What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

docbrown

Coach
You could schedule three on Friday night and three on Sunday each week with two FTA doubleheaders and the third match on Fox. That would allow a fixed draw where six out of nine matches were available for selection by FTA each week. Which network gets which matches wouldn't need to be decided until two to three weeks out. Fox still gets an exclusive lock on three matches each week allowing them a chance to get some of the best matches and FTA has the flexibility to pick and choose matches based on how teams are progressing throughout the season. All within a fixed draw.

Leigh.

Well I don't know about airing three games on a Friday simply because it's creating self competition. This is the problem AFL faces with competing time slots and something our game has largely not had to face.

For each team to have 5 locked in home games with 18 teams that's 90 total.

For the first 20 rounds if you were to lock in:
* 1 x weekly 7:30pm Friday F2A game - 26
* 1 x weekly 7:30pm Saturday Fox game - 26
* 1 x weekly 2:00pm Sunday F2A game - 26
* 8 more foxtel games - 8 (if I had my way these would include a few Sunday night games where Monday is a holiday)
* games on public holidays like Easter, Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday - 4

With 7:30pm Fridays, 7:30pm Saturdays & Sunday arvo then you still still have 3 others games in that period in which to schedule other floating games.

_Johnsy

Referee
I don't get your logic. Are you saying that Sydney NRL supporters won't tune in because their team is playing a QLD team?

That would mean 150% of the games are for the non QLD market. You're off your head.

How can a game played in Sydney featuring Bulldogs v Titans be for the QLD market only.

FMD it's like I am talking to brick walls.

If the Titans V Bulldogs game is beamed live into QLD, and not into NSW it is for the QLD market only.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This latest Brisbane bid is going to make Ipswich really have to lift their game if they are going to better them. Sounds like some serious heavyweight corporates behind Brisbane2 and comparing, it is hard to see where Ipswich are ahead even though the other bid is only just announced.

Goddo

Bench
I think its good that there is a bit of competition. It will push these bids to be the best possible.

Central Coast are up the creek now though. If it was a premiership they are March champions.

The NRL will call for bids late this year, once the IC is well and truely running and have advanced discussions with broadcasters for the next TV deal. TV money and location will dictate where expansion occurs, not fans of a particular club that no longer exists.

docbrown

Coach
FMD it's like I am talking to brick walls.

If the Titans V Bulldogs game is beamed live into QLD, and not into NSW it is for the QLD market only.

?

I've already said that on Fridays both games should be aired on both a main & digital channel as more viewers tune in at 7:30pm. And besides it also gets repeated at 9:30pm.

So in NSW you would have:

Friday 7:30pm on 9 - Rabbitohs vs Eels
Friday 7:30pm on Gem - Titans vs Bulldogs
Friday 9:30pm on 9 - Titans vs Bulldogs
Friday 9:30pm on Gem - Rabbitohs vs Eels

The 9th game - the game that we've been talking about on Sundays - well both games are live, one at 2pm the other at 4pm or at 3:30pm on a slight delay. Both states get the same game at the same time.

It's not like they're only going to air that game in QLD and nowhere else.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
I think it's clear this will come down to the NRL picking 2 out of Bears/WA/Brisbane2. I think the Ipswich bid should do itself a favour and die quietly. I just don't see them being considered seriously when they're not even the best bid in their state, let alone the best bid in the country.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think it's clear this will come down to the NRL picking 2 out of Bears/WA/Brisbane2. I think the Ipswich bid should do itself a favour and die quietly. I just don't see them being considered seriously when they're not even the best bid in their state, let alone the best bid in the country.
If only the troll would take its own advice.

_Johnsy

Referee
?

I've already said that on Fridays both games should be aired on both a main & digital channel as more viewers tune in at 7:30pm. And besides it also gets repeated at 9:30pm.

So in NSW you would have:

Friday 7:30pm on 9 - Rabbitohs vs Eels
Friday 7:30pm on Gem - Titans vs Bulldogs
Friday 9:30pm on 9 - Titans vs Bulldogs
Friday 9:30pm on Gem - Rabbitohs vs Eels

The 9th game - the game that we've been talking about on Sundays - well both games are live, one at 2pm the other at 4pm or at 3:30pm on a slight delay. Both states get the same game at the same time.

It's not like they're only going to air that game in QLD and nowhere else.

If you had bothered to actually read my earlier posts, I clearly stated that one FTA friday night game live into QLD, the other live into NSW. The same would be for the sunday games.

Therefore two of the games are purely for the QLD market, as they are televised live to that market. The other two are for the NSW market as they are televised live into NSW.

This is where it is clear and simple to see that 2 of the 4 FTA games are for the QLD market, ie. 50% of FTA games.

docbrown

Coach
If you had bothered to actually read my earlier posts, I clearly stated that one FTA friday night game live into QLD, the other live into NSW. The same would be for the sunday games.

