What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Bluebags1908

Juniors
If there was any hope of Newtown entering the NRL then there may be some argument, but there isn't so it doesn't matter if an NRL team uses the Jets name. Bit like the GC not being able to use Dolphins, its ridiculous, I am pretty sure that every name under the sun is bieng used by some team somewhere. As long as it doesn't clash with an exisitng or potential NRL side then I don't see a problem.

Yeah, as if Redcliffe had any hope of entering the NRL - they stopped the Gold Coast using Dolphins and they are not even bidding for 2013.

Whether Newtown have no hope of re-entering the NRL or not is irrelevant.

Brutus

Referee
Newtown had the Jets name first. Whilst the QRL competition did have some first-class players competing in it at the time, whether the QRL competition could be considered 'top flight' rugby League just prior to the Broncos entry into the NSWRL is debatable, as the NSWRL competition was universally regarded as the more superior competition at the time, hence the need for the Broncos to enter the NSWRL in the first place.

And besides even if we all agree that the QRL competition is considered 'top flight', what do you think the reaction from Balmain would be if the Easts Tigers entered the NSWRL competition in 1988 instead of the Broncos? Or the reaction from Penrith Panters to Wests Panthers entering the NSWRL in 1988? Top-flight QRL competition or not they would not have been allowed to keep the name.

Imagine if QLD clubs had pokies back then and NSW didn't...

The difference being...with your last par the Newtown Jets are no longer part of top flight RL. They haven't been since the final round in 1983. There shouldn't be an issue with the Jets name being used by a club that has been known as the Jets for a long time now (Ipswich). If there was already a Jets name in the NRL then sure, it's a no go, but there is no 'Jets' name being used so the coast is clear for Ipswich ect.

Brutus

Referee
The Bluebags which became the Jets, playing out of the NSWRL competition which is the forerunner to the current NRL. These are facts you cannot dispute.

And they are no longer in the NRL and will never be in the NRL again. Other facts that cannot be disputed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, as if Redcliffe had any hope of entering the NRL - they stopped the Gold Coast using Dolphins and they are not even bidding for 2013.

Whether Newtown have no hope of re-entering the NRL or not is irrelevant.

my point exactly! Newtown will forever more be a semi pro side in a 2nd level comp. If Ipswich want to use their own name in the NRL it is up to them and Newtown should not have any say in the matter.

Brutus

Referee
my point exactly! Newtown will forever more be a semi pro side in a 2nd level comp. If Ipswich want to use their own name in the NRL it is up to them and Newtown should not have any say in the matter.

Exactly.

Ipswich are merely using their own name in the hope of gaining entry to a comp that doesn't have a team called the Jets and never will unless Ippy get in.

BDGS

Bench
No it shows how little you know about it.

You know almost nothing about the bid, yet you are the loudest detractor.

You look foolish everytime you say something.

lol righto, what ever you say is correct.

It goes to show how far behind this bid and how amateur it really is, to not even have a name, colours, identity or stadiums yet (the basic things) shows how far it has to come along in 4 months. They have to do everything all other bids have done over 2-3 years plus more in 4 months to get a team.

BDGS

Bench
Totally disagree. The NSWRL is the forerunner to the NRL. Newtown played in the competition that is the forerunner to the NRL. Wynnum-Manly didn't.

Don't believe me? Check out David Middletown's yearbook and have a read through the list of premiership winners - 2010 says St. George Illawarra, 1999 syas Melbourne, 1998 says Brisbane, 1994 says Canberra, 1983 says Parramatta, 1976 says Manly, and 1910, 1933, and 1943 says Newtown.

Exactly this, QLD league supporters also dispute the fact that the NSWRL was the forerunner to the NRL and don't want to hear anything that states otherwise. When it is brought up they spit the dummy and say stuff like "NSWelshmen think the comp is the N(sw)RL and not the National Rugby League".

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
lol righto, what ever you say is correct.

It goes to show how far behind this bid and how amateur it really is, to not even have a name, colours, identity or stadiums yet (the basic things) shows how far it has to come along in 4 months. They have to do everything all other bids have done over 2-3 years plus more in 4 months to get a team.

Compare the GC bid in 2004 to the GC Titans first season in 2007 and look at where the Jets are now in comparison to an entry in 2013.

BDGS

Bench
Compare the GC bid in 2004 to the GC Titans first season in 2007 and look at where the Jets are now in comparison to an entry in 2013.

GC bid has lots of media attention in all states, Ipswich only gets a relatively small amount of media attention in Queensland and none at all in NSW.

In Sydney there was a huge feeling (or acknowledgement) before the decision was made that the Gold Coast were going to win the rights to a NRL license, in NSW ipswich is not even in the top three bid in regards to media attention and awareness.

Seeming as though the NRL are in Sydney, that is usually a fair good guide to see if/when/how outter state (to NSW) teams will be entered into the NRL.

The difference is ask anyone in 2004 who the new team would be, they would say GC, ask anyone now and they say one of:

CC and CQ
CC and WA
WA and CQ

The GC bid was also a more community effort and always received high amounts of press and good work (exact same thing the Bears are getting now).

A easy way to judge is go back in time and go to NRL sites in 2004, every site had news or a section of a forum for the GC bid, whereas only two forum sites have sections for ipswich and many others with nothing for them. And by websites there isn't much news on NRL news sites and or news websites about the bid.

Infact this site alone has the highest amount of news (which is not much) about this bid then any other site.

Fact is ipswich (apart from out of favoured channel 9 commentators saying we need another brisbane team (not ipswich)) doesn't get much press due to the fact of how behind it is and how little it is doing.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Imagine if QLD clubs had pokies back then and NSW didn't...

