What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

adamkungl

Immortal
Bombers wanker said:
"Ipswich's heartland is Kevin Walters and Allan Langer (Broncos legends) territory, why would you put an NRL team there when the majority of the Broncos fan base is already in Ipswich.

Derp. Why would you put an NRL team in Brisbane when most of the Broncos fan base is already there...

Goddo

Bench
Derp. Why would you put an NRL team in Brisbane when most of the Broncos fan base is already there...
lol he left himself open with a lot of his comments. WC didn't bite too much though really.

Much of what he said was a general "I don't like competition" whinge.

docbrown

Coach
I'd like to see a debate between all the bids. Think it could build a great rivalry between whichever clubs get in first.

It would make for good passionate television.

In fact all the constant talk about expansion is good for the image of the game during broadcast negotiations. To actually have people from all over the country clamouring for inclusion highlights the game's popularity.

Karl

Juniors
Seems like a losing argument to say Ipswich won't work because they support the Broncos and then push the Bombers with it sitting right smack in the middle of Brisbane, right smack on top of the Bronco's. Not unexpected that the rival bids will have a ready to release to the media view that positions their bid as stronger than their opposition's though. And they seem to be playing it pretty straight with each other right now, sticking to issues that are at least relevant to the bids - certainly more so than the Politicians...

Knightmare

Coach
I don't think anyone but Bears clowns could deny there needs to be another Brisbane side. Surely the IC will agree that a new club must be established there. The problem is we have rival bids, neither of which are likely to provide the correct model. As funny as it seems the AFL's method of moving in and dictating terms on its new franchises to best suit its overall strategy, as deluded as it is, is probably the best approach. The big difference here is that Brisbane people will actually welcome a new team and it won't require millions from the governing body. If the IC did this systematically and intelligently and if Gallop wasn't such a useless merkin the way to do it would be to decide that Brisbane needs a new team (that's the easy bit), decide what that team should represent, where it should be based etc and then work with the people interested in being involved in a new team and the existing local clubs and governing bodies to formulate a model that best suits the game as a whole. Picking a bid and waiting for them to make all these decisions on their own will not serve the game's purposes very well.

I think there should be another Brisbane team, but not right now, and not of the current bids.

joshreading

Staff member
It would be as has previously been stated fairly easy for the ARLC to say, we want a team here, we want grassroots connections, we want clear corporate, community and government support'. If someone can provide exactly what we are after you are in.

Broader NRL strategy and Vision is needed (yes I know, dirty word since Super League but get over it)

paulmac

Juniors
If the Jets do get the gig I hope they wear the Newtown jersey when they play in Sydney would give the club a bit of history and allow old bluebags supporters a chance to reconnect with a club.

joshreading

Staff member
If the Jets do get the gig I hope they wear the Newtown jersey when they play in Sydney would give the club a bit of history and allow old bluebags supporters a chance to reconnect with a club.

I think the Bid has already said the name will not be the Jets as they try to distance themselves from a Ipswich centred bid and make it a broader "western corridor" bid

Smiley

Bench
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2012/02/22/yeswecan-backers-in-for-nrl-bid/

Backers in for NRL bid

THE WESTERN Corridor NRL bid is set to attract major corporate sponsorship should it win a licence for the 2015 season, with giant home-builder Sekisui House keen to come on board.

Knockers of the Western Corridor bid have said the bid will not be able to attract the necessary corporate backing to sustain an NRL club, but Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale has rubbished those claims.

Cr Pisasale, the NRL bid patron, made the point that the bid won't just be attracting backers from the Ipswich area, but will source support from far and wide.

"What the people from Brisbane (Bombers) don't understand is that this is the fastest-growing area in the country, and they don't realise that we have the largest house builder in the world on board in Sekisui House," he said.

"They don't realise what Mirvac, Stockland and Orion are doing out here either.

"The distance between Ipswich and Brisbane is 40 minutes. I am sitting here right now in a meeting with five Brisbane corporate backers and they would much rather be part of a Western Corridor bid because that is where their customers are.

"I'll also be meeting with another four or five more over the next month.

"Just take a look at John Gambaro. He has the number one restaurant in Brisbane - Gambaro's - and when he did a fundraiser he did it for the mayor's community fund in Ipswich.

"I am not the bid patron for nothing.

"I will be playing a major role to make sure that everyone who supports the bid will get my support and the city's support.

"But asides from all that, we have got the fan base. We have never said that we are going to build a stadium.

"We are going to use Suncorp Stadium. We are going to bring the fans. "All the Brisbane bid will do is split the fans.

"If we play a game we are going to get 20,000 to 30,000 there because we will draw in Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba and that whole corridor."

Western Corridor bid chairman Steve Johnson said Cr Pisasale was "the ace up our sleeve" when it comes to attracting corporate support.

"People underestimate the fact that we are the only bid with local government support," Johnson said.

