What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Goddo

Bench
I only wonder how they plan to take in all of the area. The mechanisms of it will be interesting.

I guess they will play out of Springfield, halfway between Ipswich and Logan, maybe train in Ipswich, and have a QRL Cup team based in Toowoomba and/or Logan, then have community engagement in all three communities?

I think they could do 2 QRL Cup feeder teams, the Broncos seem to manage having 3 alright.

And whats doing with the Brisbane Easts bid... interesting times.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players have to travel all the way to Brisbane? geez the hardship!

Bid looks alot stronger encompassing a wider area rather than just Ipswich. Where's the logo?

AuDragon

Juniors
When did Logan, to the south east of Brisbane become the Western corridor?
When you're looking at a map, the N should point up. ;-)
You're probably confused with Loganlea...

The catchment area of this bid is more realistically situated in the triangle between Logan, Warwick and Dalby, which is already a good 2,5 hours drive from Ipswich.
Arguing the extra distance to Brisbane from Roma is a bit silly when you're looking at 440 vs 470 Km's...

Nonetheless, good ideas to use the Jets colours and shift the focus to a “Western Corridor”, which certainly will increase the bid’s support and success chances.

No matter what, the next 2 teams should be the WA Reds and a SEQ team. That is by far the most sensible, logical and financially sane decision for the game.

Smiley

Bench
Any links to this new logo the story mentions???

http://westerncorridornrlbid.com.au/

sllfz6.png

Last edited:

Smiley

Bench
http://www.wintv.com.au/national/news/item/41476/

Western Corridor NRL Bid

The Western Corridor bid team was in town overnight to inform local rugby league delegates what role they play in their quest to become the next club accepted into the NRL.

The Western Corridor represents the entire area from Logan through Ipswich, the Lockyer Valley and Toowoomba and the Darling Downs.

And the bid team headed by chairman Steve Johnson
and consultant Brian Canavan, originally from the Downs, see our area as a valuable asset in their bid.

The biggest plus for rugby league in the region is the Western Corridor wants the Clydesdales in the Queensland Cup to be one of their feeder teams into the NRL.

Then in turn the TRL competition becomes a feeder base for the Clydesdales Q Cup team.

If the bid is successful its expected to have a massive benefit to the sport in the region, a boost we badly need according to TRL chairman Greg McIntyre.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/about_council/media/view_release/?action=viewMediaRelease&id=3126

Ipswich throws it weight behind NRL bid for western corridor

IPSWICH City Council has thrown its weight behind a bid for a National Rugby League team to be established in the western corridor out of Brisbane.

Council today offered its full support to the Western Corridor National Rugby League Bid Team for the bid for a National Rugby League Team to be based in Ipswich.
Mayor Paul Pisasale, a long time supporter of rugby league in Ipswich is excited at the prospect of establishing an Ipswich based team to play in the national competition.

"Ipswich is the natural choice for a new NRL team and I believe we will be able to establish ourselves in the competition in no time.

"We have great support from other local Council areas in the western corridor and I would welcome the opportunity to help a new development team in Ipswich, the fastest growing city in Australia."
Parks Sport and Recreation Committee Chairperson, Councillor David Morrisonsaid the NRL was currently planning an expansion to allow for a renegotiation of broadcast rights in the 2011 season which will mean the addition of at least two new clubs and Ipswich is ideally suited for one of these.

"There has been a strong push, led by Ipswich Jets for one of these licenses to be issued to a newly created community based Ipswich entity to enable a team to be based in the Western Corridor competing in the NRL.

"It is proposed that the team will be supported through a feeder club arrangement with Intrust Super Cup Clubs the Ipswich Jets, Wynnum Seagulls and South Logan Magpies."

Cr Morrison said a large amount of background work has been undertaken to facilitate the bid, including the completion of a feasibility stage Business Plan, securing of ambassadors and formal and informal discussions with the NRL and other NRL clubs with positive results.

"The next stage in the bid process is the development of a detailed strategic plan, business plan, financial model and football operations module."

One question, how can this bid have feeder cup arrangement with Wynnum Seagulls and Souths Logan Magpies when the Broncos have a feeder arrangement with Wynnum already and Brisbane 2 NRL bid is looking at Redlands (Wynnum) and Davies Park (Souths) as headquarter grounds. Further more since when is Wynnum or Souths part of the western corridor? Do these Queensland bids know how to read a map?

Good on them though for finally launching their bid. It's been a long time between media releases for this bid. Central Queensland and Brisbane 2 surely would have passed them by now?

Goddo

Bench
Go blow a bear. Canberra, Manly, Melbourne (Perth) all have feeder clubs in far flung locations.