The difference being...with your last par the Newtown Jets are no longer part of top flight RL. They haven't been since the final round in 1983. There shouldn't be an issue with the Jets name being used by a club that has been known as the Jets for a long time now (Ipswich). If there was already a Jets name in the NRL then sure, it's a no go, but there is no 'Jets' name being used so the coast is clear for Ipswich ect.

I m not disputing the poker machine issue. That is a separte arguement for another day.

And they are no longer in the NRL and will never be in the NRL again. Other facts that cannot be disputed.

You Sydney-haters just don't get it. Using the lame excuse that "Newtown will never re-enter the top-flight so Ipswich can use the Jets name" doesn't cut it. Why? Because that same Newtown club still exists. If the Newtown club did not exist at all in any way shape or form, then another team using Jets is fine. But Newtown still exists. The same Newtown that participated in the top-flight as the Jets. And because they still exist, the currrent Newtown in part and quite justifiably uses its proud history of being in the top flight for 76 years as a powerful method of promoting the club and their history and achievements to sponsors, etc. And that includes the Jets name.

If another NRL team called themselves the Jets, it would hurt the current Newtown commerically and financially. It would erode the current Newtown's name and image as a past participant in the top flight, so Newtown has every right to protect and defend it's name.

I have nothing against a 2nd Brisbane team and good luck to them - so long as they call themselves something else.

My personal opinion is that irrespective of the Newtown issue, unless the 2nd Brisbane team decides to promote themselves as an Ipswich-only team then it isn't going to be such a smart idea using the Jets name and alienating themselves from the rest of Brisbane.

I know that the usual Sydney-hating suspects such as Perth Red, Bobmar, and some (not all) Queenslanders that have been raised from birth to hate anything NSW irrespective of the reasoning or logic behind any constructive debate will no doubt send in their brainwashed anti-NSW replies... I am just stating my opinion and you are entitled to disagree.

I just feel that the arrogant way that some on this thread have called the Queensland bid 'Jets' as if Newtown Jets do not exist, that the Jets naming issue at least deserved a comment from a Newtown Jets fan which I feel is relevant on this Ipswich Jets bid thread.

I'll leave my comments at that on this topic. There is no point in replying to this post expecting another reply from me, as I don't want to waste my time arguing with Sydney-haters.

Last edited:

applesauce

Bench
GC bid has lots of media attention in all states, Ipswich only gets a relatively small amount of media attention in Queensland and none at all in NSW.

In Sydney there was a huge feeling (or acknowledgement) before the decision was made that the Gold Coast were going to win the rights to a NRL license, in NSW ipswich is not even in the top three bid in regards to media attention and awareness.

Seeming as though the NRL are in Sydney, that is usually a fair good guide to see if/when/how outter state (to NSW) teams will be entered into the NRL.

The difference is ask anyone in 2004 who the new team would be, they would say GC, ask anyone now and they say one of:

CC and CQ
CC and WA
WA and CQ

The GC bid was also a more community effort and always received high amounts of press and good work (exact same thing the Bears are getting now).

A easy way to judge is go back in time and go to NRL sites in 2004, every site had news or a section of a forum for the GC bid, whereas only two forum sites have sections for ipswich and many others with nothing for them. And by websites there isn't much news on NRL news sites and or news websites about the bid.

Infact this site alone has the highest amount of news (which is not much) about this bid then any other site.

Fact is ipswich (apart from out of favoured channel 9 commentators saying we need another brisbane team (not ipswich)) doesn't get much press due to the fact of how behind it is and how little it is doing.

Who are you trying to convince? No-one here will be on the IC.

You reek of fear and desperation, why don't you keep this thread to news and topics relating to the bid and it's progression, not your poorly informed opinion.

Wait till mid next year before you bitch. A decision isn't close to being made...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Enough with the emotional crap.

Unless Newtown have copyrighted the Jets name, then there is nothing to stop Ipswich using it.

The NSWRL competition was the forerunner to the NRL. Not anymore.

There is nothing to stop Ipswich from using the name Jets. How the GC weren't allowed to use the name Dolphins is a mystery to me, I didn't even know that Redcliffe had the name copyrighted.

BDGS

Bench
Who are you trying to convince? No-one here will be on the IC.

You reek of fear and desperation, why don't you keep this thread to news and topics relating to the bid and it's progression, not your poorly informed opinion.

Wait till mid next year before you bitch. A decision isn't close to being made...

I do love low intelligent attempts at exclusion.

I have nothing to "bitch" (as you put it) about, especially seeing all i was doing there was answering a question from another poster not trying to convince anybody, anything.

beave

Coach
they need to market them as the SthQLD Jets............ or something else (I still reckon Dingos), drop the western/Ippy BS.

joshreading

Staff member
SQ Diggers - I don't mind the Jets but imagine if you could come up with an arrangement with the Mines and RSL as two key potential identity groups.

Diggers as a name is iconic as an Aussie image, unlike most of the recent team additions (mine included) It would contrast like day and night with the Broncos, which would be key in creating rivalry but also clear distinction for new fans. If you use 'Diggers' in a doubled way (with a miner) you would also invite obvious connections with the corporate dollar found in the mining industry.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should drop the idea of Western as well. As much as it hurts BDGS the NRL isn;t some small time suburban comp anymore.

applesauce

Bench
South Brisbane Brothers will incorporate the whole of Brisbanes South, Logan & Ipswich (considering their proximity and general stereotypical association with South Brisbane).

Latest posts