What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BuffaloRules

Coach
People are momentum and if the ccbears keep growing their memberships everyweek at an incredible rate then I fail to see how we are losing momentum. People trying to trash us and make us look scared?whatever. Whilst we haven't had many stories in the media recently that hasn't stopped us from getting to 4200 members with more drives today and this weekend. Whilst you all think we're losing steam, truth is our equity is going through the roof. And our center of excellence is being planned in the final stages. So think what you will people because your lack of knowledge is hilarious.

Losing momentum... Please.

Can you keep your cheerleading to the CC thread please.

The rest of us will discuss the merits of the Jets bid in this thread.

Thankyou.

BDGS

Bench
Can you keep your cheerleading to the CC thread please.

The rest of us will discuss the merits of the Jets bid in this thread.

Thankyou.

LOL classic example of control and exclusion. Keep your personal governance away from a open forum please, thanks.

PaulyTom

Juniors
ODDS- Next team to be in the NRL-
WA Reds $1.20
Ipswich Jets $1.85
Central Coast Bears $1.90
Central Queensland $2.00
PNG $1000

Should be interesting

If I was a betting agency these would be the odds. After closely scrutinizing all bids, the Central Coast bid has some legs-
WA Reds- $1.25
Central Coast Bears- $1.55
Ipswich Jets/2nd Brisbane team- $1.95
Central Queensland $1.95
PNG - $1000

I still find it hard to believe the NRL will give 2 licenses to start up in the same season. I think it will happen over a 2-4 year timeframe.

BuffaloRules

Coach
LOL classic example of control and exclusion. Keep your personal governance away from a open forum please, thanks.

Not really.

None of my argements from earlier today were specifically addressed.

If you only want to talk up the CC bears then there is a thread for it you know.

Swamp

Juniors
That was printed in the newspapers last week, but the Clubs CEO's won't have much of an effect on Expansion.
Apologies, I did read that story but thought it read that the Sydney clubs weren't too keen on CC.

BDGS

Bench
Not really.

None of my argements from earlier today were specifically addressed.

If you only want to talk up the CC bears then there is a thread for it you know.

But is people are putting the Bears done saying they're losing momentum then anyone with a opinion that differs to that should be allowed to challenge that comment in the thread of which it was made.

Apologies, I did read that story but thought it read that the Sydney clubs weren't too keen on CC.

There were a few going around. Last week i read about four:

1. Sydney Clubs don't want Bears
2. Qld clubs don't want another Qld club.
3. Clubs choose WA and Central Queensland
4. Ipswich and Central Queensland sure winners.

The list goes on and on. But no worries mate, it all adds to the discussion.

Goddo

Bench
The Central Coast Bears are unwritten for $10 million dollars (plus all the other money coming in from other sponsors) which was the last thing the NRL asked them to do. Money is not a problem for the bears as well as TV ratings? the bears were the second most watched team in the 1990s, plus now they will have more interest from the central coast.

WA Reds will be in to make the competition truly national and then the Bears will be put in as a safe expansion move which also will strangle GWS to death.

$10m is chicken feed if its just a one off on start up, compared to the potential of a 4th Qld side in terms of TV revenue.

The Sharkies had their debts cleared and $20m given to them post super league, and look where they are 12 years later.

Goddo

Bench
If I was a betting agency these would be the odds. After closely scrutinizing all bids, the Central Coast bid has some legs-
WA Reds- $1.25
Central Coast Bears- $1.55
Ipswich Jets/2nd Brisbane team- $1.95
Central Queensland $1.95
PNG - $1000

I still find it hard to believe the NRL will give 2 licenses to start up in the same season. I think it will happen over a 2-4 year timeframe.

I'd say its closer to:

Perth Reds - $1.30
Ipswich Jets - $1.75 - from $2.20 6 months ago
Central Coast Bears - $1.75 - from $1.50 6 months ago
Central Queensland - $4.00
PNG - $1000.00

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
lol @ ipswich being discussed as top 2 favourites, they never make any media and when they do they are only announcing nothing stories or stories to update you on a bid and so far all the updates are far behind every other serious bid.

Goddo

Bench
Where is the evidence of all the bucketloads of revenue Ipswich will provide that the Bears won't?

The fact they ain't based in NSW: they are more lucrative to TV broadcasts throughout queensland.

Google the populations of NSW and Queensland, and then google the ABS population projections for 5, 10, 30 years from now (by which there should be at least 5 qld teams), then come back and tell me that the Bears are a better option.

BDGS

Bench
$10m is chicken feed if its just a one off on start up, compared to the potential of a 4th Qld side in terms of TV revenue.

The Sharkies had their debts cleared and $20m given to them post super league, and look where they are 12 years later.

And the difference there is the management structure and business structure. The Bears have been working with the NRL on creating a Business structure that both brings success and a structure in which the NRL prefer.

You can't start bringing in facts about a club that has struggled with money for their entire existence, that implies a lot without any substance.

Put in the Bears and you strangle GWS to death, Put in Central Queensland and watch us have two identical teams that play in different colours (we'll end up having two cowboy teams, while waiting for a predicted boom that may take, as Gallop puts it, "decades"), Put in Ispwich and watch Sponsors, players and supporters spread themselves out over 3 teams instead of two (the very mistake the AFL has done, GWS only supporters are those who moved from other teams).