Therefore two of the games are purely for the QLD market, as they are televised live to that market. The other two are for the NSW market as they are televised live into NSW.

This is where it is clear and simple to see that 2 of the 4 FTA games are for the QLD market, ie. 50% of FTA games.

Mate Fridays would be in the least the same as it currently is. My suggestion is that the free to air network provider show BOTH 7:30pm games live - with the NSW focused game on the main and the QLD focused game on digital. Then at 9:30pm swap them.

So no - on Fridays both games could be seen in NSW live at 7:30pm.

As for Sundays, it's not like Fridays at all because they're on at different times. As I have said numerous times - and Gallop himself mentioned in his address last year - is that the Sunday games would be like at 12pm or 6pm (Fox), 2pm (F2A) & 4pm (F2A).

So on Sundays NSW & QLD get the exact same back to back live content at the same time.

_Johnsy

Referee
Mate Fridays would be in the least the same as it currently is. My suggestion is that the free to air network provider show BOTH 7:30pm games live - with the NSW focused game on the main and the QLD focused game on digital. Then at 9:30pm swap them.

So no - on Fridays both games could be seen in NSW live at 7:30pm.

As for Sundays, it's not like Fridays at all because they're on at different times. As I have said numerous times - and Gallop himself mentioned in his address last year - is that the Sunday games would be like at 12pm or 6pm (Fox), 2pm (F2A) & 4pm (F2A).

So on Sundays NSW & QLD get the exact same back to back live content at the same time.

I understand that, however the misunderstanding is that i was referring to is that both Sunday games being broadcast at the same time (same as current Fri nights), where as you are saying both games are broadcast live in both states.

Glad thats cleared up :sarcasm:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-low-flying-jets/story-e6frep5x-1225998320805
Ipswich officials confused by Brisbane NRL bid team's message but are committed to low-profile approach

* February 02, 2011 12:00AM

IPSWICH officials chasing the right to form the next NRL club are "totally confused" by the messages sent by their arch rivals in Brisbane.

The Ipswich Jets are jostling with bids from Brisbane, Central Queensland, the NSW Central Coast and Perth for the right to host the next NRL side, which could debut as soon as 2013.

The bid by a group of leading Brisbane businessmen to host the second team has gained huge publicity since it was revealed in The Courier-Mail last week but Jets chairman and bid team leader Steve Johnson believes Ipswich has lost nothing by being lower-profile.

"I am totally confused about their bid," Johnson said.

"Day one they were northside, now they are southside. They were going to get Wayne Bennett as a coach and now they are chasing Mal Meninga. They called it the Battle for Brisbane now they don't want to battle the Broncos."

Johnson sees the key difference between his and the Brisbane bid is that Ipswich, backed by the local Jets club, would be community owned. Brisbane, by contrast, would be owned by a cartel of wealthy businessmen.

"Their model is very different to ours," Johnson said.

"They have come up with a proposal that suits their needs. Our fundamental thought is that with (television rights) money coming into the game, does rugby league need persons in the game to profit from it or does it need people in it for the good of the game?

"Their fundamental objective will be to generate a profit for their shareholders. Ours is a community-based club where every cent will be put back in to the game.

"Obviously with private ownership you get that bit of financial certainty at the start but with investors, when they put their hands in their pockets, where do you go?"

"The good thing about their bid is that they have generated a lot of public interest, which is one of the cornerstones of the expansion of the game.

"It's all healthy competition. If a game decides to expand, having a competing bid will make us work harder."

Brisbane have already spoken to Reds rugby union star Quade Cooper and have their sights set on other big names but Ipswich are refusing to make any moves on the player front until their fate is known.

"If you start looking there you are looking past yourself," Johnson said.

"You have to get a licence first. If you make up a wish list of players you are getting far too ahead of yourself.

"The best players may not be the best player for the club you are going to build. It is great to get fabulous rugby league players but you don't want fabulous rugby league players who are not going to fit your culture.

"Get your structure in place first. We don't see ourselves as competitors with the Broncos or the Titans. If we don't complement those clubs then we won't benefit the game and shouldn't be there."

ratsack2

Juniors
in all honesty Brisbane could easily support 2 news teams, I would support an Ipswiched based team but there is no way I would support a 2nd Brisbane side

Quidgybo

Bench
in all honesty Brisbane could easily support 2 news teams, I would support an Ipswiched based team but there is no way I would support a 2nd Brisbane side
Of course it could support 2 new teams. The question is whether placing the next two licenses introduced in that region in the exact same place (stadium) as an existing license is the wisest strategy for the long term. As I've argued continually here I think a wiser course is to place new teams in areas that don't have existing teams (ie. Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba/Ipswich) and use Suncorp as a hub for the big derby games between these teams.

Leigh

Last edited: