What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

The Great Dane

First Grade
I removed the part of your quote that went off topic. Gallop had the bid teams do research into expansion but the NRL partnership didn't commission any research on expansion.

If they do nothing until the review process begins in 2014 then expansion won't happen at all until 5 years. The fact that when this was put to John Grant he turned it down with a negative shows that they are looking at more mid-term situation than 5 years. Which will mean that ARLC will have to look into it before the official review process begins. To think that any professionally sporting organization will go into a review process with nothing is very silly and this organization (the ARLC) while still young has shown that it is very professional.

This ^^^.

They will have to do their research before the review, otherwise there's no new information on the subject and no point in doing a review because they will just come to the same conclusion as they did this year, that they don't have enough information and need to collect some more before they review expansion in two years time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I removed the part of your quote that went off topic. Gallop had the bid teams do research into expansion but the NRL partnership didn't commission any research on expansion.

If they do nothing until the review process begins in 2014 then expansion won't happen at all until 5 years. The fact that when this was put to John Grant he turned it down with a negative shows that they are looking at more mid-term situation than 5 years. Which will mean that ARLC will have to look into it before the official review process begins. To think that any professionally sporting organisation will go into a review process with nothing is very silly and this organisation (the ARLC) while still young has shown that it is very professional.

Not what he said, from the horses mouth he said the process will not begin until end of 2014 but the bid process could run concurrently with the viability research. meaning a decision could be made mid 2014 for a 2016/17 introduction (my take reading between the lines). That is the most likely scenario.

Of course they know when, where and who already. He made enough suggestive comments during his presentation to the WA stakeholders to suggest expansion will happen and they know where now but won't commit until they are more confident on the impact of the new money on existing broke arse clubs.

I many ways this is why I think they are being unfair and unethical in delaying it when they knew bids would continue to throw money at their cause and sign fans up to get behind them.

Clarke

Juniors
This ^^^.

They will have to do their research before the review, otherwise there's no new information on the subject and no point in doing a review because they will just come to the same conclusion as they did this year, that they don't have enough information and need to collect some more before they review expansion in two years time.

Exactly.

Garbler

Juniors
Caught a headline in a QLD paper today with Thurston apparently in favor of expansion with an Ipswich side. Anyone have the article transcript?

Garbler

Juniors
Cheers for the link. Western corridor bid makes a lot of sense to me, u would have all QLD neatly divided into south (titans), east (broncos), north (cowboys) and west (towoomba/ipswich/Logan).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interestingly in the article I posted in the Brothers thread the Ipswich Brothers club has signed up to the WC bid. Wonder who else they have lined up to support them?

Corridor bid director Steve Johnson said Brothers Ipswich, which own several fields beside their club house, would become their player academy if they were given an NRL licence.
"We have been aligned to Brothers Ipswich for some time now and see them as a great fit for our wish to provide kids in this region a chance to achieve their dreams," Johnson said.
Barlow said he was aware that Brothers Ipswich were aligned to the Western Corridor bid.
"That is their decision and I understand why they have done that because this bid was not around when that decision was made," Barlow said.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...um/story-e6frf3ou-1226632117744#ixzz2Rw7gqCCi

ash the bash

Juniors
He also adds that once Brothers Ipswich see the full corporation of the Brothers fraternity they may chance there minds. We should make a thread comparing the 3 South East Queensland Bids the pro's and cons. Sitting here so far I can see more value in a Brothers or Western Corridor bid than the Bombers personally.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He also adds that once Brothers Ipswich see the full corporation of the Brothers fraternity they may chance there minds. We should make a thread comparing the 3 South East Queensland Bids the pro's and cons. Sitting here so far I can see more value in a Brothers or Western Corridor bid than the Bombers personally.

I think everyone les the grass roots aspects if the WC and brothers bids but there has to be doubts over there corporate pulling power. The arlc are goi g to want to se

Perth Red

Post Whore

I think everyone likes the grass roots aspects if the WC and brothers bids but there has to be doubts over there corporate pulling power. The arlc are going to want to see some series corporate support and robust financial sustainability plan for the bid to be successful. This is where the money men behind the Bombers still have the lead from what we have seen.

