319.

Seriously, WTF are you whinging about?

on the second tier thing, no one, and I mean zero, without a pokies den or a nrl club is running a second tier club. So you’re asking for perth to do something that literally isn’t happening anywhere else in the country.

Then stiff shit for Perth. They don't have pokie dens over there. Take it up with the WA Gov.

It was well proven increased funding leads to increased participation

Soccer isn't well funded in Australia. Its participation rate shits all over RL.

RU isn't particularly well funded in Australia. Compared to RL, there's three times as many people in Perth playing RU.

Registration fees for RL in Perth are lower than soccer, fumbleball, basketball and netball.

5. Sg ball side
6 nrl license

You want the ARLC to provide additional funding for a Perth-based SG Ball and NRL team?

The Dolphins had to provide an upfront guarantee of $50m to prove their viability.

The new club will be required to have a $10 million bank guarantee per annum over the next five years to prove it is sustainable, with no additional handouts from head office.

Why the f**k should the ARLC provide a Perth team with an additional $50m over its first five years?

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
First of all, thankyou for all the interest in the Joondalup Giants.

As a recent Club President of the Joondalup Giants (and, prior, a long-time Club Secretary of the Giants), and also someone who's really not interested in all the petty arguing going on in this thread (and certainly not interested in taking sides or getting involved), I feel I can add some solid, grounded opinions on things.

* Rugby League is not the most popular sport in WA. Never will be. Frankly, any aspirations to be so are illogical and the stuff of fairytales. It'd be nice, sure, but it'd take a series of miracles and fortuitous circumstances on top of serious long-term planning to achieve it.
Thing is, we don't need to be #1 in WA. We just need to have a serious place in the sporting market and we're set. WA's a passionate sporting area. It can easily support a team in every major sport in Australia.

To get to that point, even on our way to that fairytale #1 spot (hey, let's dream!), several things need to happen, improve, and continue to improve.

* More development officers. The ones we have are doing an awesome job. They work hard, but more development officers equals more exposure into schools. School programmes work, but more of them would be better. ARLC fund the DO's, so grassroots funding directed this way would be put to great use.

* The other end of the spectrum: an NRL team. It's one thing to get all these kids interested, but if there's no obvious pathway, no local heroes representing where you live on the national stage, it's harder to keep them interested. Especially if, such as in League's case, there's a similar sport that, to outsiders, looks just like ours with a similar name that DOES have a team in the national comp and has direct pathways. Many League kiddies here switch to Union, or play both then choose Union solely in their mid-to-late teens as it's easier to be spotted by their scouts weekly than it is to be seen by NRL club scouts at 'affiliated states' tournaments once a year.
An NRL club with players they can see play in the flesh every 2nd weekend, who they can meet at fan days and signing sessions, and see frequently interviewed on local TV stations will provide those kiddies, plus others, with local heroes (regardless of whether they originally came from WA, over east, or overseas).

Given all the current circumstances here of the above two points, WA has provided more NRL and NRLW players than we probably should have.

* Reduce club fees. How to make a sport more enticing for parents in today's costly environment? Make ours an inexpensive sport. This is where clubs can take the drivers seat. I don't know what other clubs here do or have done, but at Joondalup we have in the past held fundraising events / initiatives to make fees more affordable. It works.

Honestly, there's a good market already here for NRL. Don't worry about the crowd size of the odd Origin or token NRL game here (good as they have been). A real, yet immeasurable, gauge of the NRL's popularity here is in the everyday. I am ALWAYS seeing Warriors logo car window stickers, Souths membership bumper stickers, people wearing Parramatta training shirts, Newcastle shorts, Brisbane hats, Qld hoodies, NSW jerseys, ect. And I'm not talking at League club training sessions or game days, nor am I talking about at sports bars, ect. I'm talking about what I see at the shops or on my drive to work, ect. There's still the odd Western Reds numberplates I see too.

Trust me, NRL in Perth is popular. It's big. It's a pile of dry grass just waiting for a spark to ignite and really take off again.

I remember 30yrs ago the local WA Grand Final was telecast on tv, and the weekly WA First Grade scores were on the Ch9 News. Excitement was everywhere here that a Perth team was joining the national comp. The game here up to and including 1995 was massive. Again, not bigger than aussie rules, but in all seriousness, it was the clear #2 winter sport.
Then the SuperGreed era came along and a lot of the Reds supporters (who had the Reds as their 2nd team) who were primarily supporters of the likes of Norths, Manly, St.George, Parra, Newcastle, ect, walked away from the team who chose to go to SuperLeague, and crowds dropped dramatically in 1996. The NRL chose to sacrifice Perth when the ARL and SL came back together, and the game here nearly died due to the disgust the League community felt for the game. And Union took full advantage of the disillusionment.