"By the time we present our bid I hope to have letters from Logan City Council, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Scenic Rim and Lockyer Valley; all saying that they support our bid.

"Look at the companies that have relocated to Ipswich, and most of those are because of Paul Pisasale's energy. People underestimate the number of national companies that are in our back yard now."

One of the earliest occasions NRL boss David Gallop mentioned the next round of expansion was several years ago after a tour of Ipswich with Cr Pisasale.

"He said, 'One thing to remember Paul is that we have got to go where the fish are biting'," Cr Pisasale said.

"Well, the fish are everywhere and jumping all over the place in Ipswich.

"This is a rugby league region. While the city of Ipswich is going to play a major role, we are making it a Western Corridor bid.

"It takes in all the way to Brisbane and out west to Toowoomba and beyond."

Good to see this bid is continuing to build unlike the Bombers.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n-canavan-as-ceo/story-e6frep5x-1226277460903
Western corridor NRL bid team hires Brian Canavan as CEO

THE western corridor NRL bid team has hired a CEO, securing former Sydney Roosters chief Brian Canavan.

Canavan wrote the western corridor's business plan last year before severing ties with the club, but he has now formally agreed to be their inaugural CEO.

Canavan will not assume duties at the expansion team until they are formally admitted to the NRL.

Canavan is employed by the ARL Commission as a special projects co-ordinator and said he was solely focused on that role.

It is expected two new NRL teams will enter the competition in 2015 with the Ipswich based western corridor bid and a Perth bid favourites.

"If and when the corridor bid is granted a licence I will begin the CEO role but I am currently happily engaged under the ARLC and that is my focus," Canavan said.

"The opportunity to build a club from the ground up will be something special and it's a role that really excites me.

"This bid will be fantastic for rugby league in general as well as the corridor.

"I am from the region and I know how much good it will do for an area that is rapidly growing."

Canavan was born and raised in the heart of the western corridor, the Darling Downs.

Gaining his signature is a coup for the club because of his vast administrative experience.

Canavan worked with Roosters supremo and multi-millionaire Nick Politis for a decade.

He was the Roosters football manager for several years before becoming their CEO in 2003.

He left that position in 2008 and has since become a rugby league analyst for hire.

In 2010, Canavan was commissioned to write a report analysing the decline of the NSW State of Origin team.

His paper saw Ricky Stuart become the NSW coach.

Western corridor bid chairman Steve Johnson said Canavan along with the late Arthur Beetson had shaped the bid's not-for-profit strategy.

"Brian has worked in Sydney and understands what happens when young kids are taken away from their support network to play footy," Johnson said.

"He gets what we are trying to do here."

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
"By the time we present our bid I hope to have letters from Logan City Council, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Scenic Rim and Lockyer Valley; all saying that they support our bid.

This is a huge area just for anyone non-Queenslanders wondering. T’ba is a decent way away from the city (1hr + drive) and is on the eastern edge of the Darling Downs. The Scenic Rim council goes right down to the NSW border too.

Just makes me wonder what they will be calling themselves. They’ve said it won’t be Ipswich. Western Corridor is too generic surely and Western Brisbane is not who they’re targeting. South Queensland making a comeback?

adamkungl

Immortal
South Queensland is the best name for it, by far. Maybe not the Crushers though.

A good solid animal name relevant to the area or Australia.

BuffaloRules

Coach
THE western corridor NRL bid team has hired a CEO, securing former Sydney Roosters chief Brian Canavan.

Canavan wrote the western corridor's business plan last year before severing ties with the club, but he has now formally agreed to be their inaugural CEO.

Canavan will not assume duties at the expansion team until they are formally admitted to the NRL.

Canavan is employed by the ARL Commission as a special projects co-ordinator and said he was solely focused on that role.

I find this an interesting development.

He should have plenty of opportunity to push the bid to the ARL Commission.

docbrown

Coach
Yeah I suspect South Queensland which is what it probably should be.

Are there any other location names that they could that cover all that?

(Bit like Newcastle and Hunter are a bit interchangeable)

Perth Red

Post Whore
"What the people from Brisbane (Bombers) don't understand is that this is the fastest-growing area in the country

is there any area that hasn't laid claim to this? :)
"People underestimate the fact that we are the only bid with local government support," Johnson said.

I see your local government and raise it to our State Government support!

Not much conflict of interest then?

Good to see the WC bid announcing some things. Not sure trumpeting the point you are 40 mins away from Brisbane and should be seen a seperate and then in the next breath saying you will be playing at Suncorp is that good a move though?

adamkungl

Immortal
Good to see the WC bid announcing some things. Not sure trumpeting the point you are 40 mins away from Brisbane and should be seen a seperate and then in the next breath saying you will be playing at Suncorp is that good a move though?

Wonder if the enlightened CC-hating citizens of LU will question whether this is an Ipswich bid or a Brisbane bid or a Toowoomba bid. How dare they be based in one place and draw fans from others! After all, can;t have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited: