What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

The Great Dane

First Grade
When they brought in the dockers they went opposite to your first three suggestions and have done well against the might of the Eagles. A brisbane2 club will be in a very similar scenario. The NRL should take a close look at how the dockers have succeeded and model any new club on that model.

Yeah I agree, but they shouldn't just look at the Dockers but as many successful teams in similar situations to what Brisbane 2 will face and the Dockers did face as possible.

As for the list of suggestions in dcbrowns post, I really think that it depends on the area and a bit of luck whether or not things like the branding of a new club work in situations like the one in Brisbane.

I mean just take his third suggestion of "the widest market brand possible" sometimes that works perfectly and exactly how it was intended, but at the same time there's always the possibility of representing everybody and nobody all at the same time if you're trying to make a brand so broad that it represents a huge geographical area and an immensely diverse group of people.

Not saying that docbrowns suggestions are wrong, just that there are many ways to skin a cat and that even the best laid plans can go sour.

BTW, what would be wrong with calling the team something simple like South Western/West Brisbane whatevers or even just Western/West Brisbane whatevers? Seems as good a name as any to me.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
After spending some time recently in South Queensland, there is definitely a market and a need for another club. Positioning the club is of utmost importances though as to not take anything at all away from the Gold Coast. Ipswich is a great location and has my support now. They will have to be named something other than "Ipswich" to work. I don't have a problem if they play their first 2 years out of Suncorp but I think they will require their own stadium out west to ensure this venture will be as successful as possible.

Edit: The only other issue is that fact that Wellington might be, and perhaps so, a more attractive market for the game to move to over another South Queensland club. If that is the case, there is no room for an 19th club in 2018.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.qt.com.au/news/the-afls-loss-looks-set-to-be-a-massive-gain-for-t/2581435/

Ipswich Council will try to secure NRL in place of Lions
Joel Gould | 21st Mar 2015 5:00 AM

THE AFL's loss looks set to be a massive gain for the NRL and the Western Corridor bid team.

The Brisbane Lions have pulled out of their planned move to the state-of-the-art training and administration base in Springfield.

But Ipswich City Council, which owns the land where the site is based, is set to work with state and federal government and the Western Corridor NRL bid to base an elite team in the city.

Ipswich City Council's sports boss David Morrison spoke to his sport and recreation manager yesterday and said there was an opportunity to re-badge their funding applications for an NRL side that were already before government.

Council had applied for $10 million through the Queensland Government's Royalties to Regions Program and $10 million from the Australian Government's National Stronger Regions Fund.

Joint funding of $8.5 million from council and Springfield Land Corporation had been confirmed for the training base, which in stage one was to have cost $30 million.

The complete project was to cost $60 million.

Council has already spent $20 million on preparatory works for what was to have been the Centenary Sports Hub.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale is the Western Corridor NRL bid patron. He said AFL's loss could be the NRL's gain.

"I support all sports, but we are a rugby league city and my preference is to see the Western Corridor NRL team located there and we will now work towards that," he said.

Council's planning boss Paul Tully said the strength of rugby league in the western corridor made the Springfield location for an NRL side one council would support.

"A team based in the Western Corridor would gain the support of the regional councils of Scenic Rim, Lockyer, Somerset and up to Toowoomba, ," he said.

Western Corridor NRL bid chairman Steve Johnson said he first became aware the Lions had pulled out of Springfield in yesterday's QT.

"We are now excited about the opportunity to work towards building a world class facility for the rugby league community at Springfield," he said.

"We hope that will be in conjunction with the NRL, if they grant us a licence.

"It was originally the Western Corridor bid that fought to have the land correctly zoned and returned to council so it could be used for the greater good of the community.

"When the NRL stalled on expansion it was disappointing the AFL swooped on our parcel of land.

"We understand why Ipswich City Council had to work with the AFL, because at the time there was no definite expansion of rugby league and the council had to explore opportunities for the greater good of Ipswich to gain exposure for a national sport.

"We are just grateful the opportunity has been returned to us."

Mr Johnson said Ipswich council had shown it was "far and away the most innovative council in Australia".

"We've had a wonderful relationship with council through our dealings with the Ipswich Jets," he said.

"We are looking forward to working with them and convince the NRL that we not only have the demographic and playing talent to support an expanded side in the NRL, but we will also have the infrastructure needed for a team to be competitive at that elite level."

http://www.qt.com.au/news/neumann-a-key-man-in-nrl-quest/2581436/

Neumann a key man in NRL quest
Joel Gould | 21st Mar 2015 6:00 AM

THE Western Corridor NRL bid has an advocate in Canberra who will fight to get the funding to assist a permanent training base move to Springfield.

The former federal Labor Government committed and budgeted $15 million for the $30 million stage one of a $60 million project on the basis that the Lions would be moving their training and administration base there.

The Abbott Government scrapped the funds and the Lions this week confirmed they were now looking at two other sites.

But Labor's Blair MP Shayne Neumann is a rugby league tragic who has been a major advocate for the training and administration base project and for a new NRL side to be located in Ipswich.

"I have spoken to NRL CEO David Smith in Canberra about it recently and I have made speeches in parliament about it. I think it is high time we had an NRL team in Ipswich," he said.

Mr Neumann is a stats man and has the figures to back the Western Corridor NRL bid.

"One in seven Australians lives in south-east Queensland and in the next decade one in six will live here," he said.

"On top of that, 20% of the economic and employment growth in Australia has happened in south-east Queensland. South-east Queensland deserves and needs another team."

Mr Neumann said that Springfield was "a great location for an NRL training facility, with the connectivity with Logan as well as Ipswich, too".

ash the bash

Juniors
Great news, still not sold on the guys running the bid dho. Looking at the area through Google a lot of free space around wouldn't it be nice to have a 35k flat pack stadium near the train line with heaps of parking :) down the line.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Brothers Ipswich are already with WC bid, the Brothers bid tried to get them onboard theirs with no luck a while ago.

Ipswich Bros joined the WC bid before the Leprechauns was a solid prospect. Theyve said they will stay with the current lot, but would happily back the Brothers if they get the ticket.

Basically, they are backing every horse rather than jumping ship early and burning bridges. So dont read too much into that alliance

ash the bash

Juniors
Ipswich Bros joined the WC bid before the Leprechauns was a solid prospect. Theyve said they will stay with the current lot, but would happily back the Brothers if they get the ticket.

Basically, they are backing every horse rather than jumping ship early and burning bridges. So dont read too much into that alliance

Thats smart.

joshreading

Staff member
Why is it that the Western Corridor bid have not adopted an actual identity? There is nothing identity wise to get behind. A bid should be trying to build its brand already.

It has settled strongly on a grassroots element but at present feels too closely identified with Ipswich Jets (which alienates anyone outside of Ipswich)

Diesel

Referee
Base it on the old Newtown Jets jersey, play in blue and with white hoops on the arms in NSW and green and white in QLD and a mix as an away jersey for Storm, Warriors & Raiders

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It would be nice to see Newtowns gear back in the comp, but Qld isnt the place for it....

Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne2 would be better for bringing the Jets back. It would combine the "Old and New" of RL that Souths have perfected and most of the other teams are striving for.

(the difference for QLD is that they have their own RL history to draw from; an old BRL team would be infinitely better than an old NSWRL team....)

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
West corridor doesn't work well

West Brisbane or SW Queensland?

West Brisbane Braves and use the Apache helicopter as a logo?

or West Brisbane Browns (with Brown snake as logo)?