Now it's time to reclaim back our lost territory. Union's been shown to be a dud, and I have absolutely zero doubt that with an NRL team here, League will be massive again.

It will happen. Just watch. Build it and they will come.

First of all, thankyou for all the interest in the Joondalup Giants.

As a recent Club President of the Joondalup Giants (and, prior, a long-time Club Secretary of the Giants), and also someone who's really not interested in all the petty arguing going on in this thread (and certainly not interested in taking sides or getting involved), I feel I can add some solid, grounded opinions on things.

* Rugby League is not the most popular sport in WA. Never will be. Frankly, any aspirations to be so are illogical and the stuff of fairytales. It'd be nice, sure, but it'd take a series of miracles and fortuitous circumstances on top of serious long-term planning to achieve it.
Thing is, we don't need to be #1 in WA. We just need to have a serious place in the sporting market and we're set. WA's a passionate sporting area. It can easily support a team in every major sport in Australia.

To get to that point, even on our way to that fairytale #1 spot (hey, let's dream!), several things need to happen, improve, and continue to improve.

* More development officers. The ones we have are doing an awesome job. They work hard, but more development officers equals more exposure into schools. School programmes work, but more of them would be better. ARLC fund the DO's, so grassroots funding directed this way would be put to great use.

* The other end of the spectrum: an NRL team. It's one thing to get all these kids interested, but if there's no obvious pathway, no local heroes representing where you live on the national stage, it's harder to keep them interested. Especially if, such as in League's case, there's a similar sport that, to outsiders, looks just like ours with a similar name that DOES have a team in the national comp and has direct pathways. Many League kiddies here switch to Union, or play both then choose Union solely in their mid-to-late teens as it's easier to be spotted by their scouts weekly than it is to be seen by NRL club scouts at 'affiliated states' tournaments once a year.
An NRL club with players they can see play in the flesh every 2nd weekend, who they can meet at fan days and signing sessions, and see frequently interviewed on local TV stations will provide those kiddies, plus others, with local heroes (regardless of whether they originally came from WA, over east, or overseas).

Given all the current circumstances here of the above two points, WA has provided more NRL and NRLW players than we probably should have.

* Reduce club fees. How to make a sport more enticing for parents in today's costly environment? Make ours an inexpensive sport. This is where clubs can take the drivers seat. I don't know what other clubs here do or have done, but at Joondalup we have in the past held fundraising events / initiatives to make fees more affordable. It works.

Honestly, there's a good market already here for NRL. Don't worry about the crowd size of the odd Origin or token NRL game here (good as they have been). A real, yet immeasurable, gauge of the NRL's popularity here is in the everyday. I am ALWAYS seeing Warriors logo car window stickers, Souths membership bumper stickers, people wearing Parramatta training shirts, Newcastle shorts, Brisbane hats, Qld hoodies, NSW jerseys, ect. And I'm not talking at League club training sessions or game days, nor am I talking about at sports bars, ect. I'm talking about what I see at the shops or on my drive to work, ect. There's still the odd Western Reds numberplates I see too.

Trust me, NRL in Perth is popular. It's big. It's a pile of dry grass just waiting for a spark to ignite and really take off again.

I remember 30yrs ago the local WA Grand Final was telecast on tv, and the weekly WA First Grade scores were on the Ch9 News. Excitement was everywhere here that a Perth team was joining the national comp. The game here up to and including 1995 was massive. Again, not bigger than aussie rules, but in all seriousness, it was the clear #2 winter sport.
Then the SuperGreed era came along and a lot of the Reds supporters (who had the Reds as their 2nd team) who were primarily supporters of the likes of Norths, Manly, St.George, Parra, Newcastle, ect, walked away from the team who chose to go to SuperLeague, and crowds dropped dramatically in 1996. The NRL chose to sacrifice Perth when the ARL and SL came back together, and the game here nearly died due to the disgust the League community felt for the game. And Union took full advantage of the disillusionment.

Now it's time to reclaim back our lost territory. Union's been shown to be a dud, and I have absolutely zero doubt that with an NRL team here, League will be massive again.

It will happen. Just watch. Build it and they will come.

Perth has a history of getting behind teams that are dominant. The Wildcats made 30 consecutive finals series. Scorchers have won more BBL titles than any other club.

