What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Karl

Juniors
The Ipswich bid does make a lot of sense, and Steve Johnson is a smart, no BS type of bloke as well as a diehard Rugby League supporter. His association with the bid is a big plus in my view.

Spitty

Juniors
The QT understands that the Western Corridor bid team has supporters in both the commission and Channel Nine.

Yeah John Grant is from that region of Brisbane and Phil Gould promoted them last week after Panthers played a trial game there.

Some powerful figures, but I'm not sure that there support is unconditional and I'm sure one of those conditions is financial and Gus himself acknowledged that they have some financial hurdles to get over.

Even this media report talks about a hypothetical sponsor but unlike the other bids they don't have an actual sponsor to call on.

I'm still a fan of the idea of the bid, but for God's sake I wish they'd start to actually do something other than make big claims in media releases.

Goddo

Bench
Yeah John Grant is from that region of Brisbane and Phil Gould promoted them last week after Panthers played a trial game there.

Some powerful figures, but I'm not sure that there support is unconditional and I'm sure one of those conditions is financial and Gus himself acknowledged that they have some financial hurdles to get over.

Even this media report talks about a hypothetical sponsor but unlike the other bids they don't have an actual sponsor to call on.

I'm still a fan of the idea of the bid, but for God's sake I wish they'd start to actually do something other than make big claims in media releases.
Just because you don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is going on. This bid has kept its cards very close to its chest, more so than any other bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It could be the dark horse! They have been very very quiet, if that is due to inactivity or good politics we shall see. They really need to come up with some major sponsors and again showing that their fanbase will travel to games at Suncorp. The positive about them though is they are much more grounded in RL in Q'land and answer some of the critics who don't like the Bombers cloning model of the Broncos. Still not sure if that is a good or bad thing but I guess time will tell.

Goddo

Bench
It could be the dark horse! They have been very very quiet, if that is due to inactivity or good politics we shall see. They really need to come up with some major sponsors and again showing that their fanbase will travel to games at Suncorp. The positive about them though is they are much more grounded in RL in Q'land and answer some of the critics who don't like the Bombers cloning model of the Broncos. Still not sure if that is a good or bad thing but I guess time will tell.
Nah for mine the dark horse is Central Queensland. PNG (and the imaginary Wellington bid) won't get a look in. Expansion will be in Australia to balance the comp. its also where the money is.

Everyone is aware of the benefits of SE Queensland, but its a scrap as to which bid emerges at the top. The plight of the Bears is well documented, as is the potential for Perth.

But while those 4 bids bicker, CQ is the darkie which might sweep in and take the field, even with its tiny population. If that happened, I'd guess Perth would get the other spot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see CQ as being the upset rather than the dark horse! Odds are stacked against them but they are making a compelling case. Still can't see them getting in though. NRL wants to boost its metro share and CQ doesn't tick that box.

CQ Italia

Juniors
Nah for mine the dark horse is Central Queensland. PNG (and the imaginary Wellington bid) won't get a look in. Expansion will be in Australia to balance the comp. its also where the money is.

Everyone is aware of the benefits of SE Queensland, but its a scrap as to which bid emerges at the top. The plight of the Bears is well documented, as is the potential for Perth.

But while those 4 bids bicker, CQ is the darkie which might sweep in and take the field, even with its tiny population. If that happened, I'd guess Perth would get the other spot.
You never know with such a strong booming economies in a few bid areas, particularly CQ (for QLD bids). There could be few cards up the sleeves for the right time to play them so to speak

Goddo

Bench
If we were to frame a market, I'd probably have it something like:

Perth Reds: $3.20
Western Corridor: $5.80
Brisbane Bombers: $6.40
Central Coast Bears: $11
Central Queensland: $60
PNG: $101

I think the Reds are favourites. But there are now essentially two Perth bids, so that should be reflected. If we're counting two Brisbane bids there should be two Perth bids too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not yet, Sage hasn't officially launched a bid, he is interested and has met with Gallop but hasn't launched a bid. Reality is he has buckley's, offers nothing and damages grass roots RL, why would they?

Knightmare

Coach
I wonder what the odds are atm? Last time prices were listed, the Bears were at quite short odds.

There has been some positive spin re. the WC bid this past week, but the cynic in me can't help but think it's largely the Bears death-riders and the pro Qld cheersquad jumping ship from the Bombers with the realisation they are a long shot at being admitted to the NRL.

I don't think anyone but Bears clowns could deny there needs to be another Brisbane side. Surely the IC will agree that a new club must be established there. The problem is we have rival bids, neither of which are likely to provide the correct model. As funny as it seems the AFL's method of moving in and dictating terms on its new franchises to best suit its overall strategy, as deluded as it is, is probably the best approach. The big difference here is that Brisbane people will actually welcome a new team and it won't require millions from the governing body. If the IC did this systematically and intelligently and if Gallop wasn't such a useless merkin the way to do it would be to decide that Brisbane needs a new team (that's the easy bit), decide what that team should represent, where it should be based etc and then work with the people interested in being involved in a new team and the existing local clubs and governing bodies to formulate a model that best suits the game as a whole. Picking a bid and waiting for them to make all these decisions on their own will not serve the game's purposes very well.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I don't think anyone but Bears clowns could deny there needs to be another Brisbane side. Surely the IC will agree that a new club must be established there. The problem is we have rival bids, neither of which are likely to provide the correct model. As funny as it seems the AFL's method of moving in and dictating terms on its new franchises to best suit its overall strategy, as deluded as it is, is probably the best approach. The big difference here is that Brisbane people will actually welcome a new team and it won't require millions from the governing body. If the IC did this systematically and intelligently and if Gallop wasn't such a useless merkin the way to do it would be to decide that Brisbane needs a new team (that's the easy bit), decide what that team should represent, where it should be based etc and then work with the people interested in being involved in a new team and the existing local clubs and governing bodies to formulate a model that best suits the game as a whole. Picking a bid and waiting for them to make all these decisions on their own will not serve the game's purposes very well.

I agree with what you are saying, but to defend Gallop ( which I dont like doing), he and the NRL havent even called for bids, its just a case of the bid teams being proactive and getting on the front foot and putting forward bids anyway ( this is the strategy that was successful for the Titans after they were originally told not to bother as the NRL wasnt interested in expansion).

The whole issue does show a lack of leadership from the NRL however...

I'm not saying Gallop should be working on this now. I just mean he should be working on it when the time comes, except that he's useless and therefore it still might not work out for the best the way I imagine it. The problem with this process is that they are going to call for bids, look at them for six months or something and then pick one. But the best thing for the game might not be in one or any of the bids. It might be somewhere in between. In Brisbane's case I am saying it definitely is.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
I agree with what you are saying, but to defend Gallop ( which I dont like doing), he and the NRL havent even called for bids, its just a case of the bid teams being proactive and getting on the front foot and putting forward bids anyway ( this is the strategy that was successful for the Titans after they were originally told not to bother as the NRL wasnt interested in expansion).

The whole issue does show a lack of leadership from the NRL however...
The ARLC could very likely just say "we want clubs here and here, and we are going to work with any existing interests to develop what we want. So sorry to those in locations we aren't interested in, but the game needs what it needs".

Latest posts