What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

If the team is called anything that includes Ipswich in the title it will not get much support from Brisbane folk and will therefore struggle. It has to be South Queensland or something else with a broader appeal. Of course the real issue is that basing a team in Ipswich and not including large areas of Brisbane means it will struggle anyway.

joshreading

Staff member
The Western Corridor bid has already distanced itself from specifically Ipswich already and from the Jets as a moniker.

I think they should go something like SQ but make it clear that they are basing themselves in the western
area. Maybe names of areas in the logo or something. Obviously basing their training and development
squads out of that area.

Last edited:
The second team needs to represent the area south of the river dwon the GC and including the south west division of the QRL. That would most evently split the SEQ and Northern Rivers of NSW between the three clubs.

Something like this:

mapbris1.jpg

PS: I'm willing to take on the role of graphic artist for the new team...

Goddo

Bench
Another name I always liked for its simplicity is "South Brisbane".

Considering the club will be based in Springfield and aiming to represent the Ipswich-Logan area, the options really are

"Ipswich-Logan" - similar to Canterbury-Bankstown - representing a suburban belt
"South Brisbane" - deliberately geographically vague to suit all possibilities.
"South Queensland" - the most vague name of all.

As for mascots, they can go with an animal name (Kookaburras seems popular), a machine (Jets would be best but they have said no to that), a concept (eg Victory lol). But I really like the idea of being called "Valleys" - its distinct from anything else already in the NRL, it is relevant to the region the club aims to represent, its an historic Queensland RL name.

The club colours and logo could then be based around a Kookaburra - light blue, maroon and white.

South Brisbane Valleys, light blue, maroon and white with a Kookaburra logo. Nicknames could be "burras", "Valleys"...

Ipswich Bear Killers
I like it. With an elmer fudd logo. :lol:

Last edited:
Another name I always liked for its simplicity is "South Brisbane".

Considering the club will be based in Springfield and aiming to represent the Ipswich-Logan area, the options really are

"South Brisbane" - deliberately geographically vague to suit all possibilities.

What does Ipswich (west), Toowoomba (even more west) and Logan have to do with South Brisbane? It's like having a team in Penrith and calling them South Sydney.. The people of the Ipswich-Toowoomba region deserve their own name. Even if it's a geniused name like I.T.L. (Ipswich-Toowoomba-Logan) with a Hawks, Rangers/Ranges, Vipers, Diggers, Emu's etc.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I see your local government and raise it to our State Government support!
Likewise.

Local Governments that have publically supported CQ NRL BID. With various ones committing (5-6 figure) sponsorship/corporate support or donations. Gladstone Mayor became a corporate partner from her own pocket.

Rockhampton Regional Council
Gladstone Regional Council
Central Highlands Regional Council
Isaac Regional Council

Banana Shire Council
Bundaberg Regional Council
Mackay Regional Council
North Burnett Regional Council
Diamantina Shire Council
Blackall-Tambo Regional Council

State Government:
Both Labor and LNP have verbal and written committment/support

------
Like wise for Perth, CC and PNG. All have reasonable government support in place, not potential.

Goddo

Bench
What does Ipswich (west), Toowoomba (even more west) and Logan have to do with South Brisbane? It's like having a team in Penrith and calling them South Sydney.. The people of the Ipswich-Toowoomba region deserve their own name. Even if it's a geniused name like I.T.L. (Ipswich-Toowoomba-Logan) with a Hawks, Rangers/Ranges, Vipers, Diggers, Emu's etc.
:lol: You wouldn't agree with me if I said the sky was blue.

Springfield, where the club will train and play long term, is almost due south of Brisbane. Logan is more East than the city of Brisbane is.

Certainly isn't "western". Yes, Ipswich is to the South West, and Toowoomba is further in that direction. But THIS club (which those regions will be feeders for) isn't West. Its South.

Using the name "Brisbane" might be good a good "marketing" "branding" idea. More generic. So it isn't Southbank, but untwist your knickers.

:lol: You wouldn't agree with me if I said the sky was blue.

Springfield, where the club will train and play long term, is almost due south of Brisbane. Logan is more East than the city of Brisbane is.

Certainly isn't "western". Yes, Ipswich is to the South West, and Toowoomba is further in that direction. But THIS club (which those regions will be feeders for) isn't West. Its South.

Using the name "Brisbane" might be good a good "marketing" "branding" idea. More generic. So it isn't Southbank, but untwist your knickers.
This isn't about you, it's about the people from these area's is it not?

These regions aren't Brisbane and they pride themselves in that. Try telling Paul Pisasale (mayor of Ipswich and Ipswich NRL advocate) that they should name their would be franchise Brisbane. He'd tell you to get stuffed, as would locals of the regions.

If you want another Brisbane team then the Bombers are the bid, if you want a west of Brisbane team then this bid is the answer but it's still not Brisbane.

There's alot of hypocrisy in saying otherwise.

Goddo

Bench
Springfield -> South
Ipswich -> South West
Logan -> South East

This isn't about you, it's about the people from these area's is it not?