But what happens to teams from Perth that are also rans?

The Glory were better supported when they were a powerhouse in the NSL. The Force started off with strong support. Season after season of poor performances saw their support dwindle. It shows what could happen to a Perth-based NRL team that are also-rans every year.

The Reds drew an average of 13,390 fans to the WACA with a very strong team in 1995. That's not very impressive. Cowboys drew averaged over 20,000 with a team that only one 2 games.

MugaB

Coach
They do have a charter that literally say's that!

FromARLC Consitution:

The primary objectives of this company are:
'Foster, develop. extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the Jnr level to the elite levels and generally act in the best interests of the game'
Doesn't say shit specifically about WA, NT, SA or TAS, and since they dont play in the NRL why would they care... its upto any area that want a franchise to bid for one, then they'll be enveloped into this charter...to put it simply, you've done nothing to suggest you worthy a licence over other potential bids that have been entrenched in the game at lower levels for over decades like easts tigers, Png Hunters, or NS bears and many more, who although get funding thru there leagues clubs, govt and broadcaster money and use this to prop themselvesup to run these junior clubs, they continue to strive for aspirations to join as a 1st grade league side, i have yet seen anything from WA to suggest this kind of effort, other than we want a team, coz we are a city and have a bigger population than last time... start small get the pirates back in the fold and get them eventually into nsw cup comp, then an nrl franchise can come knocking if you are producing effort and talent by then

Canard

Immortal
The Reds drew an average of 13,390 fans to the WACA with a very strong team in 1995. That's not very impressive. Cowboys drew averaged over 20,000 with a team that only one 2 games.
This is extreme cherry picking or pure idiocy.

To compare the Reds crowds with RL mad NQ is just off chops.

Regardless, the Reds were still better than more then half the competition!

Canard

Immortal
Doesn't say shit specifically about WA, NT, SA or TAS, and since they dont play in the NRL why would they care... its upto any area that want a franchise to bid for one, then they'll be enveloped into this charter...to put it simply, you've done nothing to suggest you worthy a licence over other potential bids that have been entrenched in the game at lower levels for over decades like easts tigers, Png Hunters, or NS bears and many more, who although get funding thru there leagues clubs, govt and broadcaster money and use this to prop themselvesup to run these junior clubs, they continue to strive for aspirations to join as a 1st grade league side, i have yet seen anything from WA to suggest this kind of effort, other than we want a team, coz we are a city and have a bigger population than last time... start small get the pirates back in the fold and get them eventually into nsw cup comp, then an nrl franchise can come knocking if you are producing effort and talent by then
That's an arse backwards way of doing it, that no other expansion club outside the heartland has ever been required or would do

Colk

First Grade
That's an arse backwards way of doing it, that no other expansion club outside the heartland has ever been required or would do

More importantly that’s the opposite of how any other sport or business operates. I don’t understand how other people think businesses or sports grow: they do it simply by investment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because the ARLC are more than just the NRL. They are, or at least should be, the governing body responsible for Rugby League (yes there is a differnce between NRL as a comp and RL as a game!). They are responsible for growign thegame, for increasing particpation, for making RL the biggest and best sport in Australia it can be. That is their constitution. The are not the NSW or Qlnd RLC. They are The 'A' RLC.

I mean WA and Vic is bad enough but SA, NT and Tassie have it ten times worse and the game is hardly played at all. Oh for an AFL administration with a strong commitment to be the number one football code across all of Australia.

Neither you nor I know how 'Worthy' Perth is for an NRL license. We dont know what Cumins and the WA Govt has on the table.
What I can say is out of all the new market opportunities Perth presents as the strongest RL area to build into a new market in.
Again the decision comes down to do we want to grow the game into new markets or keep consolidating existing markets? If happy to remain largely a two state sport + Auckland then sure lets add Brisbane3 and keep to 18 clubs. it would be the Rugby league thing to do.

Just on your last point, that rug was pulled from under our feet by the ARLC. When the game here was independent, the WARL was an independent board and Sackson was CEO of WARL there was serious plans in place, and a 5 year strategy, for all that you are suggesting should happen. There was businessmen on the board willing to support it. We entered the Jim Beam cup as step one and developed an SG Ball team. The next step was a NSW cup team. Then the ARLC came along took control of the game here, disbanded the board, relegated Sackson to a general manager position and the rest as they say is history. Being totally under the control of the ARLC now there is literally no room to do what you are suggesting unless the ARLC wants it to happen.

