What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

MugaB

Coach
Why should they? If WA Govt was going to invest way more it would be in increasing participation and spent on Jnr sports with much bigger participation rates. Why should the WA govt fund elite pathways to develop professional players for a sport that isnt even played in the city? Only way they will come to the party is if there is a guaranteed NRL license at the end of the road.

You are asking WA (ie State Govt or a rich benefactor) to do something that no region in Australia has done or is doing, to fund elite RL pathways without pokies or an NRL club.
Get pokies y'all

Bukowski

Juniors
It always ends the same. LOL.

Investment will be part of the bid process and it won't be a problem. The only thing that will beat us is the Aus govts huge dollars. And I can see why it should.

Dragonwest

Juniors
And how many WA SG ball teams have won games?
See you call them elite, but all i see is park footy

We had a program, but it wasn't in the same ball park as their opposition. Like Perth Red said, it is a chicken and the egg situation to properly fund it.

Pirates squad depth and their results were hurt by the SG Ball Program being the beginning and the end of the road. Ultimately we will struggle against Penrith, Parramatta, Canterbury, Newcastle and Canberra etc. We should have been be very competitive against and potentially beat the St Georges, North Sydney, Wests etc....

Unfortunately each year 6-10 of our better players were lost in the 6-18 months prior to the SG Ball season to either:
1) Force contracts which banned players from playing League - typically after playing in our 12s and 15s state teams.
2) Other East Coast SG Ball Programs. Parents are relocating kids in their school years to better their opportunities. I can remember in 2018 our team played against 4 opponents in quick succession featuring Perth players playing for the opposition.

Fair call on the park footy. Without the NRL club infrastructure, the coaches, the coaching facilities and the HM Program building up their workload prior its an impossible task to convert club footballers into a competitive SG Ball team within 4 months.

Keep those 10 players each year, have a proper program from 14/15 building them up, the club comp. will then grow quickly as a preferred alternative to Rugby and Perth will have the junior cattle needed to be mid table in SG Ball.

Nuke

Staff member
There aren't, technically, ANY bids at the moment, because the NRL hasn't put a call out for any bids as yet. There are planning groups in WA, PNG, Qld, ect, who are no doubt putting bids together for when the call comes, but no bids.

Except NthSydney. But which bid they're going to run with, they'll decide later!

MugaB

Coach
There aren't, technically, ANY bids at the moment, because the NRL hasn't put a call out for any bids as yet. There are planning groups in WA, PNG, Qld, ect, who are no doubt putting bids together for when the call comes, but no bids.

Except NthSydney. But which bid they're going to run with, they'll decide later!
I actually don't think they'll go down the traditional "call for bids" road, they'll survey whos doing something, then point towards it, chat about their intentions in yhe media, i don't think they want to be seen as ignoring possible new areas or traditional areas, hence the jump to the possible 20 team comp... come time for the 19th licence, thet might use some excuse as its not the right time, come back in 5 years or something,

Perth Red

Post Whore
I actually don't think they'll go down the traditional "call for bids" road, they'll survey whos doing something, then point towards it, chat about their intentions in yhe media, i don't think they want to be seen as ignoring possible new areas or traditional areas, hence the jump to the possible 20 team comp... come time for the 19th licence, thet might use some excuse as its not the right time, come back in 5 years or something,
Depending on if PNG is a reality or not I think team 19 decision will very much depend on the WA offer. If it's too good to risk losing then they may have a plan for Perth as club 19 in next 6 years or so, Cook isnt going to be premier forever. If they make decison in next year or two its long enough for the WA Govt to commit to any building projects they may be offering as well as get jnr funding flowing. If they delay longer Cook may be gone along with the offer.

Its possible it could be

PNG 2027/2028
new tv deal 2028 inc 18&19 clubs
Perth 2030
new tv deal 2033
club 20 2033

Pippen94

First Grade

We've heard from all of them but Perth..

Irrelevant, around 25 players went on to play Qlnd/NSW cup and a few made it to NRL and SL. It was there to showcase the best talent and give them a shop window to get picked up. Competing with clubs that had NRl backing was allays going to be incredibly tough. With the gap in resources and an NRL clubs support they did ok i arguably the toughest U18 RL comp in the world.

I find it highly amusing that you and donkey must think there is something in the water on the east coast that means that better Rl players are born lol. Its a question of resources, coaching, systems and scouting. Not some strange geographical phenomenon that means that RL players cant be developed anywhere other than NZ, Qlnd and NSW

The reason Queensland and NSW produce better players than Western Australia is because a) they have better infrastructure to nurture their talent and b) attract the best athletes. Western Australia's best athletes grow up playing fumbleball and cricket.

Spending millions of dollars on RL clubs in Perth isn't going to make the most athletic kids want to play the game. Despite all of the money fumbleball has invested in Queensland, it hasn't deterred the best athletes from choosing rugby league. Kids want to emulate their heroes. In Queensland and NSW their heroes are rugby league players. In Western Australia they worship fumbleball players.

Pippen94

First Grade
The reason Queensland and NSW produce better players than Western Australia is because a) they have better infrastructure to nurture their talent and b) attract the best athletes. Western Australia's best athletes grow up playing fumbleball and cricket.

Spending millions of dollars on RL clubs in Perth isn't going to make the most athletic kids want to play the game. Despite all of the money fumbleball has invested in Queensland, it hasn't deterred the best athletes from choosing rugby league. Kids want to emulate their heroes. In Queensland and NSW their heroes are rugby league players. In Western Australia they worship fumbleball players.

This is what I've been saying. Easier to produce players were you have infrastructure. Afl states will never have this for league..

Perth Red

Post Whore
..sure, redcliffe just came out of woodwork. Weren't talking about joining for years..
The WA consortium has also been talking for years. But after getting burnt after being very public in 2012 they are going about their business quietly and behind the scenes this time, if expansion was decided by media attention Bears would be back by now lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is what I've been saying. Easier to produce players were you have infrastructure. Afl states will never have this for league..
chicken and egg, you need the NRL club to have the infrastructure, especially in States without pokies. Or a benevolent sport HQ rich enough and happy to invest in that jnr infrastructure.