What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Poul

Juniors
I think one of my uncles played for Valleys, possible in the early '50s. Any suggestions on how I could verify this?

bobmar28

Bench
I'll assume you are not being smart, so:Tragically i've been on this forum long enough to say, go back years and you'll find me supportive of expansion where it be a sustained.

That has always meant a Central Coast, Perth, Wellington, Gold Coast and 2nd Brisbane area team, it doesn't imo mean Adelaide or even Central Queensland.

In the past i always thought the best mix/more likely scenario in SEQ was a GC team, a Broncos focused on Brisbane and to the south/west and a 2nd Brisbane team played at Suncorp but with a Brisbane North/Sunny Coast focus focus based at Redcliffe for training BUT the later hasn't materialised so yes a 2nd Brisbane area team based at Ipswich but called South Qld somethings would work equally as well. The numbers in SEQ obviously exist for another team, never doubted it.

Trouble is the bid Redcliffe or Ippy bid/campaign hasn't really stepped up in the way a CCB and Perth bid has.

If Ipswich can get some serious support behind them they would have to be considered for the next franchise along with Perth.

Poul

Juniors
Ask him...?

He's been dead for over 10 years. I only got to see him about once a year around Christmas, and I only found out about his Rugby League career, from his sister (my Mum), who had said he had played "first grade for Valleys", after his death.

Thanks mightybears. I'll look into it.

juanfarkall

Coach
I believe that Valleys hold a reunion each year around September/October each year meaning that you have probably just missed out on the 2010 one.
If you contact the QRL they may be able to put you in touch with blokes like Mick Retchless or Ron Gurnett.
Don't expect the QRL to have any records ... they are ordinary when it comes to recognising or even acknowledging their past.
A bloke named Greg Mallory also wrote a book regarding the history of the BRL, he may be able to help you or put you in touch with someone who can.
His contact details can easily be found on the internet but as far as I am aware cannot be posted on this site.

Dogs Of War

Coach
has there been anything further about this bid?

Really not much can be said. It needs the IC up and running, who need to announce a period so that bids can put together submissions with a guarantee that they would get in if selected. Maybe say one team in 2014, one in 2015. With the final selections announced in late 2012 so they have enough lead time to get everything in place.

Goddo

Bench
Well wether they call for bids depends on the response from TV companies to the idea of expansion.

It will take a few months for the IC to be up and running, and the first big item for them will be the TV deal, and any structual changes such as expansioin will follow from there.

August is a fair guess.

Highway1

Juniors
God help us, here we go. The Greater Western Brisbane Lakers, coming up.

Hope not, nobody will follow it.

They could play the Stoners Corner Stoners...

Or the good old Fortitude Valley Fortress

Both are still more viable than the Gazzas or Duracells imo.

We’re lucky that we are spoilt for choice when it comes to expansion.

The gazzas will spend $100m and still will get nothing, why? because its not a community driven team, its just a propaganda machine.

Yeah, community driven bids are the way to, especially in this economic climate.

well i'm saying South Queensland is better, but why wouldn't another 'Brisbane' work? Franchise mentally that currently exists means that its Heart and Victory anyway, even if they both start with Melbourne.

Well, if there is going to be a South Queensland, it better not be based on the disliking of the existing teams in South QLD, other it'll end up like the predecessor.

Highway1

Juniors
How does this bid expect to be taken serious if they are still confused about their identity and what area they are actually covering?

CCBEARS know what territories we will be covering, like wise with CQ & W.A. and even a second NZ team (which has no bid but knows what area they will cover).

I'm all for a 2nd Brisbane team, Ive lived there most of my life. But you also need organization to have a bid and this Ipswich or Western or South QLD bid has nothing at the moment. Let them sort out just what area they'll first be covering then everything will go from their (business model, ownership model, community initiatives, colours and branding, sponsors & corporate partners). However they have none of this at the moment because they are not sure what area they are bidding for.

We don't even know what the Ipswich bid team is comprised of, thats how behind they are. I just think that Ipswich like the Clem7 tunnel is way ahead of its time

Whats wrong with the Jets?

It's already synonymous with Newtown, if Ipswich adopts the name they'll play second fiddle for a long time.

Hear me out...

