What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

MugaB

Coach
No you weren’t right. You clearly weren’t right.

Your statement was that they had the lowest average attendance in 1997 - notice how you didn’t state a particular competition as you are now claiming. You stated lowest in 1997.

I have shown you 7 clubs that were lower than them.

At this point in time, your post failed and everything you are writing is just a distraction. Put up or shut up.
Hold on, not that i care if pips statement is solid, but those clubs you listed all disolved aswell (barr the St.merger) so there is a correlation

MugaB

Coach
I didn’t say that their crowds were decent. In fact you’re welcome to find a post where I actually said that. I would say that if you look at the table crowds were s***overall in that year. That’s a thing called context - you can look that word up.

Again, you didn’t say Super League. You said last in 1997. I can bring that post back up if you like. Not my fault you can’t write.

Also, lastly why not use 1995 or 1996? Or would that not suit your argument further?
Were SL paying for the travel of the away teams vs Reds in 95, 96?
Then 1997 is that reason,
sorry im not hounding you colk, just trying to view the statements from both sides..
Im of the belief that SL wasn't going to harbour multiple franchisees that weren’t in heartland areas,
They could however pool into one or 2, and so they could have easily culled all those clubs to have a perth reds team but instead they did it for a brand new storm team, they obviously felt that that location would suit them better, probably end up more cost effective, and tap into a market that was as big or close to Sydney, rather than perth who was only 1m at the time, and playing on a cricket field..
Times have changed people, we have a rectangular stadium there now, and travel is built into the competition as a line item, there is now no cost base or crowd attendance reason to reject an area, like Perth or Adelaide or Central Coast etc,
Its now all about how well they can keep up with the existing 17 franchisees on field, and not be a pool draining presence

Canard

Immortal
This contradicts others on ur side saying Perth disappeared because they were news & cows & warriors were not. All excuses. All bs..
So you got called out for posting incorrect facts again, and this is your response?

You're a child? Or a redact?

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
So you got called out for posting incorrect facts again, and this is your response?

You're a child

Deflection, straw man, ad hominem..

Reds were a failure. Crowds were poor. Superleague was paying for travel in 1997 so can't use that excuse. You won't debate any of this lol..

Maximus

Coach
Keep up, colk never mentioned penrith

Probably best to check your facts before telling someone to "keep up"

Yeah that’s a lie

They had higher home attendances than Penrith and Hunter in Super League. Higher average attendances than the Hunter, Gold Coast, Illawarra, Souths, South Queensland, St George and Wests across both competitions.

You could just put it down to the Super League War and attendances dropping massively across the board (for good reason) or you could just talk out of your a*** again.

mongoose

Coach
You're arguing that News Ltd didn't provide the Storm with a front office?

Melbourne Storm were created by John Ribot, you f**ken idiot!

Remember him?

He worked for News Ltd and ran Super League.

Their first CEO was John Ribot's mate from the Broncos, Chris Johns.

A landmark moment saw the first Melbourne-based professional rugby league Club formed. This came after a significant push from former Super League boss John Ribot who founded the Victorian Club and brought Chris Johns on board as inaugural CEO.​
Ribot then set about signing premiership-winning coach Chris Anderson from the Bulldogs before the pair turned their attention to the playing squad.​

Ribot, Johns and Anderson worked with News Ltd's Super League. It's no coincidence they ended up in Melbourne.

The Storm have new owners following the sale by media outlet News Corp. The financial depth of the new owners is unknown, and only time will tell if they can make the highly successful football club a financial success. The Storm has been overspending to the tune of between $2 million and $5 million for 15 years. This shortfall has been financed by News Ltd and the amount spent by the club does not seem to be falling since the salary cap scandal in 2010.​
The Storm football club spends about $20 million a year, or about $2-$4 million more than most other clubs except for the wealthy Broncos. The new consortium of owners, led by New Zealander Bart Campbell, are projecting the club will break even in five years, which is a long time to be losing money. The Storm has risen to the top of the competition by overspending; if the club has to curtail its expenses it is very difficult to see the performance on the field continuing, placing greater financial stress on the group.​

