What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Bukowski

Juniors
Seriously why would Perth really want a third AFL team, the two they have got atm are struggling.
Fremantle (14th) and West Coast (18th) in 2023, both have very young squads.
The Joondalup Giants have a decent rugby league team.
No one does. Except a mayor, a Victorian and a frightened little donkey jumping at shadows.

Centy Coast

Juniors
No bid
No real backers
Afl state
Only 4k watch on FTA
It failed before
If the Perth Reds hadn’t agreed to that dumb deal to pay for all opposition flights they would’ve been fine.
They never failed, they were never wooden spooners and were financially better than many of their rivals off the field, many people say the Bears were not competitive as well yet 1979 was their last wooden spoon, the Bears were in the finals all through the 90’s except in their final season 1999, the Wests Tigers are favourites for their third straight wooden spoon in 2024, the Knights were wooden spooners in 2015, 2016, 2017 yet made the finals in 2023, the Broncos were wooden spooners in 2020 and this season they played in the GF. How do you measure failure ?.

Last edited:

Bukowski

Juniors
If the Perth Reds hadn’t agreed to that dumb deal to pay for all opposition flights they would’ve been fine.
They never failed, they were never wooden spooners and were financially better than many of their rivals off the field, many people say the Bears were not competitive as well yet 1979 was their last wooden spoon, the Bears were in the finals all through the 90’s except in their final season 1999, the Wests Tigers are favourites for their third straight wooden spoon in 2024, the Knights were wooden spooners in 2015, 2016, 2017 yet made the finals in 2023, the Broncos were wooden spooners in 2020 and this season they played in the GF. How do your measure failure ?.
I applaud you for trying but you can't have a decent conversation with the 3 of them.

Pippen94

First Grade
They never failed, they were never wooden spooners and were financially better than many of their rivals off the field, many people say the Bears were not competitive as well yet 1979 was their last wooden spoon, the Bears were in the finals all through the 90’s except in their final season 1999, the Wests Tigers are favourites for their third straight wooden spoon in 2024, the Knights were wooden spooners in 2015, 2016, 2017 yet made the finals in 2023, the Broncos were wooden spooners in 2020 and this season they played in the GF. How do your measure failure ?.

Anybody want to stick to topic?!

Centy Coast

Juniors
No bid
No real backers
Afl state
Only 4k watch on FTA
It failed before
You said WA failed before, I was sticking to topic by arguing that it didn’t fail.
The Perth Reds were folded by News Ltd, for their new pet project the Melbourne Storm.
It was no mere coincidence that both the Perth Reds and the Hunter Mariners were folded up at the end of the 1997 season and the majority of their players along with new signings Glenn Lazarus, Stephen Kearney and Tawera Nikau joined the Storm in their 1998 debut season.
I asked you after showing examples of how I judge failure (wooden spoons) and you then reply “stick to the topic” lol.

Pippen94

First Grade
You said WA failed before, I was sticking to topic by arguing that it didn’t fail.
The Perth Reds were folded by News Ltd, for their new pet project the Melbourne Storm.
It was no mere coincidence that both the Perth Reds and the Hunter Mariners were folded up at the end of the 1997 season and the majority of their players along with new signings Glenn Lazarus, Stephen Kearney and Tawera Nikau joined the Storm in their 1998 debut season.
I asked you after showing examples of how I judge failure (wooden spoons) and you then reply “stick to the topic” lol.

They folded. They failed. Everything else you write is a distraction from that.

Seriously why would Perth really want a third AFL team, the two they have got atm are struggling.
Fremantle (14th) and West Coast (18th) in 2023, both have very young squads.
The Joondalup Giants have a decent rugby league team.
People said the same thing about Brisbane 2 in 2020/21. The Broncos finished last in 2020 and in the bottom four the next year.

There are people on this thread who were against a traditional BRL club becoming the second Brisbane team. Dane, PR, Desert Tiger and mongoose ridiculed the suggestion of anything but a "neutral" brand getting the licence. At one stage they scoremongered me into believing their rhetoric. It turned out that the "neutral" branded Bombers were the least popular of the four bids. Bombers ended up merging with Ipswich Jets.

PR is now ridiculing Brisbane Tigers, yet he preferred them over the Dolphins. According to him they would fail because they're not based in the CBD.

Dane reckons the Dolphins are a failure because their attendances and sponsorship revenue is the second highest in the NRL. He once said the second team should be the Brisbane Sawfish.

Colk

First Grade
It’s not really that black and white with the Reds. Crowds were ok, but having to cover the away teams travel costs was a financial stab in the heart. (West Coast also had to do this for the AFL for the first year until they realised how stupid this was).

Of course it’s not black and white. Not much in the world is black and white and only idiots argue in black and white

Bukowski

Juniors
I warned you. They arnt after conversation , just trolling

They never failed, they were never wooden spooners and were financially better than many of their rivals off the field, many people say the Bears were not competitive as well yet 1979 was their last wooden spoon, the Bears were in the finals all through the 90’s except in their final season 1999, the Wests Tigers are favourites for their third straight wooden spoon in 2024, the Knights were wooden spooners in 2015, 2016, 2017 yet made the finals in 2023, the Broncos were wooden spooners in 2020 and this season they played in the GF. How do you measure failure ?.

Cowboys were also burdened with having to cover the flight and accommodation costs of their opponents. Cowboys also needed to take out a loan to build a stadium at Willows. The club averaged 21,600 people to their games with a team that won just two games across the season.