What if we had a team in brisbane like say Parramatta to Sydney, one of the largest suburbs by far is Sunnybank. It encompasses the centre of the southside and is surrounded by all the major southside suburbs. The government could finally do something with the old ANZ stadium as well (which is 2mins away).

Sunnybank Brothers. It keeps Brisbane out of the name so the Broncos are happy, it will be a true derby North v South and cover a huge market that is Brisbanes southside. The population is far greater than Ipswich, and will probably have a lot of Ipswich fans anyway.

Unfortunately, Sunnybank doesn't have that central status like Logan or Ipswich or even Sandgate (and therefore ability to represent the greater region whatever it may be), so it'll be pretty hard for a sunnybank franchise to gather support.

One of the best (imo) true-blue nicknames was the Diehards.
Are Valleys still around at all? I know the merge with Brothers didn't work out, but I've not heard of either of them since.

Valleys are now just a junior club. As also Brothers.

bobmar28

Bench
We don't even know what the Ipswich bid team is comprised of, thats how behind they are. I just think that Ipswich like the Clem7 tunnel is way ahead of its time

It's already synonymous with Newtown, if Ipswich adopts the name they'll play second fiddle for a long time.

Unfortunately, Sunnybank doesn't have that central status like Logan or Ipswich or even Sandgate (and therefore ability to represent the greater region whatever it may be), so it'll be pretty hard for a sunnybank franchise to gather support.

Valleys are now just a junior club. As also Brothers.

Adopt the name??? It's the name they have had for 30 yrs.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/ex-roosters-boss-for-ipswich/story-e6frg7mf-1225965418694

THE Ipswich consortium attempting to become the third NRL franchise in southeast Queensland is expected to appoint former Sydney Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan to oversee its bid.

The Australian
understands Canavan met Ipswich officials on Thursday and agreed to take a consultancy role with the bid team, which is vying to join an expanded NRL competition as early as 2013.

Although he has no official capacity in the game, Canavan remains one of its most respected officials. He was recently responsible for the overhaul of the NSW State of Origin set-up that led to the sacking of selectors and the appointment of Ricky Stuart as the first full-time coach.

But convincing NRL officials to include Ipswich in an expanded competition could be his greatest challenge, given that most of the clubs are yet to give full support to expansion.

While Central Coast and Perth are believed to be the leading candidates should the NRL decide to expand, there is support for another team in southeast Queensland because the area has only two clubs, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Some clubs believe a Central Coast outfit would erode Manly and Newcastle, strengthening the claims for another team in southeast Queensland.

The Ipswich consortium, which has held preliminary talks with the Queensland government about playing games out of Suncorp Stadium, is expected late next month to receive the results of a feasibility study into the bid to set up the new club. Provided the study offers positive feedback, Ipswich will have an official bid tabled to the NRL early next year.

Consortium head Steve Johnson yesterday implored the NRL to act before the area was lost to the cashed-up AFL.

"We've got the fastest-growing area in Australia," Johnson said of the corridor from Ipswich to the Gold Coast.

"The AFL has already shown its hand by going into western Sydney, which is rugby league heartland. If the AFL comes in here first, they're going to snaffle the corporate dollar.

"If we come in second, we're going to be coming from behind. The difficult thing is if we put a side in central Queensland but not the Ipswich-Logan corridor, the corridor may not get that chance again.

"In the fullness of time I would love to see a team in central Queensland. Queensland deserves five teams. The real risk is if you don't put a team in this corridor now, the chance may be lost forever."

Ipswich officials have held informal talks with prospective players and coaches should they receive the thumbs-up from the NRL to go ahead.

Brisbane and Australian forward Sam Thaiday has emerged as one potential target, given his profile and ability.

Coaches could prove more problematic, because officials are likely to seek someone to work with the club before it enters the competition.

Former Melbourne assistant Michael Maguire, who led Wigan to last year's Super League title, is widely regarded as the next great NRL coach.

flamin

Juniors
Good stuff.

Don't like how the Jets, Bears and Central QLD are all using AFL scaremongering to justify their way into the comp though.
Agree.

If you want to be in the competition keep presenting sound reasons for your case, not "do it or the AFL will take over."

The AFL are no chances of putting any teams in any of those areas for a loooooooooooooooooong time. The worst they can do in those areas is what they already are doing, which isn't particularly threatening.

Latest posts