Finances
Fans
Grass roots

Priorities in that order I reckon.

I think everyone likes the grass roots aspects if the WC and brothers bids but there has to be doubts over there corporate pulling power. The arlc are going to want to see some series corporate support and robust financial sustainability plan for the bid to be successful. This is where the money men behind the Bombers still have the lead from what we have seen.

Finances
Fans
Grass roots

What are finances if no one supports the club? It'll die quicker than it was conceived. Corporate support at the moment for these SEQLD bids is just handshakes, stickers on some merch and maybe an appearance here or there. WC won't have trouble pulling in business partners and corporate support, like wise Brothers who probably have a few multi millionaire former players out there. Bombers have no cash reserves contrary to what you've heard, it's all hearsay. Craig Davison lost his main man Rae, he was the one who could pull a big sponsor out of thin air.

WC has a huge area, juniors etc. much like CC. There are business opportunities for both local and other companies to get involved and in CC's case they already have.

Brothers has identity, like the Bears. Good old fashioned branding which spans decades.

CQ have initiatives, have rich backers.

What do Bombers have exactly? Smoke, mirrors and a lot of huff and puff. Go to Brisbane and ask around, no one cares.

gyallop

Juniors
Seriously who is going to pull the big corporates Paul Pisasale or Craig Davidson?
Corporates wont commit real cash till whether the game will expand but WC and Brothers will find it easier than Bombers I think

Diesel

Referee
These last 2 posts make a lot of sense. WC or Brothers are long term and grass roots clubs that can get the corporate dollars if required, the Bombers are just corporate and they may become the GWS Giants (fan wise) of the NRL and thats something the ARLC will concern them and will look at too

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade

Finances
Fans
Grass roots

I'm not so sure about that, correct me I'm wrong but aren't they yet to name any of this corporate support?

So far haven't they just said that they have promises (or whatever) of this support from various groups but they have not released any of the names of these groups and none of the groups have come forward and said that they are supporting the bid.

If what I said is the case then to me that says that either these so called backers/sponsors have very little faith in the Bombers, or that these backers don't really exist and the Bombers are trying to make out that they are hot property so to speak, to try and attract some real backers to jump on board and support them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not so sure about that, correct me I'm wrong but aren't they yet to name any of this corporate support?

So far haven't they just said that they have promises (or whatever) of this support from various groups but they have not released any of the names of these groups and none of the groups have come forward and said that they are supporting the bid.

If what I said is the case then to me that says that either these so called backers/sponsors have very little faith in the Bombers, or that these backers don't really exist and the Bombers are trying to make out that they are hot property so to speak, to try and attract some real backers to jump on board and support them.

Tbf every bid is in the same situation, including ours. I know we have a seven figure sponsor lined up but no way they will be named publicly until admitted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly. The NRL can ill afford the bad press if one of these expansion clubs fell over.

They need to get the balance right.

True, souths one of biggest fan bases yet pre rusty a financial basket case, raiders one of the smallest fan bases yet a financial powerhouse in the game allegedly.

Brisbane is interesting as it is very hard to gauge fan reaction as you can't just play a game and see how many turn up obviously.

I am guessing as the race hots up next year they will all launch memberships and then we may see who holds the cards.

gyallop

Juniors
Red that wont mean jack shit up here. Brisbane has the Broncos and we have had years of delay on expansion by the NRL so its hard to get passionate about a dream , Perth CC and CQ have nothing now so they can get a passionate about a dream. GC had little support till they had the licence it will be the same here but logically a grass roots based bid is 100 times more likely to get and sustain crowds than a bid about making money for a few blokes.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What have Ipswich revealed in terms of stadium strategy? Obviously Suncorp will play a part initially, but do they plan to have a stadium closer to their home base.

steeden.

Juniors
What have Ipswich revealed in terms of stadium strategy? Obviously Suncorp will play a part initially, but do they plan to have a stadium closer to their home base.

that would be their dream but there's no chance while Campbell is calling the shots

Latest posts