What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
I still do not understand how a team with a generic name can sue another team trying to adopt that name in another competition. I don't think that Redcliffe "forced" the GC bid into anything but they'd have rather pick a name that was easy and wouldn't ruffle feathers than pick a name they'd have to fight over.

Jets is a bloody generic name with the brand represented in several sports across several countries. If a soccer franchise started calling themselves the Rabbitohs then Souths would have recourse but if they decided to be the Ispwich Rams I doubt Adelaide or the QLD baseball team or the St. Louis Rams would be able to sue them over it.

It is a little difference across countries but point taken.

jim_57

Staff member
Thats the spirit. If the Ipswich Jets were smart, they would take advantage of the Newtown Jets supporter base and have a blue jersey and have an arrangement with Newtown. Play a trial game at Henson Park against Souths. Sell some merchandise and tickets at $15. Souths would do it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all if they established a partnership with Newtown, have a blue alternate for Sydney games and offer Sydney based memberships, I'm they could get a few Newtown supporters to take it up.

I wouldn't be at all against a relocation of the Jets either, like the Bears moved to CC to re-establish themselves in the NRL the Jets could perhaps get a bid team in Adelaide or Sunshine Coast for example using their colours and embracing their history. Ofcourse if it is the Western Jets that get into the NRL from Brosbane that would rule any such thing out. Personally I'd prefer any new Brisbane based team
to go by an old BRL name like Borthers, Diehards etc.

dgsfan

Juniors
Does the Brothers name have any religious derivations or connotations at all? I think that could alienate a lot of fans if that's the case.

dgsfan

Juniors
In our ever growing secular and multi-religious society I don't think the name Brothers would be appropriate for a national football team.

beave

Coach
'Brothers' seems to be alot bigger in QLD for some reason than NSW, most larger towns/cities up here all seem to have a Brothers Leagues club. I never really noticed that many when I lived in NSW. The slang for them is usually 'The Fish' or 'Fish eaters' with the obvious being for the Catholic traditions with meat on Fridays.

Last edited:

Mike_Jets

Juniors
I still do not understand how a team with a generic name can sue another team trying to adopt that name in another competition. I don't think that Redcliffe "forced" the GC bid into anything but they'd have rather pick a name that was easy and wouldn't ruffle feathers than pick a name they'd have to fight over.

Jets is a bloody generic name with the brand represented in several sports across several countries. If a soccer franchise started calling themselves the Rabbitohs then Souths would have recourse but if they decided to be the Ispwich Rams I doubt Adelaide or the QLD baseball team or the St. Louis Rams would be able to sue them over it.

Pretty sure it only applies to a single nation and its something to do with merchandise - any team could call themselves the "Tigers" as many do but only Wests and those they "allow" can be Australian and sell merch at Rebel for example. I think the sports also have to be similar in a way - ie no way a super 24 (or whatever that cr@p league is now called) team could be placed in West Sydney and called the Eels but a netball team in Wagga Wagga could...

bobmar28

Bench
That is irrelevant. If the Dolphins can stop the GC NRL team from using the name Dolphins and apparently the Sharks stopped the GC AFL team from using the name Sharks, then the Newtown Jets can stop anyone using the name 'jets'.

The fact that Ipswich used the name in a competition that the Newtown Jets were never apart of does not come into the picture when talking about an NRL bid.

But i probably can't expect that kind of understanding from you, especially when you can't even understand how to spell Ipswich in your Signature.

You got me there. Blame my daughter, she does all this technical stuff for me.

I would be astounded if Newtown was able to block a name that has been in use for 30 years. It would look like sour grapes or taking your bat and ball home.

The Sharks and Dolphins had a problem with new teams adopting those names. I'm assuming Newtown had no such problem with Ipswich adopting the name JETS back in the eighties.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty sure it only applies to a single nation and its something to do with merchandise - any team could call themselves the "Tigers" as many do but only Wests and those they "allow" can be Australian and sell merch at Rebel for example. I think the sports also have to be similar in a way - ie no way a super 24 (or whatever that cr@p league is now called) team could be placed in West Sydney and called the Eels but a netball team in Wagga Wagga could...

