What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

flippikat

Bench
Canavan wrote the western corridor's business plan last year before severing ties with the club, but he has now formally agreed to be their inaugural CEO.

Canavan will not assume duties at the expansion team until they are formally admitted to the NRL.

Canavan is employed by the ARL Commission as a special projects co-ordinator and said he was solely focused on that role.

Hang on - he works for the Commission co-ordinating 'Special Projects', but he's been lined up as CEO *IF* WC get admitted??

Does anyone know exactly what falls under 'Special Projects', and if expansion could be part of it?

He's got to be careful there.. the potential for conflict of interest is huge.

Goddo

Bench
South Queensland is the best name for it, by far. Maybe not the Crushers though.

A good solid animal name relevant to the area or Australia.
I've always liked Ipswich-Logan (or South Queensland) Valleys, with a kookaburra logo.

Theres all the ipswich, toowomba and lockyer valleys. Makes sense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do they have Wombats out that way? Always thought any team called the Wombats is going to get the neutrals support!

Perth Red

Post Whore
wombats_logo

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Do they have Wombats out that way? Always thought any team called the Wombats is going to get the neutrals support!

South Queensland is the best name for it, by far. Maybe not the Crushers though.

A good solid animal name relevant to the area or Australia.

Koalas are very common in parts of Brisbane but I'm not sure how common they are out west + the Reds use it.
I really, really like using Kookaburras but South Queensland Kookaburras might be too much of a mouthful for some.

I like South Queensland Rangers. Play on ranges which ties in with the Granite Belt and have a stockman+akubra outline as the logo.
Sth Qld Raptors and have an Eagle as the moniker?

My fav is still Jets because of the airbase (will be the biggest in the country) and the new fleet of F35's which'll be coming in around the time of their first season in the NRL. Can't see it happening though.

flippikat

Bench

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Too long! ok if they use SQ Kookaburra's I suppose but the Kookaburras are a well recognised Asutralian international team already.

How about SQ Harriers? Has both an aircraft link and also there is a couple of types of birds of prey in the area that are in the Harrier family?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Harrier

Pretty sure that the Rivercity Kookaburras was right up there as 2nd most popular when the Bombers choose their name, the public likes Kookaburras I guess and it is really underused + they are common in SEQ.

Also to be fair we have some long names in the game already. North Queensland Cowboys, St George Illawarra Dragons, New Zealand Warriors, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, etc. It'd get abbreviated to Sth Qld/Kookaburras/Burras pretty quickly.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Wonder if the enlightened CC-hating citizens of LU will question whether this is an Ipswich bid or a Brisbane bid or a Toowoomba bid. How dare they be based in one place and draw fans from others! After all, can;t have your cake and eat it too.

The difference is though that Bears fans stamp their feet and say that "we are not another Sydney team".

How can this be when 70% of their proposed catchment area is in Sydney?

No one is going to deny that Ipswich/Sth Qld/Brisbane 2 is going to be a team that will be drawing fans from the Brisbane area - there must be a few hundred thousand or so that dont like the Broncos like the rest of the country.

bobmar28

Bench
I have been waiting for some thing to happen with this bid and it looks like it finally is. I'm sure they have been working behind the scenes.