What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Bukowski

Juniors
Yeah location is a factor but you are implying it is the only factor.

11 teams were shut down across a two year period yet for some reason you have some weird focus on one location.
So his theory is that no club can survive in a location that had a club that got dumped. So we're left with Townsville, Canberra, Melbourne and NZ.
What a visionary.

mongoose

Coach
Yeah that’s a lie

They had higher home attendances than Penrith and Hunter in Super League. Higher average attendances than the Hunter, Gold Coast, Illawarra, Souths, South Queensland, St George and Wests across both competitions.

You could just put it down to the Super League War and attendances dropping massively across the board (for good reason) or you could just talk out of your a*** again.
Pippen making shit up? Never!

Canard

Immortal
You miss one major point, the Warriors and Cowboys were not majority owned by News Ltd either.
The Cowboys were solely owned by News Ltd for years. And went broke, as did the Warriors.

Both had to rely on bailouts to survive.

The Broncos have been balls deep in News Ltd for eons.

Colk

First Grade
Lowest overall attendance. What I wrote is correct. Superleague paying for travel also shoots down that bs excuse also..

No you weren’t right. You clearly weren’t right.

Your statement was that they had the lowest average attendance in 1997 - notice how you didn’t state a particular competition as you are now claiming. You stated lowest in 1997.

I have shown you 7 clubs that were lower than them.

At this point in time, your post failed and everything you are writing is just a distraction. Put up or shut up.

Pippen94

First Grade
No you weren’t right. You clearly weren’t right.

Your statement was that they had the lowest average attendance in 1997 - notice how you didn’t state a particular competition as you are now claiming. You stated lowest in 1997.

I have shown you 7 clubs that were lower than them.

At this point in time, your post failed and everything you are writing is just a distraction. Put up or shut up.

I claimed they were last: they were second last by 79 fans
You guys claimed their crowds were decent.

Yeah, ur running distraction

Pippen94

First Grade
The Cowboys were solely owned by News Ltd for years. And went broke, as did the Warriors.

Both had to rely on bailouts to survive.

The Broncos have been balls deep in News Ltd for eons.

This contradicts others on ur side saying Perth disappeared because they were news & cows & warriors were not. All excuses. All bs..

Colk

First Grade
I claimed they were last: they were second last by 79 fans
You guys claimed their crowds were decent.

Yeah, ur running distraction

I didn’t say that their crowds were decent. In fact you’re welcome to find a post where I actually said that. I would say that if you look at the table crowds were s***overall in that year. That’s a thing called context - you can look that word up.

Again, you didn’t say Super League. You said last in 1997. I can bring that post back up if you like. Not my fault you can’t write.

Also, lastly why not use 1995 or 1996? Or would that not suit your argument further?

It's just a simplistic view to have for people who don't really get professional team sports. The Storm have enjoyed some benefits and possibly some unfair advantages (salary cap cheating was completely wrong) but they signed a great coach which they got lucky with cause the Raiders stupidly turned him down in 2002. They poached some gun juniors from Brisbane but they still had to give these players a lot of coaching and development. Only dumbs shits think an NRL player is a finished product when they are 17. The Storm obviously have a great front office and work ethic within the club, this wasn't given to them by News or anyone. The club could have fallen into oblivion after News pulled out but they didn't, they built up their membership and sponsors and even rebuilt the team after the big 3 retired and won another premiership.

Now I feel dirty for giving that club so much praise but you're an idiot thinking the people at the club have had no role in their success.

You're arguing that News Ltd didn't provide the Storm with a front office?

Melbourne Storm were created by John Ribot, you f**ken idiot!

Remember him?

He worked for News Ltd and ran Super League.

Their first CEO was John Ribot's mate from the Broncos, Chris Johns.

A landmark moment saw the first Melbourne-based professional rugby league Club formed. This came after a significant push from former Super League boss John Ribot who founded the Victorian Club and brought Chris Johns on board as inaugural CEO.

Ribot then set about signing premiership-winning coach Chris Anderson from the Bulldogs before the pair turned their attention to the playing squad.

Ribot, Johns and Anderson worked with News Ltd's Super League. It's no coincidence they ended up in Melbourne.

The Storm have new owners following the sale by media outlet News Corp. The financial depth of the new owners is unknown, and only time will tell if they can make the highly successful football club a financial success. The Storm has been overspending to the tune of between $2 million and $5 million for 15 years. This shortfall has been financed by News Ltd and the amount spent by the club does not seem to be falling since the salary cap scandal in 2010.

The Storm football club spends about $20 million a year, or about $2-$4 million more than most other clubs except for the wealthy Broncos. The new consortium of owners, led by New Zealander Bart Campbell, are projecting the club will break even in five years, which is a long time to be losing money. The Storm has risen to the top of the competition by overspending; if the club has to curtail its expenses it is very difficult to see the performance on the field continuing, placing greater financial stress on the group.

News Ltd were taking $8m out of the game and investing it in the Storm:

News Ltd's three NRL clubs

THE $8 million News Ltd draws annually from the NRL is returned to the code via its ownership of the Melbourne Storm.

The grand finalists made a loss of $6m last year and invested a further $2m in development of the game in Victoria.

However, News Ltd's other two clubs - Broncos and Cowboys - now make a profit.

The publicly listed Broncos, owned 67 per cent by News Ltd, made profits of $2.2m and $2.3m the past two years, with minimal support from their profitable licensed club.

The Storm were funded for another 5 years after News Ltd sold the club. I think the sum was $30n, or close to it. To argue they rebuilt the club without assistance is bullshit.

Pippen94

First Grade
I didn’t say that their crowds were decent. In fact you’re welcome to find a post where I actually said that. I would say that if you look at the table crowds were s***overall in that year. That’s a thing called context - you can look that word up.

Again, you didn’t say Super League. You said last in 1997. I can bring that post back up if you like. Not my fault you can’t write.

Also, lastly why not use 1995 or 1996? Or would that not suit your argument further?

Typical catty comment from you, ignoring matter at hand. Reds crowds were poor.

As were a dozen other clubs. Heard of SL war lol?

but irrelevant to where we are 30 years later. 43k last year for nrl games, we got this,

It was a double header and heavily promoted. Great crowd, nonetheless.

A rich city like Perth shouldn't have a rectangular stadium that's so dumpy. The eastern stand is fine, but the southern stand needs a roof. Ditto for the northern stand. The western stand needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. And FFS, put a decent veneer on the exterior so it doesn't look bare bones. It's a dump like Ballymore and QEII Stadium.

MugaB

Coach
so did Souths, Norths and Brisbane 2... we should kick souths and dolphins out really, they will fail again
Cant kick em out ...we just have them a licences, if we a seriously considering perth then theyll get one too, if were not then they dont, there no more "kick outs"