These regions aren't Brisbane and they pride themselves in that. Try telling Paul Pisasale (mayor of Ipswich and Ipswich NRL advocate) that they should name their would be franchise Brisbane. He'd tell you to get stuffed, as would locals of the regions.

If you want another Brisbane team then the Bombers are the bid, if you want a west of Brisbane team then this bid is the answer but it's still not Brisbane.

There's alot of hypocrisy in saying otherwise.
The Broncos draw support from Queensland cup clubs as far as central Queensland. That doesn't make them CQ. They are still in Red Hill. This club in Springfield is no different.

Yes, Ipswich sees itself as a seperate city. But how do you base a team in Springfield that taps into primarily Ipswich-Logan region (thats where the majority of the targeted supporters live)?

Its going to be a suburban belt club. Brisbane will grow south big time over the next 10-20 years. That is why Gallop has talked up the "Ipswich Logan corridor" in the past. The equivelant sort of belt to this club in Sydney would be a Penrith-Campbelltown outfit, set up in the 60s, but based halfway between the two.

So the clubs options are pretty much

Ipswich-Logan - my favourite, plainly states what the club is. Hyphen names are common in our game too. It doesn't entice non Broncos "Brisbane" fans though, especially with the name "Ipswich" in there

South Brisbane - deliberately more vague, geographically true of Springfield and drawing support from both east and west - Souths Logan and Ipswich would be main feeders. Uses the "Brisbane" name which would be important for marketing and sponsors. Would be less liked by Ipswich people though

South Queensland - my least favourite, extremely vague and kind of stupid considering there are already 2 south Queensland clubs

or you could go with something like

Valleys - completely vague.

The bid has a careful balancing act between maximising the brand/commercial support with maintaining a strong regional identity.

Generic vs Specific. South Brisbane/South Queensland vs Ipswich-Logan or some such.

docbrown

Coach
South Queensland might be vague but at least if you're outside Ipswich-Logan you're not put off by it.

I still say calling the team Ipswich anything is like getting the rest of Sydney to support a team called Penrith. In this case the bigger the location identifier, the better.

South Queensland might be vague but at least if you're outside Ipswich-Logan you're not put off by it.

I still say calling the team Ipswich anything is like getting the rest of Sydney to support a team called Penrith. In this case the bigger the location identifier, the better.
Exactly.

If they limit themselves to being an Ipswich/Logan (why these two areas are being mashed together I don't know) club they will not be a very big or successful club. They would be the little brother ..... to the Gold Coast!

Karl

Juniors
What about

The South-West [INSERT] -

South-West Stallions - be great for the local derby - Stallions v- Broncos

South-West Scorpions - not exactly loveable, but hey.

South-West Stingrays (if we'll kill Steve Irwin, whaddya think we'll do to you?)

South-West Spider-Pigs (Spider Pig, Spider Pig, friendly neighbourhood Spider-Pig, spins a web, no he can't 'cause he's well, just a Pig, look out..)

Goddo

Bench

Which is why I suggested South Brisbane would be a good halfway option between Ipswich-Logan and South Queensland. One is specific, the other vague.

Plus it would have the advantage of "Brisbane" in its name, which would be good for marketing/sponsorships.

I still think a specific regional name would be best - If Toowoomba is part of the clubs junior catchment it doesn't need representation in the name. It will still be the closest club geographically, and the club would still run clinics and player visits, and offer career pathways.

Plenty of current NRL teams have specific names but are active outside their name region - EG Newcastle streach all the way to Port Macquarie, Gold Coast stretches to Coffs Harbour, Canberra has the whole Riverina, Melbourne all of Victoria, et cetera. Warriors an entire country.

With the mascot, I hope to see something unique, original and relevant to the region. No random animals just for the sake of it. Has to mean something. The Best "Brands" in the NRL are ones that are completely driven by the region it represents -

Parramatta - "where the Eels lay down", Cumberland colours
Easts - c**k crowing in east, french colours from similar mascot
Souths - Red for redfern (waratah), green for local gov, rabbitoh for original players occupation
St George - Red and White Dragons. Red used is that of the Illawarra flame tree.
Penrith - Is the Panther real? Colours are a mess though
Cronulla - Beach -> Surf club colours -> Sharks

Ipswich-Logan Valleys - representing the river valleys of South-Western Queensland, colours including maroon for Queensland plus a couple of more specific ones based on the mascot chosen - light blue and white of a kookaburra would be a good choice.

or something like

South Brisbane Jets (not going to happen but) - Airforce base mascot, chose local colours. Maybe one colour from Ipswich LGA and another from Logan.

I don't know what it will be, but I hope it isn't a completely tacky marketing department name. Like Titans.

Last edited:
Sooooo are they from South Brisbane or Ipswich? Because they're not the same thing. And what valley is Logan in?

Just call them South Queensland FFS. And stick whatever nickname the public chooses on the end.

Karl

Juniors
I like South-West Stallions. SWS is good for the logo too. And the fact it's close to a Bronco is great for rivalry. Fighting horses are cool.

South-West where? Wherever you are matey! It covers Ipswich, Logan, Toowoomba etc etc.

Brisbane is South East Queensland. Let 'em have it. Claim the South-West.

Go West young man. Who wouldn't want to be a Stallion?