Western Reds had it quite good in comparison. A strong roster bolstered by Origin stars. Low stadium rental. They were very competitive on the field. Despite all of these advantages, their attendances in 1995 were just 13,390 -- they were the least attended expansion club. The club needed to be bailed out by News Ltd in 1996 to field a team.

Cowboys were also bailed out by News Ltd. The difference is they were one of the best sponsored teams throughout the 1990s. News Ltd saw hope for them because Townsville is a die-hard RL market. Western Reds were losing a lot of money and losing traction in a hostile fumbleball market. News Ltd saw the writing on the wall and cut their losses.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Its not really that black and white with the Reds. Crowds were ok, but having to cover the away teams travel costs was a financial stab in the heart. (West Coast also had to do this for the AFL for the first year until they realised how stupid this was).
He knows, we have told him multiple times, he is just trolling everybody at this stage.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Cowboys were also burdened with having to cover the flight and accommodation costs of their opponents. Cowboys also needed to take out a loan to build a stadium at Willows. The club averaged 21,600 people to their games with a team that won just two games across the season.

Western Reds had it quite good in comparison. A strong roster bolstered by Origin stars. Low stadium rental. They were very competitive on the field. Despite all of these advantages, their attendances in 1995 were just 13,390 -- they were the least attended expansion club. The club needed to be bailed out by News Ltd in 1996 to field a team.

Cowboys were also bailed out by News Ltd. The difference is they were one of the best sponsored teams throughout the 1990s. News Ltd saw hope for them because Townsville is a die-hard RL market. Western Reds were losing a lot of money and losing traction in a hostile fumbleball market. News Ltd saw the writing on the wall and cut their losses.
Seriously the NRL and News Ltd bailed out so many clubs it is just ridiculous, the Dragons, the Titans, the Sea Eagles, the Titans, the Tigers, the Knights, the Sharks, the Titans, I could go on, Fulton and Arthurson made sure nobody bailed out the Bears. Oh did I mention the Titans getting bailed out lol.
I only did who the NRL bailed out not News Ltd.

Its not really that black and white with the Reds. Crowds were ok, but having to cover the away teams travel costs was a financial stab in the heart. (West Coast also had to do this for the AFL for the first year until they realised how stupid this was).

Cowboys were stung with the same stipulation.

20 YEARS IN THE SADDLE NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 1995-2014 by Neil Cadigan, details how the Cowboys got their licence and why they signed with Super League.

Here's a snippet from page 41.

"An agreement, as requested by the NSWRL after pressure from other clubs, to pay not only for the travel of the Cowboys to away games but also visiting clubs to Townsville, a prohibitive cost estimated at about $800,000 a year."​

Here's some snippets from pages 44-45.

Revised applications from the three aspirating clubs (North Queensland, Brisbane and Perth) were due to be lodged by 31 October 1993, to be viewed initially by the premiership policy committee of Peter Moore (chairman, from the Canterbury club), Quayle, John Ribot (Brisbane Broncos), Bob Millward (Illawarra) Denis Fitzgerald (Parramatta), Paul Cross and Paul Harrison (both independent), before going to the directors Arthurson, Quayle, Bellew, Moore, Terry Parker (South Sydney), Laurie Doust, and independent businessmen George Gaines and Graham Lovett. With the league demanding confirmation of a lease agreement in writing by 31 October, the Cowboys had mere weeks to pull off a coup with an agreement between the Townsville and Thuringowa councils to enter a joint venture with the state government and Top End to fund and develop The Willows, finally confirming the Cowboys' ability to provide a Winfield Cup-standard stadium.

The premiership policy committee had recommended only one of the three teams be admitted to join the Warriors, even though all applications passed their inspection. On 30 November, the board met and the media gathered outside the league's headquarters at 61 Phillip Street, Sydney, waiting for word. After each had provided their final presentations, seated throughout the bars downstairs waiting for one of the game's most momentous decisions were Boustead, McLean and mayor of Townsville Tony Mooney; Crushers chairman Dick Turner; and Perth Pumas chairman Laurie Puddy and CEO-elect Gordon Allen.

The Crushers were the media favourites, the Cowboys ranked outsiders and the Pumas the wild card, with it known that the television rights holder, Kerry Packer's Channel 9, was keen to exploit the extra TV programming the west coast time zone would provide.

No one outside the meeting room that day had any inkling about what would happen next: all three teams were admitted, giving the game a 20-team competition. It was a massive shock.

Quayle provides an insight into what occurred. "Ken rang me early the morning the board was going to make a decision and he said, 'Mate, would there be any reason why we couldn't go now with four teams rather than two? Would they be ready now?' I'd suggested to him that plans were always to go to 20 teams over a period of time, but the premiership policy committee had said to admit two and in two years' time we'd look at it again. I said as far as I'm concerned there's no problem in bringing forward that decision. We'd looked at all three applications, and you couldn't split them as far as enthusiasm and the main issues. Perth wasn't a league area but we were looking to the future and had just started to play some games in Perth with good results. We knew what Brisbane was like, we were wary about New Zealand but had admitted them on the strength of their application; we'd made the decision we wanted to expand for television and exposure of the game in New Zealand.

"It was a unanimous decision to admit all three. It was the end of the Winfield sponsorship, but we were in the throes of good television revenue, we knew Channel 9 would support Perth. Initially, we were favouring Auckland and the Crushers and not Perth and North Queensland. It was a very big decision for the league, and a very big decision for North Queensland."​