Even your beloved North Sydney are a feeder to Souths...

The QRL Clubs are desperate to be that feeder club as there will be huge benefits if there is another NRL club in SE Queensland.

EDIT: and with regards to the Broncos/Wynnum, its an agreement that can expire. Each party can make whatever arangements it likes.

All of SE Queensland can't simply be feeders to the Broncos.

Last edited:
Go blow a bear. Canberra, Manly, Melbourne (Perth) all have feeder clubs in far flung locations.

Even your beloved North Sydney are a feeder to Souths...

The QRL Clubs are desperate to be that feeder club as there will be huge benefits if there is another NRL club in SE Queensland.

EDIT: and with regards to the Broncos/Wynnum, its an agreement that can expire. Each party can make whatever arangements it likes.

All of SE Queensland can't simply be feeders to the Broncos.

You're a turnip mate, i asked a simple question and you turn around and throw back baloney. Im not having a go at the bid, just asking questions seeing my family comes from where this bid is supposedly based. Of course I understand that feeder cup arrangements can end but the question was more aimed at location and community region. I don't understand how they would go for Wynnum when there are clearly other Q-Cup teams closer to their proposed location. If you take Souths/Wynnum for Western Corridor and you take Easts/Redcliffe for Brisbane 2, then what does that leave Brisbane Broncos? Norths and that's it? Wouldn't Ipswich be better off bringing back Toowoomba and Wests to add to Jets as their feeder.. leaving Wynnum, Norths, Redcliffe for Broncos and Easts, Souths for Brisbane 2?

Better yet wouldn't Brisbane 2 and Western Corridor be better off merging their bids? Ipswich doesn't have the corporate clout, which means they'll be competing with Brisbane 2 and Brisbane Broncos for sponsors. Where as a combined bid would surely raise eyebrows, even from the most diehard of Bears supporters like myself.

Last edited:

Pigskin

Juniors
QCup teams change their feeder status or allegiances to NRL clubs so often its crazy

If the Brothers/Easts team got their shit together, I'd have to jump on ... love my Tigers and it would be seeya Broncs !

Oh the irony if I had to start spouting the positives of such a bid ... would be fun to finally drive Bears fans crazy with incessant biased non-sensical dribble.

Meteor's as per the logo above is pretty cool. Not sure how it could work with Western Corridor Meteor's, but I like the Meteor's part.

Oink !

Goddo

Bench
Bne 2 and Ipswich-Logan won't merge, nor should they - they offer very different models for an NRL licence. The more bids there are the more bleeding obvious it looks that there ain't enough SE Qld clubs currently.

otori

Juniors
First Wynnum isn't a part of the Redlands. It's close to it but it's a Brisbane City Council suburb

I think it's great these guys have put this together in the way they have and identified the right areas. I'm excited about the Clydesdales involvement. I'd personally be behind this bid calling themselves the Western Corridor Clydesdales. I know that'd mean two horse logos in the same area but itd be awesome to have that similarity yet difference. It'd also be symbolic with the underdogs, hard working horses from the country verses the flash, pretty boys from the city. Thoughts?

First Wynnum isn't a part of the Redlands. It's close to it but it's a Brisbane City Council suburb

I think it's great these guys have put this together in the way they have and identified the right areas. I'm excited about the Clydesdales involvement. I'd personally be behind this bid calling themselves the Western Corridor Clydesdales. I know that'd mean two horse logos in the same area but itd be awesome to have that similarity yet difference. It'd also be symbolic with the underdogs, hard working horses from the country verses the flash, pretty boys from the city. Thoughts?

Clydesdales are too close to Broncos.. have an identity that is completely different to any current NRL team, especially teams which are just around the corner. I have to say though, that due to the fact I grew up in this region and that it's model is better then the original one proposed last year. I support Central Coast Bears, Western Corridor & Western Australia Reds for 2013 - 2016.

Last edited:
What about Perth and the TV money?

I'd have 3 teams come in to satisfy everyone between 2013-2016. Then introduced the 20th team at the 2017 TV rights negotiations.

2013 - Central Coast Bears (no one can deny they aren't ready)
2014 - Western Australia Reds (ditto)
2016 - Ipswich (no more teams named West please)
--
2017/8 - Wellington

I'm sure at least one current team will fall between now and then. Relocation becomes important to preserve the brand.

smithie

Juniors
So what the hell is this team going to be called?

The Western Corridor of South-East Queensland plus Logan even though they are east of Brisbane Jets.

A second Brisbane team is much simpler and anyone in the greater Brisbane area can support them, not just those in the west.

Latest posts