What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

This is what I've been saying. Easier to produce players were you have infrastructure. Afl states will never have this for league..

@Perth Red is yet to explain how a Perth-based NRL club will convince the city's best athletes to abandon fumbleball and cricket for rugby league.

I'd like to know how many RL juniors from Perth that had gone on to play NRL have no lineage to Queensland, NSW and NZ?

The Goodwin brothers moved to Perth when their brother played for the Reds. Kalyn Ponga was born in Perth but was raised in Queensland and New Zealand. Curtis Rona moved to Perth and wanted to play rugby union.

The only one I can think of is Matt Peterson.

All I'm hearing from @Perth Red is excuses for Perth's shortcomings and demands for the NRL to choose it because it is where he lives.

His last few posts are him whinging about Perth RL not getting enough resources from the ARLC to compete with Queensland and NSW.

Ironically, the money he believes Perth is entitled to receive would be generated by rugby league fans in Brisbane and Sydney. People in Brisbane and Sydney constitute 90.6% of the FTA metro viewing audience. 2.67% of viewers are from Perth. Another 2.67% are from Melbourne. 2.34% are from Adelaide.

The WA Gov's plan isn't to grow rugby league in Perth. It's to take events and potential licences away from Brisbane and Sydney because they think it'll lead to them making more money from tourism.

Perth Red

Post Whore
@Perth Red is yet to explain how a Perth-based NRL club will convince the city's best athletes to abandon fumbleball and cricket for rugby league.

I'd like to know how many RL juniors from Perth that had gone on to play NRL have no lineage to Queensland, NSW and NZ?

The Goodwin brothers moved to Perth when their brother played for the Reds. Kalyn Ponga was born in Perth but was raised in Queensland and New Zealand. Curtis Rona moved to Perth and wanted to play rugby union.

The only one I can think of is Matt Peterson.

Yeh those 95-110kg RL suited players are doing so well in AFL lol. I used to take my godson to AFL jnrs and the number of really big kids who were totally mismatched out on the pitch and couldnt keep up was amazing. Giving kids who prefer a tougher sport with more physical requirements a better option can only be a good thing. Most AFL pros are in the 75-85kg weight range. Most NRL 95-105kg

Totally Irrelevant, thankfully we dont tell people they can only play a certain sport if they were born in a certain place!
most people have lineage to somewhere else. especially in a migrant city like Perth that has grown significantly from the influx of english, Kiwi, SA and east coasters. if they want to play RL, thats all that matters.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
All I'm hearing from @Perth Red is excuses for Perth's shortcomings and demands for the NRL to choose it because it is where he lives.

His last few posts are him whinging about Perth RL not getting enough resources from the ARLC to compete with Queensland and NSW.

Ironically, the money he believes Perth is entitled to receive would be generated by rugby league fans in Brisbane and Sydney. People in Brisbane and Sydney constitute 90.6% of the FTA metro viewing audience. 2.67% of viewers are from Perth. Another 2.67% are from Melbourne. 2.34% are from Adelaide.

The WA Gov's plan isn't to grow rugby league in Perth. It's to take events and potential licences away from Brisbane and Sydney because they think it'll lead to them making more money from tourism.
city of 2.2million people
richest state in australia
Drew 42k crowd to nrl this season
One of the strongest grassroots states outside nsw and qlnd already producing nrl and nrlw players with strong potential for growth of participation and player production
beautiful affordable city to raise family in attracting players to relocate
Bid consortium of millionaire committed owners
Supportive cashed up state govt
Massive growth potential for tv audience
increase in value of sponsorship to nrl by having another big capital city in the comp
75 year history of rugby league and local clubs
perfect location for new tv time slot
suitable regular stadium and bigger top class one if and when needed
takes the fight to afl and puts another nail in unions coffin
removes the public perception rugby league is a two state game
politis and finally Vlandys recognise value of an Australian wide competition

Last edited:
Yeh those 100-120kg plus RL suited players are doing so well in AFL lol. I used to take my godson to AFL jnrs and the number of really big kids who were totally mismatched out on the pitch and couldnt keep up was amazing. Giving kids who prefer a tougher sport with more physical requirements a better option can only be a good thing. Most AFL pros are in the 75-85kg weight range. Most NRL 95-105kg

Totally Irrelevant, thankfully we dont tell people they can only play a certain sport if they were born in a certain place!
most people have lineage to somewhere else. especially in a migrant city like Perth that has grown significantly from the influx of english, Kiwi, SA and east coasters. if they want to play RL, thats all that matters.

If Perth has so many migrants from RL strongholds then there's no need for an NRL club. They'll happily play juniors for a local club and then head east to play in the NRL.

Where's Perth going to get its version of Matty Bowen, Johnathon Thurston, Allan Langer, Kevin Walters, Benji Marshall and Reece Walsh?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Perth has so many migrants from RL strongholds then there's no need for an NRL club. They'll happily play juniors for a local club and then head east to play in the NRL.

Where's Perth going to get its version of Matty Bowen, Johnathon Thurston, Allan Langer, Kevin Walters, Benji Marshall and Reece Walsh?
Sigh, now you're just clutching.

WA has produced world class athletes across numerous sports. No reason at all RL couldnt be one of them. You reap what you sow

city of 2.2million people

Melbourne has twice as many people. Its FTA metro ratings are just 8k.

richest state in australia

Then why are you spooking about the WARL not getting enough money from the ARLC?

Drew 42k crowd to nrl this season

That was for a double header. It's not indicative of how many people will regularly attend a Perth-based NRL team. Over 60k attended a gridiron game in Sydney 24 years ago, FWIW.

