What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha shoe in.... only if you took the on the bears,
you guys are seriously delusional, do you know how the clubs will vote or more importantly what they value, i can tell you its none of those things PR posted up as a list of "pros", they are unbelievably selfish, and they want things that money isnt going to buy or solve, why would it they all get the same amount, as if they want another beautiful beach city team, stealing away their talent, without any 1st grade talent in return... again i cant state this enough, you're selling to the wrong audience.
And listen I might sound disgenious most of the time, but i seriously want a perth team too, just not yet, not ahead of the areas that will boost the player pool to a reasonable amount that we can open a franchise like Perth or Adelaide and be able fill it with 1st grade talent straight away, that not going to happen in Perth now, it barely happened in redcliffe, and thats meant to be heartland, you'll be cannon fodder, its reckless to go there now
From a business point of view Perth arguably offers the least risk to other clubs. Wont be fishing in same pond for sponsors, player recruitment will be from a wide rage of locations not specific to one state, Isnt going to draw away fans from their club.

Player recruitment for WA is not an insurmountable problem until our production lines develop. Besides with all these college football players from Vegas coming into NRL there be an abundance of players lol

MugaB

Coach
Worth a relisten

Are you on repeat, sorry rehash
Selling to the wrong audience

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hahaha vegas please.. not even you believe that crock
Typed with tongue very firmly in cheek!
There are some creative ways to deal with the player recruitment issue though. Setting up scouting pathways in UK and France, partnering with a QRL or NSW cup club, partnership with NZ region, cap relief for signing players outside of the NRL. Plenty of things that can be done whilst the long overdue investment in WA RL systems is put in place and reaps the rewards.

Id be more than happy if the Perth NRL club didnt come in for ten years if the NRL pumped serious money into pathways now here in WA, but sadly they have shown that wont happen so it will need to be NRl club first that will drive that investment.

MugaB

Coach
Typed with tongue very firmly in cheek!
There are some creative ways to deal with the player recruitment issue though. Setting up scouting pathways in UK and France, partnering with a QRL or NSW cup club, partnership with NZ region, cap relief for signing players outside of the NRL. Plenty of things that can be done whilst the long overdue investment in WA RL systems is put in place and reaps the rewards.
Howbout do that right now IN WA!! How are you all so backwards to only want to do any of that once you've acquired a licence... you guys will never get one, they want to see action, not words, they'll never veiw "perth" as the next Melbourne storm, hell they culled 3 clubs just to make that happen, that won't be happening now, they've gone down that road of we don't need you unless you prove to us your worth, at the moment its as important as SA is...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Howbout do that right now IN WA!! How are you all so backwards to only want to do any of that once you've acquired a licence... you guys will never get one, they want to see action, not words
There isnt the money to do it, that's the problem. It needs the wealth of an NRL club to make it happen. Reality is without pokie dens or a twiggy forrest billionaire it is reliant on the governing body or an NRL club to do it. Back to the chicken and egg.

Cumins was mostly funding the SG ball set up after being told in 2013 to stop worrying about a bid and get jnrs improved. Despite SG ball investment and the elite pathways regional programs put in place it was clear it didnt make a jot of difference to the hope of an NRL license and the pin was pulled. Also ARLC reducing NRLWA funding didnt help him feel appreciated Im sure!
Cant blame him, why spend your hard earned funding player development for the east coast that keeps ignoring the west?

MugaB

Coach
There isnt the money to do it, that's the problem. It needs the wealth of an NRL club to make it happen. Reality is without pokie dens or a twiggy forrest billionaire it is reliant on the governing body or an NRL club to do it. Back to the chicken and egg.
You've got the WA govt, start development,
follow the lead of the Png bid, they're investing in developing the 13-14 yrs old now, that showcasing your intent to develop

Perth Red

Post Whore
You've got the WA govt, start development,
follow the lead of the Png bid, they're investing in developing the 13-14 yrs old now, that showcasing your intent to develop
WA Govt want an NRL license. I have no doubt if the NRL is doing its job properly one of the provisos for admission should be increased Govt funding for jnrs (they already sponsor the NRLWA). The NRl has little credibility after leading the WA govt down the garden path in 2012. i doubt they are going to throw money at RL in WA unless there is certainty of a pay off for them. Its just one of many sports to them and a minor one at that compared to football, AFL, basketball and netball which have much greater Jnr participation rates.

Its only happening in PNG as the Australian Govt is giving them a massive hand out. Its not the PNG bid or local Govt funding it! ps we have had those same elite pathway programs in place in WA for a number of years now from U14 through to Sg ball (up till recently).

MugaB

Coach
WA Govt want a NRL license. I have no doubt if the NRL is doing its job properly one of the provisos for admission should be increased Govt funding for jnrs (they already sponsor the NRLWA). The NRl has little credability after leading the WA gtovt down the garden path in 2012. i doubt they are going to throw money at RL in WA unless there is certainty of a pay off for them.

