What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BuffaloRules

Coach
Look at this argument from some CC Bears supporter ( Beowulf) makes against the inclusion of the Ipswich Jets on the Roar.

Is there some fear starting to build up amongst the CC cheer squad?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/12/08/ipswich-step-up-nrl-bid/#more-38023

Lets look at the facts for a 2013 entry….
1. No bid details released yet for a Western Jets team, giving them 4 months to prove to the NRL they have massive community support – the only way you can do that is financial memberships.
2. Jets nickname has already been used in a major RL sporting competition in Australia – you might think its OK, but the establishment won’t.
3. Logan City residents will continue to support either Broncos or Titans….or split their support and weaken the 2 existing NRL franchises at a time when lots of new sporting teams have entered SEQ in the past 5-6 years. Toowoomba is too far away. The market is outer western Brisbane and those Brisbanites who hate the Broncos – lets be generous and call it 300,000.
4. News will almost certainly (if not already) have a caveat on their withdrawal from the NRL to protect their Broncos investment for xxxx (5, 10, 15??) years.
5. No threats of other codes in the area, hence no urgency.
All the above mean a team before around 2015/6 is almost impossible, and if the NRL want to maximise the TV deal, they need 2 teams in 2013. Only 2 teams can fulfil that start date criteria. Central Coast Bears and WA Reds.
So, while another SEQ side would be great for the league, it won’t be this model, this time….like CQ, we’re looking 5-10 years minimum.

Point 1 is irrelevant. A team could be set up in SEQ in 6 months if need be. Also 4 months - is the NRL deciding in March 2011 which two teams will be admitted? They wont even have confirmed they are expanding by then.

Point 2 - who would give a rats really? Also I'm sure another nickname could be found if need be.

Point 3 - The most laughable of all. Everbody on the CC is currently supporting another team already, and I'm yet to see one CC resident on this forum say that they are prepared to change teams to the Bears if they get in. Im all so told that a lot of people in Brisbane do not support the Broncos.

Point 4 - Lets wait and see. I doubt it actually.

Point 5 - What threats from other codes do the CC face? Please dont say the Giants as Blacktown is a long way from Gosford... At the time when the Gold Coast was admitted in 2007 the CC cheersquad spat the dummy and said that the Mariners were going to take over the CC

I've said it before but I'll say it again.

The introduction of the CC Bears will do next to nothing for the NRL TV money compared to a second Brisbane side.

By bringing in a third team in SEQ, you now have the opportunity to have a team from SEQ playing in 2 out of the 3 FTA games in Brisbane every weekend...

If the supporters of the CC cannot see what this means in extra money from TV channels in RL's second biggest market, then they really are having a lend....

applesauce

Bench
http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/12/09/springfield-nrl-side-stadium-proposal-home/

Some impressive junior numbers there.

Wonder if Maha Sinnathamby has anything to do with them being based in Springfield.

I have no doubt in years to come if they get in he will get a stadium built. He has a lot of pull with the government and developers, he has enough cash to do it himself.

I think the positioning of Springfield is a big plus too. Right inbetween Ipswich and Logan and 10-15mins from the South-South suburbs of Brisbane. Sorta takes Toowoomba/West Brisbane more out of the equation though.

Ipswich are on the up...

docbrown

Coach
I have no doubt in years to come if they get in he will get a stadium built. He has a lot of pull with the government and developers, he has enough cash to do it himself.

I think the positioning of Springfield is a big plus too. Right inbetween Ipswich and Logan and 10-15mins from the South-South suburbs of Brisbane. Sorta takes Toowoomba/West Brisbane more out of the equation though.

Ipswich are on the up...