One of the strongest grassroots states outside nsw and qlnd already producing nrl and nrlw players with strong potential for growth of participation and player production

Then there's no reason to put an NRL club there if it's already doing this.

beautiful affordable city to raise family in attracting players to relocate

There's also the burden of travel. It's less taxing play for a club in Brisbane or Sydney.

Bid consortium of millionaire committed owners

How did Nathan Tinkler and Clive Palmer go at Newcastle and Gold Coast?

Supportive cashed up state govt
Massive growth potential for tv audience

The WA Gov haven't invested in an office for the WARL or a High Performance Training Centre.

Perth Rectangular Stadium is a shithole.

increase in value of sponsorship to nrl by having another big capital city in the comp

How much money can the other 16 NRL expect to gain from their sponsors once a Perth-based team is admitted?

75 year history of rugby league and local clubs

Similar to PNGRFL, yeah?

perfect location for new tv time slot
suitable regular stadium and bigger top class one if and when needed

Perth Rectangular Stadium has terrible corporate boxes that are 30 to 40 years out of date.

Perth is in a horrible time zone for two of Ch9's three games.

Any team can host the Sun 6PM AEST game. It'll be more fan friendly than the Thur 8pm AEST game.

takes the fight to afl and puts another nail in unions coffin

The best athletes will still grow up playing fumbleball. A Perth-based NRL team won't have the resources to lure juniors away from the cashed up WAFL, Eagles and Dockers.

removes the public perception rugby league is a two state game

The only people who care about this perception are insecure wankers.

What makes you think a Perth-based team will change this perception?

The Melbourne Storm, Canberra Raiders and Auckland Warriors have been around for a couple of generations. If their presence hasn't changed the perception then a Perth-based NRL club won't.

politis and finally Vlandys recognise value of an Australian wide competition

That's why PNG is getting the 18rh licence?

Sigh, now you're just clutching.

WA has produced world class athletes across numerous sports. No reason at all RL couldnt be one of them. You reap what you sow

How many superstars have they produced for the NRL?

I'm not talking about plodders. I'm talking elite players who command top dollar on the player market because of their skill.

The only basketballer from Perth I can think of is Luc Longley. He made it because of his enormous size.

How many swimmers, track and field athletes from Perth are Olympic champions?

How many world class golfers who've been world number 1 are from Perth?

What about tennis players?

The last great Western Australian tennis player I can think of is Margaret Court.

Sam Kerr is from Perth, but a large proportion of the Matildas are from Queensland.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I'm not talking about plodders. I'm talking elite players who command top dollar on the player market because of their skill.

The only basketballer from Perth I can think of is Luc Longley. He made it because of his enormous size.

The last great Western Australian tennis player I can think of is Margaret Court.

Sam Kerr is from Perth, but a large proportion of the Matildas are from Queensland.
if and when the game ever sows it will reap. There is along and glorious history of sports people from WA. The fact we havent had any star NRL players is a reflection on the neglect of the game here that continues to this day.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's why PNG is getting the 18rh licence?
PNG are getting the license, probably, for one sole reason, and it isnt because they are a better overall option than Perth lol

The rest youre just rehashing your biased opinion for self justification of why you dont want Rugby league to grow in WA. A very strange position for a supposed RL fan I must say.

Bukowski

Juniors
PNG are getting the license, probably, for one sole reason, and it isnt because they are a better overall option than Perth lol

The rest youre just rehashing your biased opinion for self justification of why you dont want Rugby league to grow in WA. A very strange position for a supposed RL fan I must say.
But not a strange position for a complete moron. 😅

mongoose

Coach

"My state produces better athletes than your state"
Leave these juvenile arguments for the fight club

if and when the game ever sows it will reap. There is along and glorious history of sports people from WA. The fact we havent had any star NRL players is a reflection on the neglect of the game here that continues to this day.

You're not answering the questions.

How many star fumbleballers have come out of Brisbane and Sydney over the last 30 years?

I'm talking about born and raised Queenslanders and New South Welshmen.

Gary Jack's son played for the Swans. I don't know if he was a star. Fumbleball poached Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau from the Broncos because they couldn't generate star players from Brisbane and Sydney.

"My state produces better athletes than your state"
Leave these juvenile arguments for the fight club

You don't like it when reality exposes your fantasies.

It's insane to say to we need to expand into Perth to produce new RL players, then ignore Perth's poor record at producing athletes that aren't cricketers and fumbleballers. You're just trying to shut down this discussion because it exposes the flaws of your dumb plan.

Bukowski

Juniors
I know how I'll stop the Perth bid. I'll just spam an internet forum with absolute bullshit. With both my accounts.

AfLw Is bIgGeR tHAn NRl. ThAt ShOuLd Do It.

dum de dum da

The main reason PNG are getting the licence and millions in funding is because rugby league is its national sport. If Papuans preferred fumbleball then the Gov wouldn't be funding this licence. It really angers you that regions that actually love RL are preferred over fumbleball strongholds.

A few years ago you chucked a tantrum about News Ltd and the ARL choosing the Cowboys over Perth in 1997. You said they chose the "wrong team". Only a f**kwit wouldn't understand why News Ltd chose Cowboys over Perth. Cowboys were generating massive attendances and strong sponsorship, despite being poor on the field. Reds were destitute and had no fans, despite having a strong roster.

You're just going to have to accept that Perth's love for fumbleball and apathy for rugby league works against it getting an NRL team.

Centy Coast

Juniors
It always ends the same. LOL.

Investment will be part of the bid process and it won't be a problem. The only thing that will beat us is the Aus govts huge dollars. And I can see why it should.
Vote Albo out and the PNG bid is dead, especially when tax payers learn that they are funding it.

Latest posts