What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Bukowski

Juniors
I have no clue why some continue to claim it as a given that Perth won't be able to produce talent.

A history or 10,000 plus players is significant, with an NRL license there is no reason why Perth couldn't not target 10-12,000 registered player very quickly. Considering we are 170-180,000 nationwide that number isn't to be sneezed at.

How can Perth generate competitive talent without a HM, SG Ball and Flegg program linked to an NRL team? With that program the pool is definitely big enough.
We are the best option for getting more participants, growing the player pool.

Centy Coast

Juniors
With rugby league being its National sport and virtually a religion to its local residents my question is what superstars of the game has PNG produced ?.
Adrian Lam, Marcus Bai and Justin Olam ?.

Last edited:
I have no clue why some continue to claim it as a given that Perth won't be able to produce talent.

A history or 10,000 plus players is significant, with an NRL license there is no reason why Perth couldn't not target 10-12,000 registered player very quickly. Considering we are 170-180,000 nationwide that number isn't to be sneezed at.

How can Perth generate competitive talent without a HM, SG Ball and Flegg program linked to an NRL team? With that program the pool is definitely big enough.

Will the standard of the Perth competition be as strong as the QRL and NSWRL?

PNG and France have 10k players. The standard is light years behind the QRL and NSWRL. It's one of the reasons the FFRXIII is looking to field a team from New Caledonia in the Queensland Cup.

If Perth wants to get a team in the NRL them it'll need to get over its entitlement complex and field a team in the Queensland Cup. PNG Hunters have been in the Queensland Cup for eight seasons. They've earnt their right to have the 18th licence.

So there should be no NZ, Melbourne or PNG teams since their local comps aren't as strong as QRL or NSWRL either? In fact, it should just be a bunch of Sydney and Brisbane teams, no other locations welcome.

New Zealanders make up a large chunk of NRL players. Western Australians and Victorians do not.

Doesn't matter. Your criteria is whether their local comp is as good as NSWRL and QRL, which it isn't, so therefore NZ should not have a team

That's not what I said. I responded to a post about Western Australia having 10k players in the past. I pointed out that the standard isn't strong enough to prepare players for the NRL. They'll have to test themselves in the Queensland Cup and NSW Cup.

The Warriors have been fielding a team in the NSW Cup for years.

Australian clubs recruit players directly from New Zealand. Taumololo was just a kid when he was signed by the Cowboys.

Maximus

Coach
That's not what I said. I responded to a post about Western Australia having 10k players in the past. I pointed out that the standard isn't strong enough to prepare players for the NRL. They'll have to test themselves in the Queensland Cup and NSW Cup.

The Warriors have been fielding a team in the NSW Cup for years.

Australian clubs recruit players directly from New Zealand. Taumololo was just a kid when he was signed by the Cowboys.

Ah yeah you are kinda making my point. You said that despite the players they've had, they shouldn't get a team because their local comp will never be as good as the NSWRL or QRL. The same would apply to all those NZ players.

It's dumb logic for WA, just as it is for NZ.

Also, your entire argument is hypocritical. You say it doesn't matter that PNG hasn't developed anyone, because if they have an NRL team they will build up the pathways and then develop players, but WA has to develop all the NRL players first otherwise they shouldn't get a team.

Ah yeah you are kinda making my point. You said that despite the players they've had, they shouldn't get a team because their local comp will never be as good as the NSWRL or QRL. The same would apply to all those NZ players.

Also, your entire argument is hypocritical. You say it doesn't matter that PNG hasn't developed anyone, because if they have an NRL team they will build up the pathways and then develop players, but WA has to develop all the NRL players first otherwise they shouldn't get a team.

I'm being realistic. You're being disingenuous.

Western Australia hasn't produced a single superstar. The Goodwin brothers were originally from NSW. Kalyn Ponga played juniors in Queensland and NZ. Shane Wright grew up in Queensland. Curtis Rona didn't even want to play RL. His mum signed him up for an RL club thinking it was RU. He ended up going back to RU.

The only born and bred Western Australian NRL player I can think of is Matt Peterson. He was no superstar.

The Auckland Rugby League was a strong competition before the Warriors entered the ARL.

PNGRFL has a semi-professional competition feeding into the PNG Hunters.

New Zealand has produced superstars. There's a reason NRL sends scouts to New Zealand (and not Perth). The best athletes in NZ play RU or RL. The Perth RL scene is made up of a few expatriates and plodders who couldn't make it in fumbleball.

Bukowski

Juniors

Yep, that's his argument! 😅😅

Centy Coast

Juniors
More than Perff.

Imagine how much talent will come out of PNG when the pathways are established?
The PNG Head Hunters have been in the QLD Cup for how many years ?, where are all these crazy talented players ?.
Where did the Head Hunters finish in the QLD Cup in 2023 ?.
Sure there are some good players,
winger Robert Derby and hooker Judah Rimbu were two of their best last weekend along with Nene MacDonald.

Bukowski

Juniors
The PNG Head Hunters have been in the QLD Cup for how many years ?, where are all these crazy talented players ?.
winger Robert Derby and hooker Judah Rimbu were two of their best last weekend along with Nene MacDonald.
They don't exist. They've had decades of a pathway but bugger all have come through. Wasted govt money.

More fields and organised competitions across the country are needed. There are regions on the coast where people can only play on the beach when the tide is out because they don't have a field.

Kids are more likely to attend school when it has an RL team. Invest money on fields and coaches for schools. The game will bloom.

Doesn't matter. Your criteria is whether their local comp is as good as NSWRL and QRL, which it isn't, so therefore NZ should not have a team

Read and weep you liar.

Auckland had played against several touring teams over the years, though once the Auckland Warriors started playing in the 1995 ARL Premiership it diluted the standard of the representative side, and they have not played against full international sides in recent years. Auckland beat Australia, England and France in the space of 21 days in 1977.

Has the WARL ever pulled off a feat like this?

Maximus

Coach
Read and weep you liar.

Auckland had played against several touring teams over the years, though once the Auckland Warriors started playing in the 1995 ARL Premiership it diluted the standard of the representative side, and they have not played against full international sides in recent years. Auckland beat Australia, England and France in the space of 21 days in 1977.​

Has the WARL ever pulled off a feat like this?

And the Matildas lost to an u15s boys side.