Its only happening in PNG as the Australian Govt is giving them a massive hand out. Its not the PNG bid or local Govt funding it! ps we have had those same elite pathway programs in place in WA for a number of years now from U14 through to Sg ball (up till recently).
And how many WA SG ball teams have won games?
See you call them elite, but all i see is park footy

Perth Red

Post Whore
And how many WA SG ball teams have won games?
See you call them elite, but all i see is park footy
Irrelevant, around 25 players went on to play Qlnd/NSW cup and a few made it to NRL and SL. It was there to showcase the best talent and give them a shop window to get picked up. Competing with clubs that had NRl backing was allays going to be incredibly tough. With the gap in resources and an NRL clubs support they did ok i arguably the toughest U18 RL comp in the world.

I find it highly amusing that you and donkey must think there is something in the water on the east coast that means that better Rl players are born lol. Its a question of resources, coaching, systems and scouting. Not some strange geographical phenomenon that means that RL players cant be developed anywhere other than NZ, Qlnd and NSW

Perth Red

Post Whore
I never said the WA bid had to invest, ijust said they need to get investments or investors, like your WA govt, but they seem to gun shy, like you said 2012 was a year of the dropped bid, must be the hierarchy at the time
The bid was dropped as Grant came to perth and told us to stop wasting our time! What a breakfast that was. This was after the WA govt had been led to believe perth was in line for a soonish inclusion and convinced to spend $125mill on nib stadium (as was). It did not go down well I can tell you! There is no wonder they are still gun shy of trusting the NRL. I wouldnt be investing anything either without a guarantee.

MugaB

Coach
Irrelevant, around 25 players went on to play Qlnd/NSW cup and a few made it to NRL and SL. It was there to showcase the best talent and give them a shop window to get picked up. Competing with clubs that had NRl backing was allays going to be incredibly tough. With the gap in resources and an NRL clubs support they did ok i arguably the toughest U18 RL comp in the world.

I find it highly amusing that you and donkey must think there is something in the water on the east coast that means that better Rl players are born lol. Its a question of resources, coaching, systems and scouting. Not some strange geographical phenomenon that means that RL players cant be developed anywhere other than NZ, Qlnd and NSW
There's nothing in the water, maybe its just the us verse you thing you got going.... it the everywhere but perth thing, i mean you guys have kiwis, poms and aussies, thats the same thing the east coast have... maybe its that consistant competition you guys lack

Perth Red

Post Whore
There's nothing in the water, maybe its just the us verse you thing you got going.... it the everywhere but perth thing, i mean you guys have kiwis, poms and aussies, thats the same thing the east coast have... maybe its that consistant competition you guys lack
No its the missing pathways, quality coaching, quality training facilities and level of competition, along with the best 15/16 year olds heading east every year as there is no NRL pathway here.

There is absolutely no reason with all those things in place WA cant produce NRl players. But they arent in place and with an ARLC unwilling to fund it then its going to be determinant on an NRL club here funding it. It isnt going to happen any other way.

MugaB

Coach
No its the missing pathways, quality coaching, quality training facilities and level of competition, along with the best 15/16 year olds heading east every year as there is no NRL pathway here.

There is absolutely no reason with all those things in place WA cant produce NRl players. But they arent in place and with an ARLC unwilling to fund it then its going to be determinant on an NRL club here funding it. It isnt going to happen any other way.
Again thats BS, there is plenty of other ways, WA govt should be investing way more, and there should be a pathway set up, like ive said png never had a 1st grade pathway, they got good playing reseve grade, but thats it, next step 1st grade, PVL isnt Greedy Grant, he doesnt need to be involved in RL, he has the cushy Racing job, he isn't motivated by wishes and intentions, he want to see increments of results, areas that are developing players, i wouldn't doubt the pirates get licence 20, but to expect a licence first isn't going to happen under his watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again thats BS, there is plenty of other ways, WA govt should be investing way more, and there should be a pathway set up, like ive said png never had a 1st grade pathway, they got good playing reseve grade, but thats it, next step 1st grade, PVL isnt Greedy Grant, he doesnt need to be involved in RL, he has the cushy Racing job, he isn't motivated by wishes and intentions, he want to see increments of results, areas that are developing players, i wouldn't doubt the pirates get licence 20, but to expect a licence first isn't going to happen under his watch
Why should they? If WA Govt was going to invest way more it would be in increasing participation and spent on Jnr sports with much bigger participation rates. Why should the WA govt fund elite pathways to develop professional players for a sport that isnt even played in the city? Only way they will come to the party is if there is a guaranteed NRL license at the end of the road.

You are asking WA (ie State Govt or a rich benefactor) to do something that no region in Australia has done or is doing, to fund elite RL pathways without pokies or an NRL club.