Secondly like Ive told you and Donkey there is not the money in second tier Rl in Australia to fund a second tier club independently. Unless you either have pokies, an NRL club, or the Govt (PNG) funding it then it simply isnt viable. The clear proof of this is that there isnt one anywhere!

We can glibly say that some businessman should fork out $1.5mill of his hard earned every year for the fun of it but back in the real world without a sense you are investing for a return (in this case an NRL license) who in their right mind would? (Unless you are a billionaire of course but alas Twiggy is a union fan lol)

Because the ARLC are more than just the NRL. They are, or at least should be, the governing body responsible for Rugby League (yes there is a differnce between NRL as a comp and RL as a game!). They are responsible for growign thegame, for increasing particpation, for making RL the biggest and best sport in Australia it can be. That is their constitution. The are not the NSW or Qlnd RLC. They are The 'A' RLC.

I mean WA and Vic is bad enough but SA, NT and Tassie have it ten times worse and the game is hardly played at all. Oh for an AFL administration with a strong commitment to be the number one football code across all of Australia.

Neither you nor I know how 'Worthy' Perth is for an NRL license. We dont know what Cumins and the WA Govt has on the table.
What I can say is out of all the new market opportunities Perth presents as the strongest RL area to build into a new market in.
Again the decision comes down to do we want to grow the game into new markets or keep consolidating existing markets? If happy to remain largely a two state sport + Auckland then sure lets add Brisbane3 and keep to 18 clubs. it would be the Rugby league thing to do.

Just on your last point, that rug was pulled from under our feet by the ARLC. When the game here was independent, the WARL was an independent board and Sackson was CEO of WARL there was serious plans in place, and a 5 year strategy, for all that you are suggesting should happen. There was businessmen on the board willing to support it. We entered the Jim Beam cup as step one and developed an SG Ball team. The next step was a NSW cup team. Then the ARLC came along took control of the game here, disbanded the board, relegated Sackson to a general manager position and the rest as they say is history. Being totally under the control of the ARLC now there is literally no room to do what you are suggesting unless the ARLC wants it to happen.

Secondly like Ive told you and Donkey there is not the money in second tier Rl in Australia to fund a second tier club independently. Unless you either have pokies, an NRL club, or the Govt (PNG) funding it then it simply isnt viable. The clear proof of this is that there isnt one anywhere!

We can glibly say that some businessman should fork out $1.5mill of his hard earned every year for the fun of it but back in the real world without a sense you are investing for a return (in this case an NRL license) who in their right mind would? (Unless you are a billionaire of course but alas Twiggy is a union fan lol)

The WARL was never in a position to fund a fully professional rugby league competition that could compete with the QRL, NSWRL, RFL, WAFL and VFL. Same goes for the VRL, SARL, NTRL and TRL. It's why the affiliate states were absorbed into the ARLC.

It's delusional to expect the ARLC to allocate more resources into small markets than they can recoup.

On the one hand you justify the WARL and Perth business community for not fielding a team in the NSW Cup because they won't get a return on their investment. On the other hand you expect the ARLC to spend tens of millions of dollars per annum on small markets that will not provide a commensurate return. You're trying to have your cake and eat it.

Deep down you know that the ARLC and NRL clubs source the bulk of their revenue from Brisbane and Sydney. The QRL and NSWRL are entitled to want a fair share of that money to flow into their coffers. The game relies on the QRL and NSWRL to produce the players that draw fans and sponsors to the game.

Don't expect the RLPA to take a pay cut so the ARLC can fund expansion into Adelaide and Perth.

I've seen you advocate the diminution of the Queensland Cup and NSW Cup. You want to replace it with a national reserve grade competition that won't generate any revenue. You'll be killing clubs that generate revenue. It's a very selfish and destructive model that will cause more harm than good.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one’s asking for tens of millions, a couple of million would be a start! WARL had a Strategy for getting perth into nsw cup prior to an nrl License. Who knows if they’d have got there.

What I do know for fact is since arlc took over WA it’s gone backwards. they are now responsible for the game in wa and have a responsibility in taking it Over to grow the game here.

reserve grade is inevitable, it 75% there already. Those nsw and qlnd cup clubs who are not in nrl better be figuring out a second division or face going way of wentie and others into obscurity.

No one’s asking for tens of millions, a couple of million would be a start! WARL had a Strategy for getting perth into nsw cup prior to an nrl License. Who knows if they’d have got there.

