What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
No, it reflects the build time of getting a Stadium built if the bid is successful.

You see, Stadiums are big complex projects that require a lot of planning and financing, and then ususally have build times of around 2 years.

You have a very short memory - the Titans did the same thing before Skilled Park was finished, playing at Cararra Stadium.

They played at Cararra for one year while their Stadium was being built, YET the difference between the two is that Cararra is on the Gold Coast, the area the Gold Coast Titans represent!!

Whereas the Western Jets will play in an area already represented by the Broncos.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Rivalries for the Bears:

1. Newcastle because of the fact that will be the closest team to them.
2. Manly because of the close factor again but also because of the North Sydney ties that tie into the North Sydney-Manly fued and the recent acts of manly trying to take North Sydney and Central Coast Juniors (see the local central coast newspapers today)
3. Wests Tigers, it's a little of a long stretch but could make it work well.
4. Sydney Roosters - Both Foundation Clubs.
5. South Sydney - old Fashion Norths vs Souths but also because of the helpful nature of the Rabbitohs towards the Central Coast Bears NRL Bid and the feeder Arrangements between the South Sydney Rbbbitohs and the North Sydney Bears.
6. Cronulla-Sutherland for trying to con the NRL with an attempted "relocation" to the coast that only included 6 games and no change of name or identity for the sharks.

lol @ bold

Would you like an arrow for that longbow?

BDGS

Bench
lol @ bold

Would you like an arrow for that longbow?

Nothing makes me laugh more then a man with a storm trooper as his avatar with such a narrow mind.

Who is your team and how many rivalries do they have?

My team is the Bulldogs, The dogs have rivalries with Parramatta, Brisbane, St. George, friendly rivalry with the Rabbitohs (reason for yearly Easter match up) and Sydney Roosters.

Most teams have more then two and it's quite obvious that all those teams that i mentioned for the bears (with perhaps the exception of the Sharks and Tigers) would have a strong rivalry.

Even the Sharks and Tigers have massive potential, particularly if Chris Heighington keep his word and becomes the Central Coast Bears first Captain.

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol What?

By your reasoning, very weak reasoning, any club can have a "rivalry" with any other club if you take it to extreme obsurdity.

Yet you say that a new SEQ side would have no rivalries even though there are 2 teams in close proximity, one of them being one of the most hated teams in the comp.

Mike_Jets

Juniors
The Bulldogs have a friendly rivalry with Souths?!? I thought the Doggies had an unfriendly rivalry with everyone...

BDGS

Bench
lol What?

By your reasoning, very weak reasoning, any club can have a "rivalry" with any other club if you take it to extreme obsurdity.

Yet you say that a new SEQ side would have no rivalries even though there are 2 teams in close proximity, one of them being one of the most hated teams in the comp.

If you go back and read what i said again you will find that i said it would have no rivarlies apart from the Brisbane Broncos, now i conceed that the Titans may become a rivalry of the Western Jets but that wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as their one against the Broncos and would only be based on location then anything else.

And it is interesting how you say history is "very weak reasoning".

Mike_Jets

Juniors
Not having a go at you, I actually like the atmosphere at the Doggies vs Bunnies games.
That and against St Merge and Roosters are the best games to go to.
I was brought up with real football back home where you get segregated by a wire fence from opposition fans, and I must admit I miss that hate fueled passion every so often.

Joker's Wild

Coach
If you go back and read what i said again you will find that i said it would have no rivarlies apart from the Brisbane Broncos, now i conceed that the Titans may become a rivalry of the Western Jets but that wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as their one against the Broncos and would only be based on location then anything else.

And it is interesting how you say history is "very weak reasoning".

Where did I say that history was weak reasoning? Weak reasoning is saying, and I quote "Even the Sharks and Tigers have massive potential, particularly if Chris Heighington keep his word and becomes the Central Coast Bears first Captain." So a player leaves one team for another and there is an automatic club rivalry? Wow

The Titans started out fresh and will build rivalries and so will a 2nd Brissy team. History takes time to build but that doesnt mean its not worth taking the time to build it.

BDGS

Bench
Where did I say that history was weak reasoning? Weak reasoning is saying, and I quote "Even the Sharks and Tigers have massive potential, particularly if Chris Heighington keep his word and becomes the Central Coast Bears first Captain." So a player leaves one team for another and there is an automatic club rivalry? Wow

The Titans started out fresh and will build rivalries and so will a 2nd Brissy team. History takes time to build but that doesnt mean its not worth taking the time to build it.

Of course player swapping produces rivalry, its silly to say it can't or doesn't. If Inglis signed with the Broncos, next years Bronco/Strom games would of full of heat (given is Brisbane and melbourne are any good next year) but now that he is in a big mess if he even gets to play for Souths then there won't be a rivarly because he swapped.

I didn't say player swapping makes rivalries, i said they have the potential too.

You said history was weak reasoning when you said my reasoning was weak, history is where the reasoning comes from.

Who are the Titans rivals apart from the Broncos? The Titans-Cowboy games have no rivalry about them.