Springfield is much better than Ipswich - problem though - nearest train station is 3km away and no rail between Springfield and Logan.

christopher

Juniors
ODDS- Next team to be in the NRL-
WA Reds $1.20
Ipswich Jets $1.85
Central Coast Bears $1.90
Central Queensland $2.00
PNG $1000

Should be interesting

hey mate, what site did you get those from?

checked the main site but they aren't offering a market.

roarr

Juniors
Surely they need a stadium before they are serious about entering. Sure for the broncs/cows/titans games suncorp will be awesome... but you cant have a "outer-western brisbane" team playing in the city centre every single home game. Especially for the fans past ipswich and all the way to toowoomba who they are proclaiming as in the catchment. These people wont go 2-3 hours to suncorp every week or two. They also need their own identity... suncorp is a broncos thing these days.
I doubt the qld gov would be willing to fork out for another 25-30 seater... but surely thats what is needed. The springfield idea has some merit. 3-4 years to set up infrastructure and get 100% ready... then i think they would be a pretty viable option. Not 2012/13.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Surely they need a stadium before they are serious about entering. Sure for the broncs/cows/titans games suncorp will be awesome... but you cant have a "outer-western brisbane" team playing in the city centre every single home game. Especially for the fans past ipswich and all the way to toowoomba who they are proclaiming as in the catchment. These people wont go 2-3 hours to suncorp every week or two. They also need their own identity... suncorp is a broncos thing these days.
I doubt the qld gov would be willing to fork out for another 25-30 seater... but surely thats what is needed. The springfield idea has some merit. 3-4 years to set up infrastructure and get 100% ready... then i think they would be a pretty viable option. Not 2012/13.

Why?
Titans didn't have a name, money, stadium - anything really.
But they won over Gosford stadium, CC bears with huge money backed by John Singleton.
All you need is a bloke who "gets on" with Gallop.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

People already drive from Rocky just to attend regular season Broncos games. The Cowboys support base covers a massive area too.

Lang Park is the premier stadium in Australia, they’d be mad not to use it.

Goddo

Bench

They want to build a 25k-ish stadium, but they may have to play the first couple of seasons at Suncorp. Broncos/Titans/Cowboys games are likely to be at Suncorp every year, and all others at the new venue.

Qld State Government has already pledged funding for it. They have also made a similar pledge for the Central Queensland bid.

One thing you have to remember with regards to Qld venues, they don't have that many stadiums currently, and the only ones that turn a profit are the RL grounds - the Gabba is run at a loss.

Edit: its chicken or the egg in regards to NRL licence vs existing stadium - you need a licence for the Qld Gov to build a stadium, and you need a stadium for the NRL to give you a licence. I think it will be fine - the Titans didn't have a proper home ground at first, but found a stop gap. The stop gap for the Ipswich Jets is Suncorp, the worlds best Rugby League ground.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
It's precisely like the world cup bid.
The best bid is irrelevant - like the Dolphins/Titans bid.

It's all about mates, backhanders and corruption - just as rugby league has been run for 100 years.

Define "best bid" for me Ronny.

For mine it would be the bids that add the most revenue to the game, and don't create over supply in the largest market, but hey, thats me (and the NRL clubs and most likely the soon to be in charge IC).

Goddo

Bench
Look at this argument from some CC Bears supporter ( Beowulf) makes against the inclusion of the Ipswich Jets on the Roar.

Is there some fear starting to build up amongst the CC cheer squad?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/12/08/ipswich-step-up-nrl-bid/#more-38023

Point 1 is irrelevant. A team could be set up in SEQ in 6 months if need be. Also 4 months - is the NRL deciding in March 2011 which two teams will be admitted? They wont even have confirmed they are expanding by then.
Very true.

The Jets financial model is being sorted now, they plan on releasing all the details including potential sponsorships very early into next year - can't remember exactly when but it will be around March.

The ARLC will be just sinking its teeth into the TV rights at this point. I don't think the timing is coincidental. The TV money from Perth will be huge due to Anti-Siphoning changes, and the money from a SE Qld side will also be huge due to the Qld market. If it comes down to money the Bears are up the creek without a paddle.