When SL started in UK Bradford decided on Bulls but had long drawn out negotiations with Chicago. I think most of it was over the logo as they were very simliar. My memory is that once they convinced the NBA team that they wouldn;t lose any merchandise sales etc from them using it they were ok.

I've trademarked some names for work and it is grey but if they are in the same market/product field then you can apply for the competitors trademark to be denied and as we have International trademark agreements that can be across nations.

images

chicago-bulls.jpg

bobmar28

Bench
Wouldn't be a bad idea at all if they established a partnership with Newtown, have a blue alternate for Sydney games and offer Sydney based memberships, I'm they could get a few Newtown supporters to take it up.

I wouldn't be at all against a relocation of the Jets either, like the Bears moved to CC to re-establish themselves in the NRL the Jets could perhaps get a bid team in Adelaide or Sunshine Coast for example using their colours and embracing their history. Ofcourse if it is the Western Jets that get into the NRL from Brosbane that would rule any such thing out. Personally I'd prefer any new Brisbane based team
to go by an old BRL name like Borthers, Diehards etc.

I've heard everything now. Why would the IPSWICH JETS relocate to Adelaide when the greatest need for an expansion team is in SEQ?

Why would the Sunshine Coast want a relocated Ipswich when they could have their own team some day?

Bro Bear

Juniors
Does the Brothers name have any religious derivations or connotations at all? I think that could alienate a lot of fans if that's the case.

Once a time all players that played for the Brother's clubs had to be Catholic, not anymore. Just like the Bulldogs, many years ago you had to a Catholic to play for the club.

This age a club being called Brothers would not be taken with a religious cause. Many people called each other "Bro" as a meaning of affection, respect.

Personally be a great moniker. In hindsight if the Manly faction had decided to be behind the Northern Eagles shambles with a 100% loyalty, the CC Brothers could of worked.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
I've heard everything now. Why would the IPSWICH JETS relocate to Adelaide when the greatest need for an expansion team is in SEQ?

Why would the Sunshine Coast want a relocated Ipswich when they could have their own team some day?

Newtown, not Ipswich. If it is the Western/Ipswich/Brisbane Jets that are the next SEQ NRL team it would rule any such thing out, I'd personally prefer a second Brisbane team to go by and old BRL name. It wouldn't be a bad idea to open the name to voting like the Titans did, I don't see why a bid has to have a name set in stone, they could submit their bid to the NRL then run a poll for a name while they wait, it keeps people talking. They just need to get their location set in stone but the name can wait. How about this for a shortlist to vote on:

Brisbane/South Brisbane/Western/SEQ:

Jets
Diehards
Brothers
Dingos (One Fans Suggestion)

Personally I'd opt for Brisbane Diehards.

Goddo

Bench
I don't see why something like Ipswich-Logan won't work, then refered to as "Ipswich" in general conversation.

- it takes in the target area,
- they will be based in Springfield halfway between the two,
- there are a few precidents at a couple of Sydney clubs (Canterbury-Bankstown, St George Illawarra, Cronulla-Sutherland, Manly-Warringah)

Highway1

Juniors
A combined Ipswich-Logan team wont work because, historically Ipswich and Logan have nothing to do with each other, unlike Manly-Warringah and the likes. The re-enforce this fact, Ipswich lower grade clubs play in Ipswich competitions and Logan clubs play in either Brisbane or Gold Coast competitions, unlike for example Canterbury-Bankstown in which clubs from this area play within this area.

Brutus

Referee
It wasn't that long ago the Broncos were basically a South Brisbane team playing out of that dump in Nathan.

applesauce

Bench
It wasn't that long ago the Broncos were basically a South Brisbane team playing out of that dump in Nathan.

Upgrade the dump to a 35k seat stadium, the Roar, Reds and a South Brisbane team can play out of it.

It would be the best possible team to have in the comp, a true derby with the Broncos and cement Brisbane and the bulk of SE QLD as a RL mad area (Suns who?).

Latest posts