Joker's Wild

Coach
They must have a pretty big rivalry with the Tigers given a fair chunk of their players, including their marquee signing, came directly from there.

Your reasoning, not mine

BDGS

Bench
They must have a pretty big rivalry with the Tigers given a fair chunk of their players, including their marquee signing, came directly from there.

Your reasoning, not mine

The potential was there, but it didn't happen.

Some work and grow, others don't and die but the potential is there.

Joker's Wild

Coach
So the Titans are a failure because they have no "rivalries" and another SEQ team which will more than likely bring in tonnes of fans, increased coverage in Australias 2nd biggest RL city, 12 more games into argueably the best supported RL city in Australia, shouldnt be considered because there is only 2 "rivalries" to be had in their location.

I notice you want to bring in the Reds for 2013. What "rivalries" do they bring with them exactly?

BDGS

Bench
So the Titans are a failure because they have no "rivalries" and another SEQ team which will more than likely bring in tonnes of fans, increased coverage in Australias 2nd biggest RL city, 12 more games into argueably the best supported RL city in Australia, shouldnt be considered because there is only 2 "rivalries" to be had in their location.

I notice you want to bring in the Reds for 2013. What "rivalries" do they bring with them exactly?

A couple of things here,

1st i never said the Titans are a failure, they are in fact a very well run club with a great business plan and i would love the next two expansion teams to be as successful as the Titans have been.

I didn't say they are failures for not having many rivalries and bringing in rivalries is no where near the highest "must have" to get a team but it certainly adds a extra bonus for those bids that can bring in rivalries that bring people through the gate.

2nd how will the Western Jets Bring in "tonnes of fans"?
This team is seen as the locals as Ipswich trying to cover more territory to help lift them into the NRL, how does that bring in any more fans let alone "tonnes"".
AND i think bids should have to prove that they will bring in, what you describe as, "Tonnes" more fans and have have more certainty then just "most likely's" all over the place.

3rd Not everything about a NRL Bid relies on rivalries as i have already stated, however Through discussion with many people a few months ago we came up with a few potential rivalries.

they were,
1. Melbourne Storm - the two clubs from outside of the "heartland states", also the situation of the two clubs in their respective cities/states would be more or less similar.
2. Brisbane Broncos - There are a few similarities being made between the Broncos and the Reds, i wasn't the one making them so i don't know them as of yet, however i could see the Reds and Broncos bringing up some new rivalry to the NRl competition.
3. New Zealand Warriors - Away games for both the Red against the Warriors and the Warriors against the Reds would be hard trips, a kick off for for 7.30pm in WA would be 11.30 pm Warriors time and a 7.30pm game in Auckland would be 3.30pm in WA. For this reason alone there would be some form of Rivalry there.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Sounds like a whole bunch of "most likelys" to me there mate.

Oh and btw, another team in a 1 team city of over 2 million, 12 extra games a year and an alternative to the Donkeys will attract plenty of numbers champ. It's really not rocket surgery

Brutus

Referee
Brisbane people will support an alternative to the Donkeys in very good numbers if the club is run well and there is no Superleague rubbish to ruin everything.

BDGS

Bench
Sounds like a whole bunch of "most likelys" to me there mate.

Oh and btw, another team in a 1 team city of over 2 million, 12 extra games a year and an alternative to the Donkeys will attract plenty of numbers champ. It's really not rocket surgery

What i have said comes from history, have a look at that and you'll find it and where it doesn't relate to history i make a point of saying its only from my opinion.

Goddo

Bench
With the Jets stadium, I hope they go for a Suncorp / EnergyAustralia style development rather than a Skilled Park model.

Build an large Eastern and Western Grandstand with North and South hills with a capacity of around 30,000, that can be enlarged and enclosed by Northern and Southern stands if needed bringing capacity to around 35-40k.

I just think the all enclosed 1 piece stadiums like Skilled Park have limited future development oportunity and are too cookie cutter. Good now, but might be getting awkward in +20 years time, and you end up having to bulldoze the whole site.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
With the Jets stadium, I hope they go for a Suncorp / EnergyAustralia style development rather than a Skilled Park model.

Build an large Eastern and Western Grandstand with North and South hills with a capacity of around 30,000, that can be enlarged and enclosed by Northern and Southern stands if needed bringing capacity to around 35-40k.

I just think the all enclosed 1 piece stadiums like Skilled Park have limited future development oportunity and are too cookie cutter. Good now, but might be getting awkward in +20 years time, and you end up having to bulldoze the whole site.

Can you and everyone else on this forum stop calling the Queensland bid the Jets. It is insulting to Newtown fans. There was only, and will ever be, one Jets as far as top-flight Rugby League is concerned and that's Newtown - regardless of whether Newtown are no longer in the top-flight. The 2nd Brisbane team / Ipswich bid will have to pick another name if they get in the NRL.

And besides, using the Jets name will piss off a signifcant part of your potential supporter base as it will alienate everyone else in Brisbane that doesn't have any association with Ipswich.

Last edited: