What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

ReddFelon

Juniors
Just no. Rugby are making juniors sign contracts to not play league. 16 year old kids should not have to make those decisions. Yes we have players that jumper back and forth between the codes and don't seem to have a loyalty to either .... but lets not pretend we are friends or either will "help" each other out.
Who? What amateur clubs are making 16 year olds sign illegal contracts that are in contradiction of the RugbyWA charter?

Perth Red

Post Whore
True, unions biggest threat is league. If perth gets an nrl club then union know they are going to struggle to match that opportunity and retain the best 17 year olds, even with twiggys backing.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The largest obstacle for Perth as team 18 is NZ2. Plenty of talent over there, plenty not keen on willowing in the AB system for years, and the potential for an NZ derby is all good points. Both 'bids' have great timezone potential as well.

I think Perth's rekindling will be from a relocation. Highly doubt the NRL ever goes back to 20 teams, although that would suit everyone fine (Perth, NZ2, Adelaide).

Perth Red

Post Whore
The largest obstacle for Perth as team 18 is NZ2. Plenty of talent over there, plenty not keen on willowing in the AB system for years, and the potential for an NZ derby is all good points. Both 'bids' have great timezone potential as well.

I think Perth's rekindling will be from a relocation. Highly doubt the NRL ever goes back to 20 teams, although that would suit everyone fine (Perth, NZ2, Adelaide).
There’ll never be a relocation, so if that’s what you’re hoping then kiss goodbye to the nrl ever being a national Australia footy competition

Colk

First Grade

I could see 20 teams. Not for a while BTW but I could still see it.

Colk

First Grade
I don’t know if there will be a relocation but it should be on the table.

I would like to see the terms of this perpetual licence the NRL were offering. Is it a perpetual licence for the brand or for the club? Take my team the Raiders for example. Does that mean that there has to be a licence with a Raiders brand or does it include the geographical location?

If it’s the former it’s not a terrible idea and it could lead to a relocation. If it’s the latter then it’s a terrible idea and a real money pit for the nrl. There is already a couple of clubs in Sydney who would benefit from a relocation

Perth Red

Post Whore
The perpetual license would be for the club owner I’d suggest, it will have a null and void clause if they went bust and couldn’t keep operating. The nrl want it so that the clubs can’t hold them over a barrel with threat of breakaway every time club grant negotiations take place. No club is relocating unless they go bust, and there’s no sign any club is going to go bust. Even then I can’t see Vlandys supporting the loss of sydney “tribalism” lol

MugaB

Coach
The perpetual license would be for the club owner I’d suggest, it will have a null and void clause if they went bust and couldn’t keep operating. The nrl want it so that the clubs can’t hold them over a barrel with threat of breakaway every time club grant negotiations take place. No club is relocating unless they go bust, and there’s no sign any club is going to go bust. Even then I can’t see Vlandys supporting the loss of sydney “tribalism” lol
If anything pushing a case for relocation towards Perth or the West Coast bids will solidify an option for the NRL, even if they get pressure to other solid bids from around other areas around aus ond the pacific, making them not only stronger as a bid, but a better chance to get a 1st grade side playing in WA

Colk

First Grade
You could leave it on the table at the very least (Perth, Adelaide etc). If a club goes bust the licence can go to that area. The only problem with this is that you are potentially good options that may already exist in those areas

MugaB

Coach
You could leave it on the table at the very least (Perth, Adelaide etc). If a club goes bust the licence can go to that area. The only problem with this is that you are potentially good options that may already exist in those areas
Haha In Perth and Adelaide.... who?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If there is all these investors willing to back a team in perth then there would be no need for a relocation, that should be saved for a city that doesn’t have owners lined up ready to go.

jim_57

Staff member
If there is all these investors willing to back a team in perth then there would be no need for a relocation, that should be saved for a city that doesn’t have owners lined up ready to go.

I’m sure if NRL put the word out there could be a combining of the bids as well like we saw with Jets/Bombers. Even something left field like Bears partnering with one of them I’ve said before wouldn’t be the worst, especially if V’Landys is still in charge when the time comes.

Relocation probably won’t happen even with large money on the table but it wouldn’t hurt for the NRL to put a large price on Adelaide or Christchurch/Wellington/Auckland. Smaller offer on Central Coast & CQ.

Colk

First Grade
Good call on the relocation options. I think CC is only a relocation option - you shouldn’t put another club. Adelaide would work as a relocation option. I would be interested if you really think 2nd NZ or CQ side could work as a relocation side. Those areas are not huge (CQ in particular) and already have some league support in those areas so would they prefer their own side (btw I don’t think CQ is big enough for their own team)

jim_57

Staff member
Good call on the relocation options. I think CC is only a relocation option - you shouldn’t put another club. Adelaide would work as a relocation option. I would be interested if you really think 2nd NZ or CQ side could work as a relocation side. Those areas are not huge (CQ in particular) and already have some league support in those areas so would they prefer their own side (btw I don’t think CQ is big enough for their own team)

I’m not an expert on NZ but I don’t think there would be enough deep ingrained biases that a relocated club couldn’t work in Christchurch or Wellington, Auckland may be a bit different.

A full or part relocation to Central Coast is probably the best to hope for them, like you said I don’t see who misses out for them to have a stand alone new team.

CQ I think a club may be able to make it work if that was their choice but the NRL should have far more money on the table for other options like NZ & Adelaide. CQ isn’t really big enough, it may be able to just sustain a club but there are plenty of better options.

mongoose

Coach
I can't see any team ever relocating to CQ... Mackay is half the size of Townsville (which is already small) and Rockhampton isn't an appealing place imo. It's a rough agricultural town which still has a 1950s feel about it, like Ipswich I guess but much more remote.

jim_57

Staff member
I can't see any team ever relocating to CQ... Mackay is half the size of Townsville (which is already small) and Rockhampton isn't an appealing place imo. It's a rough agricultural town which still has a 1950s feel about it, like Ipswich I guess but much more remote.

Yeh if Rockhampton was twice the size it may be a chance but the population isn’t there even if you throw in surrounding areas. Mackay I’d consider North Queensland more than CQ and Cowboys have a very strong following there already and lots of fans road trip up to Townsville for games during the year.

I’m sure if NRL put the word out there could be a combining of the bids as well like we saw with Jets/Bombers. Even something left field like Bears partnering with one of them I’ve said before wouldn’t be the worst, especially if V’Landys is still in charge when the time comes.

Relocation probably won’t happen even with large money on the table but it wouldn’t hurt for the NRL to put a large price on Adelaide or Christchurch/Wellington/Auckland. Smaller offer on Central Coast & CQ.
What if Ipswich Jets tried to enter the NRL as the Western Jets, based full-time out of Perth?

The team could have a feeder club arrangement with Ipswich, which has a strong rugby league competition of its own, to provide players for the NRL team.

Western Jets, based out of Perth, would probably have more corporate support than a team based out of Ipswich.

Nuke

Staff member
What if Ipswich Jets tried to enter the NRL as the Western Jets, based full-time out of Perth?

The team could have a feeder club arrangement with Ipswich, which has a strong rugby league competition of its own, to provide players for the NRL team.

Western Jets, based out of Perth, would probably have more corporate support than a team based out of Ipswich.
But then Ipswich still won't have a team in the NRL ... which would be their main goal for doing it I'd suggest.

The West Coast Pirates could relocate their bid location to Port Moresby, become the PNG Pirates, but that won't make any of us in WA all warm and fuzzy just because the team exists.

I know what you're saying, but I can't see them being happy at the idea.

Latest posts