News Ltd were taking $8m out of the game and investing it in the Storm:

News Ltd's three NRL clubs
THE $8 million News Ltd draws annually from the NRL is returned to the code via its ownership of the Melbourne Storm.​
The grand finalists made a loss of $6m last year and invested a further $2m in development of the game in Victoria.​
However, News Ltd's other two clubs - Broncos and Cowboys - now make a profit.​
The publicly listed Broncos, owned 67 per cent by News Ltd, made profits of $2.2m and $2.3m the past two years, with minimal support from their profitable licensed club.​

The Storm were funded for another 5 years after News Ltd sold the club. I think the sum was $30n, or close to it. To argue they rebuilt the club without assistance is bullshit.
So you're attacking the Storm for being backed by News and then post an article which incriminates the Broncos and Cowboys aswell

by the way, can you maybe dig up articles that are less than 10 years old? these are from 2013 and 2007

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was a double header and heavily promoted. Great crowd, nonetheless.

A rich city like Perth shouldn't have a rectangular stadium that's so dumpy. The eastern stand is fine, but the southern stand needs a roof. Ditto for the northern stand. The western stand needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. And FFS, put a decent veneer on the exterior so it doesn't look bare bones. It's a dump like Ballymore and QEII Stadium.
It shows the potential. Realising that potential will require an nrl license and a well run club.

no arguments from me but until we have rectangular sports clubs that justify that level of govt spend it is what it is. Hopefully if nrl is serious about perth then that is one of the non negotiables they are asking the wa govt for.

the southern stand is designed for addition of an a
extra 1000 seats and a roof adding. The main priority is anew western main corporate stand. North stand can stay as is for now,
I like the novelty of the shed end. Another $120-150mill should do it.

to call it a dump when it’s already had $150mill spent on it is laughable and shows your ignorance. It’s fine for what it needs to be now, provides undercover seating for most and generates a great atmosphere when over half full. Come and see for yourself one day lol

Pippen94

First Grade
It shows the potential. Realising that potential will require an nrl license and a well run club.

no arguments from me but until we have rectangular sports clubs that justify that level of govt spend it is what it is. Hopefully if nrl is serious about perth then that is one of the non negotiables they are asking the wa govt for.

the southern stand is designed for addition of an a
extra 1000 seats and a roof adding. The main priority is anew western main corporate stand. North stand can stay as is for now,
I like the novelty of the shed end. Another $120-150mill should do it.

to call it a dump when it’s already had $150mill spent on it is laughable and shows your ignorance. It’s fine for what it needs to be now, provides undercover seating for most and generates a great atmosphere when over half full. Come and see for yourself one day lol

Same strategy failed in 1997. Call twiggy instead..

Pippen94

First Grade
Hold on, not that i care if pips statement is solid, but those clubs you listed all disolved aswell (barr the St.merger) so there is a correlation

I said reds had lowest average attendance in superleague. I was wrong; mariners were lower by 80 fans per game. They picked up on this to deflect from talk how bad reds crowds were.

Colk

First Grade
I said reds had lowest average attendance in superleague. I was wrong; mariners were lower by 80 fans per game. They picked up on this to deflect from talk how bad reds crowds were.

No you didn’t. You said they were the lowest in 1997 - you didn’t mention Super League until people pulled you up.

Pippen94

First Grade
Strawman. Ad hominem.

They were a failure. Everything else you post is a distraction

Ad hominem is personal attack like calling somebody a child - u only do that when ur losing an argument.

Straw man is extrapolating someone's argument like when donkey said storm were a failure at player development & ur gang responded with: "how call u call a multiple premiership team a failure?!"

Deflection is talking superleague vs Arl attendance when the issue is how bad reds crowds were..

Colk

First Grade
Ad hominem is personal attack like calling somebody a child - u only do that when ur losing an argument.

Straw man is extrapolating someone's argument like when donkey said storm were a failure at player development & ur gang responded with: "how call u call a multiple premiership team a failure?!"

Deflection is talking superleague vs Arl attendance when the issue is how bad reds crowds were..

I know what they mean d******. I am having a go at you.