Couple that with a new stadium/training centre/possible leagues club and a new train line mean the infrastructure is all there. The Qld Gov would be right behind the bid, as a large social organisation for a big newish community in Springfield would be a big plus for the area.
Point 2 - who would give a rats really? Also I'm sure another nickname could be found if need be.
Exactly
Point 3 - The most laughable of all. Everbody on the CC is currently supporting another team already, and I'm yet to see one CC resident on this forum say that they are prepared to change teams to the Bears if they get in. Im all so told that a lot of people in Brisbane do not support the Broncos.
I know, but don't tell Timmah. They counter argue that fans will travel and go to away games there. But you only have to look at current Sydney teams and crowds to know this isn't true. Also, the Bears are part of Sydney when it suits them, but not when it doesn't.
Point 4 - Lets wait and see. I doubt it actually.
+1
Point 5 - What threats from other codes do the CC face? Please dont say the Giants as Blacktown is a long way from Gosford... At the time when the Gold Coast was admitted in 2007 the CC cheersquad spat the dummy and said that the Mariners were going to take over the CC
I agree. I think SE Qld's dominance is currently more threatened by 2 AFL clubs vs 2 NRL clubs. Logan would be roughly the geographic centre of a Brisbane/Gold Coast/Ipswich triangle securing the region permanently.
I've said it before but I'll say it again.

The introduction of the CC Bears will do next to nothing for the NRL TV money compared to a second Brisbane side.

By bringing in a third team in SEQ, you now have the opportunity to have a team from SEQ playing in 2 out of the 3 FTA games in Brisbane every weekend...

If the supporters of the CC cannot see what this means in extra money from TV channels in RL's second biggest market, then they really are having a lend....
Very true. I don't think its a case that CC fans can't see it, more that they are trying to ignore it because they are scared of the effect of TV money. Just look at Rockin Ronny's posts. They had a head start on other bids, but every day that passes they fall further behind.

Swamp

Juniors
I heard from a reliable source that the CEO's voted for WA & a fourth Qld team over CC. Like I said reliable source but can't give 100% certainty.

BDGS

Bench
I heard from a reliable source that the CEO's voted for WA & a fourth Qld team over CC. Like I said reliable source but can't give 100% certainty.

That was printed in the newspapers last week, but the Clubs CEO's won't have much of an effect on Expansion.

BDGS

Bench
Very true.

The ARLC will be just sinking its teeth into the TV rights at this point. I don't think the timing is coincidental. The TV money from Perth will be huge due to Anti-Siphoning changes, and the money from a SE Qld side will also be huge due to the Qld market. If it comes down to money the Bears are up the creek without a paddle.

The Central Coast Bears are unwritten for $10 million dollars (plus all the other money coming in from other sponsors) which was the last thing the NRL asked them to do. Money is not a problem for the bears as well as TV ratings? the bears were the second most watched team in the 1990s, plus now they will have more interest from the central coast.

WA Reds will be in to make the competition truly national and then the Bears will be put in as a safe expansion move which also will strangle GWS to death.

People are momentum and if the ccbears keep growing their memberships everyweek at an incredible rate then I fail to see how we are losing momentum. People trying to trash us and make us look scared?whatever. Whilst we haven't had many stories in the media recently that hasn't stopped us from getting to 4200 members with more drives today and this weekend. Whilst you all think we're losing steam, truth is our equity is going through the roof. And our center of excellence is being planned in the final stages. So think what you will people because your lack of knowledge is hilarious.

Losing momentum... Please.

BDGS

Bench
People are momentum and if the ccbears keep growing their memberships everyweek at an incredible rate then I fail to see how we are losing momentum. People trying to trash us and make us look scared?whatever. Whilst we haven't had many stories in the media recently that hasn't stopped us from getting to 4200 members with more drives today and this weekend. Whilst you all think we're losing steam, truth is our equity is going through the roof. And our center of excellence is being planned in the final stages. So think what you will people because your lack of knowledge is hilarious.

Losing momentum... Please.

That what i was thinking reading through this thread lol.

Obviously there isn't a member that updates the progress on the Bears on this site like there are on many other sites and people are just to lazy to search for themselves.