What I do know for fact is since arlc took over WA it’s gone backwards. they are now responsible for the game in wa and have a responsibility in taking it Over to grow the game here.

reserve grade is inevitable, it 75% there already. Those nsw and qlnd cup clubs who are not in nrl better be figuring out a second division or face going way of wentie and others into obscurity.

Why should the ARLC waste resources on Perth?

It would make more sense to increase funding to the NZRL, PNGRFL and FRL so they can run more school clinics and competitons. Growing the game in NZ, PNG and Fiji will translate into more players and stronger Test matches.

The amount of money it would take to bring Perth up to the same standard as the QRL and NSWRL would be enormous and take decades. I doubt it's even possible because Queensland and NSW are so far ahead.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why should the ARLC waste resources on Perth?

It would make more sense to increase funding to the NZRL, PNGRFL and FRL so they can run more school clinics and competitons. Growing the game in NZ, PNG and Fiji will translate into more players and stronger Test matches.

The amount of money it would take to bring Perth up to the same standard as the QRL and NSWRL would be enormous and take decades. I doubt it's even possible because Queensland and NSW are so far ahead.
Because it’s the Australian RLC and having taken over responsibility for the game In WA has a moral obligation to grow it as much as possible. If it doesn’t care about WA then it shou,d have left the WARL to run the game here.

it doesn’t need to be, nor will it ever be, as strong as qlnd or nsw, that’s just stupidity taking. But could it be a lot bigger and stronger than now? Hell yes.

I find it very strange that you are such a strong advocate of not growing the game across the country. Very strange indeed for a supposed rugby league fan.

Nuke

Staff member
The RLIF should be the main ones focussing on raising the standards of the game in Fiji, NZ, PNG, ect. The ARLC's sole job, simplifying it down to one key dot point, is to raise the profile and standard of RL in Australia. Australia-wide.

Of course it is in the NRL's best interests to also want the Pacific Islands nations to keep providing better and better players, so there is a want / need for the NRL to invest in those areas too.

If the NRL has a clear presence across Australia, sponsors and potential sponsors, and broadcasters too, pay more as they know they will be seen by more people in more markets. This equals more money into the game.

Bukowski

Juniors
The RLIF should be the main ones focussing on raising the standards of the game in Fiji, NZ, PNG, ect. The ARLC's sole job, simplifying it down to one key dot point, is to raise the profile and standard of RL in Australia. Australia-wide.

Of course it is in the NRL's best interests to also want the Pacific Islands nations to keep providing better and better players, so there is a want / need for the NRL to invest in those areas too.

If the NRL has a clear presence across Australia, sponsors and potential sponsors, and broadcasters too, pay more as they know they will be seen by more people in more markets. This equals more money into the game.
It's only Albo's idea that will prevent Perth being no18.

Because it’s the Australian RLC and having taken over responsibility for the game In WA has a moral obligation to grow it as much as possible. If it doesn’t care about WA then it shou,d have left the WARL to run the game here.

The ARLC isn't required to recklessly spend money on pissant markets that don't show much demand for the game. Perth already gets more money than smaller markets like Adelaide. What Perth gets is based on how much demand there is for the game.

it doesn’t need to be, nor will it ever be, as strong as qlnd or nsw, that’s just stupidity taking. But could it be a lot bigger and stronger than now? Hell yes.

If it's not as strong as Queensland and NSW then a Perth-based NRL team will need to field its lower division teams in the NSW or Qld competitions. No point wasting money on the Perth competitions if they will never be strong enough to prop up an NRL team.

I find it very strange that you are such a strong advocate of not growing the game across the country. Very strange indeed for a supposed rugby league fan.

Adding a team in Melbourne that has been on a golden run hasn't done much for junior RL in Victoria. There's no reason to think things will be any better for the game in Perth.

You just admitted that RL will never be as strong in Perth as it is in Brisbane and Sydney. Players will need to relocate to the east coast to develop their skills against Queenslanders and New South Welshmen.

Why waste money on a pissant market that doesn't have the infrastructure to produce a regular supply of quality NRL players?

Perth's biggest problem is it's two hours behind the east coast and has a tiny supporter base. The Eagles and Dockers generated 74k and 69k on Ch7 in Perth this year. Games not featuring Eagles or Dockers generated just 45k. That's terrible.

Broncos generated 170k in Brisbane on Ch9. Cowboys and Titans generated 131k. Dolphins generated 126k. Games not featuring Queensland teams generated 98k in Brisbane. It's why Ch9 publicly stated they want another team in Brisbane. There's more money to be made from Brisbane 3 than Perth.