The only thing the "Western Jets" will do for the rest of the competition is have a more local derby between them and Brisbane, compared to the Bears that could bring that in with Newcastle, Manly, Souths, Wests and East not to mention other obvious rivals such as Cronulla and the Gold Coast. Rivalries is what bring the big games, and the big games bring the crowds something NSW League requires now more then ever.

Goddo

Bench
lol @ ipswich being discussed as top 2 favourites, they never make any media and when they do they are only announcing nothing stories or stories to update you on a bid and so far all the updates are far behind every other serious bid.

You don't need to impress Phil Rothfield, but the board of the ARLC who will be thinking in a similar fashion to the NRL clubs.

BDGS

Bench
The fact they ain't based in NSW: they are more lucrative to TV broadcasts throughout queensland.

Google the populations of NSW and Queensland, and then google the ABS population projections for 5, 10, 30 years from now (by which there should be at least 5 qld teams), then come back and tell me that the Bears are a better option.

Two things, the Ipswich Jets aren't trying to become an NRL team, the Western Jets are.

The Western Jets are just a badly run organisation that has jumped on the back of other expansion team bids that pushed the door for expansion open (that was clearly bolted) in the first place, and i talk of the CC Bears, WA Reds and the CQ bid.

BDGS

Bench
You don't need to impress Phil Rothfield, but the board of the ARLC who will be thinking in a similar fashion to the NRL clubs.

And the leader of the ARLC will still be Gallop, who is very favoured towards the Bears and the Reds.

Goddo

Bench
And the difference there is the management structure and business structure. The Bears have been working with the NRL on creating a Business structure that both brings success and a structure in which the NRL prefer.
But it all means nothing if the location is terrible relative to the other bids.

You can't start bringing in facts about a club that has struggled with money for their entire existence, that implies a lot without any substance.
The point I was making was that starting capital is nice, but proving you can generate long term revenue through TV deals is a different and more important matter.
Put in the Bears and you strangle GWS to death, Put in Central Queensland and watch us have two identical teams that play in different colours (we'll end up having two cowboy teams, while waiting for a predicted boom that may take, as Gallop puts it, "decades"), Put in Ispwich and watch Sponsors, players and supporters spread themselves out over 3 teams instead of two (the very mistake the AFL has done, GWS only supporters are those who moved from other teams).
what a load of crap. You say the Bears will strangle a team setting up in Blacktown. explain how for me please. Now show me how a third SE Qld team in an area with a population of 4.5m is a bad idea, particularily when there is a second AFL team there now.
Also, how will the Bears improve the sponsorship fortunes of the 11 other clubs based within 200km of Sydney compared to a third team in SE Queensland?
The only thing the "Western Jets" will do for the rest of the competition is have a more local derby between them and Brisbane, compared to the Bears that could bring that in with Newcastle, Manly, Souths, Wests and East not to mention other obvious rivals such as Cronulla and the Gold Coast. Rivalries is what bring the big games, and the big games bring the crowds something NSW League requires now more then ever.
But the NRL is a national comp, this isn't the NSWRL dopey. More rivalry in non-NSW clubs is what is needed. A better spread of clubs to reflect Australia's total population (hell, even just the RL friendly parts ie the under-represented Qld) is what is needed.
Rivalries are important, but not that important. New ones can be formed, and the old ones haven't seemed to create sell outs week in week out in Sydney.

BDGS

Bench
i can't believe how ignorant a lot of people are about this GWS thing, i don't like GWS but i am aware to what they are doing.

GWS have realised that there is simply not enough juniors in the area that the AFL has deemed "greater western Sydney" and will get their juniors from North Sydney (and up) and the hills district. The one area that isn't being covered by an NRL team.

Location should never be a factor when expanding, its the criteria and what the teams brings to the game.

TV revenue? lol has everybody forgotten who the second most watched team on TV was? For those with small memories it was the bears now with their added value of being on the Central Coast fulling two areas that do not have a NRL team representing them.

interesting comments on Rivalries, every time the Dragons play the Sharks at either Oki or Shark park both those stadiums are full. seriously wake up, insulting me now? losing patience with your lack of argument aye?

Yes this is the NRL not the NSWRL and that why it is important we let one of our states that have been in-fluxeded with many teams in the last few years is stable before we start adding to the mix.

Ipswich of all things, straight away the use of the word "jets" means people from South Logan and Toowoomba amongst other places in and around the area won't support it because they see this as only an Ispwich team.

Anyway if Ipswich is such a strong bid...

How many financial members have they got?
Who are their sponsors?
Where's their own stadium?
What colours will they wear? (not ispwich colours unless they want to further push out other fans)
Is their business structure based on the structure the NRL wanted?

this bid is just a few people, jumping on the bandwagon of expansion after the CC Bears, WA Reds and CQ NRL Bid pushed it open.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I really don’t get this ‘if we don’t do x then district x will be lost to RL’.

Brisbane has one team. One team covering from the CBD to Ipswich, to the Redlands, to Redcliffe, to the bay islands… People are going to follow other sports no matter if their ‘district’ is covered by a team in the national comp or not.

It’s just scaremongering and it doesn’t do any bid any favours when used as an argument for a new team.

BDGS

Bench
I really don’t get this ‘if we don’t do x then district x will be lost to RL’.

Brisbane has one team. One team covering from the CBD to Ipswich, to the Redlands, to Redcliffe, to the bay islands… People are going to follow other sports no matter if their ‘district’ is covered by a team in the national comp or not.

It’s just scaremongering and it doesn’t do any bid any favours when used as an argument for a new team.

Not about losing fans for viewers, its about Junior numbers in that area.