What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

alien

Referee
if the team is called west brisbane, or south brisbane, or ipswitch, etc, i am not sure it would have enough support to rival the broncos. if it is called south queensland it can be anyone's team from the sunshine coast down to the nsw border, who doesn't want to support the broncos or titans. they could even have trial matches on the sunshine coast and toowoomba. i think the mascot should be an animal that actually exists in australia (not including zoos). home games would be at suncorp though, so there is a game at suncorp every week during the season proper

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No teams ever name themselves after the most dominant species in the planet.
Brisbane Humans. Easy ;)

7678897422_11b824b264.jpg

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...based-in-ipswich/story-fni3fbgz-1227418637667

DUAL NRL and A-League expansion bid is being planned for Ipswich with FFA chief David Gallop stating the city deserves a 30,000 seat stadium.

The Sunday Mail can reveal there are advanced plans to create a share use training facility and stadium in the Ipswich region to house the proposed western corridor NRL and A-League expansion team.

Ipswich City Council has secured more than eight million dollars in grants to establish a training facility in Springfield that could house both codes in a dual-share agreement.
The Queensland government has also selected a site in nearby Ripley as a potential base for a rectangular stadium.

The training facility will be on the same land the Brisbane Lions abandoned 12 months ago when they baulked at moving west into the fastest growing region in Australia.

The Lions’ loss is the NRL and A-League’s gain.

Former NRL chief and current FFA boss Gallop told The Sunday Mail the Ipswich region was an ideal expansion base for the A-League and merging with an NRL club would help get it over the line.

Wade Graham has a weird night at the office

Gallop said if Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale and the state government could help fund a stadium it would become an automatic site for an A-League club.

“There is no doubt the corridor from Brisbane to Ipswich is fertile ground,” Gallop said.

“Expansion isn’t on our immediate agenda but we are interested in the huge potential and football family that can be tapped into in that area.

“A 30-35,000 seat stadium at Ipswich would make the argument difficult to knock back.

“The mayor is an old acquaintance of mine and a great advocate for Ipswich and the potential of the area to support a team in a national sporting competition.”

A combined NRL and A-League bid will dramatically cut costs on the projects.

Gallop cautioned that he remained unsure when the A-League would expand and had not spoken to NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson.

Richardson is on the record as believing in expansion, stating another team in south east Queensland is a must

insert.pause

First Grade
I don't see the need to join forces with a league, they are still competition for sponsors, why let them piggy back off the NRL?

alien

Referee
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...based-in-ipswich/story-fni3fbgz-1227418637667

DUAL NRL and A-League expansion bid is being planned for Ipswich with FFA chief David Gallop stating the city deserves a 30,000 seat stadium.

The Sunday Mail can reveal there are advanced plans to create a share use training facility and stadium in the Ipswich region to house the proposed western corridor NRL and A-League expansion team.

Ipswich City Council has secured more than eight million dollars in grants to establish a training facility in Springfield that could house both codes in a dual-share agreement.
The Queensland government has also selected a site in nearby Ripley as a potential base for a rectangular stadium.

The training facility will be on the same land the Brisbane Lions abandoned 12 months ago when they baulked at moving west into the fastest growing region in Australia.

The Lions? loss is the NRL and A-League?s gain.

Former NRL chief and current FFA boss Gallop told The Sunday Mail the Ipswich region was an ideal expansion base for the A-League and merging with an NRL club would help get it over the line.

Wade Graham has a weird night at the office

Gallop said if Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale and the state government could help fund a stadium it would become an automatic site for an A-League club.

?There is no doubt the corridor from Brisbane to Ipswich is fertile ground,? Gallop said.

?Expansion isn?t on our immediate agenda but we are interested in the huge potential and football family that can be tapped into in that area.

?A 30-35,000 seat stadium at Ipswich would make the argument difficult to knock back.

?The mayor is an old acquaintance of mine and a great advocate for Ipswich and the potential of the area to support a team in a national sporting competition.?

A combined NRL and A-League bid will dramatically cut costs on the projects.

Gallop cautioned that he remained unsure when the A-League would expand and had not spoken to NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson.

Richardson is on the record as believing in expansion, stating another team in south east Queensland is a must

sounds promising

CC_Roosters

First Grade
sounds promising

Indeed. 20 plus games at a new stadium is a much easier sell to locsl government than 11 or 12 of a sole NRL tennant. Its a region that deserves NRL representation and should be first in come expansion.

Hard to imagine an a league side being successful out there though, from my limited knowledge i dont think ipswich and surrounds has a history tied to the game like say parts of sydney, melbourne and newcastle although happy to be corrected on that.

Have the western corridor come up with any sort of name yet? I lime south queensland + moniker but that obviously has history attached to it already.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I don't see the need to join forces with a league, they are still competition for sponsors, why let them piggy back off the NRL?

It'd help with getting the thing built. The A-L team can sink or swim after that with no skin off the NRL's nose. Not like the government will knock it down. :)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Hard to imagine an a league side being successful out there though, from my limited knowledge i dont think ipswich and surrounds has a history tied to the game like say parts of sydney, melbourne and newcastle although happy to be corrected on that.

As I understand it, Brisbane Roar are the creation of the old Hollandia/Brisbane Lions club based out at Richlands, which is getting towards the vicinity of Ipswich.

So it would appear that Gallop's thought bubble would be encroaching on traditional Roar territory. Not that he is probably aware of such matters.

It is laughable though that he talks about expansion in SEQ when the Roar are teetering on the brink of collapse.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
As I understand it, Brisbane Roar are the creation of the old Hollandia/Brisbane Lions club based out at Richlands, which is getting towards the vicinity of Ipswich.

So it would appear that Gallop's thought bubble would be encroaching on traditional Roar territory. Not that he is probably aware of such matters.

It is laughable though that he talks about expansion in SEQ when the Roar are teetering on the brink of collapse.

It's pretty funny actually.

Like you say the Roar have history in Richlands but are moving into Perry Park. Whereas the Strikers (likely to be the 2nd Brisbane team) have history at Perry Park but are moving part of their operations to Logan.

All goes back to the decision to admit the Roar instead of the Strikers in the first season.

Latest posts